As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC/OOC]: The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd like to buy magic hide armor actually--level 1, Hide +1. I have 376 gp minus my expenditures, so I should be set if it's available--do you want me to rp buying it?

streever on
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sounds like a plan!

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Hearing of your desire for quality armour, Shada advises you to try the Street of Broken Blades to the west of here. A goliath named Brevor should see to your needs where you see the sign of a copper cuirass with a red cross emblazoned on the chest. Shada's advice is good, and you find the place with no problems.
    RP the purchase, and you can try a diplomacy roll to knock 50gp off if you like.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Ahoy, friend," Dain offers as he enters the shop.

"I was sent here by the good lady Shada to buy the highest quality armor available. I'm looking for something light-weight that would fit a small fellow like myself."

As Brevor shows him his wares, Dain offers praise where it is due. He tells him of the battle against Tizun Thane's family, & generally hopes to prove a charming sort--partially to get a better price, and partially out of a desire for camaraderie.
    sweet talk the salesman: 1d20+0 9 bam... a lowly 9!

streever on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Brevor listens to your tale with interest, and politely ignores your clumsy attempts to buy his quality armour for less than its worth.
    You have your hide armour, but at full price. Keep track of your gold. If that's all anyone wants to do before checking out Shakor's place, we'll skip ahead to the evening.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    character sheet updated. let's go on to the house of shakor!

streever on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anwar is fine with waiting.

Also, Anwar asked this: "Maybe it's just me but this doesn't seem like the kind of town where there'd be a lot of cause for concern about that kinda thing. But then I suppose every rose has its thorns and all?"

In that he was indirectly asking about some of the bad wizards and junk around here that he should be interested in earlier but it was never answered.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Shada answers you thusly: "Mostly people mind their own business, and the authorities don't step in unless it affects the city. The right amount of money might make them turn their eyes elsewhere for a while, but not if it was causing a big fuss. But checking on the doings of a wizard whose magic may be somewhat shady but of no actual explicit harm to the city? No, not without good reason. The elf there sees himself as fighting the good fight and bringing dark deeds into the light. But who knows? He might be crazy, or he might be on to something. But no-one will care unless it affects them."

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Next post from me will be about Shakor's place - it may have to wait until tomorrow, however.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just for the records, was that Krebain cash spilt (ie 60GP each) or did Dain hold on to it?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm holding it separately from my actual gold stores--in a txt file :) We can dole it out whenever anyone likes to take their share.

streever on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Cool. It makes more sense to pool it and let people get something decent than split it so much no-one can afford anything. Certainly nobody can complain about getting a front line fighter some basic magic armour!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You spend the afternoon in conversation with the patrons of the bar, browsing idly through nearby stores and generally conserving your strength for the night's activities. You congregate in the bar for dinner and then, thanking Shada for the meal, make your way out of The Griffon's Wing and head towards The Street of Knives. It's a little way from the inn, and as you walk the streets you're aware of the quality of the houses and paving declining. The people on the streets decline in similar fashion, their clothes becoming more threadbare and patched, and their faces more haggard and unkind. Wicked knives hang on many belts, and many eye your fine clothes and expensive weaponry with barely-concealed envy. You are not passing by unnoticed.

You arrive at the entrance to the street. Shakor's house is apparently at the far end, and stands alone. An alley way runs around it, but the front door is the only entrance at street level, the rear one having been bricked up some years previously. You can't tell much without getting closer, but how will you approach the house?

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ahhh good call jam. Well, we doled our gold from last adventure (which is what I spent--and Tasty has 200gp I loant him for something else--I think we all got 583 but I'd have to check) and we can definitely use the money we collect this adventure together!

streever on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Standing at the entrance to the alley, Lucan watches the people go about their business. He is all too aware of the effects their appearance are having on people, and catches a few people staring at them. Returning their gaze with a few glares of his own seem to be enough to encourage them to mind their own business but he has a suspicion that their presence may soon become a little too conspicuous for their incursion into Shakor’s house.

He looks down the alley at the house, examining the buildings around it for any alternative means of entry. The discussion of the demonic orb unnerves him and he shudders instinctively as he cautiously tests the air with his senses for any hostile magic in the area.

"I don't have a good feeling about this," he mumbles to no-one in particular.
    Perception: 1d20+2 12
    Dungeoneering (To Detect New Construction): 1d20+7 9
    Arcana (Detect Magic): 1d20+7 8

*sigh* Its not going well...

