As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ PROTOTYPE ] - Rainbows and Unicorns on pg. 69.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yup.

THere's also a particular condition that makes hammertoss not arc down but instead home in 100% on a helicopter regardless of how far away it is.

I'm trying to work out what the fuck that condition is, I think it might be based on how the chopper is currently moving as well as you.

Because it's the best bug I've ever seen, I wouldn't be surprised if they know about it and just left it in.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yup.

THere's also a particular condition that makes hammertoss not arc down but instead home in 100% on a helicopter regardless of how far away it is.

I'm trying to work out what the fuck that condition is, I think it might be based on how the chopper is currently moving as well as you.

Because it's the best bug I've ever seen, I wouldn't be surprised if they know about it and just left it in.

Is hammertoss the one where you fly like Thor?

Ed321 on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So i was playing and it kept freezing and I was like "oh no my game is fucked"

then my 360 red ringed and i was like "phew"

and then "fuck"

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    I like to play this sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g7HyJQt6-Y

Maybe for some free-running. But I was also thinking:

Stan Bush's Dare for flying around the city.

Kicking the shit out of the military whilst I'm Alright from Caddyshack blares away in the background.

Yeah that's what I use it for. :P

@Ed: Yes.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited June 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    So i was playing and it kept freezing and I was like "oh no my game is fucked"

then my 360 red ringed and i was like "phew"

and then "fuck"

It means the game has clogged up your console with mangled limbs.

Ed321 on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I'm thinking about turning off the music and playing the Conan the Destroyer OST (my PC and 360 are linked up and share the same monitor) in the background instead.

Any other suggestions for alternate soundtracks?

Top Gun OST
    :whistle:You've lost that loving feeeeelin'
    :whistle:tooooo the Daaaaaanger Zoooo-ooo-oo-oo-oone:whistle:

Somehow, every game is made better for me with 'A Kiss To Build A Dream On' playing.

And Curb Stomp isn't a pre-req for Body Surfing, I think the only use it has is if you manage to knock a Hunter to the ground with something like a snapkick. Also, has anyone else noticed that if you use Hammertoss and move of a building he stays in mid-air?

I dunno, I kinda like to keep that indelibly associated with the Fallout series in my mind. I wear out songs pretty easily.

I normally wear them out too, and I know Fallout is the obvious choice, but it's just such a beautiful song that it seems to fit everywhere for me. Even in a game with a demigod body surfing dudes and hijacking helicopters :lol:

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited June 2009
    Mad World?

Over done?

I dunno I don't watch as many random music videos n shit as you guys so it hasn't been overplayed for me.

Morninglord on
    edited June 2009
    So I'm thinking about turning off the music and playing the Conan the Destroyer OST (my PC and 360 are linked up and share the same monitor) in the background instead.

Any other suggestions for alternate soundtracks?

Top Gun OST
    :whistle:You've lost that loving feeeeelin'
    :whistle:tooooo the Daaaaaanger Zoooo-ooo-oo-oo-oone:whistle:

Somehow, every game is made better for me with 'A Kiss To Build A Dream On' playing.

And Curb Stomp isn't a pre-req for Body Surfing, I think the only use it has is if you manage to knock a Hunter to the ground with something like a snapkick. Also, has anyone else noticed that if you use Hammertoss and move of a building he stays in mid-air?

I dunno, I kinda like to keep that indelibly associated with the Fallout series in my mind. I wear out songs pretty easily.

I normally wear them out too, and I know Fallout is the obvious choice, but it's just such a beautiful song that it seems to fit everywhere for me. Even in a game with a demigod body surfing dudes and hijacking helicopters :lol:

Would be pretty cool if you could apply post-filter effects to the game and turn it all black and white/grey :P

Ed321 on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mad World?

Over done?

I dunno I don't watch as many random music videos n shit as you guys so it hasn't been overplayed for me.

Alternatively, you could play Linkin Park.
    Which would provide another explanation as to why the citizens of NYC are going ape-shit.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited June 2009
    God, how could I not have thought of New York, New York yet.

Ed321 on
    edited June 2009
    God, how could I not have thought of New York, New York yet.

D: That's it. I am so buying a Frank Sinatra CD when I go to work.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought this was sorta interesting: http://www.destructoid.com/how-prototype-is-blatantly-better-than-infamous-135979.phtml

Apologies if it's been posted earlier.

