As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vroooom - Automocar Factual Information

• Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    wasn't there a dude who was utterly terrified at the thought of operating a car? like, he had a paralyzing fear he'd kill someone in it?

Late response:

I have this. I'm going to be 18 in a few months and I have not driven more than a metre in a car and I don't want to get a drivers license.

I used to be like this. You should really force yourself to practice and learn, because once you have a license/car you realize your life is so much better than it was before! (also more expensive)

Well it doesn't really matter because I can't afford a car....

Or a license for that matter.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JohnHam wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting down with some Cash for Clunkers, doggies. The Oldsmobile Bravada is getting old quickly. Fortunately by virtue of this car's horrible, horrible mileage, virtually any new car would net me the maximum discount. Despite that, and living in New England, I don't think I'm going to go the SUV route again (even though I have an unnatural love of Jeeps and I could get literally $9,000 right off the top).

So my simple question is; which of the current generation of tiny bitch cars, for sissies, are the best? I've been inside a number of Hondas and have pretty much universally enjoyed them. They seem to be inordinately roomy for their size across the board; being 6'2" this is an advantage. I haven't gone too deep down the rabbit hole, but I am interested in your thoughts SE++

Mazda 3. The end. Drive it and you'll see what I mean. (Although I suppose you have to buy a new car with Cash for Clunkers and that means you have to get the "smiley" version, unless some Mazda places still have a few of the old models. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a bit of a controversial style.)

Yaris is reliable but feels cheap and horrible. Alot of people here like the Fit, I have no experience with it. Hyundai Accent is a reasonably fun drive, and very reliable, but the interior is kinda blah and the exterior is very "cute". Ford Focus I hear the European one is good but ours isn't or something? VW Golf/Jetta I hear are fun to drive, but horribly unreliable. Dodge SX2.0 or w/e they call it is horrible garbage (although I think its been replaced with the Caliber which I haven't heard too much about.) And GM is the usual garbage all around (although I think I heard the Cobalt is fun to drive?) and your warranty probably won't be worth anything in a year or two.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to investigate Scion, VW, and maybe Hyundai.

I think you're probably right about the Yaris, but to me pretty much all Toyotas feel kind of cheap. Luckily I don't give a shit about that, and it makes for cheaper and easier (parts fall off on their own!) maintenance.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited August 2009

I think you're probably right about the Yaris, but to me pretty much all Toyotas feel kind of cheap. Luckily I don't give a shit about that, and it makes for cheaper and easier (parts fall off on their own!) maintenance.

Honestly, if you're buying a new car nowadays, it's going to last a good long time (except of course if you buy a poor example of whatever car you choose.) I won't say that mankind has perfected the car, but they will last alot longer. If you look on craigslist and kijiji and all those theres all sorts of cars people are listing as what would be long past the lifespan of older cars, in great shape (according to the ads at least, doubt they're perfect but oh well.) I take it as a sign that car reliability is improving and the old "dont ever buy a car over x,000 miles" needs to be adjusted.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wezoin wrote: »

Honestly, if you're buying a new car nowadays, it's going to last a good long time (except of course if you buy a poor example of whatever car you choose.) I won't say that mankind has perfected the car, but they will last alot longer. If you look on craigslist and kijiji and all those theres all sorts of cars people are listing as what would be long past the lifespan of older cars, in great shape (according to the ads at least, doubt they're perfect but oh well.) I take it as a sign that car reliability is improving and the old "dont ever buy a car over x,000 miles" needs to be adjusted.
    Heh, the most I've ever paid for a car is $3,700. If I know anything about cars it's how hilariously unreliable they can be. It will probably be the best thing ever to have a new car, relative to what I have dealt with before. The unexpected and ridiculous maintenance cost of an old car is so frustrating.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Heh, the most I've ever paid for a car is $3,700. If I know anything about cars it's how hilariously unreliable they can be. It will probably be the best thing ever to have a new car, relative to what I have dealt with before. The unexpected and ridiculous maintenance cost of an old car is so frustrating.
    that's pretty much why I'm test driving a Scion xB after work today. I've never owned either a new car or a car that I really, truly wanted, so hopefully i like the way it rides and if it fits me.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mysst wrote: »

that's pretty much why I'm test driving a Scion xB after work today. I've never owned either a new car or a car that I really, truly wanted, so hopefully i like the way it rides and if it fits me.

I know exactly what you mean. I've been "proud" of both of my previous cars, and loved them for their better days, but I've also hated them, profoundly, on their worse days. If I actually man up and buy a new car I don't know what I'll do. My mechanic will think I've died. Probably in the death trap I'm currently driving.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck toyota and scion.

