As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC/OOC]: The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    The sole remaining guard glances at the brutal carnage you have wrought on his comrades and throws his axe to the floor. "I'm done, boys. Shakor ain't paid us for a week or more, and he sure as eggs ain't paying me enough to tangle with the likes of this."

The unconscious guard moans softly in his enforced slumber, and the sounds of mining echo through the junction.

"Will you spare me?" asks the guard.

160XP each. You find a total of 80gp on the guards. How much XP does that make for you guys now?

Bogart on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have xp & gold below.

xp
    100xp: door trap, 160xp these guards, 250 duergars, 150 skill challenge, 220xp first combat, 300xp skellingtons. Dac got +20 for his RP. So we're at 3450 unless we got bonus xp

finances
    this doesn't count last adventure, as we'd split all that money evenly.
    80 guards
    300 krebain
    350gp and 700sp duergar
    Silver tea set - 60GP
    Silver knick-knacks - 70GP
    Frostwolf Pelt
    Gauntlets of Blood
    4 healing potions

streever on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Makar stood for a moment, breathing deeply for a moment and taking in the moment of peace. Without arning he whirled around and with bestial growl, pinned the remaining soldier against the stone wall.

"That depends scum! Will you prove yourself useful and tell us what is going on down here?"

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Gods above, yes!" The guard yelps and grovels pleasingly.

"We've been guarding the mine for Shakor. The birdmen used to help us but they went off hunting some runaways days ago and haven't come back. Kord knows why they are now. Shakor was supposed to come visit the mine and give us our pay but we've seen hide nor hair of him for weeks now."

He is almost sobbing in terror now.

"The slaves are still digging in the mine, but some have been disappearing. They say something took them in the night, and two days ago one of my men vanished. When we found what was left of him half my men upped and left right then, saying the mine was haunted. I can't say as I blame them. There's another party guarding the slaves as they work further in. They'll be with Umgar, though. I'll warrant he'll not surrender to you no matter what you try."

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Thanks for the information, and sorry about your friends," Dain says. "Consider this your back pay," he says as he hands the man 30 gold coins. "Think about what type of man you're working for in the future," he adds, nodding to dismiss the man.

"Let's move on then," he says to his allies.

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Makar watched as the erstwhile captive turned into a rapidly retreating blur. Thoughts as to how wise this action may have been were bouncing around his head but there was little point worrying about them now.

"Softie," he muttered in Dain's direction as he turned back into the mine.

"Well, we might as well press on then." he said as he started to move into the darkness.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The two side passages seem to lead to the guard's living quarters, in which you find little but the detritus of bored lackeys who have not been paid for some time. The main passageway ahead opens out, becoming wider as it descends. The noise of digging and chipping at the rockface grows louder, and the corridor seems to reach a large chamber several hundred yards in. Advancing stealthily to the end of the corridor you can see the central area of this chamber is a hive of activity.

A half-dozen or so guards surround a pit in which slaves excavate rock with picks and shovels. As you watch, one of the slaves pleads with someone you presume to be the leader of the guards to be released, but the only answer he receives from the burly figure is the lash of his whip.

Anwar and Lucan feel the emanations of a strong magical field from the pit. It feels as though an intelligence lurks within this magical vortex and that this intelligence is both held somehow and ... expectant.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Makar turned and whispered to Lucan.

"Reckon you could distract them with a bit of whizz bang so we can get the jump on them? Make voices come from the pit or something?"

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    was in san fran for work until late thursday so had less time to maek poasts, but I'm in with makar's plan.

Scouting the location, Dain tries to size up the odds. Studying the whip-wielding figure--and the strange pit--he tries to ascertain what sort of mining this is.

Perception: 1d20+8 22
    Dungeoneering: 1d20+10 16
    Can I just take 10 on the dungeoneering instead?

streever on
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Creeping towards the pit, Lucan feels a wave of darkness emanating from up ahead. Signalling his teammates to pause for a minute, Lucan cautiously extends his senses, trying to get a better read on what they were about to face.

He was so enthralled with investigating the presence ahead without alerting it, he almost let out a yelp as Makar tapped him on his shoulder. He silently nods in agreement to the paladin and begins to scope out his surrounds.

Looking around tactically, Lucan analyzes the pit ahead of him, and starts to utter a small chant. Holding the spell in his mind, he looks back to the rest of the group, indicating that they should get ready.
    Apologies that I didn’t post this over the weekend.

Perception: Perception (1d20+2=13)
    Arcana Check (The Presense): Arcana (1d20+12=30)
    Dungeoneering Check (The Pit): Dungeoneering (1d20+7=17)

Lucan prepares a Ghost Sound to emanate from the pit. If there is a large rock or something obscured from the guard’s eyeline that I can cause the sound to come room.

