As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just Cause 2: Causing Harder

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sometimes I forget that this game has a story and enemies.

I just want to basejump and do stunts.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think the beauty of it is that the story actually involves you doing some of that wacky shit anyway so it doesn't make an ounce of difference. One of the walkthrough previews has Rico tasked with aqcuiring a target alive. The guy is stood in one of the bridged sectioned you get between two skyscrapers. You could fly in on a chopper and then land in the bridged section and get him that way or you could go up from the ground climbing the building using the grapple. Or, my favourite, dive out of a chopper, sky-dive down , time your grapple shot to hit the guy and pull him out of the bridge, then release your 'chute, gliding harmlessly to the ground with your target in tow.

edit: I should get paid by Avalanche the amount shilling I'm doing

Big Classy on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

I loved Bionic Commando, so mixing that with what looks like Mercenaries 2 style gameplay sounds wonderful.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The grappling is much easier to use than BC and the game in general is going to be better than Mercs 2, in fact lots of games are better than Mercs 2.

edit: My god what have I become D:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    The grappling is much easier to use than BC and the game in general is going to be better than Mercs 2, in fact lots of games are better than Mercs 2.

I didn't mind BC's swing mechanic, actually. And I'm sure it's going to be better than Mercs 2... which was unfinishable for me due to constant freezing.

Viva la Just Cause 2, rabble rabble etc.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just found an amazing preview. HERE.

Oh what's that you say? You can't be bothered reading it all? Sure, I'll quote some of the better stuff, I aim to serve.*

Amount of missions
    there were still literally hundreds of locked primary and side-missions littered across Panau just begging to be uncovered. Make no mistake, a full playthrough of Just Cause 2 including all the secondary objectives will rest on the upper-echelons of game length for a sandbox title.
    Variety in the missions
    Given just a few hours of hands on time with the game, we were already flying a light plane through a time trialled air race, slinging between cable cars to scale a ravine, scaling a skyscraper to rescue an alcoholic informant from armoured gunships, and blowing up a heavily defended gas depot to convince one of the game's factions that we were worthy of their cause. So, in a word, yes: there seems to be enough variation on hand in the missions, and that's without even considering the novel gameplay features that Avalanche has provided to aid the over-the-top sandbox antics.
    Environment visuals
    , the environments are both far-reaching and widely varied in Just Cause 2, exhibiting the impressive capabilities of the Avalanche 2.0 engine. Sticky, humid jungles blend effortlessly into humble townships or areas of heavy industry, before rising up into rocky mountains caked in powdery snow.
    The view of this from the ground is impressive, but pales in comparison to the simply stunning vistas on show when parachuting Rico down onto Panau from a high altitude.
    physics
    One car crash that left our vehicle plummeting down a mountainside into a cascade of flips and rolls was particularly lifelike and knocked on the door of GTA IV levels of credibility, putting the flimsy physics of most other sandbox games to shame.

*You lazy assholes.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I love you.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here's IGNs take on it.

They're not sold on the variety which is the complete opposite of the previous preview I posted. They love the getting around method going so far as to say it's as good as the better spider-man games out there.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rumors of a demo for PC/PS3/360 this Thursday (25th)? I really hope it's true. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah the official forums are going apeshit over the rumor. Also, another Anatomy of a Stunt trailer!
    Fire Truck VS Jet Plane

Big Classy on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    PC

There's a fucking PC version in the pipe?

Mother. Of. God.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The demo is allegedly already showing on steam. Allegedly. Since I can't actually verify it myself. It's supposedly locked.

Oh, and the guy that's selling the game, the face, if you will, says there's a big surprise for PC gamers.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The demo is allegedly already showing on steam. Allegedly. Since I can't actually verify it myself. It's supposedly locked.

Oh, and the guy that's selling the game, the face, if you will, says there's a big surprise for PC gamers.

Considering the second class status of PC gamers in multi-platform releases, my big surprise will be a PC version released the same date as the console versions instead of 2 months later. Or controls that are, you know, actually fine tuned for the keyboard and mouse.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    HAHA! That's exactly what I was thinking! Avalanche were quick to point out that the PC version is most definitely not a port. But then every developer claims that and well, the result is less than pretty.

