As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC/OOC]: The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Sure, Dain can use his AP if he wants.

Bogart on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dain isn't content with his initial salvo, though, and as his axes arc across the barbarian, he pulls his hands back, slicing the blades across the guard again.
    The barbarian is nearly dead: he tries to say something, but his voice is muffled and thick with pain. Dain steps back slightly, his enchanted battle axe ready to deliver the finishing blow.

Action Point!
    Standard:
    Two-Fanged Strike vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 26 1d10+5 15 1d20+7 26 1d10+3 5
    Attack: 26, 26 Hit, Hit!
    Damage: 15+5+2 (both attacks hit) 22 total

Summary:
    Dain is in K6
    Human Berserker 1: 18/66
    Dain 41/41 AP Used 8/8 HS (Streever)

I WILL USE MY IMMEDIATE INTERRUPT IF HE ATTACKS ME

streever on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Btw:

STREEVERMAKESMECRY.jpg

just a thought. we can fight from just where we are just fine, considering these are melee people.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    great idea--duragon/makar can hold those two points, and I'll fall back towards them as I finish off this dude

streever on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It IS Lucan's turn, right? I'm not missing something here?

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Did no-one read my message about going to PAX? I've been sufferring the effects of jetlag for the last day. *sigh*

Post Incoming!

Edit:

“Sorry Guys,” the wizard blurts out, rubbing his nose.

Peering out from behind a column of rock, he spots some of guards scrambling to get their gear together. Slamming his staff on the ground, a large burst of flame explodes around the guards, engulfing them in flames.
    Hearing the screams of the guards, he smiles to himself, before hurrying behind the safety of the column and the rest of his party.
    Standard Action:Scorching Burst on F5
    Scorching Burst: 1d20+6 24 1d6+4 5 1d20+6 14 1d6+4 9 1d20+6 24 1d6+4 9
    HG1 @ E4: Hit! 5 Damage! 16/37
    HG2 @ G4: Hit! 5 Damage!
    HG3 @ F6: Hit! 5 Damage! 16/37
    Move Action: Shift to O10

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Whoops - sorry, man. Totally forgot your post. Hope you had fun, and welcome back.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Stepping forward as the wizard fired off his volley, Duragon fixed his eyes on the beleaguered barbarian current swaying under the force of Dain's assault.

Bounding surprisingly quickly across the battlefield for a warrior of his size, he made as if to go around one of the rock pillars, then swiftly changed direction and cut to the side, slamming his bastard sword into the berserker with a cacophonous cry.
    Move Action: -> N6 -> M6 (5 squares)
    Standard Action: Recovery Strike vs. AC (1d20+10=29) HIT! Damage (1d10+6=8) blech low roll. 8 damage.

HB1 is at 10/66 hitpoints. Next ally who hits it gains 6 hitpoints.

NEXT UP: Silly Gooses - I mean guards

Dac on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If my interrupt doesn't kill the barbarian, I'll do so with my standard on my turn, then shift back one to guard this passage with you, Dac

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I believe mobs are aware of the debuffs on them, so I'd be surprised if he attacked you when he has a delicious Cleric sitting right next to him.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    my interrupt triggers if he attacks an ally, too :)

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lucan's AOE spell uses the first damagae roll for everybody, so it will only do 5 to each guard.

The guards are thrown into disarray by your sudden violence, and fight back with desperation. The berserkers, however, fight with insane passion, and the one close to death at Dain's hands almost cleaves the dwarf in two with a vicious swipe from his axe.

State of play:
    All IC rolls should have The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane as the campaign name. Please capitalise the 'Of' bit to ensure all rolls can be seen at a glance on Invisible Castle.

Initiative order:
    28 - Dain (Streever) Action point used
    23 - Anwar (tastydonuts) Once per level re-roll used.
    22 - Lucan (Anarchy)
    20 - Duragon (Dac)
    5 - Guards
    3 - Makar (Jam Warrior) Once per level re-roll used.