Any suggestions what the sound should be guys? I was thinking a shout from a rebelling slave or an explosion/ pit collapse

He will hold this action until the rest of the team are ready and assuming the arcana check doesn’t reveal anything lurking in wait for us.

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    maybe the sound of the Ape King, returning from the dead. Pretty much anything that will surprise the guards affording us an LOLSURPRISEROUND

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Makar took a fighting stance in the shadows, ready to charge in as the distraction hit.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The party creeps closer to the pit, careful to stay in shadows. The guards, after all, are not expecting trouble from outside the pit.

Lucan concentrates hard on the pit, using his minds eye to examine its eldritch contents, and feels something deep down catch him watching. His concentration snaps and he is left with the uncomfortable feeling that something is aware of him, even if the guards aren't.

Lucan whispers an incantation under his breath, and a grim, echoing laughter seems to emanate from the recesses of the pit as his ghost sound magics take effect. The guards start, some of the slaves scream and all eyes are focused on the dim depths of the sunken floor of the excavation. The guard's leader yells at his men to get hold of themselves and stop the prisoners from escaping. Briefly, confusion reigns.

The party takes a deep breath, and rushes forward.

Surprise round when the combat post is up.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Apologies for the delay, but it may have to be the weekend when the combat post goes up.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    no worries dude

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Take your action and roll initiative. Once the surprise round is over we'll fall into normal initiative order.

Also, unless I missed a post or two no-one used any healing surges, so HP is the same as it was at the end of the last combat.

The guards seem terrified of the noise within the pit, and barely notice as the party breaks over them in a wave of violence.

State of play:
    All IC rolls should have The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane as the campaign name. Please capitalise the 'Of' bit to ensure all rolls can be seen at a glance on Invisible Castle.

Initiative order:
    ?? - Dain (Streever) Action point used. Once per level re-roll used.
    ?? - Anwar (tastydonuts) Action point used. Once per level re-roll used.
    ?? - Lucan (Anarchy)
    ?? - Duragon (Dac)
    ?? - Guards
    ?? - Makar (Jam Warrior) Once per level re-roll used.

HP Stats
    Enemy HP
    Human Guard 1: 47/47
    Human Guard 2: 47/47
    Human Guard 3: 47/47
    Human Guard 4: 47/47
    Human Berserker 1: 66/66
    Human Mage: 42/42
    Human Leader: 60/60

Party HP
    Makar 33/39 (Jam Warrior)
    Dain 27/41 (Streever)
    Duragon 35/35 (Dac)
    Lucan 32/32 (Anarchy)
    Anwar 34/34 (tastydonuts)

Enemy Actions
    None yet.

Map:
    cavelair.jpg
    Key:
    HL - Human Leader
    HM - Human Mage
    HG - Human Guard
    HB - Human Berserker
    Enemy stats
    Human Leader
    AC 19 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 18
    These defenses are raised by +2 when he's adjacent to an ally.

Human Mage
    AC 17 Fort 13 Ref 14 Will 15

Human Guard
    AC 18 Fort 16 Ref 15 Will 14

Human Berserker
    AC 15 Fort 15 Ref 14 Will 14
    Status List
    First up: Surprise Round.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ini
    Initiative: 1d20+8 24

streever on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Initiative (5/3/10): 6

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You guys might as well take your surprise action while we're waiting for Dac to post his initiative.

Also, I'm away on holiday this weekend.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Can I assume the hole in the middle is the pit and therefore I can shoot over it?

Anarchy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    dain is going to delay to let a defender mark some of those guys, that way I don't end up solo fighting 3 of them.... or, I'll take my turn if you can tell me where you're going, Jam

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Indeed, the hole in the middle is the pit.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Seizing his moment, Makar roared and charged at the nearest guard. Throwing himself into the middle of the guards he hoped to tie them up enough that is companions could concentrate on the more senior looking targets.
    Chaaaarge! HG4, ending in K10 (1d20+11=25, 1d10+5=8)

HIT! HG4 now 39/47

Activate Boots of Adept Charging to shift to L9.

Melee Basic uses the Virtuous Strike power so Makar gets +2 to saving throws until start next turn.

No chances to mark with only a single surprise round action I'm afraid.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wait, isn't marking a free action?

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The Paladin mark is a minor (Divine Challenge) and requires me to either attack or end my turn next to the victim, so impossible to do with a single action at range!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ahh, no worries. I just wanted to make sure you didn't go left while I went right or something. I didn't want to end up the only melee-guy between the wizards and the warriors.