Get a Fit.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    fshavlak wrote: »
    Air wrote: »
    Seriously, there is a new F-150 coming out called the Raptor which is based on the old Baja trucks and now I want one.

you dont need that

I will run over small animals with it.

sure if you wanna leave them completely unscathed

I will buy giant tires for it and jack this shit up to the moon.

if you must have a pickup, you would probably be better off with a 90s toyota pickup. they get around 18 mpg and are way cheaper.

The diesel F250s of the mid-late 90s will do better than that, and two houses off of their foundations. Man, I want a 1997 (last year of the old style, just a personal preference) 4x4 F-250 with the 7.3 powerstroke in it. The prices are still really high, though.

Believe me or not, but the early 90s Mitsubishi Mighty Max pick ups are fantastic. Bullet-Proof 3.0L. Strong as shit, good mileage.

I loved the shit out of mine. They are regular Baja conversions in the South West.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Stale wrote: »
    Seriously, there is a new F-150 coming out called the Raptor which is based on the old Baja trucks and now I want one.

you dont need that

if you must have a pickup, you would probably be better off with a 90s toyota pickup. they get around 18 mpg and are way cheaper.

The diesel F250s of the mid-late 90s will do better than that, and two houses off of their foundations. Man, I want a 1997 (last year of the old style, just a personal preference) 4x4 F-250 with the 7.3 powerstroke in it. The prices are still really high, though.

Believe me or not, but the early 90s Mitsubishi Mighty Max pick ups are fantastic. Bullet-Proof 3.0L. Strong as shit, good mileage.

I loved the shit out of mine. They are regular Baja conversions in the South West.
    Didn't you say you swapped 3000GT VR4 running gear into it?

And then crashed it?

:P

Faricazy on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »

you dont need that

Didn't you say you swapped 3000GT VR4 running gear into it?

And then crashed it?

:P

Yup

It took a 120mph hellacious accident to finally kill that thing. Otherwise it was a beast.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bendery, you need new shock absorbers (dampers). DO NOT BUY original parts. Get some Monroe GT Gas units or something like that - cheaper and better performance, and will last just as long or longer than factory.

Smart Hero, a couple of years ago when I was really into car audio, BOSS Audio was an el-cheapo brand. Bargain basement stuff. They may have picked up their game since then, but with car audio you really are better off in the long run going for name brands like Pioneer, Clarion or Alpine.

Like this one: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P510UB

Alright, i looked under my wheel well, and the coils are bright blue, and they look immaculate (so I'm thinking they are new, so maybe he changed the coil overs and not the dampers? Is this what is going on here?

Also, It's a honda civic ex, 2000 with 119,000 miles on it. It has a cold air intake on it, and an after market exhaust.

The exhaust worried me until he let me hear it, beautiful low hum, none of that fart shit. Aggressive but not obnoxious.

So anyways, I'm also thinking of throwing the DCH 4-2-1 headers on to it to improve gas mileage and power. From what I've been told headers would be pretty easy to install myself.

I'm not a complete retard when it comes to swaping out parts, I have a 95 ford f250 with the 460 v8 and I've swapped out the starter/alternator/distributor more times than I can count. How easy are headers?

If he has fitted cheap Chinese aftermarket coil-overs, more often than not they are oversprung and underdamped, and not adjustable. If they are a decent quality set, you could have them set up and adjusted by a suspension shop for a reasonable price.
    Coilovers are springs and shocks in one unit. If the shocks are wasted you'll have to replace the entire coilover unless the shocks are rebuildable (more expensive sets often are, cheap ones are not). Are you sure he installed coilovers or just lowering springs? If they are just springs and he didn't replace the OEM shocks, they are probably blown (very easy to do). In which case you can replace the shocks, Koni Yellows are what you want there.

Second, the header is not street legal, you will fail smog. If you already have intake/exhaust the whp gains you'll see from a race header are probably in the single digits. You can get what's called a "shorty header" which are street legal, but the gains are less than with a race header.

jwalk on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    apparently I jinxed Subaru because the Fiestas just won their X-Games races

The win was the reason I posted the Fiesta rally pic in the first place. :)

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck toyota and scion.

Get a Fit.

Or a 3

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd like to say that the Aveo is a terrible car and feels cheap and plasticky.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    V8

not

G8!

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    Bendery, you need new shock absorbers (dampers). DO NOT BUY original parts. Get some Monroe GT Gas units or something like that - cheaper and better performance, and will last just as long or longer than factory.

