As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In Soviet Russia bear eat strawberry, sensually

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Cases

Jewel Staite was on this old nick show.

And she is like the best celebrity ever because of it.

Aww no way! Was she the cute girl with the scream power?

If nothing else, at least I know I'm consistent with my childhood crushes.

The fact that someone else remembers this show is a miracle.

I thought it was a long shot just posting that link here.

You and me Krunk.

You and me.

Harlan Band, leaps before he looks
    Susie's smarter then a million books.

Look man, I've watched me some Space Cases.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sheri wrote: »
    I don't get the whole spy thing.

What exactly are they telling the motherland about the US that's so damn important?

A couple of people have asked this question. Basically, it boils down to Russia wanting people in the US in case they ever needed them.
    "They were here under deep cover, as a network in case Russian intelligence ever needed anything," said one law enforcement official, who like others quoted in this report spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing. "The idea was that they would become so Americanized that no one can ever find any connection between them and Russia."

I guess I just don't get what the big deal is.

Part of it was also they were trying to get people into policy-making circles such that they could influence US policy (though mostly foreign than domestic). There was also talk that some were infilitrating the CIA to an extent where they had influence over applicants, i.e. down the road open the door for more spies and such to enter the CIA employment easily.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Cases

Jewel Staite was on this old nick show.

And she is like the best celebrity ever because of it.

Aww no way! Was she the cute girl with the scream power?

If nothing else, at least I know I'm consistent with my childhood crushes.

The fact that someone else remembers this show is a miracle.

I thought it was a long shot just posting that link here.

You and me Krunk.

You and me.

Harlan Band, leaps before he looks
    Susie's smarter then a million books.

Look man, I've watched me some Space Cases.

Commander Goddard does not go by the book, in case anyone was wondering

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

What exactly are they telling the motherland about the US that's so damn important?

A couple of people have asked this question. Basically, it boils down to Russia wanting people in the US in case they ever needed them.
    "They were here under deep cover, as a network in case Russian intelligence ever needed anything," said one law enforcement official, who like others quoted in this report spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing. "The idea was that they would become so Americanized that no one can ever find any connection between them and Russia."

Well, if ever they became active, it's a big deal.

Or maybe one (or more) of them were active, but either that information hasn't been released by the FBI, or the media isn't reporting it yet.

I guess?

I dunno, I don't see how a stay-at-home mom is really going to find out any important political info.

Look at it this way:

It's like leaving your door unlocked in a bad neighborhood. Maybe you haven't been harmed yet, but eventually someone is going to do something that will make you think "Hrm. Maybe I should have locked my door."

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Well, if ever they became active, it's a big deal.

Or maybe one (or more) of them were active, but either that information hasn't been released by the FBI, or the media isn't reporting it yet.

I guess?

I dunno, I don't see how a stay-at-home mom is really going to find out any important political info.

Look at it this way:

It's like leaving your door unlocked in a bad neighborhood. Maybe you haven't been harmed yet, but eventually someone is going to do something that will make you think "Hrm. Maybe I should have locked my door."

Also, it's not about finding one big piece of information - it's about finding hundreds or thousands of itty bitty fragmented pieces that are completely unimportant on their own, then assembling them in a meaningful way.

So maybe housewife's next door neighbor is an admin assistant for a congressman, eventually through chatting with him or his wife she'll get a few tidbits and pass those on. Coupled with the tidbits from other people, that may build into something important.

Usagi on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd say it's more like holding random house parties. Eventually some of your stuff will get stolen/broken, and fuck you know who did it. (it was the Russians)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Cliches aside, there are so many things a handler/contact-person/middleman can do to help other assets in their network. Details probably won't be forthcoming until after the investigation.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    while i was reading this

the trailer for Salt aired on TV

i couldn't help but laugh

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    I'd say it's more like holding random house parties. Eventually some of your stuff will get stolen/broken, and fuck you know who did it. (it was the Russians)

I think it's more like playing Baseball with your friends in an empty lot. Eventually, one of you is going to hit the ball into the neighbor's yard, and their bigass dog will eat it in one bite, then you have to send the fat kid to get it, but then, later, he throws up on a carnival ride because everyone tried some dip. And, well. You know.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bogey wrote: »
    Cliches aside, there are so many things a handler/contact-person/middleman can do to help other assets in their network. Details probably won't be forthcoming until after the investigation.