Following the dragonborn paladin's lead, Dain hurtles toward the nearest guard himself, axes flailing. The blade comes down--hard--on the guard.

Dain's Turn
    Standard:
    charge: 1d20+10 20 1d10+5 14
    Attack: 19+1 (charge), Hit!
    Damage: 14

Summary:
    PC is in L10
    HG4 25/47

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Focusing on the men across the pit, Lucan slams his staff into the ground and a small explosion erupts next to the leader which engulfs him in flames. The nearby soldier seems unaffected by the blast, but an expression of shock and fear washes over him from the ferocity of the groups attack.
    Standard Action:Scorching Burst at I4 (1d20+6=18, 1d20+6=9, 1d6+5=7)

HL @ H4: Hit! 7 Damage! 53/60
    HB @ J3: Miss

Anarchy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Anwar does nothing.
    Chaos Bolt [Target HG4 - 8 vs WILL 14 : Miss]
    Chaos Power: +1 AC SNT

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In other news, I am terrible.

Hefting his blade, Duragon's scaled feet swiftly beat across the floor, hurling him towards the harried human guard!

Though mighty and glowing softly with the trembling might of Kord, he overswings in his eagerness, blade passing by the guard and crunching into the ground, taking out a solid chunk of it.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Your initial attack seems to have been blunted by the desperate defence of the guards, and they rapidly regather their senses.

From the pit you can hear cries of fear from the slaves.

And something else. A faint tremble in the earth beneath your feet seems to emanate from the pit.

State of play:
    All IC rolls should have The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane as the campaign name. Please capitalise the 'Of' bit to ensure all rolls can be seen at a glance on Invisible Castle.

Initiative order:
    24 - Dain (Streever) Action point used. Once per level re-roll used
    19 - Makar (Jam Warrior) Once per level re-roll used
    12 - Lucan (Anarchy)
    9 - Guards
    6 - Anwar (tastydonuts) Action point used. Once per level re-roll used
    5 - Duragon (Dac)

HP Stats
    Enemy HP
    Human Guard 3: 47/47
    Human Guard 4: 25/47
    Human Mage: 42/42
    Human Leader: 53/60

Party HP
    Dain 27/41 (Streever)
    Duragon 35/35 (Dac)
    Lucan 32/32 (Anarchy)
    Anwar 34/34 (tastydonuts)

Enemy Actions
    None yet.

Map:
    cavelairturn1.jpg
    Key:
    HL - Human Leader
    HM - Human Mage
    HG - Human Guard
    HB - Human Berserker
    Enemy stats
    Human Leader

Human Mage

Human Guard

Human Berserker
    Status List
    Anwar - Chaos Power: +1 AC SNT
    Makar gets +2 to saving throws until start next turn.
    First up: Dain.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dain's been watching the way this human moved.

As he charged in, he saw how he blocked. How he shifted. How he held his shield, and where he kept his sword.

His careful study had just paid off. His axes fly through the air, one coming in low. The guard predictably lowered his shield, raising his sword to take the second blow.

Too late.

The second axe changed directions quicker than his eye could follow, tearing into him with a sickening thud. Realizing his mistake, the guard gurgles blood for a second before expiring at the dwarf's feet.

Dain falls back into a tactically safe position, shielding the magic-users from their exposed left flank.

"Alright Dragons," he says, "Let's keep it up."
    Minor:
    Quarry on HG4
    Standard:
    Twin Strike vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged), two attacks: 2#1d20+9 29 12 1d10+2 7 1d10 1
    29, 10--first hits! Critical, damage maxed:
    12+6 (quarry), plus:
    crit bonus: 2d6 8
    36 total damage

HG4 is smoked!

Move:
    Dain ends in H11

Summary:
    Dain H11
    HG4 DEAD

Next up: Makar

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Makar smashed his hammer down on the nearest guard, letting forth a roar that echoed with divine rage and bolstered his allies as it shook his foes. Then working his way in to the centre of the melee, he belched forth his lightning blast at the crowds. It only mildly singed the guard and mage but it conveyed his intentions perfectly and drew their attention to him.

"Smashing time!"

Can I see anything more in the pit from here?

Also had I remembered I would have surged up to full health before the fight. DM call on that one.

Standard: Righteous Smite Vs HG3 (1d20+8=24, 2d10+5=16)

Hit! HG3 now at 31/47

All allies within 5 (all of them) gain 8 temp HP

Move: to N7 (eating an opportunity from HG3)

Minor: Dragon Breath on HG2 and HM (1d20+5=13, 1d20+5=24, 1d6+1=2) Vs Ref.

Miss HG2, HIT HM for a massive 2 damage! Now on 40/42

HG2 and HM are divinely marked. Due 7 radiant damage for first attack made that doesn't target Makar.