Smart Hero, a couple of years ago when I was really into car audio, BOSS Audio was an el-cheapo brand. Bargain basement stuff. They may have picked up their game since then, but with car audio you really are better off in the long run going for name brands like Pioneer, Clarion or Alpine.

Like this one: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P510UB

Alright, i looked under my wheel well, and the coils are bright blue, and they look immaculate (so I'm thinking they are new, so maybe he changed the coil overs and not the dampers? Is this what is going on here?

Also, It's a honda civic ex, 2000 with 119,000 miles on it. It has a cold air intake on it, and an after market exhaust.

The exhaust worried me until he let me hear it, beautiful low hum, none of that fart shit. Aggressive but not obnoxious.

So anyways, I'm also thinking of throwing the DCH 4-2-1 headers on to it to improve gas mileage and power. From what I've been told headers would be pretty easy to install myself.

I'm not a complete retard when it comes to swaping out parts, I have a 95 ford f250 with the 460 v8 and I've swapped out the starter/alternator/distributor more times than I can count. How easy are headers?

If he has fitted cheap Chinese aftermarket coil-overs, more often than not they are oversprung and underdamped, and not adjustable. If they are a decent quality set, you could have them set up and adjusted by a suspension shop for a reasonable price.
    Coilovers are springs and shocks in one unit. If the shocks are wasted you'll have to replace the entire coilover unless the shocks are rebuildable (more expensive sets often are, cheap ones are not). Are you sure he installed coilovers or just lowering springs? If they are just springs and he didn't replace the OEM shocks, they are probably blown (very easy to do). In which case you can replace the shocks, Koni Yellows are what you want there.

Second, the header is not street legal, you will fail smog. If you already have intake/exhaust the whp gains you'll see from a race header are probably in the single digits. You can get what's called a "shorty header" which are street legal, but the gains are less than with a race header.

how can you tell they are not street legal? The dude showed me the smog he got done about 2 weeks ago and every emission was well below what it should have been, so I think that gives me a little play room.

if I can't use those headers, can you link me to some good ones?

http://www.raceinspired.com/pc-13817-6-greddy-exhaust-header-4-2-1-honda-civic-ex-16l-1992-2000.aspx

These are CARB exempt, I could technically throw these on without breaking the law right?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alright, so if you were in a position deciding between a 2001 Mazda Tribute (the top of the line trim) vs a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (I think about equally equipped) but the Jeep is about $1000 more than the Tribute. Which would you go for? (Yes I realize the Tribute is just an Escape, but the particular one I'm looking at is far cheaper than the lesser equipped Escapes I've seen, and yes I know gas prices are ridiculous and global warming and blah blah blah.) Which will last longer and/or be more awesome for some reason or other?

Right now I'm thinking the Mazda because according to Edmunds its quite a bit more reliable, but I can't help but think the Jeep might be slightly more comfortable. They're both at the same lot so I'll probably take 'em both for a test drive. They also have that ugly ass 2000ish Mercedes SUV for a couple grand more than the Jeep, but is that really worth it?

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Get the Maz, fuck Dodge

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    but american cars are awesome

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    how can you tell they are not street legal? The dude showed me the smog he got done about 2 weeks ago and every emission was well below what it should have been, so I think that gives me a little play room.

http://www.raceinspired.com/pc-13817-6-greddy-exhaust-header-4-2-1-honda-civic-ex-16l-1992-2000.aspx

These are CARB exempt, I could technically throw these on without breaking the law right?
    It might be legal, check here -> http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php
    Search on the part #.

Still, keep in mind with intake/exhaust already you'll probably see 5-8 whp on a dyno at best.
    I'd fix the suspension first...

jwalk on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It might be legal, check here -> http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php
    Search on the part #.

Still, keep in mind with intake/exhaust already you'll probably see 5-8 whp on a dyno at best.
    I'd fix the suspension first...

yeah, the suspension is on the top of my list.

Also, just out of curiosity, how practical is it to swap in a b16a2? (si engine)

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    With something from 2000 wouldn't it be easier to drop in an RSX engine?

That's what I was told to gravitate towards on an 03 civic

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hey I think I saw an orange Tesla roadster on the last episode of Entourage

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't know nothin about engine swaps sorry. I imagine it's somewhere between expensive boondoggle and complete fucking hell.

jwalk on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    As for the headlight covers, mine have the same kind of haze, not too bad but noticable. I've seen people actually take sandpaper and buff with something called PlastX.

this http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12310

jwalk on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My Dad is all wanting us to take advantage of the cash for clunkers program. He has seen ads for Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler dealerships doubling the money, so you could maybe get 9000 towards a new car. Our second car is a clunker.

