As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vroooom - Automocar Factual Information

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wasn't there a dude who was utterly terrified at the thought of operating a car? like, he had a paralyzing fear he'd kill someone in it?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    Well that's kinda wonky, taking off the face???

What? Most high-end stereos have removable faceplates just for security reasons.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    wasn't there a dude who was utterly terrified at the thought of operating a car? like, he had a paralyzing fear he'd kill someone in it?

Uhhh, I kinda did.

But man, I need to get out.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Keith wrote: »

What? Most high-end stereos have removable faceplates just for security reasons.
    o_O

Yes I know that. Look again, that one you take it off to put your iPod in there.. what do you do with it while you're listening to your iPod and how do you control it?? Is there a steering wheel remote or??

jwalk on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009

o_O

Yes I know that. Look again, that one you take it off to put your iPod in there.. what do you do with it while you're listening to your iPod and how do you control it?? Is there a steering wheel remote or??

You just use the face-buttons on the radio to control it.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think I might wait a week or two and scrounge up the extra cash and get that second one, seems like it would overcome the issues Wezoin mentioned, as I think the first model might interfere with the cupholders.

edit: yeah, what Keith said, you control it through the stereo's interface, and I believe it comes with a remote as well.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The face plate is wire less? That would be hot. Or a steering wheel remote.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The face plate is wire less? That would be hot. Or a steering wheel remote.

It plugs back into the stereo so that the iPod is hidden, I think.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No way unless the iPod slides in farther than that pic.

Where did you see that thing?

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh snap, I was looking at it wrong. I thought the iPod plugged onto the back of the faceplate and then you put it in.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bendery, you need new shock absorbers (dampers). DO NOT BUY original parts. Get some Monroe GT Gas units or something like that - cheaper and better performance, and will last just as long or longer than factory.

Smart Hero, a couple of years ago when I was really into car audio, BOSS Audio was an el-cheapo brand. Bargain basement stuff. They may have picked up their game since then, but with car audio you really are better off in the long run going for name brands like Pioneer, Clarion or Alpine.

Like this one: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P510UB

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh snap, I was looking at it wrong. I thought the iPod plugged onto the back of the faceplate and then you put it in.

Nah, the guts of the Stereo has a dock connector that somehow talks to the faceplate to control the iPod.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dude, you have an FM radio, save yourself the money and get an iPod transmitter.

Don't buy a new deck unless you're gonna redo your whole stereo

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    ipod transmitters are shit

Unknown User on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mine works like gangbusters, and it's one of the cheapest available.

I rebuke your claim on the grounds that you are a cock

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    nah, they're shit, especially around here, too many local stations that are close to the ones the transmitter uses.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I tried both the FM and the cassette adapter, the cassette sounded a LOT better. It's not quite audiophile, but it's cheap and it works.

jwalk on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    nah, they're shit, especially around here, too many local stations that are close to the ones the transmitter uses.

not to mention you end up with barely FM quality sound

Unknown User on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does the bullshit that smart hero listens to really deserve to be in hi-fi?

<3

NotASenator on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just bought a £40 CD deck with an aux-in jack at the front, I keep my shitty mp3 player on a grippy mat on the dash. Works like a charm.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I keep going back to thinking about buying a Mini Cooper S because damn they look nice and drive so nicely.

Then I remember that the interior is tiny and has funky controls and man that BMW price.

The one I just speced out on Mini's website ended up at 26,5, which seems like a great deal of money for a small car.

...British racing green, black roof, black stripes, black wheels, and black driving lights in the upper grill.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I keep going back to thinking about buying a Mini Cooper S because damn they look nice and drive so nicely.

Then I remember that the interior is tiny and has funky controls and man that BMW price.

The one I just speced out on Mini's website ended up at 26,5, which seems like a great deal of money for a small car.

