As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: contains unmarked spoilers

• Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, you can tell the guy who is bullet proof, missile proof, and jumps over buildings that he's a psychopath, I'll just wait over here.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Okay, you can tell the guy who is bullet proof, missile proof, and jumps over buildings that he's a psychopath, I'll just wait over here.

In six months!

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's okay you can just run and hide in THE MYTHICAL CITY ON THE HILL.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    dexodexo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can confirm just homicide is enough to save Jock - I did that in my speedrun for no reason other than style.

dexo on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmm. I hope you're not... Get the hell out Denton!

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Yesterday I dealt with the Levedev situation by planting a LAM on the door leading to his bedroom.

Ahahaha fuck you Anna Navarre.

Does this really work? Because that drove me nuts.

I'm at Hell's Kitchen again now, and the infamous 'what a shame' scene.

He never said it. :(

There's so many possible ways to make this hilarious. I might try and record one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Yesterday I dealt with the Levedev situation by planting a LAM on the door leading to his bedroom.

There's a set of locked doors leading to Lebedev. Open them and plant the LAM on one of them. She'll spawn in once you talk to Lebedev and run to him, triggering the LAM. I tried it at the very entrance to the plane but she doesn't spawn there. She has to pass that door however. And if you stand in the right spot, you might be able to watch!

I tried shooting her to death, but on Realistic she ices Lebedev before I can kill her.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

There's a set of locked doors leading to Lebedev. Open them and plant the LAM on one of them. She'll spawn in once you talk to Lebedev and run to him, triggering the LAM. I tried it at the very entrance to the plane but she doesn't spawn there. She has to pass that door however. And if you stand in the right spot, you might be able to watch!

I tried shooting her to death, but on Realistic she ices Lebedev before I can kill her.

So then he survives, or is that impossible?

On Normal, she shot me dead the moment I so much as looked at her funny.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yep, you can kill her and have Lebedev survive.

Or just kill them both, why not.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Did we just blow your mind?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can KILL EVERYONE EVERYWHERE EVERY TIME too.

I think.

In six months.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can KILL EVERYONE EVERYWHERE EVERY TIME too.

I think.

In six months.

No, some are invincible. Some are only invincible some of the time.

Also, interesting Shifter fact, they added a unique baton that if you hit them in a weak point will seemingly knock any non-commando or non-MIB human out with one shot. The easiest way to get it is to not kill loads of guys in the statue, which makes Paul happy, and then he leaves it in his hotel room for you. There's other ways to get it though.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Did we just blow your mind?

Lebedev dies unless you tranq him and carry him around with you. Otherwise, UNATCO will execute him even if you ice Navarre.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I believe that is the precise method of alerting Jock to the bomb situation, you can hit the impostor with whatever you want to, but IIRC until you confirm with Everett that the guy actually is an impostor, you can't ask Jock to check the chopper.

Nope, you can either kill him to make Jock check, or leave him alive but check with Everett.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmm. I hope you're not... Get the hell out Denton!

I managed to find this line in the game proper - it's easy to miss. After you get back from the NSF warehouse, Simmons shows up to interrogate the prisoners on level 3 of UNATCO (No, Savage). You can follow him down there after your meeting with Manderly and watch. He'll stop talking a few times - just strafe back and forth a bit, eventually he'll tell you to get the hell out. If you stick around longer, you can see him pull out an AR and blow away both the prisoners.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you follow him down there before the meeting, you can slip inside the door when it opens to allow Simons in, and kill the prisoners yourself. I don't remember exactly what he says but the game planned for that too.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What triggers the 'what a shame' line? Because Denton didn't have a dialogue with her in my game after her father died, she just mentioned it in passing.

Also, you can give her father a knife and she'll still say 'you shot him!'.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It only happens if JC kills Renton.

Because JC a dick.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, I love JC's voice actor, the haters are crazy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A BOMB

august on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What a shame.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Old men

Ruling the world.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    If you follow him down there before the meeting, you can slip inside the door when it opens to allow Simons in, and kill the prisoners yourself. I don't remember exactly what he says but the game planned for that too.

Ok I just did the segment.

You can interrogate the other prisoner that Simons isn't talking to yourself, there's quite a lengthy dialogue.

Periodically Simons will tell you to get out, then if you kill the prisoners before he does, he says "Jesus Christ Denton!"

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ORANGEposter.jpg

I don't remember where I got the original image.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Laputan Machine

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So apparently if you let JoJo live and the family die
    He's friends with Paul and won't let UNATCO get him?

Bear in mind that could happen anyway for all I know.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's a good question, I never thought about that. Has anyone let JoJo live after he killed the family?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm willing to test it out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I mean, there are plenty of times where someone goes hostile to you and it seems like you're expected to kill them, but you don't have to.

See: Anna Navarre in the Hell's Kitchen subway after the NSF distress signal mission. She goes hostile, but you can just run past her and die to Gunther if you want, and she shows up later.

Related question: In DX, there are multiple opportunities to kill Anna Navarre. The airfield, Hell's Kitchen subway, and UNATCO HQ after breaking out.

Is there multiple opportunities to kill Gunther too? Or is it just that one spot in Paris?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gunther is invincible until your scripted confrontation with him

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but a collective of PC Gamer editors voted Deus Ex as #1 on the 100 Best Games of All Time list.

http://www.pcgamertop100.com/editorial/10-1/

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone who doesn't agree either hasn't played Deus Ex or is weird or something.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

wel yeah, but my point is that Anna Navarre has multiple scripted confrontations here you have an opportunity to kill her whereas Gunther had only one and that struck me as odd.

Also, that PC Gamer feature, wasn't that a while ago?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    System Shock 2 is more better

There I said it

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Deus Ex stood the test of time.

SS2 did not.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

wel yeah, but my point is that Anna Navarre has multiple scripted confrontations here you have an opportunity to kill her whereas Gunther had only one and that struck me as odd.

Also, that PC Gamer feature, wasn't that a while ago?

Yeah, but I just heard of it now through a podcast.

Also, while Anna Navarre is sort of a catalyst to you defecting from UNATCO, the narrative allows for her to die at various points (or be left alone). Gunther's role is different - he's the omnipresent menace that keeps one step behind you at all times, but he's also a pretty tragic figure. A shambling metal mockery of a man who has nothing left but his rage and desire for vengeance, spurred on partially by his partner's death, partially by the machinations of his superiors, but mostly by his self-loathing and jealousy towards JC for having such a comparatively easy ride.

A lot of that would have been lost if they had let you off him at, say, the vending machine phase.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Deus Ex stood the test of time.

SS2 did not.

I disagree

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I'm at Hell's Kitchen again now, and the infamous 'what a shame' scene.

He never said it. :(

There's so many possible ways to make this hilarious. I might try and record one.

Yes it works. Alex is all like "WTF JC I NO SHE WUS OUT OF LINE BUT YOU KLLD HR!!!" It's really funny.

That was my solution this playthrough.

Rucio on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I tranquilized Lebedev.

Everyone acted as if I'd killed him. That was amusing.

Dhalphir on
This discussion has been closed.