In any case, a tone of new screens are popping up every where and I'm really hoping the OP keeps the front fresh because this game looks pretty hot.

Spoilered for massiveness

meri-image48.jpg

meri-image44.jpg

just_cause_2_16_11.jpg

meri-image61.jpg

meri-image64.jpg

meri-image43.jpg

meri-image63.jpg

meri-image57.jpg

just_cause_2_16_20.jpg

just_cause_2_16_06.jpg

enjoy 'em folks.

Edit: Nice, it seems there are some video blogs or vlogs (?!) on their way regarding different features of the game. The first is about the PS3's recording functionality and youtube compatibility feature. No set date on when it'll be up but sooner rather than later seems about right.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe the PC version will have the Youtube function too, as well as some sort of sandbox/level editor.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Those are the current rumors. I'm expecting a modding announcement to be honest.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mods, a built-in demo recording app and a competent level editor would make this a day goddamn one for me.

Robman on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As a grammar nazi, it annoys me that they're not proofreading these "anatomy of a stunt" videos at all, or at least the person doing them has a really poor grasp of the nuances of the english language.

I let the re-enforced thing slide in the first video, but now they're talking to us about "horse power".

It's just off enough to make me twitch a little, you know? Like no one at the developer or publisher noticed this before the videos were released?
    Also, the aircraft's thrust (not power) should be measured in pound-force or newtons. As in, 50,000lbf. Power requires work to be done (velocity), so no matter how much thrust there is, if a plane is standing still, it will still be generating zero power.

Hence, aircraft engine performance is never measured in power generated, but thrust.

Yes, I am that guy.

On a lighter note, I was really hoping for an actual collision in that video, but I guess that's asking for too much. It would probably look awful, anyways. Sadly, we're not at that level of simulation yet. Maybe next gen. :(

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Haha, is it wrong that I'm glad they got all that stuff wrong? During a preview on Gamespot's On the Spot feature, after the host had asked how Rico can fire a rocket launcher whilst parachuting the Squeenix rep playing replied 'Because it's fun'. That's the kind of game I want.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In their defense, English is not their first language.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haha, is it wrong that I'm glad they got all that stuff wrong? During a preview on Gamespot's On the Spot feature, after the host had asked how Rico can fire a rocket launcher whilst parachuting the Squeenix rep playing replied 'Because it's fun'. That's the kind of game I want.

Well, that's different. I have no qualms with wacky physics, or gameplay over realism. No qualms whatsoever. It's my own game design motto. It's lack of polish I have a problem with, and which this is an indication of. And bad grammar.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Well, that's different. I have no qualms with wacky physics, or gameplay over realism. No qualms whatsoever. It's my own game design motto. It's lack of polish I have a problem with, and which this is an indication of. And bad grammar.

As a grammar nazi, I take offense to this. It should be "It's a lack of polish I have a problem with, which this is an indication of." You silly, grammar-challenged goose.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZING

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Amen.

I love over the top stuff like this and can't wait for release.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I found a really good preview of this from Kotaku. Funny thing? It's from near enough a year ago. Last E3 to be precise. Opening line pretty much spells out everything I felt about the first, despite everybody else not diging it quite as much as I did :P
    I saw plenty of games this past week. Some good. Some bad. Some worse. But only one game could be the best-looking thing I saw all week. And that game was Just Cause 2.

Full write up.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What's wrong with shooting a rocket launcher while parachuting?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Nothing, and GamesMaster magazine in the UK most likely agrees! They got the first review and gave it 86%.
    One poster at the official game forums comments
    86%! GamesMaster adored it though. They did sadly comment on how it looks better on 360 with a better frame rate, but they loved the game. They liked the grapple, skydiving, memorable missions and some incredible conflagrations. They criticised it for having annoying missions with poor checkpoint design, and vehicle handling. They did however LOVE a vehicle chase down a snowy mountain, made better by the dodgy handling!
    They say "You'll want to invest at least 30-40 hours into this baby!" They love most of the missions. They say its the best 'Zany' sandbox out there. Just say the rough edges let it down, which might be fixed by a patch or two.

