Options

George Foreman [CHAT]ing

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    passer you're charging people right?

like hundreds of dollars per cocktopus

those things don't grow on trees

Not hundreds, but yes. These are big enough that they take real time and I can't make them from scraps, so I'm charging for time/materials/shipping.

:shock:

I want one!

But I want a little one, in some shade of dark blue.

Check the PM I sent you. :)

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Not hundreds, but yes. These are big enough that they take real time and I can't make them from scraps, so I'm charging for time/materials/shipping.

I will want one when you have time but I know you're inundated right now.

I would also hate to think that they get so popular that you stop having fun making them.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    "Shock" can't kill you, it's simply a set of symptoms that when combined indicate that "shit's real bad and this person needs your attention right fucking now".

Shock always has an underlying cause which is what's actually killing you.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Are you ever prepared for grevious bodily harm?

Yes.

That's not the set-up I was looking for.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "Shock" can't kill you, it's simply a set of symptoms that when combined indicate that "shit's real bad and this person needs your attention right fucking now".

Shock always has an underlying cause which is what's actually killing you.

Daxon on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

:shock:

I want one!

But I want a little one, in some shade of dark blue.

Check the PM I sent you. :)

I am now currently waiting impatiently for said PM to arrive.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Death is the number one cause of itself in the world.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Then I rescind my statements because I clearly don't really know anything about shock.

But the second part about your neurochemical state being very different is totally true, I'm not sure exactly how that would factor into things, though.

It's.. not really true. Mostly in that the concept of a "neurochemical state" doesn't really exist. Chemically things do change in your brain during stress and whatnot but it's a far too complex thing to be simplified as a "state".

I wasn't implying that you have preset states at all, I was saying that the neurochemical environment (state) of your brain is different. The concentration and types of neuropeptides that you release are significantly different depending on specific types of activity. You don't need to tell me that neuropeptide interactions are incredibly complicated.

Well no, but.. like the "state" of your brain is constantly fluctuating anyway, a huge change would be apparent when you're asleep as opposed to awake but I really don't think that this impacts your survival if you sustain any trauma.

Be interesting if someone did an incredibly unethical study into this though...

You don't think that entering the fight or flight response would impact how you react to trauma? Also, awakeness has a huge impact on how people react to trauma, the way an unconscious body will react is very different from a conscious body. And your brain's chemical environment doesn't fluctuate at random, there's a system behind the whole thing, even if it can't be divided into a number of discrete states.

Winky on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

At least nobody has died of old age in 60 years!
    Because "old age" isn't a valid cause of death any longer

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

And Humans suffer from a 100% mortality rate. :(

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010

Despite our best efforts, we have not stopped it.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I will want one when you have time but I know you're inundated right now.

I would also hate to think that they get so popular that you stop having fun making them.

Right now I'm doing it in a first-come-first served type of thing. Looks like right now there's about a week or so delay in getting started on new orders, so not overly inundated. When it becomes a two week delay I'll put a stop to any orders until future notice. More surprised now than anything else.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You can die from shock. Part of shock involves your heart rate becoming erratic, your core temperature going down, lovely things like that. The blood flow to your extremities is limited. 'Shock' in this case is a medical condition, I don't know what the medical term for this kind of shock is. Mental shock, AFAIK, can't kill you because it doesn't have the same physiological effects.

All medical shock involves a lack of oxygen profusion. The mechanism differs. In hypovolemic shock the decreased blood volume causes blood vessels in the extremities to constrict (your body's attempt to preserve the vital core and brain) and that alone won't kill you, but generally bleeding all over the place isn't something that stops magically on it's own.

Anaphylactic shock causes vasodilation which drops the blood pressure, but again generally not enough to kill you (but anaphylaxis is often accompanied by the inability to breathe, which renders the blood pressure drop academic).

Neurogenic shock causes smooth muscle tissue to flop and twitch instead of doing it's job, which has varied effects on blood pressure. It's usually the result of spinal cord injuries, so that whole "whoops I can't breath" thing is sometimes an issue as well.

There's a few other types of shock as well which are mainly associated with severe infections (two types) and diabetes (one type).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, yeah, as far as weight loss went this week was terrible and I feel bad about that.

At least I got complimented on what I have lost last night.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Then I rescind my statements because I clearly don't really know anything about shock.

But the second part about your neurochemical state being very different is totally true, I'm not sure exactly how that would factor into things, though.

It's.. not really true. Mostly in that the concept of a "neurochemical state" doesn't really exist. Chemically things do change in your brain during stress and whatnot but it's a far too complex thing to be simplified as a "state".

I wasn't implying that you have preset states at all, I was saying that the neurochemical environment (state) of your brain is different. The concentration and types of neuropeptides that you release are significantly different depending on specific types of activity. You don't need to tell me that neuropeptide interactions are incredibly complicated.

Well no, but.. like the "state" of your brain is constantly fluctuating anyway, a huge change would be apparent when you're asleep as opposed to awake but I really don't think that this impacts your survival if you sustain any trauma.

You don't think that entering the fight or flight response would impact how you react to trauma? Also, awakeness has a huge impact on how people react to trauma, the way an unconscious body will react is very different from a conscious body. And your brain's chemical environment doesn't fluctuate at random, there's a system behind the whole thing, even if it can't be divided into a number of discrete states.

