Options

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Noir Spider-Man holy shit!)

• Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been having a blast with it. I only had one glitch wherein I tried to takedown a guy in Noir, the camera zoomed in but he just stood there and the camera would not switch back to me. I have a feeling No Alarms is going to piss me off too.

I agree with Jay. It has come out in the middle of the Reach hype train for one thing. I hope more people do give it a go though. It is worthy of attention.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I've grabbed me a copy of this and so far I'm enjoying it. The wall-crawling controls can be awkward, but other than that, this seems like a solid game.

I've just completed Act 1 and my favourite level so far is the Noir one, hands down. I just loved the way it looked and played. It's great fun sneaking around in the shadows and then taking down an unsuspecting mook when his back is turned.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Had a free rental, so I rented this on a whim last night. I'm pleasantly surprised. I finished the first Act, and I love how each level feels like one giant set piece (2099 was a stand out). If it wasn't for all the niggling camera or wall crawling issues this would be right up there with something like Arkham.

But for any one thing that it gets wrong it seems to get two other things right in terms of the presentation and general treatment of the property. Can't wait to play some more tonight.

How ironic that Josh Keaton is doing the voice of Ultimate when the Spectacular show was recently canned in favour of a new Ultimate series.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I picked up the DS version because I loved Web of Shadows. It's still good, but man... short. I picked it up on the way to work, played it mainly during breaks and was over halfway done with it by the time I got home.

Though I've seemingly managed to miss a good quarter of the pickups.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been playing the DS version in short spurts over the last couple of days, and it is great! True, it is short, as I'm in the same boat of nearly done and hunting the upgrades.

Very Metroidy, and I'd love to see someone do one of those silly speed runs like you see for Super Metroid (finishing in less than an hour for God's sake?). But yeah, Spidey being so agile and all :)

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I picked this up on a whim today at Target since it was only $50 there

This better be awesome

Or else I'll have spent $50 poorly

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MegaDoomerMegaDoomer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the problem is most people keep trying to compare this game with past Spider-man games.

Guys, this game is GREAT!. the lack of free-roaming actually makes this game better.

MegaDoomer on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm going through the tutorial right now, and swinging is weird as fuck and I don't think I like it

Also, the game doesn't seem to know what it's telling me

When I'm swinging it says "Hold A at anytime for a speed boost"

Then it also says "Hold A at anytime for web jump"

Neither one seems to actually occur by holding A.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MegaDoomerMegaDoomer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm going through the tutorial right now, and swinging is weird as fuck and I don't think I like it

thankfully webswinging is hardly used.

hold A while swinging for the boost.

when standing on ground jump and hold A for the web jump.

MegaDoomer on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    MegaDoomer wrote: »

Never thought I'd say this about a Spider-Man game, but thank God

The combat is really fun! And I really like the defined visual styles of each universe!

The voice actor for 2099 sounds like a douche but that's okay because I've never really liked 2099!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MegaDoomer wrote: »

Never thought I'd say this about a Spider-Man game, but thank God

The combat is really fun! And I really like the defined visual styles of each universe!

The voice actor for 2099 sounds like a douche but that's okay because I've never really liked 2099!

The voice actor for 2099 voiced Spider-man in Spider-man and His Amazing Friends in the 80's.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I know, I just never saw that show so it doesn't really hold any affection for me

Josh Keaton is the best because Spectacular Spider-Man was the best

NPH is also awesome

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Neil Patrick Harris just said "That's So Kraven!"

This was a well-spent $50

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So uh...

eeeeeh.png

Is the best version of Spider-Man in this game anywhere?

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ultimate?

Yes.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Did the PC version of this get canceled?

That's what I want to know, haven't seen it anywhere.
    I just finished up Batman on PC and wouldn't mind some more hero action. And I'd rather get this on pc than on Wii.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, I notice something trend-wise about forum post counts in this forum. Moral choice, mod heavy, or multiplayer games get a LOT more chatter going on than just about ANYTHING else, with simpler action games getting the least, as a type. So judging by post count is pretty much maximum e-peen ridiculousness, and utterly WRONG as far as how you can judge a game's goodness.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is one hell of a fun game and I am sad I have to take it back.

Noir Spider-Man's universe is really cool and I like what they did with the Vulture.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm definitely going to play this game. Just doesn't seem like a $60 purchase.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shattered Dimensions 2

Spider-Girl
    Scarlet Spider
    Mutant X Spider-Man
    New Fantastic Four Spider-Man
    Shattered Dimensions 3 would just be all his 'Slingers' alternate identities.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So this game doesn't come out in Australia until the end of the month. *sigh*

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Shattered Dimensions 2

Spider-Girl
    Scarlet Spider
    Mutant X Spider-Man
    New Fantastic Four Spider-Man
    Shattered Dimensions 3 would just be all his 'Slingers' alternate identities.

Stan Lee in a spiderman costume.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would love a Marvel Ultimate Alliance game where Stan Lee voices EVERYONE.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm on the fence on this one. Noir is kind of lame.. its like a poor man's Arkham.