...British racing green, black roof, black stripes, black wheels, and black driving lights in the upper grill.
    those things get absolutely ridiculously expensive with options

and then you take a look at how much a JCW costs and you faint

they really are awesome, though. and they depreciate noticeably, so they're a great used buy. look at these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MINI-Cooper-S-Sport-Pkg-LOADED-Xenons-Htd-Seats-1-owner_W0QQitemZ150361545108QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item23023f1994&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIKE-NEW-TURBO-CONVENIENCE-COLD-WEATHER-PACKAGE-HiFi_W0QQitemZ200368831093QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2ea6e9ba75&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

ps

i just bought this thing for my ipod touch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016KA4J0/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

uh

yeah

$5 shipped

if anything, i'll take it up with amazon, but it seems legit. somehow. we'll find out soon enough.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I cannot fathom why the Works are so expensive, or what you actually get for that money. Near as I can tell, you are paying 10grand more for 30 more Hp and a limited slip diff.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Does the bullshit that smart hero listens to really deserve to be in hi-fi?

<3

why I outta

Until I scrape together the cash for a new stereo, I went with a $20 cassette thing the plugs right into my iPod/iPhone. Works well enough.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Skanks with rebel flag tank tops, at least 2 kids by 2 different guys, and an outstanding warrant.
    roll d20 to see if her ex bf Skeeter pays you a visit to fuck you up

I rolled a 4, what was the DC?

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bendery, you need new shock absorbers (dampers). DO NOT BUY original parts. Get some Monroe GT Gas units or something like that - cheaper and better performance, and will last just as long or longer than factory.

Smart Hero, a couple of years ago when I was really into car audio, BOSS Audio was an el-cheapo brand. Bargain basement stuff. They may have picked up their game since then, but with car audio you really are better off in the long run going for name brands like Pioneer, Clarion or Alpine.

Like this one: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P510UB

Alright, i looked under my wheel well, and the coils are bright blue, and they look immaculate (so I'm thinking they are new, so maybe he changed the coil overs and not the dampers? Is this what is going on here?

Also, It's a honda civic ex, 2000 with 119,000 miles on it. It has a cold air intake on it, and an after market exhaust.

The exhaust worried me until he let me hear it, beautiful low hum, none of that fart shit. Aggressive but not obnoxious.

So anyways, I'm also thinking of throwing the DCH 4-2-1 headers on to it to improve gas mileage and power. From what I've been told headers would be pretty easy to install myself.

I'm not a complete retard when it comes to swaping out parts, I have a 95 ford f250 with the 460 v8 and I've swapped out the starter/alternator/distributor more times than I can count. How easy are headers?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    One more car question (for now, anyway) since the actual condition of the car is a little grungy, ie the upholstery is a bit dirty and the exterior has a few minor scratches, I decided to look into getting it detailed and cleaned up at a local car wash/detailing place. Guy there quoted me at $150 for a full shampoo and vacuum of the upholstery, wash and wax and buff to get out the minor scratches. In addition, the headlight lenses are a bit cloudy from old age.

I know prices are gonna vary from place to place, but is $150 a pretty decent price?

(I'm too lazy/incompetent to do it myself)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One more car question (for now, anyway) since the actual condition of the car is a little grungy, ie the upholstery is a bit dirty and the exterior has a few minor scratches, I decided to look into getting it detailed and cleaned up at a local car wash/detailing place. Guy there quoted me at $150 for a full shampoo and vacuum of the upholstery, wash and wax and buff to get out the minor scratches. In addition, the headlight lenses are a bit cloudy from old age.

I know prices are gonna vary from place to place, but is $150 a pretty decent price?

for a complete detail in side and out? Are they going to clean the headlight lenses?

If so, I'd pay it.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

for a complete detail in side and out? Are they going to clean the headlight lenses?

If so, I'd pay it.

I'm not sure about the headlight lenses from that quote, I found that mentioned in another dude's mobile detailing website, who's 'Full Detail' includes the same stuff as the other guy but for $99, and the headlight cleaning for an additional $35. I may go with that dude because the price is a bit cheaper and I could just let him do it while I'm at work or something. Then there's a third guy who details cars for the owner of the company I work for who comes by there every week, I may get a quote from him, too.