Nothing magical about the acute stress response. I can't think of a reason why it would have a statistically significant different outcome if the person was acutely stressed prior to the trauma rather than only becoming stressed following it (pain triggers it, so like there's no end result difference).

You end up with the same picture anyhow.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    this back pork is taking fucking forever to render

jesus backpork

get with the program

can't fry my chicken in pork fat without pork fat

Did you cut the bacon into smaller pieces or are you using a different cut?

i was using what the local supermarket called "salt pork" because they didn't have unsliced bacon. it's probably back pork, which is essentially what i want, but it's possible that the salt and skin are messing with the way i feel like it should have rendered.

in the end i did several iterations of frying it down until well-browned and then adding water and stewing it for a little while and cooking that down again. it evetually rendered off pretty well but kind of a pain in the ass and added at least an hour to my cook time.

i probably should have just bought bacon

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Aha, mental shock is called an Acute Stress Reaction. Apparently it can make it so that you don't realize you've been stabbed in the heart.
    After being attacked and stabbed, Austrian empress Elisabeth of Bavaria boarded a ship, unaware of the severity of her condition as consequence of an acute stress reaction. Bleeding to death from a puncture wound to the heart, Elisabeth's last words were, "What happened to me?"

Kinda nifty, in a morbid way.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    this back pork is taking fucking forever to render

jesus backpork

get with the program

can't fry my chicken in pork fat without pork fat

Did you cut the bacon into smaller pieces or are you using a different cut?

i was using what the local supermarket called "salt pork" because they didn't have unsliced bacon. it's probably back pork, which is essentially what i want, but it's possible that the salt and skin are messing with the way i feel like it should have rendered.

in the end i did several iterations of frying it down until well-browned and then adding water and stewing it for a little while and cooking that down again. it evetually rendered off pretty well but kind of a pain in the ass and added at least an hour to my cook time.

i probably should have just bought bacon

Yeah, the French don't smoke it like we do, but I can live with it because it only takes a few minutes to render down, and you can snack on the bacon as you cook it. But it really sounds like your pieces were simply too big to render properly. You want very small bits, not bigger then an inch cube really.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hardly anyone bothers to assassinate European monarchs anymore.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hardly anyone bothers to assassinate European monarchs anymore.

kind of a bummer really...

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    All of Wills problems would be solved if he just kept a coffee cup of bacon grease on the stove like everyone in the south does.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    All of Wills problems would be solved if he just kept a coffee cup of bacon grease on the stove like everyone in the south does.

^ This.

I actually use a spaghetti sauce jar.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

That's a hot fetish.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Nothing magical about the acute stress response. I can't think of a reason why it would have a statistically significant different outcome if the person was acutely stressed prior to the trauma rather than only becoming stressed following it (pain triggers it, so like there's no end result difference).

You end up with the same picture anyhow.

Endorphins, for one, will reduce your pain response. Dilation or constriction of blood vessels could significantly alter the rate of oxygen to a organ, or blood loss. I can think of plenty of other effects that your nervous system would have on your body to alter your ability to take trauma.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

^ This.

It seems gross to people who don't understand but you and me, we get it.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    886ec5a9-a373-4cab-8920-d0e97810f092.jpg

Tav on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

My dad keeps bacon grease in a mason jar in the fridge. He uses it to cook pancakes.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

^ This.

I keep mine in the fridge.

A friend came over and saw it in the fridge and asked what it was. I told them it was bacon grease and they were like holy shit that's disgusting.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Dcmbr - I got your PM. :^:

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tav wrote: »

I don't understand why I laughed at that.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

^ This.

A friend came over and saw it in the fridge and asked what it was. I told them it was bacon grease and they were like holy shit that's disgusting.

It's not disgusting God. My friends who came to my apartment made fun of me for it.

But i learned it from my mom. And now we live in the south, and it's just a thing everyone does here.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

^ This.

#459 on my list of reasons to nuke the south

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

^ This.

It's not disgusting God. My friends who came to my apartment made fun of me for it.

But i learned it from my mom. And now we live in the south, and it's just a thing everyone does here.
    Putting bacon grease in the pan before cooking eggs or pancakes or other breakfasty things makes them both easier to cook and more delicious.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Why don't you guys just keep ropes of goat arteries hanging in your fridge so you can squeeze out the fat whenever you need it.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    God, this bio lab homework is so boring. It's online and I get as many tries as I want so I'm just guessing over and over until I get a 10 out of 10.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tav wrote: »

I don't understand why I laughed at that.

Because it's hilarious.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

^ This.

So...many...jokes.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Endorphins, for one, will reduce your pain response. Dilation or constriction of blood vessels could significantly alter the rate of oxygen to a organ, or blood loss. I can think of plenty of other effects that your nervous system would have on your body to alter your ability to take trauma.

There is no such thing as a pain response. Endorphins modify how much you feel pain, this is however unrelated to the question at hand.

The rest of that is true I guess, but could you tell me how you think being stressed before trauma occurs would make your body react differently to the trauma than if you'd just been sitting having a nice relaxing coffee?

The only difference would be a psychological one possibly, physiologically your body would react in a fairly identical manner.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nexus, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate the South without you going around coming up with dumb ones.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nexus, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate the South without you going around coming up with dumb ones.

You might as well make soup from dirty dishwater.

Kagera on
This discussion has been closed.