As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC/OOC]: The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    My fault - hadn't edited out the 'first up' bit from the last post. Streever, you can keep your turn as you rolled it if you like, but it will occur in the proper place.

Bogart on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Letting out a powerful shout, Duragon advances on the barbarian!

Swinging, his blade clangs against the human's raised weapon, rebounding off with a resounding twang.

Blinking, Duragon suddenly snarled and rammed his head forward, catching the brute across the chin with his ebony scaled head, sending the man reeling backward. The weapon droops.

The dragonborn's blade flashes again, slashing a fresh cut across the man's abdomen. Though light, it seems to have made the point, and Duragon grins toothily. "You had something on your face," he hisses.
    Move Action: To H10.
    Minor Action: Healing Word on Dain. Healing Surge Value + Extra healin (1d6=6) + 3. So HSV + 9 total
    Standard Action: Recov Strike vs. AC 15 (1d20+10=19, 1d10+6=7)

Poo for minimum damage, but yay for max healing.

So Dain gets 19 total hitpoints back from the healing word, and then another 6 because he hit the target I had used Recovery strike on. So he goes up 25 hitpoints over whatever he got for his Second Wind. He's now at full.

~not bad day~

edit: Actually that's a total waste. He would only get one hp back from Recovery Strike. I don't suppose I can change that our for Righteous Brand. Heh.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    After you heal him for that much I'm guessing he won't bother with his second wind. Streever - repost your turn and edit it out of the post above to keep thing intelligible in the thread. You can remove the minor taking your second wind if you like.

Bogart on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    nice! barbarian is down to 19 real quick and I'm all healed. thanks a lot bogart!

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    if there is a spare heal, I could probably use it, but with my bonus AC this round I'll probably be ok

The older dwarf looks a bit harried for a moment, before scowling and returning fire. A bit stressed but not much the worse for wear, he neatly sidesteps the berserkers clumsy attacks. He starts whirling one of the axes in front of him, distracting the smelly and otherwise defenseless man.

He's reminded of one of his first kills. A half-mad diseased wolf, alone from it's pack and ravenously hungry. They circled each other, Dain learning the wolf's patterns and movements. As it lunged, he swung, catching it directly in the throat. With a pained howl the creature died, and Dain wasn't bit. Alone in the forest, it was a matter of life and death that he not be injured.

As his thoughts reflect on the past, the burly man leaps forward, snarling as he swings a blood-spattered sword. Ducking beneath the wild swing, Dain's axes arc upwards, drawing deep gashes in his enemy.

Howling in fury, the berserker swings again, and Dain dodges again. He's not done yet. That barely even fazed him, Dain thinks to himself, in amazement at the man's capacity to endure pain.

"Sorceror, if you don't do something about this one we might be in for a rough spot!" he calls back to the flamboyant and strange magician. Wizards! You can never count on them, he reminds himself glumly.

Minor:
    Quarry on HB
    Two-Fanged Strike vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 21 1d10+5 10 1d20+7 15 1d10+3 10
    Attack 1: 21, Hit!
    Attack 2: 15, Hit!

Damage: 10+10+2 (wis bonus if both hit) + quarry quarry damage: 1d6 3
    25 total damage!

Summary:
    Dain 31/41
    HB 41/66

If Dain is attacked by an adjacent foe, he will use his interrupt power

streever on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hate to be that nitpicky guy but it is a fairly major point:
    All allies within 5 (all of them) gain 8 temp HP

I put it in bright green and everything!

Corrected HP list below:

Party HP
    Makar 33/39 (Jam Warrior)
    Dain 41/41 (Streever)
    Duragon 35/35 +3 temp (Dac)
    Lucan 32/32 +8 temp (Anarchy)
    Anwar 34/34 +8 temp (tastydonuts)

And HB is 18/66

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If someone is pushed into M6 is that safe ground or potential fall?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "You totally skipped two of your mates though. GJ! D:"

Don't worry, I made a note to myself to keep track of you too.