It is a 95 Olds Cutlass Supreme, with +200K miles on it. It seems to be in OK shape, it gets somewhere around 15-20 mpg from what I can tell. It does have a few goofy things with it, the wire for the brake lights comes loose. I can't figure out where to plug it in, but my in-laws 150 miles away know how to fix it. There's also something whacky with the fuel gauge after it gets below half a tank, causing it to fluctuate from half to empty almost constantly.

He's all about the Jeep Compass for some reason. It didn't fare very well at all in reviews, ranking dead last in its class on some lists.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My Dad is all wanting us to take advantage of the cash for clunkers program. He has seen ads for Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler dealerships doubling the money, so you could maybe get 9000 towards a new car. Our second car is a clunker.

It is a 95 Olds Cutlass Supreme, with +200K miles on it. It seems to be in OK shape, it gets somewhere around 15-20 mpg from what I can tell. It does have a few goofy things with it, the wire for the brake lights comes loose. I can't figure out where to plug it in, but my in-laws 150 miles away know how to fix it. There's also something whacky with the fuel gauge after it gets below half a tank, causing it to fluctuate from half to empty almost constantly.

He's all about the Jeep Compass for some reason. It didn't fare very well at all in reviews, ranking dead last in its class on some lists.

Firstly-
    http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/03/report-chrysler-kills-cash-for-clunkers-incentives-after-runnin/
    Chrysler is just about to kill the automatic doubling and replace it with smaller, varying bonus.

Second-
    Ran the numbers on your car. If you have the 3.4L engine, you JUST qualify as a clunker. If you have the 3.1L, you do not. I hope you have the 3.4 :/

Third-
    Rumor has the Cash for Clunkers program not lasting very long, even with the extra two billion in funding, so act fast.

And Lastly-
    Yeah, the Compass is a pretty crappy vehicle. Monumentally ugly, poorly built, and with a terrible interior. It's also front wheel drive with no off road capabilities, making it the only Jeep vehicle without a "Trail Rated" rating. Pointless Jeep. Basically someone loped two doors of a Dodge Caliber, made it even uglier, slapped a Jeep badge on it, and called it a day.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The problem with Chrysler vehicles is that other than the Jeeps (and the Compass and Patriot are hardly Jeeps), they're turds. The whole lot of them.

As tremendously ugly as I think the current US Focus is, it's still a good car and there's a reason it is topping the Cash for Clunkers sales.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I saw that statistic today and had a little smile for Ford's success. They also posted their first sales INCREASE in over a year.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I also dig the fuck out of the Ecoboost Flex.

a 350hp, 4800lb seven seater box that does 60 in under seven seconds while still getting 22+ mpg?

they're mad

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I'm really like the Flex

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The problem with Chrysler vehicles is that other than the Jeeps (and the Compass and Patriot are hardly Jeeps), they're turds. The whole lot of them.

As tremendously ugly as I think the current US Focus is, it's still a good car and there's a reason it is topping the Cash for Clunkers sales.

And the Jeeps get dismal mpgs. My parents have an 08 Liberty and really like it, but I think it has awkward seating and huge blind spots. I drive a 08 Fit, so I am used to blind spots, and the Liberty is ridiculous.

I'm not sure what size the Cutlass's engine is, off the top of my head anyway.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Plus the Flex has some nice funky styling going on. I dig it as well.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    4800lbs?? What is there a fucking swimming pool in the back of it?

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Room enough for one-

1805227494_2c535bced9.jpg
    20070407-2009-ford-flex-6.jpg

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    have you seen this car in person

it is fucking long

also AWD, heavy seats, safety goodies, etc, it adds up nowdays

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

no, but i think there is a fridge in there
    EPA fuel economy for the front-wheel-drive Flex is 17 mpg city/24 mpg highway and 19 mpg combined, which is on par with GM's full-size crossovers
    (edmunds)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    WHAT THE FUCK it's a fucking 747 in there.

This shit really qualifies for the "clunkers" rebate?

What the fuck America? I thought this shit was for "economy" cars??

19 FUCKING MPG WHAT??

OH!!!

LET ME BUY A SHITMOBILE FOR $500 FROM CRAZY LARRY'S USED CAR LOT AND GET A $4500 REBATE FROM DA GUMMINT ON A FUCKGANTIC SUV ??

jwalk on
This discussion has been closed.