As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC/OOC]: The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "In 5 seconds I jump through and just kill that one," Dain says, pointing at the guard on the left, "and then we all worry about the other one. Unless Mr Fop here decides to do something quick."

streever on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Why don't you get the damn wizard to do it?" Anwar retorts. "He actually looks like the bastard."

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Because I've heard him do his impression of you, and hilarious though the characterisation may be, his vocal range has as much chance of fooling anyone as I have of sprouting wings!"

There's a time for long in character debates and forum games is not one of them. Will you do it, yes, no, move on.

Wings not such a crazy idea with the Dragonborn racial paragon!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Uhm, I told you on the 10th that Anwar wasn't going through first, and that was before you even suggested wearing a disguise to do it.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Seeing as we seem to have ruled out any plans involving brains, let's just get on with the brawn then." sighed Makar taking a position by the portal ready to charge through. "On your mark Dain."

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "What's that?" Dain says, as if he's just woken up from a nap. "Oh, ye stopped screwing around with the wizard? Let's do it, dragon man."

Dain is going to leap through and try to coup-de-grace a guard.

streever on
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lucan glares at Anwar. "If you think I'm going to get dressed up, you've going to be sorely disappointed."

He taps his foot impatiently. "Shall we get on with it?"

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    You won't be able to coup de grace a guard, but you will be able to get a free surprise action in.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think this set-up has ground things to a halt, so in the interests of keeping things moving....

Dain and Makar Spring through the mirror, one following the other in close order. The two guards on the other side stand slack-jawed as the two heavily armed warriors materialise before their eyes and charge. Barely having time to raise their weapons, the two guards are easy prey. Makar's hammer thuds heavily into the helmet of one, while Dain's charge lifts the other off his feet and back into the wall behind with a muffled thump. They both sink slowly to the floor, unconscious.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Okay, Result! I thought we'd settled on a surprise action and were waiting for the combat map and enemy stats.

Makar turned to where the portal had been and raised a taloned thumb for the audience.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yea, I was happy with surprise round but was just waiting for enemy stats too :)

"See dragon? Easy. Don't ask him to do anything," he adds, pointing at the stylish wizard.

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am a cretin, obviously. Sorry about that.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    no worries, you're cool with us :)

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The cave entrance yawns before you, and the dim sounds of work echo from within. Situated around the cave is a tall iron fence with a single gate. A guard tower stands empty to one side. Around the fence lies the forest next to which you guess you first entered this land.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lucan glares at Anwar before stepping through the portal. Getting out of the way, he inspects the area where the portal should be.

That done, he heads over to one of the bodies and starts to check their pockets.
    Inspect Portal (Or Lack thereof): Arcana: 1d20+12 28
    Inspect the Cave: Perception: 1d20+2 5 Dungeoneering: 1d20+7 9
    Check the Guard: Perception: 1d20+2 20

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dain is going to try sneaking up a little to see better into the cave
    Stealth: 1d20+8 9 fail!
    Perception: 1d20+8 17 some measure of success, one hopes

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Tch. I'm not a godsdamned clown," Anwar mutters as he takes one last look around the room, then goes through himself. On the other side he feels around for the presence of magic, and moves somewhat out of dodge.
    Arcana: 17
    Stealth: 16

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lucan's examination of the portal's surface on the other side indicates that the area around which it may be seen is markedly smaller than the mirror through which you came to this land, but that it is still active and serves as an entrance to the study.

In the guard's pockets he finds little but a few gold coins (10gp).

A strong magical force emanates from the cave entrance, indicating something substantially powerful further in. You also sense something that seems to permeate the magical ether. A malevolent intelligence that pulses deep inside the mine.

Dain's attempts at sneaking through the cave entrance are sadly lacking, however, and he stumbles badly as he advances down the corridor, scraping the blade of his axe against the floor. He freezes, but no close sounds come through the distant din of mining work further in.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dain shrugs sheepishly. "Let's keep moving then," he says, walking down the corridor, axes drawn.

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Placing a finger to his lips, Makar falls in a short distance behind Dain and encourages the rest of the party to follow.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anwar follows behind, silently annoyed.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Advancing along the dim passageway you're uncomfortably aware of the rock hemming you in and the growing clank and hammer of noise from the mine. Reaching a corner, Dain peeks around the edge. Five guards are lolling about off duty in the centre of a crossroads of passageways. Two sharpen their blades while three more roll dice for a pitiful piile of booty, presumably taken from those they've enslaved.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Should we go for a surprise round? Charge right away?
    Finger to his lips, Dain turns to his companions, motioning for them to stop.

"Five guards... they aren't very attentive. I don't think we can get around them. Either of you wizards able to keep noise from getting out?"