That's pretty much what I expected. Good signs!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Blain on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wow. If that's the surprise consider me shocked. I would have though a relatively unknown developer would want to push this out to as many PCs as possible. I was also looking forward to trying out the demo on mine :(

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sony better push an install feature to fix "dodgy framerate".

Been playing JC1 though, and hell yeah the driving is shitty.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    I spent most of my time grappled to the back, parasailing because I hated the steering of cars. That said, the new one doesn't look that bad. Hell, the crashes are spectacular so I'll probably do it on purpose.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stunt position keeps getting me killed.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Hop between cars when they come near you. The best thing is when you're in stunt position and the car goes off a cliff. Usually it looks cool, pulling the 'chute as the car falls down in a fiery explosion. But every so often, the car will flip over and you'd be under the car still stood on it. You don't die though, you just sorta glitch through the ground.

Oh, and the underwater planes, I loved those.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Another review! This time a german mag and they loved it.
    59 vehicles with 3 or more wheels
    13 Motorbikes
    7 planes
    7 choppers
    18 boats

= 104

Oh one tractor is named "Dongtai Agriboss 9000"

Other impressions:

- The world is "believable" ( civilian behaviour , ground and air traffic )
    - Not very much Animals
    - Cars can be upgraded 6 Times ( vehicle parts must be collected )
    - GREAT physic engine, good to experiment with
    - Top Graphics
    - Useful PDA with informations bout discovered Locations
    - takes bout 15 - 20 h to discover all 368 Locations ( including some "quick travel" )
    - 50 sec loading time before Start, after that just in story based Missions
    - some POP UPS
    - really BAD GERMAN TRANSLATION ( but also playable in English )
    - Great Mission design, wont get boring.
    PREVIEW RATING 8,5 / 10

taken from 360! Magazine, germany

The vehicles don't include secret ones so bear that in mind.

edit: that's actually a review of a preview build as opposed to the final. They have some funky stuff, those Germans!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    you americans might not get all the pre-order bonuses in one package but you do get an awesome deal at gamestop. A monster truck with a mounted grenade launcher. Did i mention it floats?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OXM UK gives it an 8/10. Point of note taken from another forum:
    mile high club mission that see's you jumping off the brothel chasing a huge bomb,there's a world war 2 base with japanese inhabitants with tesla coil technology

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    @mycoldman Wondering how big the Just Cause 2 demo is? Try 1.4Gb. Or Manhattan. Or Paris. Or more accurately 35 square miles.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    More importantly!

In reference to tweets about when the demo is coming out
    @Rossco909 @R1chJ @nlpsyconl Not long to go now guys, I'll be making an announcement very soon.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OXM UK gives it an 8/10. Point of note taken from another forum:
    mile high club mission that see's you jumping off the brothel chasing a huge bomb,there's a world war 2 base with japanese inhabitants with tesla coil technology

VIDEO GAMES VIDEO GAMES VIDEO GAMES VIDEO GAMES

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know right!

Man, you guys are gonna be basking in the glory of a demo and I'll have to settle for your descriptions of it :(

ALso, destructoid has a boner for it.
    No, really.
    Select quotes;
    Normally, a weak story like this would be a deal-breaker for me. But with Just Cause 2, I just don't care, and for one good reason: I've never had as much fun with a sandbox game as I have with Just Cause 2.

I'm not trying to discredit the story completely here, as it will push you to explore more of the game. The bottom line is that you'll want to play just for the absolute ridiculousness Just Cause 2 offers.
    Everything about Just Cause 2 is about having a good time. The game doesn't take itself too seriously, and I had a blast with what I got to experience. You're swinging around like a monkey with wings as you punch baddies in the face with bullets and a hook. What's not to love about that?

Also, the new Anatomy of a Stunt video is up on youtube but is private so fuck that noise.

Big Classy on