Options

CSI: Ankh-Morpork

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love it when like three things click for me at once with a Discworld book.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    queuewindowqueuewindow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i'm going to say pratchett's humor doesn't translate well to tv. the funniest parts in his book aren't the events that happen, but the way pratchett describes them. unless there's a narrator on the show i don't know how they would accomplish that. oh, and the tv minis have been butts

queuewindow on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love Pratchett's reason for having six computer monitors set up in a double row in front of him

Because he can't fit eight

Gatsby on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Mysst wrote: »
    man who the hell is going to play Nobby Nobbs

If he were 20 years younger I'd say it would have to be Tony Robinson.

tynic on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    Seems like this dwarf

...came up short.

Sounds like someone who's about to messily commit suicide.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    people commit suicide a lot in ankh morpork

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seriously though, we need more Moist von Lipwig.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    it's pronounced Lipvig, actually

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Two things. First, I seem to be in the minority, but I really liked all the Discword adaptations. TCOM was the weakest, but I loved Hogfather and thought that Going Postal was pretty well done as well. Could of been better, to be sure, but to make it into a 4 hour miniseries, gotta cut something. And I can't wait to see the series. I do wonder if they're going to have all new stories or for like, the first season, use versions of the books.

Second, random question about "Interesting Times". This has always bugged me, but was Lord Hong really as good as he said he was, or was everyone just saying, "Oh yes, you're the best!" to prevent themselves from being killed?

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    He was really that good. The book itself said as much, rather than any one character.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    taoistlumberjaktaoistlumberjak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought Monstrous Regiment was funny
    despite seeing everything that happened coming from a long distance away

Small Gods and Going Postal are definitely my favorites. I have Thud! and Mort waiting in line behind the biography of Theodore Roosevelt I'm reading right now.

I also bought The Last Hero for my future child. That should be real fun.

taoistlumberjak on
    grillsgrillsgrills.jpg
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »
    My favourite moment in any Discworld book... well I actually can't remember which one it was from, but it was one of the witches books. Anyway, Granny Weatherwax had been built up to be the most powerful witch in the world, but there hadn't really been any evidence of that. Smartest witch? Absolutely, no contest. But most powerful?

Then some guy goes screaming past her in a horse and carriage and comes an inch from running her down, and Granny just goes >:[ and shoots a bolt of lighting out of her hand and blasts one of the wheels off the carriage.

So awesome.

she may or may not be the most powerful

it's implied that maybe she is

she is, however, the most intimidating

she essentially bends magic to her will by scaring it

While it is somewhat ambiguous as to whether or not Granny's the most powerful Witch, she's definitely in the top two, along with Nanny Ogg, who is frequently alluded to as being possibly more powerful than Granny, but she doesn't want Granny to know.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I very vaguely remember Nanny Ogg doing something Granny either couldn't do or really struggled with, easily and then being like "Don't tell Granny *wink*"

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really enjoy the tiffany aching books. they're nice little nostalgic pieces of growing up and learning about who you are

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    are you guys serious about moist
    his books were completely terrible

queuewindow on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I very vaguely remember Nanny Ogg doing something Granny either couldn't do or really struggled with, easily and then being like "Don't tell Granny *wink*"

flying

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The only things known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Weedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed.

queuewindow on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    what don't you like about the moist books

Shabooty on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the ink runs

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mysst wrote: »
    the ink runs

how long have you been saving that

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Is this a thread for the sharing of stories where we acted kind of like those Nac Mac Feegle chappies?

One time I was helping out at a stable, where some friends of my mum keep their horses, and much though I don't like horses overly much I tried my hand at getting to know one of the larger beasts, at which point it promptly headbutted me.

As a Scotsman, I took this to be a challenge, and so grabbed it by both ears and headbutted it right back.