Thanks Jam! I am apparently in good condition.

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If you're not using your second wind, and you gained benefit from Recovery Strike, you should be at 19 + 6 = 25 + your old hitpoints (11) = 36 hitpoints. Right?

Dac on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    TEMP HP!

GRAAAARGH!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    temp hp for the win

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It is a pretty awesome encounter power. Hit it off at the start of the encounter to include everyone in the range and it's 32HP of damage buffer plus a 2[W] smack to the face.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dammit. Sorry, Jam. Totally forgot about that power.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    'Out of the way insects!'

With a cry that might have been 'KORD!' but sounded more like 'KAAAAAAARGH!' to the listener, Makar let out a roar which accompanied a blinding flash of light from the holy symbol on his breastplate. The two guards staggered back to cover their eyes, freeing Makar to back up and barrel at high speed into the hapless Mage in an attempt to bodily throw him into the pit below. The bulk of scale, muscle and steel lifted the frail human off his feet and the man was sent tumbling.

Nobody is marked by me anymore but hopefully the -2s will keep the guards under control. Here's hoping the dramatic move pays off! Honestly, given a chance to push a wizard in a hole could anybody resist?
    Minor: Divine Rage Vs Will, HG2 & HG3 (1d20+4=18, 1d20+4=18)

2 x HIT! HG2 pushed to M5, HG3 to M9. Both suffer -2 to attack until Makar's next EOT.

Move: to P4

Standard: Charge to N5, Bullrush HM Vs Fort (1d20+4=20)

Push! HM to make save or fall down hole (L5). Makar will take his space if he falls.

Up next Lucan or Human Mage 1

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    With the screams of rage bellowing in his ears from Makar’s assault, the wizard aimed at the leader once more, his mind solely focussed on eliminating his target. The tip of the staff began to glow and sweat beaded down from his forehead. Letting out a scream as the energy coursed through him, the light became almost blinding and it raced off towards the man.

The frozen figure could do nothing but watch as the two bolts of light smacked solidly into his chest. He gasped as he found himself free of the ice once more and clutched his chest from the pain of the impact. However, the magic had done its work and blood coated his hand as he removed it from the wound.
    Standard Action: Magic Missile vs HL (1d20+6=26, 2d4+5=9)
    HL @ J3: Critical Hit! 13 Damage + Staff of the War Mage Critical (1d8=4)! 17 Total! 25/60! Bloodied!

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Smoke is issuing from the pit in the middle of the mine. A dull booming sound echoes throughout the chamber. The guards dart panicky eyes towards the hole in between their furious defence.

Makar's armoured charge carries him almost into the pit, and the mage stumbles backwards, loses his footing and tumbles in. He screams as he falls. A loud thud is heard perhaps twenty feet below, and then a louder scream, full of terror and pain.

Laughter reverberates from the smoking pit.

State of play:
    All IC rolls should have The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane as the campaign name. Please capitalise the 'Of' bit to ensure all rolls can be seen at a glance on Invisible Castle.

Initiative order:
    24 - Dain (Streever) Action point used. Once per level re-roll used
    19 - Makar (Jam Warrior) Once per level re-roll used
    12 - Lucan (Anarchy)
    9 - Guards
    6 - Anwar (tastydonuts) Action point used. Once per level re-roll used
    5 - Duragon (Dac)

HP Stats
    Enemy HP
    Human Guard 1: 47/47
    Human Guard 2: 47/47
    Human Guard 3: 31/47
    Human Guard 4: Dead!
    Human Berserker: 18/66
    Human Mage: Dead!
    Human Leader: 25/60 Immobilized!

