As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ PROTOTYPE ] - Rainbows and Unicorns on pg. 69.

1484950515254»

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    Archonex wrote: »
    If Mercer seems like a selfish character, it's because
    He is. He's a grade A physcopath with some narcissistic tendencies.

Pay attention to his last lines in the last cinematic. It's not focused on the havoc he's caused, or the lives he's taken. Instead, he takes all that, and tries to make himself look like a victim of the shit he's done to other people, all while glorifying his role in "saving" the city.

Of course, compared to the actual villains in this game, he's a fucking hero.

Maybe he'll start manning up (Literally), and get a bit more compassionate about how he acts in the next game.

Having the living memories of possibly thousands of people kicking around in his head ought to give him a bit of a lesson in humanity. Well, either that, or drive him insane with contempt toward's humanity like it did with Greene. Win win from the player's perspective, I guess.

I hope they explore whether the General was
    Infected or not, next game. The fact that he recognized Cross as being infected is a massive plot hole. I'd be willing to bet that the virus has dug it's claws in in other areas of the country in more subtle ways, if that's the case, given that line of his. It'd explain why Blackwatch got blind-sided by the Blacklight version of the virus, since you'd think they'd plan for contingencies like that.
    Mercer is dead. You play as the actual virus, that just happens to look like Mercer and have his memories. Viruses don't get compassionate. All they do is survive, and fight things that impede on their ability to survive.
    Humanity is not a requirement for compassion, especially considering how he seems (at least seemed) to derive a lot of his personality from Mercer. Then again most of the things he did were in self-defence, it was as kind of the military's fault for focusing too much resources on killing Zeus rather than taking care of the big problem of Elizabeth Green and the infection.

And the missions you did for the agent stood out in particulal as inconsistent. First mission, destroy the Bloodtox emitters even though their range is not really enough to threaten you. Second mission, protect the Bloodtox pump. Third mission, you are becoming immune to Bloodtox but I guess now we are destroying the Bloodtox facility!

Heh inconsistent eh.
    The point of the emitters is that this is the start. If it keeps going, they'll cover the whole city, not just that short range. He's destroying field deployment infrastructure before it gets too big at that point. I'm not sure why you didn't get that since the cutscene spelt that out.

You are protecting the pump so they can dump it in the ground and get greene to come out. This is self evidently obvious and again, it is explained.

The whole bloodtox facility is to finish off the bloodtox once and for all, and the immunity comes into play only for getting to the doctor. At the end of that mission he is "dead", but then the immunity comes into play.

I don't like the story much myself, but so many of it's inconsistencies are people not paying very much attention and then blaming somebody else for that.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh the story sucked balls. The only halfway interesting part was what, precisely, Mercer is. The only emotionally compelling part was his relationship with his sister, and they just left that plot line swinging in the breeze.

Eh, it's not like anyone plays Prototype for the compelling narrative anyway - though I think it was doubly disappointing after they hyped their awesome story and the Web of Intrigue so much.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I basically regarded the story as a vehicle for more one liners. I relished those cheesy insane cutscene enders.
    "He doesn't have a chance"

I did enjoy the overall plot from the perspective that it makes cartoon sense, it just doesn't make novel or even movie sense.

If this shit was in a cheap 80's comic book instead of a game nobody would give it a second glance, they'd just enjoy all the graphical nasties. That's how low my expectations were, which is why I wasn't disappointed. I didn't like it, I didn't dislike it, I laughed at the cheesiness and enjoyed the parts that set up the next smashathon, really got me in the mood for a rampage.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The worst was "I'm not gonna let you kill all of these innocent people"

Alex then immediately sliced an old lady in two with a gigantic claw and devoured her insides to increase his health.

Brolo on
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Even that can make sense in a weird sort of way. If someone else kills everyone, what is he going to do for food/health? They're yours to kill :)

Menasor on
    Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I tried my best to eat zombies and military my first time, so that wasn't out of place to me.

Less Alex is psychotically eating people than Rolo doesn't care about psychotically eating people methinks. :P

I completely stopped caring about that in the later half of the story tho.
    Dammit I wanna play now, time for some mayhem.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Its pretty hard to be picky with the controls. You can try avoid innocents, but its just a manner of time before you do AoE attack or accidentally claw some poor chaps head.

Egos on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I liked a few elements of the story

The bit where that chick hugs Mercer and Mercer is all like "dot dot dot"

And then you find out later that
    he doesn't know how to deal with that because he is a virus

I mean he was an asshole before that for reals, but the whoile being a virus thing didn't help matters

I thought that was a well executed reveal

Also the crazy cutscenes in the web of intrigue with the real life photos and such were well-produced

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm really thankful they didn't end up making Mercer
    the secret son of Elizabeth Green. Since the plot wasn't that special, I was totally expecting this to happen.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    Its pretty hard to be picky with the controls. You can try avoid innocents, but its just a manner of time before you do AoE attack or accidentally claw some poor chaps head.

I wasn't really saying Mercer is innocent, he's a complete psychopath, it's just that this particular example is not the best one since it's the players choice on whom they eat. I was also just joking.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Egos wrote: »

I wasn't really saying Mercer is innocent, he's a complete psychopath, it's just that this particular example is not the best one since it's the players choice on whom they eat. I was also just joking.

Oh I wasn't inferring anything. I was agreeing with you, maybe I should have said the controls aren't very precise.

I was saying its hard to be picky (as in choose who you want to kill) since the game kinda just has you attack whatever is in nearest sight a lot of the times.

It was an odd use of the word. But I didn't mean you were being picky :)

Egos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well if we want to be technical one of my favourite activities is to use the hammertoss as a travelling device/ indiscriminate weapon. :P

Nothing like tearing up an intersection full of marines with tiny taps of the special button and alex is flying all over the place.

Morninglord on