HP Stats
    Enemy HP
    Human Guard 1: 16/37 (prone)
    Human Guard 2: 32/37
    Human Guard 3: 16/37 (prone)
    Human Berserker 1: 10/66
    Human Berserker 2: 66/66

Party HP
    Makar 39/39 (Jam Warrior)
    Dain 11/41 or -3/41 (Streever)
    Duragon 19/35 (Dac)
    Lucan 32/32 (Anarchy)
    Anwar 34/34 (tastydonuts)

Enemy Actions
    Human Berserker 1
    Free Action (immediate reaction during Dain's action point): Battle Fury - Performed when Dain bloodied him. Basic melee attack (with extra +4 and extra 1d6 damage)
    Battle Fury attack - Performed when Dain bloodied him AC 17 (1d20+11=31, 1d12+4+1d6=18)
    Critical Hit! Dain takes 16 damage from the crit, plus 3 more from the extra d6, plus an extra d12 because this is a berserker critting and they don't mess about.
    Battle Fury attack - crit damage (1d12=11)
    Extra Critical Hit damage! An extra 11 damage, making 30 damage total! Wowsers.
    Standard Action (during his actual turn): Greataxe on Dain (immediate interrupt triggered) - if Dain's interrupt kills him this attack won't have done any damage.
    HB1 Greataxe vs Dain Ac 17 (1d20+7=22, 1d12+4=14)
    Hit! Dain takes 14 damage and goes down (unless he hits and kills this guy with his immediate interrupt!)

Human Berserker 2
    Move Action: Move to N5
    Standard Action: Greataxe on Duragon
    HB2 Greataxe vs Duragon AC 17 (1d20+7=18, 1d12+4=6)
    Hit! Duragon takes 6 damage!

Human Guard 1
    Move Action: Stand
    Standard Action: Crossbow on Duragon
    HG1 Cross bow on Duragon AC 17 (1d20+9=21, 1d8+2=10)
    Hit! Duragon takes 10 damage!

Human Guard 2
    Move Action: Move to K7
    Standard Action: Charge to N10 and Halberd on Lucan
    HG2 Halberd on Lucan AC 18 (1d20+11=18, 1d10+3=10)
    Hit! But Lucan uses his staff of defence and the blow misses!

Human Guard 3
    Move Action: Stand
    Standard Action: Crossbow on Duragon
    HG3 Cross bow on Duragon AC 17 (1d20+9=15, 1d8+2=8)
    Miss!

Map:
    minesturn1.jpg
    Key:
    HG - Human Guard
    HB - Human Berserker
    Enemy stats
    Human Guard
    AC 16 Fort 12 Ref 14 Will 12

Human Berserker
    AC 15 Fort 15 Ref 14 Will 14
    Status List
    Anwar - chaos power: +1 AC SNT
    Next ally who hits HB1 gains 6 hitpoints.
    Next up: Makar.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Immediate Interrupt! Staff of Defense (+2 AC)

Sensing the incoming attack, Lucan channels some energy into his staff, raising it in the path of the halberd. Time seemed to slow as the blade narrowly misses his face and bounces of his staff.

Edit: Sorry about the damage rolls, I've fixed the post. By double checking, I also discovered that the miss should have been a hit. I actually hit all three! So HG2 should take 5 damage!

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    using my once per level re-roll cos I rolled a 1!
    Face to face with the berserker, it seems Dain's sorely misjudged his foe. Dain's axe cuts deep, blood spurting from the barbarians wound.

The barbarian smiles, and nearly slices the slight dwarf in two.

"Dain! You're not supposed to be drawing their fire," Makar calls out from the back rows.

"Damn it lizard," Dain says, gritting his teeth, as the berserker draws back for a second blow--"Then get yer scaly ass up here!"

As he exclaims his frustration, Dain's hand moves quickly, his axe narrowly missing his opponent, but he manages to maneuver just out of range of the swing. His rear hand brings his second axe down--hard--on the berskers face.

"Still not enough," he says, almost in awe, before he brings his axes back up, killing the barbarian with two quick slices.