Party HP
    Makar 16/39 (Jam Warrior)
    Dain 41/41 (Streever)
    Duragon [35/35 (Dac) +3 temp (Dac)
    Lucan 32/32 (Anarchy) +8 temp

Enemy Actions
    Human Guard 1
    Move Action: Move to H9
    Standard Action: HG1 Powerful Strike on Duragon
    HG1 Powerful Strike on Duragon AC 17 (1d20+10=12, 1d10+7=13)
    Miss!

Human Guard 2
    Move Action: Move to N6
    Standard Action: HG2 Powerful Strike on Makar
    HG2 Powerful Strike on Makar AC 24 (1d20+10=30, 1d10+7=8)
    Critical hit! Makar takes 17 damage and is knocked prone!

Human Guard 3
    Move Action: Move to L10
    Standard Action: HG3 Powerful Strike on Lucan
    HG3 Powerful Strike on Lucan AC 18 (1d20+10=12, 1d10+7=8)
    Miss!

Human Berserker
    Free Action: Being bloodied gives him a battle fury action
    HB Battle Fury free Action after being bloodied on Duragon AC 17 (1d20+11=12, 1d20+1d6+4=21)
    Standard Action: HB Axe on Duragon
    HB Greataxe on Duragon AC 17 (1d20+7=16, 1d12+4=5)
    Miss! Berserker is upset!

Human Mage
    Standard Action: Try not to fall down the hole
    Saving throw for Human Mage to not fall down a hole. (1d20=7)
    Fail! See narration above.

Human Leader
    Standard Action: [strike]Looks at pitiful guards and gives up.[/strike] Urge Hesitation on Duragon, Dain and Lucan
    HL Urge Hesitation on Duragon WILL 17 Dain WILL 13 Lucan WILL 16 (1d20+9=27, 1d20+9=16, 1d20+9=25)
    Hits all three! Dain, Duragon and Lucan now cannot take a Standard Action next turn!

Map:
    cavelairturn3.jpg
    Key:
    HL - Human Leader
    HG - Human Guard
    HB - Human Berserker
    Enemy stats
    Human Leader
    AC 19 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 18
    These defenses are raised by +2 when he's adjacent to an ally.

Human Guard
    AC 18 Fort 16 Ref 15 Will 14

Human Berserker
    AC 15 Fort 15 Ref 14 Will 14
    Status List
    HG2, HG3 suffer -2 to attack until Makar's next EOT (forgot this but it would have made no difference to the rolls).
    Dain, Duragon and Lucan cannot take a Standard Action next turn.
    Makar is prone!
    Next up: Anwar

Bogart on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Gods, this is getting old. Die!" Anwar raises a hand and thrusts it down toward the ground. As he does so, a bolt of lightning materializes above the human leader and slams into his body. Once again, the room is consumed by the sounds of thunder.

Move G13 -> I13

Dancing Lightning (Enc) [(R) Target HL - 18 vs REF 17: Hit 17 Damage (8/60)]
    Chaos Power: +1 AC SNT

Unfortunately for me, I caught this myself while vetting it, but I have a double roll here. it's just one that happened after would kill him since it dealt 26 damage. Agitation ensued.

Rolled on: 2010-05-24 11:19:33.566846 for 17
    Rolled on: 2010-05-24 11:19:33.916846 for 26. :|

*SIGH* Can't you just let me use the second so he could die?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "Nice work lizard!" Dain calls out to Makar, nearly jumping for joy.

Moments later, as their leader affects his mind, he feels his hands start to droop, his axes pointed at the ground.
    "What is this?" Dain asks Duragon, mystified. "Do you feel it to?"

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "It's... ... Bad," the Dragonborn guessed. Succinctness was one of his strong points, he liked to think.

Hesitating to charge the human leader, distracted by the sound coming from the pit, he carefully edged out of the way of combat, nearer to the injured Makar, letting out a shout to bolster his ally.

Who knew what was waiting for them? He needed everyone at their best.

Move Action: Shift to I9
    Minor Action: Healing Word on Makar. Mark can spend a healing surge and gain the value + 3 + Extra healin (1d6=3) (+6 overall).

