As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take [chat] to your cinema

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mim wrote: »
    Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Apparently they're not offering the Creative Writing capstone at my school for my senior year. Which is bullshit because if you have people taking creative writing classes but no capstone that focuses on what we're passionate about, then we're fucked writing research papers.

AHHHH.

So you have to write a research paper instead of doing the course if you want to graduate this year?

But you can't really write a paper on creative writing.

Make a complaint, I guess.

It's like, we have a capstone on one specific topic. Some of them write research papers but if they're creative writing oriented then you write stories. It looks like the only creative writing course they're offering is poetry.

I think their website is screwed up though because they're offering about 20 "academic discourse" classes, they have 9 "intro to creative writing" but only 1 advanced creative writing and then no capstone for it. Which, I mean..if you do capstones then you need to really offer them every semester or else everyone who did the creative track is going to be set back severely because you don't write research papers in creative writing classes.

I'm heading up there now to see what's the deal.

I actually had the same problem this year, where the capstone I needed wasn't available the semester I wanted to graduate in.

I went and got up in their shit about it and they told me I could do the necessary course as an independent study program, which I am now doing. Or I could've need one of their medium courses in a more advanced way, something like that. But it all worked out pretty well in the end.

I might have to do that. I just got the official list from them and I feel completely unprepared for all of these classes. They're offering a film class but its about African American films and what they show us in society. And then a poetry and politics class (which I'm sure the poetry people are going "WTF" over) and then a Shakespeare course. I might do Shakespeare but it'll be like fucking pulling teeth.

I'm livid right now. I cannot believe this.

Mim on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Getting pate that isn't liver of some kind is pretty tricky here. I don't care for liver. Bit of a leftover from my childhood where it was drilled into my head that you don't eat deer liver. So I substitute mushrooms and don't feel bad.

Deer liver is poisonous? Like whale liver?

It's not poisonous but it does tend to store any mercury that the deer ingests. Depending on the region the levels can be above the safe levels.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I might have to do that. I just got the official list from them and I feel completely unprepared for all of these classes. They're offering a film class but its about African American films and what they show us in society. And then a poetry and politics class (which I'm sure the poetry people are going "WTF" over) and then a Shakespeare course. I might do Shakespeare but it'll be like fucking pulling teeth.

I'm livid right now. I cannot believe this.

Universities are always bureaucratically monstrous and people do always seem to fall through the cracks, but also they tend to be pretty good at safety nets and everything working out in the end. And for what it's worth in my experience the courses you had to take just because your schedule doesn't work out any other way are often the courses that you learn the most from.

This has been your daily message of optimism from: Crimson King.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I call bullshit on mercury being poisonous. I played with little pools of it as a kid and I'm FINE.

I just wish I could get all of this SKIN off of my Arm. What the fuck.

Ludious on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    So the Tin Tin movie was written by Stephen Moffat, Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright?

Blimus.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    guys can I be serious with you for a second

Rebecca Black is the only singer who ever got through to me

Until now I was fucking sure Saturday came after Sunday
    Are you sure it wasn't the son of a preacher man? Was he the only one who could ever reach you?

isn't that song about gettin boned by a preachers son?

yes

A friend of mine actually sang that song to her then-boyfriend, who was in fact the celibate son of a preacher.

They were both oblivious to its meaning.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011

Getting pate that isn't liver of some kind is pretty tricky here. I don't care for liver. Bit of a leftover from my childhood where it was drilled into my head that you don't eat deer liver. So I substitute mushrooms and don't feel bad.

It's not poisonous but it does tend to store any mercury that the deer ingests. Depending on the region the levels can be above the safe levels.

like on thermometer farms

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    blah, really don't feel like writing this test plan.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    How come I have a bad feeling the USA is gonna wind up taking some kind of reputation war mongering ding for getting involved with Libya even though it's a coalition involvement and the French are really kinda spearheading it.
    If all goes well, hopefully this will end the Americans' annoying anti-French bullshit. And, y'know, I guess liberate Libya or something.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Feeding deer mercury is the best hobby.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    when i was a kid someone brought a bunch of mercury they got out of a thermometer to school in one of those little plastic film canisters

they called the hazmat team and the kids got drug outside and sprayed down infront of the school like they had been contaminated with radiation

and then the whole section of the hall where the kid had been keeping it in his locker got cordoned off and they did whatever they do to clean that

it was a p big deal

but also funny

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    blah, really don't feel like writing this test plan.

test 1: throw space suit off the roof (x3)
    test 2: fart in space suit, see if smell leaks (x4)
    test 3: drag space suit behind pickup, engineer inside (x2)

???