Taking a deep breath, he moves back toward the group.
    First roll was a 1, so I used my once per level re-roll
    Disruptive Strike vs AC (melee) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged): 1d20+9 28 1d10+5 9
    Hit! 9 Damage, meaning the target is not killed, but he takes a -5 penalty to his attack roll, meaning it's a 17 and misses.

My Turn:

Standard:
    Twin Strike vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 27 1d10+2 8 1d20+7 21 1d10 3

Hit & Hit, Barbarian is dead

Minor: Dwarven 2nd Wind

Move: Move to 09

Summary:
    Dain in O9 HP 21

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's actually Makar's go, but barring him doing anything that would interfere with your actions we'll let your turn stand.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Noting the frenzied attack of the Barbarian and the hail of arrows from his companions, Makar quickly saw that holding a defencive position was not the course of action to take.

"For Kord and Glory!" he yelled as he charged past the guard in front of him, trusting in his armour to keep him safe as he moved to engage the greater threat of the undamaged Barbarian. "Hold it together lads! After the things we've downed a few pink skins aren't going to hold us back for long!"

His hammer came down with great force upon on the Barbarian who was too distracted by his attempt to pursue the retreating Dwarf.

Dain check the spoilar.
    Note: Dain has 27 HP due to Duragon's healing thingy for first person to hit HB1.

Move: to N6

Eat: an opportunity attack from HG2

Standard: Righteous Smite Vs HB2 (1d20+8=22, 2d10+5=15)

HIT! HB2 now at 51/66

Effect! All allies within 5 (which is everyone) gains 8 temp HP.

Minor: Divine Challenge HB2. Marked and due 7 radiant the first time he attacks someone other than Makar.

Up Next: Anwar

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Anwar watches the fracas and snaps his fingers a few times. Sena stands atop his head, holding onto a dread like a rein while pointing out the targets. As is the custom things get hurt. The sorcerer then takes another step back to better his field of view.
    Meh, once again I go against character and waste an AP attack to try and help you out and it fails... heh. just going to listen to my gut next time. Even a 1 would have given you some breathing room. ;p

Anyhoo, he's at 15. Hopefully the guards won't rush you since they left us wide open... you should be able to down that dude right? I dunno your dmg output.

Chaos Bolt: [(R) Target GH2 - 23 vs FORT 12: Hit 15 Damage (+2 Focused Spellfury - 17 Total <15/32>)]
    Focused Chaos (Enc): Treat Odd Roll as Even:
    -Chaos Power: +1 AC SNT

Chaos Bolt (Secondary) [(R) Target HB2 - 14 vs Will 14: Hit 4 Damage (+2 Focused Spellfury - 6 Total <45/66>)]
    -Focused Spellfury: +2 DMG ENT

Shift: Q11 -> R12

Action Point

Chaos Bolt: [(R) Target GH2 - 8 vs FORT 12: Miss]

edit: fixed roll links.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    thanks for the heal. Sorry I screwed that up--I was rushed for time & stressed and didn't realize Makar hadn't gone!

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Forced back against the wall, Lucan desperately fires at the Berserker in front of him. Closing his eyes, he focuses all his energy on the attack and a surge of raw power rushes out of him and engulfs the man bearing down on him.

A few moments later, he opens an eyelid; a somewhat surprised expression appearing on his face as he notices the charred remains of the guard of the floor.

"Ah...much better," he says, with a wide grin on his face.
    Move Action: Shift to P11
    Standard Action: Magic Missile (vs HG2) (1d20+6=26, 2d4+6=10)

HG2 @ N10: Hit! Crit! 14 Damage + Staff of the War Mage Bonus (1d8=8) Maximum Damage! -7 / 32

Anarchy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Calling upon the might of Kord, filling his body with power while filling his mind with the memories of his long years of training, Duragon fought through the pain, one crimson eye squinting open as he raised his sword to deliver a powerful overhand blow...!

And then got his sword knocked to the side by the barbarian's wild swings, the heavy swipe almost decapitating Makar before thudding into the cavern floor.

"WHELP OF A CROCODILE!" Duragon swore viciously. "Cock ass dick shit!"