Dac on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dain grits his teeth. "Damn right it's bad, lizard. Damn right. I can't even swing my axe..." Dain steps back from the Berserker, shielding his sorcerous comrade. "I'm just backing you up, wizard," he explains, hoping no one calls him a coward.

Shift to g12, hopefully I won't be caught in another burst

Turn over!

Makar

Dain will use his immediate interrupt if anyone swings a sword within melee range of him and they roll a hit

streever on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    A wide grin spread over Makar's face as the enemy wizard disappeared shrieking into the darkness. Before he could see the fate of the man though, he was thrown to the floor himself in agony as the nearby guard cut him cruelly with his halberd.

The gruff words of Duragon cut through the pain and helped him stagger back to his feet, though he could do little else after his recovery other than re-engage the fight as best he could.
    1 surge used. 10 remain. 32/39 HP

Move: Stand up.

Move: to O7.

Minor: Divine challenge HG2.

HG2 marked and due 7 radiant the first time he makes an attack that doesn't target Makar.

Up next Lucan:

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lucan's grin quickly turns into a confused mess as a wave of uncertainty washes over him. He subconciously takes a step back, his hand rubbing his forehead as he attempts to clear his mind and regain focus.

"Do you think it's up for answering some questions?" the wizard stammers, looking towards the hole.
    Nothing exciting sorry.

Move Action:Shift to 12

That is all...

...actually, I can't ignore that presense from the pit, I need to be a bit more proactive. Arcana Check....go! (1d20+12=22)

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The party seems to pause to gather their thoughts and their courage, and the opposing guards do the same, gathering enough of their senses to press a more succesful attack this time.

Their leader joins the fray, slashing wildly at Duragon's flanks.

State of play:
    All IC rolls should have The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane as the campaign name. Please capitalise the 'Of' bit to ensure all rolls can be seen at a glance on Invisible Castle.

Initiative order:
    12 - Lucan (Anarchy)
    9 - Guards
    5 - Duragon (Dac)

HP Stats
    Enemy HP
    Human Guard 1: 47/47
    Human Leader: 8/60

Party HP
    Makar 22/39 (Jam Warrior)
    Dain 41/41 (Streever)
    Duragon 17/35 (Dac) (Dac)
    Lucan 20/32 (Anarchy) +8 temp

Enemy Actions
    Human Guard 1
    Standard Action: HG1 Halberd on Duragon
    HG1 Halberd on Duragon AC 17 (1d20+10=25, 1d10+3=11)
    Hit! Duragon takes 11 damage and is marked!

Human Guard 2
    Standard Action: HG2 Halberd on Makar
    HG2 Halberd on Makar AC 24 (1d20+10=25, 1d10+3=10)
    Hit! Makar takes 10 damage and is marked!

Human Guard 3
    Standard Action: HG3 Halberd on Lucan
    HG3 Halberd on Lucan AC 18 (1d20+10=22, 1d10+3=12)
    Hit! Lucan takes 12 damage and is marked!

Human Berserker
    Move Action: Move to G11
    Standard Action: HB Axe on Dain
    HB Greataxe on Dain AC 17 (1d20+7=13, 1d12+4=13)
    Miss!

Human Leader
    Move Action: Move to H10
    Standard Action: Longsword on Duragon
    HL Longsword on Duragon AC 17 (1d20+10=26, 1d8+3=10)
    Hit! Duragon takes 10 damage!

Map:
    cavelairturn4.jpg
    Key:
    HL - Human Leader
    HG - Human Guard
    HB - Human Berserker
    Enemy stats
    Human Leader
    AC 19 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 18
    These defenses are raised by +2 when he's adjacent to an ally.