P.S. I think Pratchett's complaint about the sword is that he could be arrested for carrying it around, even though he's a knight, and how the hell is he meant to slay dragons and save maidens if he's not allowed his sword?

back in highschool a couple of my buddies set up a hog trap at one of their girlfriend's house because they had hogs tearing up their yard

sooooo one day after our football practice we gotta trap full of hogs and as we're moving the trap to transport the hogs one of the feisty fuckers lunges through the top, busts loose, and starts trying to snap at everybody carrying the trap

at which point i promptly punched it between the eyes and dropped it, and then we didn't have a problem with it again

uppity animals, man.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Butler wrote: »
    My favourite moment in any Discworld book... well I actually can't remember which one it was from, but it was one of the witches books. Anyway, Granny Weatherwax had been built up to be the most powerful witch in the world, but there hadn't really been any evidence of that. Smartest witch? Absolutely, no contest. But most powerful?

Then some guy goes screaming past her in a horse and carriage and comes an inch from running her down, and Granny just goes >:[ and shoots a bolt of lighting out of her hand and blasts one of the wheels off the carriage.

So awesome.

Well in carpe jugulum she
    gets about as bad ass as it gets.
    I love the discworld stuff, so many great characters..
    The witches, the watch, the patrician, death, the wizards..

Not as badass as it gets. Very close.
    The record still goes to THIS IS NOT MY COW.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    are you guys serious about moist
    his books were completely terrible

genuinely sorry you have this opinion.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Never read a Moist book.

Teee-ah-Tiii-mah

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Going Postal is better and has more enjoyable characters than Making Money, but they're both quite good.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    articulating what i didn't like about a book is hard for me, but i'll try
    the moist books seemed like all flash and no substance. it was the first time i felt a discworld book was too by the numbers i guess? like they had hired a ghost writer to ape pratchett's style
    and moist is just a poorly conceived character. not compelling at all

queuewindow on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I read to young sam

server needs some free time :( it's just way too busy

Depressperado on
  • Options
    CowardlyCowardly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really like Making Money, and really like Moist. I dont understand what you dont like.

He's a step ahead of everyone but Vetinari, who dances around everyone and hes so charming, but still a rogue at heart.

Cowardly on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know it doesn't match his description in the books at all but I always imagined Sam Vimes to look like John Marsten from Red Dead Redemption, with just a tiny twinge of his accent

Also,
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    If there is anything awaiting me after I die, I hope whatever leads me there is exactly like Pratchett's Death

This man speaks my mind

Ledneh on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also I really liked Going Postal, and sort of liked Making Money but I felt the ending fell really flat

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Cowardly wrote: »
    I really like Making Money, and really like Moist. I dont understand what you dont like.

He's a step ahead of everyone but Vetinari, who dances around everyone and hes so charming, but still a rogue at heart.

yeah he's a little bit too perfect
    like a character out of a fanfiction

queuewindow on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Pratchett is probably the only person who can consistently make me love practically infallible characters (except the luggage, fuck the luggage).

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    how many "infallible" characters are there other than vetinari

queuewindow on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    depending on your definition of infallible

death at least

also, the luggage owns

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Making money was pretty much exactly the same book as going postal. In fact I have trouble separating them in my mind. Kinda feels like he had a books worth of characters and plot development, couldn't decide whether to set it in the mint or the post office and just went 'fuck it, two books, bam'.

Deicist on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i'd say death is invincible, not infallible, especially in his own books

queuewindow on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Night Watch hurt my heart, far and away my favourite Pratchett

Hobnail on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cowardly wrote: »

yeah he's a little bit too perfect
    like a character out of a fanfiction

Too perfect?

He's an asshole. A charming asshole, sure, but the books remember that he's a con man and he makes his living by stealing from people, a lot of whom don't deserve what happens to them.

Also, Vetinari plays him like a fiddle, the golem manages to trounce him when he tries a run, and on and on.

And yes.

Night Watch is the best.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Night Watch is so good

"You're hurting!"

"You know, you're right there, Carcer!"
    "I'm hurting and I'm still doing it all by the book."

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

That might have been during the witching duel between Granny and Diamanda, when Nanny Ogg tricked one of her little grandsons into walking into the magic circle to allow Granny to win the duel.

Or it might have been when she went to get the King of the Elves involved, which Granny would never have done due to her pride.

Spectre-x on