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gooey wrote: »
    when i was a kid someone brought a bunch of mercury they got out of a thermometer to school in one of those little plastic film canisters

they called the hazmat team and the kids got drug outside and sprayed down infront of the school like they had been contaminated with radiation

and then the whole section of the hall where the kid had been keeping it in his locker got cordoned off and they did whatever they do to clean that

it was a p big deal

but also funny

What the fuck? That is madness.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That seems pretty unnecessary and humiliating.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    guys can I be serious with you for a second

Rebecca Black is the only singer who ever got through to me

Until now I was fucking sure Saturday came after Sunday
    Are you sure it wasn't the son of a preacher man? Was he the only one who could ever reach you?

isn't that song about gettin boned by a preachers son?

yes

A friend of mine actually sang that song to her then-boyfriend, who was in fact the celibate son of a preacher.

They were both oblivious to its meaning.

Afternoon Delight is about a lovely cup of iced tea on a hot summers day

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One of the temporary offices we had, there was apparently a container of mercury in the basement.

It somehow got knocked over and the janitor tried to mop it up or something.

Whatever happened, it got tracked all over the office. A janitor tried to mop some of it down the elevator shaft etc.

The office was closed for a week and just about every alphabet group in the government was on site.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hahaha

The same janitor?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One of the temporary offices we had, there was apparently a container of mercury in the basement.

Whatever happened, it got tracked all over the office. A janitor tried to mop some of it down the elevator shaft etc.

The office was closed for a week and just about every alphabet group in the government was on site.

D:

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, mercury poisoning isn't something they take lightly.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That seems pretty unnecessary and humiliating.

that was the best part

they evacuated that part of the school, so everyone went outside like a fire drill and there were the kids, naked and getting hosed down and scrubbed by guys in hazmat suits

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hahaha

The same janitor?

Not sure but I like to imagine it was.

"WHY WON'T THIS PAINT MOP UP? AH FUCK IT."

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mercury is not a big deal unless you're eating it (or more getting it into your lungs). Hysteria about broken thermometers helps nobody.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    this space politics blog troll is so tiresome. as are the rest of the commentors inability to ignore him. They're a bunch of compulsive types that can't just let it go.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You can absorb it through the skin, can't you?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mercury is not a big deal unless you're eating it (or more getting it into your lungs). Hysteria about broken thermometers helps nobody.

It helps Big Alcohol Thermometer

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    this space politics blog troll is so tiresome. as are the rest of the commentors inability to ignore him. They're a bunch of compulsive types that can't just let it go.

space people?

being compulsive?

IMPOSSIBLE.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gooey wrote: »

space people?

being compulsive?

IMPOSSIBLE.

yeah...

Being OCD is actually a really useful trait when inattentiveness can lead to big oopsies

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Sup, internet. Here's a snail on a snake.

4401_e98c_500.jpeg

Echo on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not very easily. It's the vapor that is most harmful. This is why breaking fluorescent and CFL bulbs can be dangerous, since they contain mercury.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

The one context where the hysteria is somewhat appropriate is when it comes to aircraft. It will quite happily creep along seams by capillary action, amalgamate with the aluminium in the airframe and cause invisible weak spots in undetectable places (until something breaks, obv.).

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Not so much. You can swim in it, you could actually eat it and you'd be fine. The problem is mercury vapour and your respiratory system.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Actually, I'm not sure if the mechanics of swimming would work in mercury, but the problems stem from putting in your mouth, nose or ears. Or it being hot.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Actually, I'm not sure if the mechanics of swimming would work in mercury, but the problems stem from putting in your mouth, nose or ears. Or it being hot.

You would be much more buoyant in mercury than you would be in water.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    japan wrote: »

This is true, but it's also really viscous. Could be one of those situations where you'd fail to produce enough force with each stroke to actually move.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

it might be really hard to break through the surface tension.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    chat, your inactivity is not aiding me in slacking on this stupid test plan.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    chat, your inactivity is not aiding me in slacking on this stupid test plan.
    Slack harder! Put the effort in!

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Recent work at Fukushima Daiichi has included making holes to allow hydrogen to disspate from fuel ponds at units 5 and 6, while unit 3's fuel pond is said to have stabilised. An announcement of stability at unit 3's pond came from chief cabinet secretary Yukiyo Edano. This follows the deployment of Hyper Rescue, a truck featuring a 22 metre arm that pumps some 3000 litres of water per minute, in combination with Super Pump Truck. Together the machines sprayed seawater through the holes left in the sides of the reactor building.

Only Japan would have a Hyper Rescue Super Pump Truck.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Recent work at Fukushima Daiichi has included making holes to allow hydrogen to disspate from fuel ponds at units 5 and 6, while unit 3's fuel pond is said to have stabilised. An announcement of stability at unit 3's pond came from chief cabinet secretary Yukiyo Edano. This follows the deployment of Hyper Rescue, a truck featuring a 22 metre arm that pumps some 3000 litres of water per minute, in combination with Super Pump Truck. Together the machines sprayed seawater through the holes left in the sides of the reactor building.

Only Japan would have a Hyper Rescue Super Pump Truck.

it transforms into a giant robot with a laser sword.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    So Hereafter was actually an okay movie.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.