Human Guard

Human Berserker
    AC 15 Fort 15 Ref 14 Will 14
    Status List
    HG2 marked and due 7 radiant the first time he makes an attack that doesn't target Makar.
    HL gains 2 to all defences while adjacent to an ally, so bump those figures up by two if youn attack him this round.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Loose dirt and rocks on the ground in the middle of the berserker, guard and their leader suddenly shoots across the ground as a sudden microburst springs forth. Caught unaware by the blast to their their legs, the leader and guard flip in the air. When the two land, only the guard seems to be to still be breathing. Anwar scratches his chin, as he looks for some remark to make about the situation.

"Nope, I've got nothing."
    Whirldwind (Enc) [(R) AB1(G11), Target HL - 23 vs FORT 21: Hit 10 Damage (-2/60 *HL KO'd*), Target HB - 14 vs FORT 15: Miss, Target HG1 22 vs FORT 16: Hit 10 Damage (37/47 AND Knocked Prone)]

Just in case it's missed, HG1 is prone!

Next: Duragon

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Duragon cried out as the leader's blades bit into his scales.

Staggering back, blood dripping from a deep cut in his side, the dragonborn hefted his well-worn blade above his head in both hands, corded muscles bunching before he brought the tip down in a swift, deadly chop.

The human guard screamed.

"You wanted me? Now you got me," Duragon hissed.

Standard Action: Healing Strike vs. HG1 AC18 (1d20+13=33) CRIT! 26 damage!

Duragon spends a healing surge and recovers 12 hitpoints.

HG1 is now at 11/47 hitpoints.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Still dancing warily around the filthy human, Dain feints, producing a snarl from his adversary. The berserker was following his movements now and wouldn't be so easily dispatched.

The gauntlets he wears glow bright red, as he swings both axes downward in a deadly arc. His wily adversary blocks, but the force is simply too great, and the axes cleave deeply into him. The berserker collapses at his feet.

Not one to rejoice in death, the ranger finds his next target and heads over to him, interposing himself between the soldier and his magical allies.
    Standard:
    Twin Strike vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 19 1d10+2 3 1d20+7 18 1d10 10 quarry damage: 1d6 2
    Hit x2
    13 base, 2 quarry, 15
    Free Action!
    Gauntlets of Ogre Power, +5 damage, 20 total
    Berserker is dead

Minor:
    Quarry on HG3

Move:
    J11

Summary:
    Dain 41/41
    Human Berserker: -2/66, dead

streever on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Makar winced at the guard's blow, but smiled at the sounds of puny human screaming behind him. He kept his man under control but failed to land any good blows whilst he craned his neck to see what was causing the commotion in the pit.

"I think these guys were just the starter..."
    Standard: Enfeebling Strike Vs HG2 (1d20+8=13, 1d10+5=9)
    Miss

Divine mark on HG2 remains.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Eager to finish the last of the leaders comrades, Lucan raises his staff and points it towards one of the remaining guards. Two beams of light race towards him, but blink out of existence just before they reach their target.

He sheepishly turns towards Anwar, "It appears I've got nothing too."
    Standard Action: Magic Missile vs HG1 (1d20+4=6, 2d4+5=8)
    Miss!

Also, did my Arcana in the previous turn not spot anything, was I even allowed to do that (Its a minor right?)

Anarchy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    At the backs of the guards smoke begins to billow out of the pit. Inside the smoke, something is moving. The guards shrink away from the pit but continue fighting.

Lucan and Anwar's arcane senses scream a warning as black shapes swirl within the fog.

State of play:

Initiative order:
    12 - Lucan (Anarchy)
    9 - Guards
    5 - Duragon (Dac)

HP Stats
    Enemy HP
    Human Guard 1: 11/47 Prone!
    Human Leader: Dead!

Party HP
    Makar 22/39 (Jam Warrior)
    Dain 41/41 (Streever)
    Duragon 24/35 (Dac) (Dac)
    Lucan 28/32 (Anarchy) (corrected from last post, as I'd forgotten his temp HP)

Enemy Actions
    Human Guard 1
    Move Action: Gets the hell up
    Standard Action: HG1 Halberd on Duragon
    HG1 Halberd on Duragon AC 17 (1d20+10=24, 1d10+3=5)
    Hit! Duragon takes 5 damage and is marked!