If ever, actually.

Things like this have a standard "we're not telling the public" shelf life of 30-ish years.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

I think it's more like playing Baseball with your friends in an empty lot. Eventually, one of you is going to hit the ball into the neighbor's yard, and their bigass dog will eat it in one bite, then you have to send the fat kid to get it, but then, later, he throws up on a carnival ride because everyone tried some dip. And, well. You know.

James Earl Jones played a russian spy in that movie?

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's more like you and your three friends going to Las Vegas for your buddy's bachelor party and right before you go out you get slipped some roofies by your friend and then you wake up and try to find your buddy who is getting married in 48 hours and you run around Vegas and you get shot and you find out you married a hooker and Mike Tyson shows up and whoa, Ken Jeong has a small penis

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I think the FBI knew about these people for some time, but were waiting for some information about the 11th guy that they arrested off-shores. Then, when they had him, they moved in on everyone.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »

James Earl Jones played a russian spy in that movie?

James Earl Jones would be the most frightening Russian spy IRL.

Standing in a shadow ally, in a trench coat, calmly smoking a cigarette. Just letting the smoke waft from his mouth. Then he looks at you, and says "Nyet" in that voice.

I don't know if I'm getting a boner or shitting myself right now.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know if I'm getting a boner or shitting myself right now.

Those are not mutually exclusive...

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    He totally sold our baseball technology to the russians.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That mother fucker

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There goes our world lead in Zamboni technology. We must transfer our ice-surfacing technology to a triad of defense systems; the destruction of one leaves us with the ability to launch a counter-attack.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also I'd like to point out that most russian spies these days are looking for industrial espionage, not like state secrets. So these dudes get jobs and then funnel information to Russia.

Langly on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love that the couple that still had really thick Russian accents were the ones in New Jersey. Like, the bottom of the graduating spy class gets sent to Jersey because really, there's nothing going on out there to fuck up.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This whole thing is completely boss, by the way.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's boss, but it could be bosser. No one gets stabbed with poison umbrellas anymore.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hobnail wrote: »
    It's boss, but it could be bosser. No one gets stabbed with poison umbrellas anymore.

I mean, it sucks that guy got killed, but that removed from the situation that was a pretty cool way to murder someone. Stick them with a tiny irradiated pebble and just walk away.

Langly on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, that Kaylee chick registered a cell phone to "99 Fake St." No wonder these idiots were caught. Not enough paranoia. There's a non-zero chance of someone seeing that address, and there's 0 effort in making a semi-believable address.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Man, that Kaylee chick registered a cell phone to "99 Fake St." No wonder these idiots were caught. Not enough paranoia. There's a non-zero chance of someone seeing that address, and there's 0 effort in making a semi-believable address.

She should have used 1060 West Addison

Hunter on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hunter wrote: »

love you
    so much

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hunter wrote: »

13zn536.jpg

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I love that the couple that still had really thick Russian accents were the ones in New Jersey. Like, the bottom of the graduating spy class gets sent to Jersey because really, there's nothing going on out there to fuck up.

This is only vaguely vaguely related, but Fresh Air a week or so ago did a piece on an Iranian journalist named Maziar Bahari who was imprisoned for like six months in Iran for no reason

And one of the things he talks about is that his interrogator/torturer was inexplicably obsessed with New Jersey as this wonderful place to be

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What was in the case, anyways?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They had to be arrested, couldn't let those fuckers close the mineshaft gap we have going for us.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    WE MUST NOT HAVE A MINESHAFT GAP!

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

This is only vaguely vaguely related, but Fresh Air a week or so ago did a piece on an Iranian journalist named Maziar Bahari who was imprisoned for like six months in Iran for no reason

And one of the things he talks about is that his interrogator/torturer was inexplicably obsessed with New Jersey as this wonderful place to be

I read the article he did for newsweek or maclean's or whatever. pretty fucked up

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What color is the boathouse at Hereford?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    huttahuttaha.jpg

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    How the fuck should I know?

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No questions. No answers.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »
    No questions. No answers.

Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Where do I know you from?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Where do I know you from?

Vienna.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    of course

Langly on