Standard Action: Recovery Strike vs. AC16 (1d20+10=11, 1d10+6=9) Critical FAAAAAAIL
    Minor Action: Healing Word on Duragon. Duragon gains surge value (9) + 3 Healing Lore + Extra healin' (1d6=5) = 17 hitpoints.
    Move Action: Shifting to M7 so that my dwarven brosef can kill this goose.

Duragon's HP: 35/35

GUARDS ON DECK.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Side note: Seems like I write Duragon JUST A BIT ANGRY, right? I'm thinking he has a lot of... repressed rage issues or something, because he's all like 'yeah, I'm a fuckin' rock' most of the time... Until he misses or gets hit or he thinks someone's mocking him. Then he apparently goes Mount Vesuvius on people's asses and starts swearing a lot.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Two down, but the remainder don't look as though they're ready top throw in the towel just yet. Their less than effective attacks suggest that it won't be long in coming, however.

State of play:
    All IC rolls should have The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane as the campaign name. Please capitalise the 'Of' bit to ensure all rolls can be seen at a glance on Invisible Castle.

Initiative order:
    28 - Dain (Streever) Action point used. Once per level re-roll used.
    23 - Anwar (tastydonuts) Action point used. Once per level re-roll used.
    22 - Lucan (Anarchy)
    20 - Duragon (Dac)
    5 - Guards
    3 - Makar (Jam Warrior) Once per level re-roll used.

HP Stats
    Enemy HP
    Human Guard 1: 16/37
    Human Guard 2: Dead!
    Human Guard 3: 16/37
    Human Berserker 1: Dead!
    Human Berserker 2: 45/66

Party HP
    Makar 33/39 (Jam Warrior)
    Dain 27/41 (Streever) +8 Temp HP
    Duragon 35/35 (Dac) +8 Temp HP
    Lucan 32/32 (Anarchy) +8 Temp HP
    Anwar 34/34 (tastydonuts) +8 Temp HP

Enemy Actions
    Human Berserker 2
    Move Action: Shift to O5
    Standard Action: Greataxe on Makar
    HB2 Greataxe vs Makar AC 24 (1d20+7=11, 1d12+4=7)
    Miss!

Human Guard 1
    Move Action: Move to J5
    Standard Action: Charge Makar
    HG1 Halberd on Makar AC 24 (1d20+10=28, 1d10+3=6)
    Hit! Makar takes 6 damage, all of which come off his Temp HP! He is also Marked!

Human Guard 3
    Move Action: Move to K7
    Standard Action: Powerful Strike on Duragon with Halberd
    HG3 Powerful Strike on Duragon AC 17 (1d20+10=12, 1d10+7=15)
    Miss!

Map:
    minesturn2.jpg
    Key:
    HG - Human Guard
    HB - Human Berserker
    Enemy stats
    Human Guard
    AC 16 Fort 12 Ref 14 Will 12

Human Berserker
    AC 15 Fort 15 Ref 14 Will 14
    Status List
    Makar's Divine Challenge on HB2. Marked and due 7 radiant the first time he attacks someone other than Makar.
    Anwar - Chaos Power: +1 AC SNT/Focused Spellfury: +2 DMG ENT
    Next up: Makar.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ?: Can I move in on someone without shifting, or does that provoke OA? I'd like to moive behind Makar/Duragon to hit the guys they are fighting. Alternatively, if Makar can shift the Guard inbetween he & I on his turn, we can flank him and kill him before his next round I imagine.

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Tell me where you want to move to and I'll tell you if you provoke.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    n6... (messages must be 3 characters!)

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, if Makar isn't in that spot then yeah, you can reach it without going next to any of the guards.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ah--I meant N7. I was confused (apparently!) about how OAs work. That's why I've always charged enemies, despite my melee basic attack not being optimal, and it eliminating my ability to use my minor!

I didn't realize you could walk directly next to an enemy. This is great.

I guess OAs only trigger when you LEAVE the square adjacent to an enemy.

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Makar took a moment to turn to Duragon, "Kord preaches power and control Brother. Focus that anger."