Up next: Lucan

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lucan raised his staff and aimed it at the two men across the pit. A flash of white light ran down the wood and two bolts of ice shot out towards the men. The first of the two, dodged effortlessly out of the way as the ice zoomed over his head, however, the other man was not so lucky. Already stunned from the surprise attack, he let out a yelp as he got struck once more, his armour freezing from the point of impact and started to flow over his body. Within seconds, ice covered most of his body and the leader found himself stuck where he was.
    Move Action: Move to J11
    Standard Action: Icy Rays vs H4 and J3 (1d20+6=11, 1d10+5=7, 1d20+6=22, 1d10+5=11)
    HB @ H4: Miss!
    HL @ J3: Hit! 11 Damage! 42/60 Immobilized!

Anarchy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    HG3 OA on Makar
    Standard Action: HG3 Halberd OA on Makar

The guards gather around their leader protectively, then fan out to engage you in hand to hand. Unsuccessfully.

In the pit, Makar notices that the workers seem to have stopped shouting, but from his vantage point he can't see what might have caused it.

State of play:

Initiative order:
    24 - Dain (Streever) Action point used. Once per level re-roll used
    19 - Makar (Jam Warrior) Once per level re-roll used
    12 - Lucan (Anarchy)
    9 - Guards
    6 - Anwar (tastydonuts) Action point used. Once per level re-roll used
    5 - Duragon (Dac)

HP Stats
    Enemy HP
    Human Guard 3: 31/47
    Human Guard 4: Dead!
    Human Mage: 40/42
    Human Leader: 42/60 Immobilized!

Party HP
    Dain 19/41 (Streever)
    Duragon 35/35 +3 temp (Dac)
    Lucan 32/32 +8 temp (Anarchy)
    Anwar 34/34 +8 temp (tastydonuts)

Enemy Actions
    Human Guard 1
    Move Action: Move to G9
    Standard Action: HG1 Halberd on Dain
    HG1 Halberd on Dain AC 17 (1d20+10=21, 1d10+3=11)
    Hit! Dain takes 11 damage!

Human Guard 2
    Standard Action: HG2 Halberd on Makar
    HG2 Halberd on Makar AC 24 (1d20+10=22, 1d10+3=12)
    Miss!

Human Guard 3
    Move Action: Move to N8
    Standard Action: HG3 Halberd on Makar
    HG3 Halberd on Makar AC 24 (with CA) (1d20+12=13, 1d10+3=12)
    Critical Miss! Worst Guards Ever!

Human Berserker
    Move Action: Move to E11
    Standard Action: Charge Dain (ending in G10)
    HB Charge Dain AC 17 (1d20+7=9, 1d12+4=11)
    Miss!

Human Mage
    Standard Action: Dancing Lightning
    HM Dancing Lightning on Makar REF 15 Duragon REF 12 Dain REF 15 (1d20+7=12, 1d6+4=5, 1d20+7=17, 1d6+4=10, 1d20+7=16, 1d6+4=9)
    Miss Makar! Hit Duragon and Dain! Duragon and Dain take 5 damage!

Human Leader
    Standard Action: Inspirational Authority on HG3
    HG3 Attack on Makar
    HG3 Halberd on Makar AC 24 Extra Attack (1d20+10=22, 1d10+3=9)
    Miss!

Map:
    cavelairturn2.jpg
    Key:
    HL - Human Leader
    HM - Human Mage
    HG - Human Guard
    HB - Human Berserker
    Enemy stats
    Human Leader

Human Mage

Human Guard

Human Berserker
    Status List
    Anwar - Chaos Power: +1 AC SNT
    Makar gets +2 to saving throws until start next turn.
    HG2 and HM are divinely marked. Due 7 radiant damage for first attack made that doesn't target Makar.
    HL Immobilized!
    Next up: Anwar

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MAKAR AM TANK!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Streever: it's not your turn. I haven't had my turn this round! This post will be edited to include it. :>

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    First up: Dain.

just following instructions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) sorry for confusion tl;dr bogart is bad and should feel bad (Ok just kidding)

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The androgynous homunculus perched on the sorcerer's shoulder premptively makes a gesture toward its crotch that was pretty universal in its intent toward Dain as Anwar raises a hand. When the sorcerer snaps his fingers a font of chaotic energy forcefully springs out of the Human Berserker's face.

You totally skipped two of your mates though. GJ! D:

Chaos Bolt [(R) Target HB - 21 vs WILL 14: Hit 16 Damage (51/66)]

Whenever Dain's turn hits the stack, the guy's HP would be 26/66 between the two of our attacks.

tastydonuts on