Mostly I just wanted to see what folks opinions are of the price, I've never had a car detailed before and didn't want to overpay.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    33401290052_large.jpg

Ford to all Subaru in America:

SUCK IT

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Re: Ford

ken-block-jump.jpg

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Our cars are fer a winnin ya hippie, not a show-boatin'

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    oh you mean how they were shooting for a sub-10 minute Pikes Peak run and then ran an 11:28? :P

Faricazy on
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Washing cars is pretty annoying but I am not paying $15 to have someone else do it.

The most annoying part is that every time I even think about washing my car, it starts raining.

Man, I washed my lincoln recently, and put a coat of wax on there. Now I love it even more. It's so shiny.

And yesterday I put new power window tracks in the front doors and now I can cause the windows to go up and down with a switch as if by magic!

edit: and more on topic, I ran the carfax on the car when I was looking at it, I saw no problems, and then I saw that it was built on my birthday in 1996 and I was sold, then and there. the car turns 13 this november, and I turn 24.
    Air wrote: »
    Air wrote: »
    Seriously, there is a new F-150 coming out called the Raptor which is based on the old Baja trucks and now I want one.

you dont need that

I will run over small animals with it.

sure if you wanna leave them completely unscathed

I will buy giant tires for it and jack this shit up to the moon.

if you must have a pickup, you would probably be better off with a 90s toyota pickup. they get around 18 mpg and are way cheaper.

The diesel F250s of the mid-late 90s will do better than that, and two houses off of their foundations. Man, I want a 1997 (last year of the old style, just a personal preference) 4x4 F-250 with the 7.3 powerstroke in it. The prices are still really high, though.

fshavlak on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    oh you mean how they were shooting for a sub-10 minute Pikes Peak run and then ran an 11:28? :P

11:28 with tires that were ON FIRE.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    apparently I jinxed Subaru because the Fiestas just won their X-Games races

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Alright, i looked under my wheel well, and the coils are bright blue, and they look immaculate (so I'm thinking they are new, so maybe he changed the coil overs and not the dampers? Is this what is going on here?

Also, It's a honda civic ex, 2000 with 119,000 miles on it. It has a cold air intake on it, and an after market exhaust.

The exhaust worried me until he let me hear it, beautiful low hum, none of that fart shit. Aggressive but not obnoxious.

So anyways, I'm also thinking of throwing the DCH 4-2-1 headers on to it to improve gas mileage and power. From what I've been told headers would be pretty easy to install myself.

I'm not a complete retard when it comes to swaping out parts, I have a 95 ford f250 with the 460 v8 and I've swapped out the starter/alternator/distributor more times than I can count. How easy are headers?

If he has fitted cheap Chinese aftermarket coil-overs, more often than not they are oversprung and underdamped, and not adjustable. If they are a decent quality set, you could have them set up and adjusted by a suspension shop for a reasonable price.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Late response:

I have this. I'm going to be 18 in a few months and I have not driven more than a metre in a car and I don't want to get a drivers license.

Yet I still want to fire a rifle at some point in my life and I probably will.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Late response:

I have this. I'm going to be 18 in a few months and I have not driven more than a metre in a car and I don't want to get a drivers license.

I used to be like this. You should really force yourself to practice and learn, because once you have a license/car you realize your life is so much better than it was before! (also more expensive)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am thinking of getting down with some Cash for Clunkers, doggies. The Oldsmobile Bravada is getting old quickly. Fortunately by virtue of this car's horrible, horrible mileage, virtually any new car would net me the maximum discount. Despite that, and living in New England, I don't think I'm going to go the SUV route again (even though I have an unnatural love of Jeeps and I could get literally $9,000 right off the top).

So my simple question is; which of the current generation of tiny bitch cars, for sissies, are the best? I've been inside a number of Hondas and have pretty much universally enjoyed them. They seem to be inordinately roomy for their size across the board; being 6'2" this is an advantage. I haven't gone too deep down the rabbit hole, but I am interested in your thoughts SE++

JohnHam on
    signature.png

This discussion has been closed.