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dain looks at the house--and environs--skeptically.

"We can do this two ways, lads. Either I can sneak up and enter the house, then let you lot in openly, or one of you charmers can stand back while we break & enter, explaining to people that we're City Inspectors. You tell me how you want to do it."

streever on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Anwar looks towards the building. Sena slinks out from his person and stealthily runs towards the nearest structure it can climb to get a vantage point on the house from. The combination of floating and climbing resembling some kind of tiny parkour action show. Mirroring its "master's" feelings it does a notably sloppy job at both.

"Let's just kick the gods damned door down," Anwar says, as tendrils of necrotic energy waft from his eyes briefly.
    Sena is in active mode, and moves to try and find a vantage point.

Stealth: (12)
    Perception: (3)

"BY KROM, THERE ARE WIZARDS TO BE KILLED." Anwar the Sorcerous Barbarian says.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Stay here lads, let me have a quick walk by and see if anyone is visibly home. Won't take a minute."

With a slight shimmer Makar's clothes melded themselves to match the majority of passers by, patches appearing on the cloth and all colour fading to base fabrics. Handing his hammer and shield to Dain, he headed off down the road toward the house.
    Bluff + Imposter's Armour Bonus (1d20+5+1=19)

Plan to walk toward house and down alley, sneaking a look in any windows etc as I pass. Then once past the house to pat pockets, look to the heavens and tut quietly in the universal sign of 'Oh shit, left that thing at home' and turn on my heel back to the group.

Let me know if I picked the wrong skill.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dain can't see any apparent dangers from his vantage point at the end of the street, but Makar, heading down it in a rough approximation of someone who isn't going to break into a house, sees that the street has many branches and jigs and jags back and forth, providing many hiding places for less friendly types. When he reaches the house he pauses somewhat theatrically and pats his pockets, glancing long and hard at the house of Shakor as he does so. It's a tall building, and the many windows only start at the first floor. All are curtained with black drapes, and the door of the place looks heavy and strong.

Meanwhile, Sena takes up position across the street from the house, but sees little from the position he finds.

Makar turns and makes as if to go, but he sees several shadows detach themselves from alleys nearby and advance towards him. The rest of the party can see this also, and the determined gait of the figures make it clear they mean business. What will you all do?

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Well hello there gentlemen, can I help you with anything?"
    Do the approaching rotters show any sign of being aware of the rest of the party or just me?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They seem pretty intent on you, at least for the moment.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What skill would you like for me to atempt to divert them with dialogue for as long as possible, hoping my team mates can therefore get the drop on them?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dain draws his axes as he approaches Makar.

"Now now, gentlemen, let's not be uncivil."

streever on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well I was hoping you guys could get a surprise round but not if you announce yourselves...

Remember you're holding my hammer and shield Dain!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The footpads turn as Dain announces himself. They seem a little more unsure of themselves now that they see how many of you there are, but the leader snarls a command, and they draw their weapons.
    Initiative!

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sorry, I wasn't home most of this weekend. Anwar would have attacked them the moment he felt their intentions were less than noble.

With extreme prejudice.

It's almost as good as busting the door down, plus they're probably the wizard's men anyway.

edit: Initiative (10/18/09) - (18).

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oof, I didn't realize you handed your things to me Jam, score -1 for reading comprehension. In that case, my axes wouldn't be drawn, but I stepped forward nonetheless, brandishing Jam's accoutrements. May I throw them to him? how do my turns work on this one?Initiative: 1d20+8 15

streever on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Streever, I'll have some options for you if you want to get to Makar or bung his weapons to him in the first combat post. Should I include the possibility of you throwing the hammer to him and accidentally braining him? Hmmmm.

Bogart on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ambushing ne'er-do-wells is virtually a gnomish pastime; Melf has a target in his sights.

Initiative: 1d20+2 = 22

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    bogart, I would love to "accidentally" brain the poor boy. I mean no of course not don't do that!

streever on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Makar sunk his face into his palm,

"One of these days I'm going to have to have a serious talk with you guys about the noble art of beaning the bad guy in the back of the skull before he knows you're there..."

"Chuck me my weapon Mr. Subtlety!" he called to Dain.
    Init (1d20=2)

Slow Dragon is slow. Again.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lucan merely sighs and heads over to join Makar.