He turned back to the Barbarian and, sidestepping to cover his back and aid flanking, continued to box the warrior in. He wanted to strike back at him but the harrying attacks of the Guard behind him drew his attention. A blast of lightning to his face did some nasty damage but Makar could see his allies approaching and played a defencive game, awaiting his perfect moment to strike the fool down.

Message for Dain within again.
    I don't think an ability that effects 'all allies' effects the originator of the ability, right? As such I have no temp HP and am on 33/39

Move: Shift to N5
    Minor: Dragonbreath Vs HG1 (Reflex) (1d20+6=22, 1d6+1=7)
    HIT! HG1 now 9/37
    Standard: Ready action, Shielding Smite Vs HG1. Trigger = ally entering L7.

Both HG1 and HB2 are under the divine mark.

DAIN!
    My tactical suggestion is that you move to L7 to finish off HG3 at which point I can hopefully smush HG1 with my readied flanking attack.

Dain go!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I can go to bed and not hold things up, held action rolled in spoiler. Click as soon as someone steps into L7.
    Really, no cheating and reading this before it's triggered.
    Shielding Smite Vs HG1 (1d20+10=14, 2d10+5=12)

MISS!

Dang, so much for tactics.

Still gets the effect so +3 AC bonus for one round goes to Duragon.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    jam did you add in the flanking bonus I give you?
    "I'm on it, Dragonborn," Dain says, moving forward to engage the latest foe.

Axes whirling, he cuts a deep gash in the guard, who tries to respond with a similar attack. The strong dwarf takes the hit with his axe handle, and shoves the guards weapon aside, his other blade chopping down in a vicious overhand.

The guard crumples at his feet.

Minor:
    Quarry HG3
    Move:
    L7
    Standard:
    Twin Strike vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 12 1d10+2 3 1d20+7 23 1d10 7
    Hit! 7 damage + hunters quarry & hunters privilege
    HQ: 1d6 6+3 for stance

16 total, Human Guard 3 is dead!

Summary:
    PC in L7
    HG3 dead

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yup, flanking included.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Up Next: Anwar

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Anwar brushes by Lucan and snaps his fingers again. The area around the last guard standing erupts into seemingly controlled chaos, causing the guard to collapse to the ground as blood pours from his eyes and nose. He'd need to know what magics he'd be up against deeper down, and what better way than to ask?
    Move R12 -> N11

Chaos Bolt [Target HG1 - 24 vs WILL 12: 19 Psychic Damage (-10/32 HP, Anwar doesn't make this fatal)]
    Chaos Power: +1 AC SNT
    Chaos Bolt (Secondary) [Target HB2 - 11 vs WILL 14: Miss]

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    NEXT UP: Lucan

Also, damn, this is a nice change of pace from getting nearly raped every round. These guys got punked.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I thought an easier combat after a long period of things dragging would speed things up. Tasty - am I right in thinking you wanted to just knock that guy out for questioning later?

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    good call! Hey, I'm in another PBP where we use initiative blocks--it actually seems to speed things up a bit. Is that something we'd think about doing?

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That may be easier. Whilst I can view this board during the day, I can't really post whilst at work so I'm usually the victim of timing.

Anarchy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes. Anwar doesn't make that attack fatal.

No to initiative blocks, please.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Moving furthor into the cave to get a better look, Lucan appears just in time to see one of the guards fall, leaving just one target remaining. Keeping his eyes closed he begins to chant in a low murmur and as he raises a hand in front of him, the air around the wizard becomes very cold, mist hanging from every breath.

Feeling the power around him reach a crescendo, he opens his eyes, glaring at the remaining guard. With resolution in his voice, he just says one word, [i]“To-ri-ní”.[/i]
    A ball of white ice bolts towards the human which....

..flies past his face, hitting the wall behind him with snow. With a sheepish expression, Lucan turns towards the others, “Oops!”
    Move to O10
    Standard Action: Icy Rays vs HB2 (Ref 14) (1d20+6=8, 1d10+5=14)

Miss!

Anarchy on