Human Guard 2
    Standard Action: HG2 Halberd on Makar
    HG2 Halberd on Makar AC 24 (1d20+10=17, 1d10+3=10)
    Miss!

Human Guard 3
    Move Action: Move to L12
    Standard Action: HG3 Halberd on Lucan
    HG3 Halberd on Lucan AC 18 (1d20+10=13, 1d10+3=12)
    Miss!

Map:
    cavelairturn5.jpg
    Key:
    HG - Human Guard
    Enemy stats
    Human Guard
    Status List
    HG1 is Prone

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Anwar snaps his fingers and a burst of multicolored streaks of light erupt from the face of the guard near Duragon. The display is almost looks like cheap confetti. The guard stands there for a moment before falling down again. He wasn't getting up this time. The sorcerer then turns his attention to the sensation he felt.
    Chaos Bolt [(R) Target HG1 - 17 vs WILL 14: Hit 12 Damage (-1/47 *HG1 KO'd*)]

Arcana (@ Source of Warning): 22

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Duragon breathed deeply, looking over his shoulder at Anwar. "Thanks," he growled, though something in his voice suggested that he would have rather killed the guard himself.

No matter, he thought. Dashing across the battlefield, he snuck in on the third guard's exposed side with a quick slash.

However, his swing went wide, and he spun around in place before staggering dizzily backward!

Move Action: Move to M11. (->J9, K9, L10, M11)
    Standard Action: Righteous Brand vs. HG3 AC 18 (1d20+10=11, 1d10+6=13) Critical Miss!

Dac on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dain chuckled to himself as he saw Duragon's wild swing go wide. No matter. He was in a good position to finish off this guard.

Stepping past his arcane ally, Dain throws the guard completely off balance. While the armored human manages to block the Rangers axes, he's not in any shape to counter the next assault.

"Duragon, help Makar!" Dain insists. "We've got this one taken care of."

Move
    K11

Standard
    Twin Strike vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+11 21 1d10+2 4 1d20+9 23 1d10 6 1d6 4
    21. 23, both hit
    HG3 takes 14

Summary
    Dain in K11
    Human Guard 3: 17/47

streever on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "I need no help!" lied Makar as he continued to ineffectually chip away at the slipperiest mook he had ever encountered.
    Standard: Enfeebling strike (1d20+8=25, 1d10+5=6)

HIT Guard2 41/47.

Guard2 has -2 to hit until Makar's next EOT and remains divinely marked.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "My target is almost down, Makar. I can come over & and strap up your bootlaces in a minute."

streever on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nervously keeping an eye on the approaching fog, Lucan fires another two bolts of light at one of the few remaining guards. The man recoiled from the impact, blood pouring out of a fresh wound; he wouldn’t be able to take another hit like that.

“Finally!,” the wizard cackles, although his grin fades as the fog edges ever closer.

“I’d keep your distance from that,” he shouts; a warning to the others.
    Standard Action: Magic Missile vs HG3 (1d20+6=24, 2d4+5=7)
    HG3 @ L12: Hit! 7 Damage! 10/47

Arcana vs Smoke / Creature (1d20+12=32) Crit! I perceive all!

Anarchy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The guards are on the verge of surrendering, and one gets as far as falling to his knees with a plea for mercy on his lips. Hes words are halted by a choking splutter as a long, scaled tentacle wraps itself around his neck from behind. It's black surface shines horribly in the torchlight and then, with a sudden jerking motion, the sinewy limb snaps back and pulls the guard inexorably towards the pit. The guard struggles feebly as you watch in horror, and his compatriot, through bravery or sheer insanity, dives forward to help him. As his comrade tries to prise the tentacle off his neck, two more appear over the lip of the pit. Too late, the second guard sees the danger, and the horrid living ropes wrap themselves around his arms.