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Makar hunkered down into a sprint launch position. Unless someone had a better plan he was ready to charge.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lucan braces himself, ready to spring into action at a moments notice.

I don't think I have anything to help as I don't think Prestidigitation is powerful enough. Surprise round?

Anarchy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Everybody who wants to try for a surprise round can roll a stealth check. If any of these rolls fail no-one gets a surprise round. If they all succeed everybody who rolled gets a surprise round.

If you don't want to roll a stealth check, just roll for initiative.

If you do want to try a stealth check, roll that and roll for initiative.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rolls Incoming. I also forgot to mention, I'll be at PAX East so I'm away Thurs - Tues
    Stealth: 1d20+3 7 Errr :(
    Init: 1d20+2 22 Bah, I get a 20 for that though.

Anarchy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dain was born ready for this.

rolls
    Stealth: 1d20+8 20
    Initiative: 1d20+8 28

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Makar knew where his skill set lay, and silent sneaking wasn't part of it. He awaited the action kicking off.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anwar moves into action.
    Really? With a +3 bonus you tried to sneak? *sobs*

Init: 23
    Stealth: 25

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    anarchy! you didn't have to try to sneak attack. You could have just waited for normal initative and let Donuts & I shoot them up, pew pew
    I'd like to motion that we dismiss Anarchy's roll. Do we have a second for this motion?

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just got to take our lumps. You'd be singing a different song if it had been a 20!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OK, I'll roll Dac's initiative and get a combat post up this evening. I'll pm him to see if he's noticed what's going on in the meantime.

Bogart on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gripping the haft of his sword tightly between his scaly fingers, Duragon filled himself with the old draconic standby: a heaping helping of rage garnished with righteousness.
    Init: 1d20+1=20

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The party crept towards the idle guards, and as Dain raised his axe and prepared to charge into the largest of them, a loud sneeze echoed through the chamber. All eyes turned towards the sound, and found Lucan caught in mid stride with a sheepish expression on his face. "Uh. Sorry."

The guards drew their weapons.

State of play:
    All IC rolls should have The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane as the campaign name. Please capitalise the 'Of' bit to ensure all rolls can be seen at a glance on Invisible Castle.

Initiative order:
    28 - Dain (Streever)
    23 - Anwar (tastydonuts) Once per level re-roll used.
    22 - Lucan (Anarchy)
    20 - Duragon (Dac)
    5 - Guards
    3 - Makar (Jam Warrior) Once per level re-roll used.

HP Stats
    Enemy HP
    Human Guard 1: 37/37
    Human Guard 2: 37/37
    Human Guard 3: 37/37
    Human Berserker 1: 66/66
    Human Berserker 2: 66/66

Party HP
    Makar 39/39 (Jam Warrior)
    Dain 41/41 (Streever)
    Duragon 35/35 (Dac)
    Lucan 32/32 (Anarchy)
    Anwar 34/34 (tastydonuts)

Enemy Actions
    None yet.

Map:
    mines.jpg
    Key:
    HG - Human Guard
    HB - Human Berserker
    Enemy stats
    Human Guard
    AC 16 Fort 12 Ref 14 Will 12

Human Berserker
    AC 15 Fort 15 Ref 14 Will 14
    Status List
    First up: Dain.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Next time ye stay in the back lad!" Dain says, rushing forward to meet the barbarians. He's already evaluated his opponent and calculated the best way to eliminate the threat.

Taking a fierce stance, Dain slices into his first target with directed fury.
    No Action:
    Hunter's Privilege
    stance, +3 to Quarry damage EOE

Minor:
    Quarry HB1

Move:
    Move to K6

Standard:
    Twin Strike vs Barbarian: 1d20+9 29 1d10+2 12 1d20+7 8 1d10 6
    Crit, Miss!
    Quarry and crit damage: 2d6 8 1d6 3

Crit: 12 damage, +8, +3, +3
    26 total

Summary:
    Dain is in K6
    Human Berserker 1: 40/66

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anwar doesn't bother to chide the silly wizard, instead waving his staff around. The air in the middle of the three guards twists and spins into a violent vortex, throwing two of them to the ground as the sorcerer falls back to a better position.
    Bleh gotta get another AB attack.

Whirlwind (Enc) [(R) AB1 FS, Target HG1 - vs 18 FORT 12: Hit 16 Damage (21/37 HP) and Prone, Target HG2 - 9 vs FORT 12: Miss, Target HG3 - 24 vs FORT 12: Hit 16 Damage (21/37 HP) and Prone]
    Chaos Power: +1 AC SNT

Move (L10 -> Q11)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We all just had a nice nap. Action points back for all isn't it?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh, I actually would definitely use my AP--can I amend my turn? If not, no worries. I just totally wanted to hit the dude again.

streever on