As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - "Return to form for a beloved series" Eurogamer 9/10

1575859606163»

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If it illustrates anything it's that he stops when you stop holding forward. I did like the round candy and the slope, though.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Meh either way Sega will never win. If the video illustrates anything, its that the new sonic is more responsive. If they made it like the old ones everyone would say its too floaty.
    No, two people would say it's too floaty and everyone else would shout them down for being so wrong.

It would be extremely obvious that the game played just like it used to.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blueblue wrote:
    I am figuring that this is sonic team starting all the way over with sonic 1 - sonic only, kind of awkward to control.

Let me know when sonic 6 + knuckles comes out because I have a feeling it's going to be totally awesome.

Long as it don't got no guide-dang-it candy drum. D:

naengwen on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm just wondering why they changed the physics. I don't want to get into the whole "WELL IT SHOULD/SHOULD NOT BE EXACTLY LIKE THE OLD GAMES GFRAW". but it seems like a weird decision as a whole, especially since the game does stick very close to classic Sonic. Was it deliberate, or just a case of inattention?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    naengwen wrote: »
    Blueblue wrote:
    I am figuring that this is sonic team starting all the way over with sonic 1 - sonic only, kind of awkward to control.

Let me know when sonic 6 + knuckles comes out because I have a feeling it's going to be totally awesome.

By the time Sonic 6 comes out we will have such a plethora of control options at our disposal that no one will ever make it past the new drums (IN REAL3D)

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Again, even if this wasn't a fucking Sonic game, the physics are still pretty bad and unintuitive.

And in a platformer, physics are very fucking important.

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    naengwen wrote: »
    Blueblue wrote:

By the time Sonic 6 comes out we will have such a plethora of control options at our disposal that no one will ever make it past the new drums (IN REAL3D)

At which point, someone will post a thread telling people how they must "SHAKE YOUR BRAIN UP AND DOWN!" to get past it.

Also, I find it funny how that speedrunner got a much better start than my fastest time (nearly 1 second ahead by the first booster), only to get slowed down on the springs, activate Super Sonic later (and the more time you spend Super, the more time you can cut), and end up being over a second behind by the final tunnel.

...Aaaaand I'm getting entirely too competitive. I think I need to play something else now, before I end up spending 5 hours trying to shave just 1/100th of a second off my time. :)

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    I'd be down for a wild west level in a Sonic game.

This kind of almost happened.

Mag_compare3a.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    I'd be down for a wild west level in a Sonic game.

This kind of almost happened.

Mag_compare3a.jpg

That website is a Sonic fan's TV Tropes.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can't attack the points, so you attack the person making them, right?

Yeah, that dude is a Grade-A Toolbox, but everything he says is true.

I can attack the points.

What is clearly a part of the game is that there is (for whatever reason) a sort of auto brake system when you let go of a direction. Its really obvious when he lets go while going down a hill at full speed. He doesn't lose momentum, sonic HARD STOPS as if breaking. Thats not bad physics, thats intentional gameplay. Yes, it doesnt mimic a ball rolling down a real hill like the old sonic games did, but the point that its bad programming or some such is not illustrated well in most of his ranting.

That being said, I have to say the physics in the old games felt better, thats true. But that doesn't mean Sonic 4 is bad. Its different, and people might not like whats different about it, but its not bad. In fact, I have to say I felt it had the best level design since Sonic 3. Thats worth something.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kai_San wrote: »
    That being said, I have to say the physics in the old games felt better, thats true. But that doesn't mean Sonic 4 is bad. Its different, and people might not like whats different about it, but its not bad.

I don't buy this. I've heard this so many times in other situations, and I know it's a reflection of your own opinion, but it's just not valid.

Saying "it's...different, but it's not bad" is like saying "I'm not a racist, but." It's different, and bad.
    In fact, I have to say I felt it had the best level design since Sonic 3. Thats worth something.

Now that does seem pretty clear. I don't know how to articulate the difference between something like Rush and this game, but it just feels more like how a Sonic level should be designed. Lots more solid ground; the Advance and Rush designs focused on grinding and other odd gimmicks that made the whole game feel sort of precarious, but Sonic 4's levels just feel the way they should. Maybe it's the size of the characters vs. the level around them, I don't know, but the level design is pretty good stuff.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I may have found a way to buy myself a cheap LCD, so hopefully I'll be joining you guys in the Sonic 4 debate soon enough. In the meantime, I burnt through all of the game gear Sonic games, including the bastard-hard Sonic 2 that took me a good 2 hours to beat even with constant save states.

That said, I highly recommend Sonic Triple Trouble to anyone jonesing for some classic 2d Sonic action. The rocket boots alone really ought to make it into another Sonic game...

Oh, and it's got a ridiculously cool twist on the old underwater levels. This go-round, Sonic can get trapped inside and then travel in the air bubbles, navigating it around spikes and enemies.

I'm also dipping my toes into the fan-made Sonic material, but most of them are fairly awful and uninspired.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If you want something truly reprehensible, look up Sonic Epoch. I see some of it's on Youtube.

I don't remember why I played it. Some guy somewhere was touting it as the greatest Sonic fan game ever, set in the TV show continuity with Sally and such. Such a labor of love!

Except it involves Sonic disappearing for years resulting in Sally trying to commit suicide with a gun in her mouth and Tails growing up to be an asshole who swears a lot.

EDIT: Watching this, there is at least one situation in which Tails calls Sonic a "fuckhog."

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    InexactQuotientInexactQuotient Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    He doesn't show how it's a bad game
    ...Broken physics?

Not broken, different.

InexactQuotient on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    He doesn't show how it's a bad game
    ...Broken physics?

Not broken, different.

I would call the ability to walk in place on a vertical surface broken

that said, I think the physics are fine for when you're actually playing the game and not trying to break it, which is unfortunately way easier than it should be

Speed Racer on
This discussion has been closed.