The other dimensions are pretty cool, but the camera and "auto targeting" are pretty horrible. Also I've had the game lock up three times and twice in the ultimate dimension, I activated rage mode and got locked doing the moon walk in a corner and couldn't move at all. Also the game fails to register button presses sometimes messing up combos... but that may be my controller

Bonus costumes (Bag-Man :^:) and challenges add some re-play value so I don't feel like I've wasted money. Hopefully there may be some kind of sequel that fixes those issues.

Edit: The first person parts make me want a Mirror's Edge style Spider-Man game though.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm definitely going to play this game. Just doesn't seem like a $60 purchase.

Yeah, it's a really solid rental. Fun as hell, but I can't see myself coming back to it once I'm done.

The other good news is that this game has spiked my urge to watch Spectacular. I've only seen a few episodes here and there but I liked what I saw. Guess I'll go find Season 1.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Joril wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    Did the PC version of this get canceled?

That's what I want to know, haven't seen it anywhere.
    I just finished up Batman on PC and wouldn't mind some more hero action. And I'd rather get this on pc than on Wii.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/13/does-some-of-what-a-spider-can-pc-spidey/

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The medal system is a cool idea to encourage more playthroughs of each level, but I'm surprised they didn't include some kind of leaderboard for the various level scores.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Bannon9kBannon9k Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So does anyone else find the Ultimate universe so much more thrilling that the others?

Spoilered cause of late game level disclosure
    Basically, ultimate just seems so much more... amazing =P. The scene where you're jumping across the tanker as it tips over in the title wave, or where you're out running the helicarrier as it comes crashing down... Maybe its just me, but I'm enjoying it so much more. Especially the whole carnage level, that is so much fun. I'm on the last level and haven't beaten it yet, but if you get a choice on who you play at the end... I'm taking ultimate.

Bannon9k on
    0d818a65ebcd82b7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I liked the Noir levels the most, but I loved that same mechanic in Batman: AA. The other dimensions were all enjoyable though, in fact the one I liked the least was probably Amazing simply because it seemed "plain" compared to the abilities Ultimate and 2099 get and the atmosphere used in Noir.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I picked this up last Friday. Is there some kind of support group for habitually buying new video games?

"Hi, I'm Mego, and I'm a video-gameaholic."

"Hi Mego!"

I place the blame squarely on you, Penny Arcade Forums. Anyways, after spending some time with it over the weekend, I've gotten through two of the Amazing chapters, and one of each of the others. Even though I still think Spidey is better suited (Ha!) for an open-world sandbox like Web of Shadows, which I thought was awesome, this is still a pretty good game. So far my favorite has been Ultimate, but I've always liked the black-suit Spider-Man best. Since Josh Keaton is the VA for those chapters, they should have done those fully cel-shaded and emulated the look of Spectacular Spider-Man . While I dig the retro ganster vibe it gives off, Noir is my least favorite. "Stealth" isn't usually a term I associate with Spider-Man.

They sure did miss the boat with the two things most associated with Spidey; wall-crawling and web-slinging. The wall-crawling is flat-out terrible. You say you'd like to stick to a wall and crawl somewhere? Good luck with the camera spinning around like it was caught in one of Sandman's cyclones. The web-slinging isn't bad, but there are so many places where the game won't let you do it, I literally forgot about it. One portion of the game requires it, and I died several times before I realized "Hey, I can web-sling!" Zip-lining works fine though, and that's good, because that's how you're going to be getting around 90% of the time.

Despite the complaints it's been getting, I really like the first-person segments. The expression on Kraven's face as you're beating the crap out of him is worth the price of admission alone! A game can never be wrong by including the Bombastic Bag-Man. Bring on the Spider-Ham DLC. I knew that was Biff Tannen as Electro! I kept waiting on him to tell me to "Make like a tree and get out of here!"

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    So I picked this up last Friday. Is there some kind of support group for habitually buying new video games?

"Hi, I'm Mego, and I'm a video-gameaholic."

"Hi Mego!"

I place the blame squarely on you, Penny Arcade Forums. Anyways, after spending some time with it over the weekend, I've gotten through two of the Amazing chapters, and one of each of the others. Even though I still think Spidey is better suited (Ha!) for an open-world sandbox like Web of Shadows, which I thought was awesome, this is still a pretty good game. So far my favorite has been Ultimate, but I've always liked the black-suit Spider-Man best. Since Josh Keaton is the VA for those chapters, they should have done those fully cel-shaded and emulated the look of Spectacular Spider-Man . While I dig the retro ganster vibe it gives off, Noir is my least favorite. "Stealth" isn't usually a term I associate with Spider-Man.