Initative: 1d20+3 15

Anarchy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Apologies for the delay in getting the first combat post up - will be done tonight.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The five robed figures in front of you spread out, keeping you seperated from your dragonborn companion. You catch a glimpse of the faces underneath the black hoods. Duergar!

Two unsling crossbows, one begins an incantation, and the others draw blunt and wicked looking weapons. They smile widely.

State of play:
    All IC rolls should have The Mirrors Of Tizun Thane as the campaign name. Please capitalise the 'Of' bit to ensure all rolls can be seen at a glance on Invisible Castle.

NOTE: If Dain wants to try and bung the warhammer over the heads of the Duergar he can have a go. Make a minor action to lob it over, and then roll a d4-1 and a d8 to determine how many squares it lands away from Makar and in what direction it scatters. The d4-1 is the distance, the d8 is the direction from Makar's square - if it reaches a house it travels no further. Unless you can think of another way of getting the hammer to him?

Initiative order:
    22 - Melf (Hayasa)
    18 - Anwar (tastydonuts)
    15 - Lucan (Anarchy)
    15 - Dain (Streever)
    13 - Duragon (Dac)
    12 - Duergar
    2 - Makar (Jam Warrior)

HP Stats
    Enemy HP
    Duergar Guard 1: 58/58
    Duergar Guard 2: 58/58
    Duergar Scout 1: 48/48
    Duergar Scout 2: 48/48
    Duergar Theurge: 63/63
    Duergar Shock Trooper: 84/84

Party HP
    Makar 39/39 (Jam Warrior)
    Dain 41/41 (Streever)
    Melf 36/36 (Hayasa)
    Duragon 35/35 (Dac)
    Lucan 32/32 (Anarchy)
    Anwar 34/34 (tastydonuts)

Enemy Actions
    None yet

Map:
    town_streets.jpg
    Key:
    G - Duergar Guard
    S - Duergar Scout
    T - Duergar Theurge
    ST - Duergar Shock trooper
    Enemy stats
    Duergar Guard
    AC 20 Fort 17 Ref 15 Will 15

Duergar Scout
    AC 18 Fort 18 Ref 16 Will 16

Duergar Theurge
    AC 19 Fort 16 Ref 16 Will 18

Duergar Shock Trooper
    AC 18 Fort 19 Ref 18 Will 18
    Status List
    Makar is unarmed and has no shield!
    First up: Melf.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yay, as the Duergar go first Makar will still be in (+2) cloth armour with no shield. Massive AC of 13. I'm so boned.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yea. If I got my nuke/surprise I'd have helped you but as it is you're screwed sort of. OH WELL.

I think I spent my AP last fight too for no particular reason, double damning you!

edit: although next time as soon as I read the post and think I'd attack, I'll do an attack so as to avoid any confusion regarding my intentions.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Deftly flicking his hand crossbow up and loading it in a smooth action, Melf turns to the warrior alongside him, and nods at him with a wry look on his face. With an almost fatherly pat on the back (accompanied by the faint and familiar splot of an alchemical aid being applied), he address the dragonborn in kind tones. "Forget what I said earlier about a wall, lad."

Raising his hand crossbow to take a level, well-aimed shot at a smaller fellow in the middle of the bunch, the old gnome now thumps Duragon and roars as loud as a gnome can roar.

"Get your fat, scaly arse in there, son!"

Minor: Restorative Infusion
    Effect: Duragon gains 20 temporary hit points. As a minor action, he can transfer some of these to an ally within 5 squares.

Free: Hand crossbow out (Battle Harness)
    Free: Load hand crossbow

Minor: Icebound Sigil
    Effect: Melf's attacks with his hand crossbow deal +2 cold damage (equal to Con mod). As a free action, he can dismiss the effect when he hits a creature to immobilize them (save ends).

Standard: Repulsion Strike - Int vs Ref - @ um, the S in I8? (16)
    Attack: 1d20+10 = 21 - HIT!
    Damage: 14 force damage, 2 cold damage
    Effect: S in I8 takes -2 penalty to attacks until Melf's EONT

SUMMARY

* Duragon has 20 temporary hit points, which he can flick onto an ally as a minor action.
    * S in I8 takes 14 force damage, 2 cold damage
    * S in I8 gets -2 penalty to attacks until Melf's EONT
    * Until discharged, Melf deals +2 cold damage with his hand crossbow

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A day has passed since the last fight, so everybody has their action points back. I'll note next to your init order who has used theirs.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lucan:
    anarchy, can you fey step to him?

streever on