The guards disappear over the lip of the pit, and a nauseating tearing sound, accompanied by stifled screams, issues forth. Then silence. Then laughter, deep and booming, reverberating throughout the chamber.

"Welcome, little people." Says a voice.

Lucan's keen senses attune themselves to the arcane atmosphere, and he feels something push through from elsewhere to this dimension with a groping claw of force. Whatever Shakor was digging for has turned out to be less a source of power than of terror. This is an eldritch beast from below, and its hunger leeches courage from your soul. One tiny glimmer of hope remains. The creature feels unformed in this dimension. perhaps there's still time to send it back.

As Lucan shouts out this information, more tentacles fly over the lip of the pit, grabbing legs and arms wherever they can. Lucan, Duragon and Anwar find themselves being dragged towards the pit as they scramble to free themselves.

Skill challenge.

Lucan, Duragon and Anwar are being pulled towards the pit by one tentacle each, and will be dragged in when three rounds are up.

They can try and grab on to something to arrest their progress towards the pit, where terrible things will happen to them. This is a DC 13 athletics check. Success will mean they are dragged no farther this round.

The can try and struggle free of the tentacle. This is a DC 15 athletics check.

Failure at either of these will mean they're dragged.

They can attack the tentacle (see stats below), but will suffer a -4 penalty to any attack rolls as they're prone.

If you miss, or don't kill it, you'l be dragged.

Makar and Dain, being free, can aid their comrades, either by assisting the grabbed comrades rolls (a success on a DC 13 athletics or strength check will give one comrade a +2 bonus on their own roll), or by attacking the tentacle and trying to make it break free (the tentacle has an AC of 19, a FORT of 18 and a REF of 18 (can't be attacked by WILL attacks), and you need to do 15 total hp of damage to make it let go).

Or you can try something else.

A critical failure will mean that a further tentacle has grabbed hold of whoever made the failure.

A critical success will mean that that person (or the person you're trying to free) has completely broken free.

Once someone is free from the tentacles they can assis their comrades (or retreat to safety and pour themselves a nice long brandy).

And 200xp each from the last fight. And no, no time yet for using healing surges and a short rest.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Gods damn it," Dain mutters. Rushing forward, he uses both of his axes in a particularly vicious strike, Dain completely severs the tentacles holding Lucan in place. Bits of monster goo splatter, spilling all over the wiry ranger and the wizard. "Sorry lad," he offers.
    I wasn't sure if I could hit two tentacles: if so, let me know, and I'll revise my post to deal 6 to one & 16 to the other.

Twin Strike vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 23 1d10+2 6 1d20+7 27 1d10 6
    23, hit, and a crit!
    6+10+6 (max quarry damage)
    I also get bonus crit damage I won't bother to roll because the Tentacle only has 15 hp.

streever on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Eh?" Anwar says as the creature grabs hold of him. He hits the dirt, hard. It would seem that if the burly guards had failed to save themselves Anwar would fail miserably. But, seemingly through sheer indignation at being grabbed, the sorcerer jerks himself free of the creature's grasp. "What the hell are you doing?" he asks.

Athletics to Escape: (17)

[strike]I'll throw a roll and action into an edit on this post... but I'm confused.

I can make an athletics check to not be moved? Or I can make an athletics check to struggle free? Seems redundant @_@. Can I use acrobatics to slip myself loose instead of using brute force?[/strike]

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Awesome! Same initiative order?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Tasty, the athletics check to break free is a bit more difficult than the one to stay where you are, so delaying to allow comrades to come to your aid is easier than breaking free yourself.

I don't think acrobatics seems quite right for this check, so I'll say no on that, tasty, unless you can RP a great example of how it could be.

Dain can only attack one tentacle at a time with his twin strike.

And yeah, forgot to say that it was in the same initiative order, so Makar next.

Bogart on