Delta Assault on
    edited June 2009
    I thought this was sorta interesting: http://www.destructoid.com/how-prototype-is-blatantly-better-than-infamous-135979.phtml

Apparently, Cole is supposed to be a superhero, which doesn't explain why, exactly, he's an utter pussy who couldn't hold his own in a fight against Anne Frank

As soon as I read that sentence I thought "This is a Jim Sterling article, isn't it?"

edit: Then I read the next section:
    Mercer is to fences what Ed Kemper was to the severed heads of college girls.

Ed321 on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

i could see he was trying to be over the top funny or whatever; but, it wasn't really working for me.

then, the last two reasons made me laugh p good.

TyrantCow on
  • X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I LOOOVE playing this in the background...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVQMNM4dRAg

X Pr3dat0R X on
    edited June 2009

Somebody on YTMND.com should do a Best Day Ever with Prototype footage.

Delta Assault on
    edited June 2009

Obviously that article is only half serious, but that was still funny.

And 'Best Day Ever' during Prototype = genius.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited June 2009

i've always just known that song as the chief wiggum song...

TyrantCow on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZwZiU0kKs

Now i just need to find Christopher Walken in the game.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    I was just browsing the Metacritic ratings for this game, and...

Gamespy: 60

1UP: 67

OXM UK: 70

Eurogamer: 70

IGN: 75

Not one of the major reviewers rated this above 85 except Gametrailers.

Ahem:

WHAT THE FUCK

Ed321 on
  • MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Game reviewers have no joy left in their lives. Seriously, they turned their favorite hobby into a 9-5 grind and they are exposed to toxic levels of Imagine gamez.

Monthenor on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Wut:
    Say what you will about Prototype (although mainly say it's better than inFAMOUS, because it is), the game certainly doesn't shy away from having a variety of enemy types with which to deal. Tanks, choppers, soldiers, supersoldiers, mutants, robots, there is plenty to fight and plenty of ways to go about it.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited June 2009

Ahem:

WHAT THE FUCK

Well, let's think about it. The controls are a little janky, the graphics are below par, and the story isn't very good.

Those three categories make up a decent portion of most review scores, right?

Delta Assault on
    edited June 2009

Ahem:

WHAT THE FUCK

Well, let's think about it. The controls are a little janky, the graphics are below par, and the story isn't very good.

Get out.

Unless you're being sarcastic.

Are you being sarcastic?

He's being sarcastic.

Also, those annoying detector-drones probably count as robots.

Ed321 on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm really wishing there were more enemy types in this game. Like, enemies that you can manhandle like a normal human but with vastly more hit points so that you can actually combo them once or twice before they die.

Or maybe just make hunters and super soldiers man-handle-able.

Metalbourne on
    edited June 2009
    I'm really wishing there were more enemy types in this game. Like, enemies that you can manhandle like a normal human but with vastly more hit points so that you can actually combo them once or twice before they die.

Or maybe just make hunters and super soldiers man-handle-able.

We were totally just saying this in the last thread. Supersoldiers would be so much more fun to fight if you could grab them.

And if they didn't take off a fucking quarter of your health just by tossing you over their shoulder.

Ed321 on
  • X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »

i've always just known that song as the chief wiggum song...

Me too! How I love it so!

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, you can accuse NPCs of being you and get them shot?

awesome

101 on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Ahem:

WHAT THE FUCK

Get out.

Unless you're being sarcastic.

Are you being sarcastic?

He's being sarcastic.

Also, those annoying detector-drones probably count as robots.

Well, the controls are a little janky, the graphics are sub par (even for an open world game), and the story isn't good. That doesn't stop it being fun, but they are some of the big things reviewers look at. And sub-85 scores don't mean the game isn't fun.

-Loki- on
    edited June 2009
    101 wrote: »
    Wait, you can accuse NPCs of being you and get them shot?

awesome

I like to call an airstrike down afterwards.

Y'know, to relieve them of their guilt and all.

Ed321 on
    edited June 2009
    i'll concede on the graphics (i guess, they're good enough for me; but, not cutting edge) and the story

but, the controls?

i never feel like i can't do what i want to do given the default control scheme.

- actually, i'll go as far as to say i really like the controls

the way stuff is laid out i can always be thinking/charging a move ahead.

TyrantCow on
    edited June 2009
    No, I'm not being sarcastic.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game... those scores aren't what I would have given it. But I'm not blind to the game's shortcomings.

Delta Assault on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Prototype infuriates me when I try to run and jump in a precise manner when I'm on a building. I know it's mostly about the big picture (ie jumping and flying over whole buildings) but when I miss a collectible orb by a meter and stop to try and go back for it, it's fucking frustrating. The games controls work most of the time, and then become a measure of patience at others. Again - not awful, but a little janky.

-Loki- on
    edited June 2009
    The controls are not janky. You have perfect precision, if you pay attention and hold back.

The thing is, most games have a control scheme where you have precision and you must force it to get faster, push harder for more.

in this game all that is automatic, you simply charge for more and because you get in the habit of always charging, always sprinting, you forget the options you have to be precise.

They are there, if you slow down. You can do all the movement events with gold if you have precision. If you just mindlessly charge and sprint and not think at all, they're going to be like pulling teeth.

For example, there's an early event I could never finish until I paid attention and realised it didn't say Rooftop jupmping, dashing super speed parkouring. It said Rooftop Running.

So I calmed down, ran normally, did tiny jumps, and got gold. I had to hold back for gold. Funny that.

The janky in this game is the player. You need to pay attention to get the most out of this game. That's why most 9-5 reviewers just aren't going to get that out of it, and it's not a reflection on the game. It's a reflection on them. (Due to not having the time, not a reflection of what potential skill they would get. Not making a personality attribution)

This game rewards skill like no other I've played other than Hulk UD and that's why I love it. As you get better, the fights get more epic, more glorious and you tear the city apart without effort.

Morninglord on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Ahem:

WHAT THE FUCK

Based entirely on an objective view of what this game offers to a gamer, it deserves at least an 8. I personally would give it an 8.5 or 9 because the flaws I find with the game are so minor that they do not really detract from the experience.

How anyone can give a quality title like this a "60" though, is beyond me. What the hell gamespy?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited June 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    i'll concede on the graphics (i guess, they're good enough for me; but, not cutting edge) and the story

but, the controls?

i never feel like i can't do what i want to do given the default control scheme.

It can be a bit hard to navigate to a specific spot atop buildings, but normally this is only relevent when you're trying to get orbs from the tip of a spire.

The graphics are perfectly good for a game that has virtually no pop-in, and can easily handle hundreds of people running about, cars exploding, monsters erupting from the ground to throw vans about, and multiple tanks/choppers blowing shit up on-screen at the same time.

The story is poorly implented, perhaps, partly because it relies upon the WoI cutscenes. But it's not exactly bad.

Below 80, which is the average at metacritic for the major reviewers, is the equivalent of calling the game shit when any notable title released on consoles invariably recieves 85+.

Ed321 on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah I think the graphics are more than adequate. When I can hop into a chopper in the middle of a warzone and fly up above the city and see pretty much the entire map without slowdown, with citizens moving like ants in the distance, it is pretty good

The story, while not excellent, was hardly bad

the mission cutscenes were bland and boring, but the story itself, and the cinematic cutscenes + the addition of WOI targets were pretty neat I think

Maybe I've just gone crazy

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Also - one other big reviewer gave it 8.5 - Gamespot.

edit - it's also easy to overlook a games flaws when you enjoy it. Hey, I played the hell out of HAWX and would have rated it higher than it got collectively. When I objectively think about it though, yeah, it had a lot of problems.

-Loki- on
    edited June 2009
    Now that I've viewed all the WoI cutscenes and know more abotu the character the things alex says actually make sense.
    He says things that seem odd because he's not human. He's a one track creature struggling to learn to be human, so much of what he thinks is going to be slightly out of step.

For example, when he meets Karen and she hugs him he's all Wut hugs.

But then the natural human instincts, because he has a human brain, take over, and he feels attachment. We are going to be in this together.
    This makes sense when you realise much of the social behaviors we have are universal, which means whatever morals or culture or upbringing you have, wanting to be together, for two humans to unite and do something in a group, is partly biologically determined. The freedom we have comes from how we interpret it (since we can ignore it, which takes effort. If you make someone do something cognitively busy the effects happen automatically, which is why you know the process is background).
    But he can't. He's just been born, he has no memory, so he gets randomly affected by it. He takes it up upon himself. It's like watching a man grow up in 18 days.

Even the virus thing. Essentially, since he is a human copy that's not really any different from being a human except he has no memory of a real upbringing to have shaped him. Only what he has "eaten". So when he learns he is a virus, he essentially stops identifying with the rest of the world in terms of needing to belong. After that revelation, in the missions after that, he becomes almost immediately more psychotic (which is characterised by self centered behaviors).

It's rather likely that he wanted to stop the nuke simply because it is his city now how dare you blow it up.

Morninglord on
  • Dr.TongueDr.Tongue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why do you guys even care about the reviews? You already bought the game and you are having fun with it.
    I have played it for about 12 or so hours and have had blast nearly every time i have started the game up.

Dr.Tongue on