They sure did miss the boat with the two things most associated with Spidey; wall-crawling and web-slinging. The wall-crawling is flat-out terrible. You say you'd like to stick to a wall and crawl somewhere? Good luck with the camera spinning around like it was caught in one of Sandman's cyclones. The web-slinging isn't bad, but there are so many places where the game won't let you do it, I literally forgot about it. One portion of the game requires it, and I died several times before I realized "Hey, I can web-sling!" Zip-lining works fine though, and that's good, because that's how you're going to be getting around 90% of the time.

Despite the complaints it's been getting, I really like the first-person segments. The expression on Kraven's face as you're beating the crap out of him is worth the price of admission alone! A game can never be wrong by including the Bombastic Bag-Man. Bring on the Spider-Ham DLC. I knew that was Biff Tannen as Electro! I kept waiting on him to tell me to "Make like a tree and get out of here!"

Are you... are you me?

Are you inside my brain?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I just finished it and it has to be said that I'm satisfied that my money was well spent. Sure, there are a few niggles, but all in all, this is one of the better superhero games I've played. I can see myself coming back to this one every so often to play the odd level here and there.

All that remains now is to see whether it gets lost and forgotten in the maelstrom that will be Halo: Reach.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DODGE SANDMAN'S ATTACKS !@#$*^*!@#$

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I've really enjoyed this game. Sure, there's the occasional bug (getting locked in rooms, webslinging sometimes not working when it should, etc), but, as a whole, it's great. Ultimate and Noir are the standouts for me. Noir for the atmosphere and super cool costume and Ultimate for the humour (try pausing for awhile on the Deadpool level) and sheer power of rage mode.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seeing as I was one of the, seemingly few, people that immensely enjoyed Web Of Shadows I wasn't too hesitant to pick up a new Spider-man game. Apparently my love for all things spidey overshadows all kinds of glitches and repetitive gameplay.

And as much as I enjoy my open world spidey games, of which there are already plenty, I'm really enjoying the more enclosed gameplay of Shattered Dimensions at least as much. The web of destiny is a nice replacement for repetitive and often boring open world sidequests and the distinctive setpieces are a nice change from the umpteenth version of New York. I also love that this game is so full of fan-service, from the voice acting to the costumes and the dimensions themselves (2099 woo!).

What I can't understand is that they managed to execute the wall crawling so badly. It only ever works if you move along the walls at a snails pace and the camera seems to have no idea where to position itself.
    Transitions between walls or from a wall to a ledge or the ground are terrible. WoS did this, as well as web swinging so much better.

In most dimensions it doesn't really matter, since I usually don't web crawl anywhere, but in Noir it's really grating. I'm currently stuck on the Noir dimension playing
    the Goblin level
    on hard.
    Anybody have any tips for
    the part with the fireworks, specifically the guys in the back of the level. I get spotted constantly and just get shot to pieces in seconds
    ?

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    See, what bugs me is that at no point does any game quite "get" the wallcrawling, except, MAYBE, for Web Of Shadows. Spidey isnt supposed to be ANY slower on the wall than he is on the ground or in the air, but the best any game can seem to come up with is he goes still the instant he gets sticky, and then you have to initiate a seperate sprint. I sort of just wound up permanently holding the zoom button in WoS, it works out well enough.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Actually, although the rest of the game was a complete joke, the PC version of Spider-Man 2 did wall-crawling right. The latch-on was quick, the crawling was fast, and the third person camera would orient itself behind Spider-Man no matter which way he was crawling instead of trying to always give some indication of which way it was up. Tying the third person cam to whatever wall the was on was confusing at first but it definitely seems to be the best way to do it.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    PhoneBone:
    You almost always need to work from the top down, so take out higher enemies first. As long as you are standing in the shadows and the guy you takedown isn't in view of another, you won't be seen even if you're pretty close to other enemies.

For a couple of them, you have to wait until the enemies posted high in the area turn around, then quickly Web Zip up and do a takedown. From there you can usually dismantle the rest from above. If you do get seen, you usually have time to web sling away and run, or at least I did on Hard.

A few of the bosses were really damn annoying on Hard. If anyone has trouble with the parts where you protect scientists/civilians, doing the airborne Y stomp (it's a purchase upgrade but pretty cheap) stuns all enemies in a pretty wide area and can buy a lot of time.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    See, what bugs me is that at no point does any game quite "get" the wallcrawling, except, MAYBE, for Web Of Shadows. Spidey isnt supposed to be ANY slower on the wall than he is on the ground or in the air, but the best any game can seem to come up with is he goes still the instant he gets sticky, and then you have to initiate a seperate sprint. I sort of just wound up permanently holding the zoom button in WoS, it works out well enough.

I dunno man, i'd chalk that up to common sense on the developer's part.

You cannot crawl faster than you can run. I don't see how high-speed crawling could work without looking completely retarded.

Godfather on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Teyar wrote: »

I dunno man, i'd chalk that up to common sense on the developer's part.

You cannot crawl faster than you can run. I don't see how high-speed crawling could work without looking completely retarded.

In Spider-Man 2, they had him literally doing a full sprint with only his feet touching the wall. If you did it out of a web swing, it looked double awesome.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf