Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would agree in saying that the UI is about 100x better than DA:O.

I'd say it's at least 2 orders of magnitude worse than DAO's. Especially the radial menu

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    I would agree in saying that the UI is about 100x better than DA:O.

I'd say it's at least 2 orders of magnitude worse than DAO's. Especially the radial menu

I'm going to list benefits DA:O didn't have. Like the ability to easily tell which of your skills is activated versus sustained. Or different length Mana/Health bars that show how much health people have relative to each other. Or the fact everything information-wise is clustered in the lower left part of the screen, making it easier to read.

Z0re on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So uhh...if the dlc stuff is listed on your user entitlements page for EA, are you able to download them right away when you fire up DA2? Are there no other codes you have to enter for those items? Like, if your xbox live tag is linked to your EA account, would you be able to grab everything on there when you put the game in without doing anything else?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So uhh...if the dlc stuff is listed on your user entitlements page for EA, are you able to download them right away when you fire up DA2? Are there no other codes you have to enter for those items? Like, if your xbox live tag is linked to your EA account, would you be able to grab everything on there when you put the game in without doing anything else?

Yep, thats how it worked with the first game and I think they're doing the same thing here.

Z0re on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pancake wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Z0re wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Okay, what's up with Hawke's face marking/scar across the bridge of his nose? In some scenes it's there, in others (mostly during conversations), it's gone. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
    It's some random blood smear that you can turn on or off in the character creator.

Off is the only correct option.

Its only even an option on the default faces anyways.

So, it appears/disappears with normal blood when turned on, then?

No, it's only there if you have it on and in the opening. You do get covered in blood during regular combat, but it isn't the streak across the nose.

I'm pretty sure that is, along with the armor and weapon, the change for Hawke when he gets Verrik-fied

Bethany increases several cup sizes...

Carver wears "I AM NOT A REDSHIRT!" non-generic armor...

...and Hawke gets a warrior paint/blood smear mark on the bridge of his/her nose.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    playing this demo on my ps3 right now as a rogue... Oh god this is fun. Did the first one play like this too? because I might need to invest in it immediately if that's the case.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Okay, what's up with Hawke's face marking/scar across the bridge of his nose? In some scenes it's there, in others (mostly during conversations), it's gone. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
    It's some random blood smear that you can turn on or off in the character creator.

Off is the only correct option.

Its only even an option on the default faces anyways.

So, it appears/disappears with normal blood when turned on, then?

No, it's only there if you have it on and in the opening. You do get covered in blood during regular combat, but it isn't the streak across the nose.

I'm pretty sure that is, along with the armor and weapon, the change for Hawke when he gets Verrik-fied

Bethany increases several cup sizes...

Carver wears "I AM NOT A REDSHIRT!" non-generic armor...

...and Hawke gets a warrior paint/blood smear mark on the bridge of his nose.

No, its a thing when in the regular portions of the game too. You can decide if you want it or not, but its on in the demo.

Z0re on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    /rant Ok, what is up with that damn social site? It's been over a year. How come the place requires me to relog in...

Every...

Single...

Time...

I...

Go...

To...

A...

New...

Window...?

Want to see my account? Login!
    Want to see my promotions? Login again!
    Want to see the forums? LOGIN BITCH!!

/endrant

As for the demo, I enjoyed it. I liked Wesley's death scene. Was nice and tragic. Combat was fun. Flemeth was sexy. Dem boobies on the ladies are never wrong.

I did notice that when the characters are all bloodied and talking to each other in a cutscene, you can see blood smears inside their mouths. That gave me a chuckle. :lol:

The only thing I didn't like was Carver's death. The emotions were just wrong and took me out of the scene because it didn't seem realistic. I've seen how people react to losing friends in combat and there are several reactions. Grief, rage, unbelief, or stocism are pretty common. I don't know, I just didn't like it. Maybe it was just the voice acting :?

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Today I learned that I'm pretty bad at Dragon Age.

Damn Troll thing killed me twice before I got it. At least the third time only 1 of my dudes died!

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Today I learned that I'm pretty bad at Dragon Age.

Damn Troll thing killed me twice before I got it. At least the third time only 1 of my dudes died!

Its easier if you don't even focus on the Ogre at all, just have Aveline spam taunt enough to keep it attacking her while everyone clears out the chaff and gets a heal/potion if they're low on health.

Having people focus on the Ogre is a deathwish.

Z0re on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Loved the demo.

The aesthetics certainly are different.. only a more proper playthrough (of the real game) will tell me if it's altogether more flashy or just the demo bits. I like the old school BG1/2 feel of DA:O and this is lacking in that.

The combat system is.. sticky. I like it better visually and it feels pretty satisfying to cut dudes in half but again, only time will tell if this is an improvement or not.

It feels like this game is coming out way too soon to be good. I very much hope I'm proven wrong.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mom didn't seem too torn up about the loss of Carver. But then again she's still got Hawke, who is just plain better in every way.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Athaedos wrote: »
    I have to say, and it was what I was fearing from the released screens and trailers and such... I just don't like this game aesthetically. The gameplay is great, no real complaints there. It seems like a great game. And I don't even really expect to hear a great story from a game, but god damn if the artistic style isn't bland. I mean, both Mass Effects had style. DA one had enough to feel right. So where did the care for that go? If anything I would hope that with sequels and such that element becomes more refined and cared for, but it seems like it was the very last priority here. I'm just an artist though, so my reasons for playing games might differ from most. I want to feel like I'm in a new world... then wrecking monsters shit becomes more meaningful. If it's the apocalpyse n' shit outside Lothering why not have some dramatic lighting or clouds or features in the landscape that stand out more than 'generic fantasy ruin'? But as I said, it seems like a very enjoyable game and I'm glad to see smooth combat like this. I just want higher aesthetic standards for such well-developed games.

I agree about the aesthetics. DAO had a lot more shiny, colorful, and generally rich atmospheric stuff going on. The opening of the DA2 demo feels unfinished to me (for all that the framerate is much worse than DAO at similar settings). The bit later with the city was just drab.

It didn't look stylized to me, it just looked less fancy, flatter, hell like an older game.

I'll play it and love it 'cuz the demo was totally fun and bioware games always suck me in story-wise, but visuals seem conspicuously lacking.

Seriously though, is anyone else getting this thing where the cutscenes are twice as loud as the in-engine audio? If the full game is like that it's going to drive me crazy.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    Mom didn't seem too torn up about the loss of Carver. But then again she's still got Hawke, who is just plain better in every way.

His codex entry you get when he dies (as soon as the real Ogre Battle starts) pretty much confirms that this version of Carver was the disapointment of the Hawke family... Big Brother/Sister is a badass Warrior/Rogue, his (twin?) sister Bethany is a mage, and he's... Carver :P

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Something about the demo's vertical slice of the game's plot really bothers me. Maybe it's because it's entirely critical path and not the open-ended parts where a game can take itself less seriously, but I'm not sure I particularly like Dragon Age's setting or writing.

The thing is, if you did the same thing with Mass Effect 2, I suspect I'd feel the same way. I ended up loving Mass Effect 2 and it's fiction, just not for it's main plot.

I don't know. :?

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I do appreciate that the heroic protagonist is not even remotely interested in doing anything about the blight.

Fuck your shit, says he. He just wants to get away.

-Considering that Mass Effect 2 was a series of unconnected vignettes, I'm not surprised you weren't fond of the plot. I sure wasn't either. All those bits floating in the rotting meat slurry that was left of the narrative were cool, though.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I very much dislike the camera. Feels too limiting in combat. And zoomed in, it centers on your character's head rather than the center of the body, which shifts your focus to the bottom of the screen and makes the UI feel way more oversized than it actually is.

Pretty much everything else seems great, though.

Monger on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not going to fully judge Bethany and Carver yet because in truth we've seen and know very little of them. Bethany's voice is a little quiet, though, where Carver seems more forceful, and that does make me lean toward him a little more. But that's not going to be the deciding factor for what class I play. I still haven't made up my mind yet.

In any case, having played the demo on 360 and PC, I'm still leaning toward keeping my PC pre-order. Aside from the graphics being better and smoother - I noticed a lot of framerate hiccups in the console demo - I'm able to control the battle a lot more effectively with a keyboard and mouse. Plus the auto-attack and auto-run options are easier on my fingers, which apparently aren't so robust anymore in the face of constant clicking.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    -Considering that Mass Effect 2 was a series of unconnected vignettes, I'm not surprised you weren't fond of the plot. I sure wasn't either. All those bits floating in the rotting meat slurry that was left of the narrative were cool, though.

Well, and ultimately it didn't detract from my enjoyment of that game. They still managed to construct a setting/fiction that was a lot of fun to be in and think about.

But if you were to create a similar vertical slice of Mass Effect 2, I suspect it's writing would showcase just as awkwardly as DA2 is for me with the demo.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, it's an interesting change to see.

There's more of a focus on individual scenes and stories rather than forever chasing after the end boss like you're speed running through a series of David Eddings novels.

I dig it.

Gots my shovel and everything. A sack for the valuables, change of clothes so the smell doesn't stick . . . You know, the essentials.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not sure I like the empty dead linear combat areas.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We saw the tutorial area of the game and just the smallest snippet afterwards. You can't really judge the games combat areas by that.

Of course the tutorial area is going to be linear.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    Yeah, it's an interesting change to see.

There's more of a focus on individual scenes and stories rather than forever chasing after the end boss like you're speed running through a series of David Eddings novels.

I dig it.

Gots my shovel and everything. A sack for the valuables, change of clothes so the smell doesn't stick . . . You know, the essentials.

Man, this is such a discussion I want to have, but I am at a loss for words at the moment and I'm not sure it's all that relevant to Dragon Age.

But just, goddamn, that approach to videogame writing could actually have some serious legs.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Noble Six ActualNoble Six Actual Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll just say, this demo is so awesome that I went out and got the Ultimate Edition of DA:O and I've started playing it. It scratches a current fantasy itch I have, and is absolutely awesome.

So the demo is really win-win. I can see myself really getting into the DA universe.

Noble Six Actual on
    XBL: JerichoTwoFour / PSN: ZeroFourThree
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And Rogue is, indeed, extremely fun. Is it actually fully hack-and-slash on consoles? I want to try that.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Looks to be just as bland and story-vague as its predecessor, me-no-likey. Thankfully Shogun 2 will be there to fill the void.

MindLib on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MindLib wrote: »

Looks to be just as bland and story-vague as its predecessor, me-no-likey. Thankfully Shogun 2 will be there to fill the void.

Yeah, it's true. That tutorial area and that ending of a quest were pretty light on story.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I...what? Shogun 2 is a completely different genraaauugghhh

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Demo was designed to make you hate playing a Mage.

Invest a bit in healing? During the time skip you become a pure support...woo
    Invest a bit in whatever Mind Blast is under? During the time skip you become useless...woo
    Invest a bit in elemental? You are kind of alright, but you have 4 spells that do the exact same thing...

I want to see what Entropy or Spirit has to offer. All the other trees are kind of underwhelming. Especially after you played as a Rogue or Varric.

EDIT: Also, why the hell do I start with Mind Blast? That ability is so underwhelming it hurts.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Yeah, it's true. That tutorial area and that ending of a quest were pretty light on story.

Basing that on reviews and previews I've read. I didn't like the first one, even though I really really wanted to. I want to like this one too, but meh. I don't see how people can't see this as a bland series, lacking in style. It's too linear and too cookie-cutter. Even the music sounds like regurgitated LoTR OST.

MindLib on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Seriously. What the hell were you expecting MindLib?

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Seriously. What the hell were you expecting MindLib?

Uh, something that might get me excited to play the game? Isn't that what a demo is for?

MindLib on
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, just finished the PC demo with a sword and board warrior. Now onto my PS3 for a mage, then the XBox later this week for a rogue. Then the tough decision on which console to get this on, since I didn't bother with the pre-order yet. I'm leaning toward PC just because of the modding community, but we'll see after the playthroughs.

Karrde1842 on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I downloaded this on both my PC and 360. PC version ran fine and looks better, obviously, but I kind of like the 360 controls better. The combat engine (when controlling one character during the very most intro sequence where you get six abilities) seems way better with a controller. Granted, with multiple characters I'm assuming keyboard and mouse takes a huge lead. I assume it has to have controller support, considering it was developed side-by-side along both systems, right?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If you don't like the plot or characters, that's a fine and valid complaint. Maybe the writing overall isn't for you.

But if you were expecting a demo to be anything but linear well...I don't know what to tell you. Actually I do: Set more realistic expectations.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I thought Bethany had an outrageous chest, but then Isabella comes along and is all "No, Rorus, gaze into my rack and see the true meaning of ridiculous."

I had no choice but to kneel in the presence of her absurd proportions.
    The demo was fun though.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I hope we can get some clarification from Vsove on 2 Handed Warriors damage issues. I'm hoping it's just a gear/level thing. :(

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I thought Bethany had an outrageous chest, but then Isabella comes along and is all "No, Rorus, gaze into my rack and see the true meaning of ridiculous."

The demo was fun though.

If you'll notice, Bethany's chest goes down to a much more reasonable size after Varric stops his legend.

Fiaryn wrote: »
    I hope we can get some clarification from Vsove on 2 Handed Warriors damage issues. I'm hoping it's just a gear/level thing. :(

I dunno, I think someone on the Dragon Age team just hates 2 Handers. I mean they were the worst in Origins by miles and they don't look much better at all now.

Z0re on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

The demo was fun though.
    If you'll notice, Bethany's chest goes down to a much more reasonable size after Varric stops his legend.
    I'll keep an eye out next time, but that doesn't explain Ms. Silly Boobs.

Rogue feels better this time around. I'm hoping mages won't be as crazy as they were before.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't even know what you guys are talking about.

The two hander in the demo (at least up to the last ogre) was fine. Seemed to be killing things around as fast as the one-handed, only he killed everything in front of him rather than one at a time.

Foolish Chaos on
This discussion has been closed.