As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CSI: Ankh-Morpork

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Ubik wrote: »
    i tried reading the colour of magic and did not really like it

It's usually regarded as his weakest one and he hadn't really nailed the style yet

Try the Death books, or the Night Watch ones

Night Watch is the best Pratchett novel I've read, and one of my favourite novels, period.

It was also the first Pratchett novel I've read, which has kinda sucked as nothing else has been as good. Going from that to Colour of Magic was particularly jarring.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've read all his weakest ones first thank god. So when I tried some of the latter ones randomly it was "Wait...this...this is brilliant."

And I love Vetinari.

"It's not to keep them out, it's to keep me in."

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know my favourite part about Night watch?

Big spoiler:
    At the end of the story, unlike pretty much any similar story I can think of, the villian didn't have some sort of final battle with the hero. In the end, after all that went on, that cunt fucking swung.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    I very vaguely remember Nanny Ogg doing something Granny either couldn't do or really struggled with, easily and then being like "Don't tell Granny *wink*"

That might have been during the witching duel between Granny and Diamanda, when Nanny Ogg tricked one of her little grandsons into walking into the magic circle to allow Granny to win the duel.

Or it might have been when she went to get the King of the Elves involved, which Granny would never have done due to her pride.

Each of the witches seem to have a sphere of influence or situation that they particularly shine in, anyway.
    I personally enjoy whenever Magrat gets cornered and starts beating the shit out of things.

Greebo's comparison to a Vixen protecting her cubs that kicked the stuffing out of him was an amazingly apt way to describe it, considering how badass Greebo is himself.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hobnail wrote: »
    You know my favourite part about Night watch?

Big spoiler:
    At the end of the story, unlike pretty much any similar story I can think of, the villian didn't have some sort of final battle with the hero. In the end, after all that went on, that cunt fucking swung.

Agreed.
    I mean, look at, say, Batman comics. The Joker gets sent to jail, breaks out, murders a million people, gets caught, repeat. Deeply unsatisfying, makes the system look worthless. Here? It works. Not perfectly, but the law works. Justice will be done tolerably swiftly and decidedly effectively. Beautiful.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Way late on this, but whenever I picture Vetinari or hear any of his lines in my head, it's always Alan Rickman.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love Discworld, I really do. Vimes is by far my favourite, closely followed by Death and Granny Weatherwax. I have a really hard time imagining someone who can get Vimes right, I hope they don't mess up.

If I'm lucky, Practchett will do a book tour and I get him to sign some stuff for me. Maybe hug him a bit and tell him I love his work.

Liiya on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How about selling us all your fat really cheap?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What.

Liiya on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I actually quite liked the Going Postal TV adaptation, Unseen Academicals will be the next one!

I'm so excited that the next book is centered on Vimes! Also in 2009 the BBC did a documentary about Terry living with Alzheimer's, it was really sad. They filmed him trying to read from Nation at the Discworld convention, he couldn't manage it :(

Though they also showed him at his desk with siz monitors, one had Oblivion on it and he was talking about how he had a group of mice living in his desk, it was really cute.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vetinari always looks more or less like Jeremy Irons in my head, though he doesn't sound like him

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Liiya wrote: »
    What.

It's a quote from the Fifth Elephant I believe!

And yeah, Pratchett is my (and many other's it would appear) all-time favourite author, hands down

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Vetinari always looks more or less like Jeremy Irons in my head, though he doesn't sound like him

I dunno why he had a lisp in the Colour of Magic TV film, but I think Charles DAnce did a great job in Going Postal.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unseen Academicals is probably the only Discworld book that I don't like, or at least have negative opinions of.

Having said that I've only read it the once.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This reminds me that I really should read more Discworld books

I know they're all standalone stories but I just couldn't handle reading Guards! Guards! and then jumping ahead and seeing like "oh hey Vimes is captain of the guard now and there's a whole new character who got introduced in another book"

So I hunted down a copy of Feat of Clay but I haven't read it yet. I did read Mort though! But not any of the other Death books

I'm the worst Discworld fan

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Men at Arms is my favorite Discworld novel

I fully recognise it isn't the best one, but it was the first Discworld book I ever read.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've read all his weakest ones first thank god. So when I tried some of the latter ones randomly it was "Wait...this...this is brilliant."

And I love Vetinari.

"It's not to keep them out, it's to keep me in."

One man, one vote

Turns out he's the one man with the vote

Ledneh on
  • Options
    DaisyDaisy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Firematic. wrote: »
    Doesn't Pratchett also have a sword he made buried somewhere in England because they didn't want to let him keep it, citing some weapons thing?

Not only does he have a sword, he forged it himself with thunderbolt iron.
    Terry Pratchett made his own sword. By hand. Out of meteorites!

A knight needs a sword, right? That's what Terry Pratchett figured when he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II last year. But when you're the creator of Discworld, not just any sword will do.

The author decided to make the sword himself, using deposits of iron ore he found in a field near his home in Wiltshire, west of London, which he smelted in a makeshift kiln fueled by sheep manure. But even that wasn't enough for him. He needed to toss in a very special ingredient.

Pratchett said that he added "several pieces of meteorites—thunderbolt iron, you see—highly magical, you've got to chuck that stuff in whether you believe in it or not."

He hammered the metal into bars, which he then took to a blacksmith, who helped him shape it into a blade, which is now being stored in a secret location. Apparently he's concerned that the authorities might take it from him.

"It annoys me that knights aren't allowed to carry their swords," he said. "That would be knife crime."

I'm cautiously optimistic about this - Pratchett is my favourite author but I haven't been a huge fan of any of the adaptations for TV so far! I think so much of the appeal of his books is in the narrative voice he brings that they kind of lose something when they're adapted...

Daisy on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I loved the Hogfather movie, still haven't seen the Colour of Magic or Going Postal adaptations however.

Just based on the Hogfather alone I'm leaning more toward optimistic than cautious.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't quite get why people are down on Colour of Magic (nor why they keep misspelling it :p), but then again I started reading the series sometime in the 80's before half of the books people claim as their first were even published. I have great memories of the book and still think it stands excellently well on it's own, even if it doesn't tie quite as tightly to the latter established conventions of the Discworld from the later books. It's not the same, but it is still excellent.

On the other hand, because I started reading back when the series was in single digits, it seemed to make sense to start at the beginning, so it was my first book in the series. Still one I reread , though, unlike about half of the others.

Personally, I don't care for the witches as much; I kinda feel like I've read as much about them as I care to, and while I enjoyed the first few after a point I didn't feel like I was treading any new ground I cared about.

On the other hand, I can devour City Watch novels with ease, and Moist and the Wizards (wizzards?) are still quite enjoyable to me. I never tire of Death's cameos, but I do think some of his and Susan's stories are uneven.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love the idea that when Vimes has a near-death experience, it's almost more accurate to say that Death had a near-Vimes experience

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    who

will play dibbler?

Shabooty on
  • Options
    queuewindowqueuewindow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fishman wrote: »
    I don't quite get why people are down on Colour of Magic (nor why they keep misspelling it :p), but then again I started reading the series sometime in the 80's before half of the books people claim as their first were even published. I have great memories of the book and still think it stands excellently well on it's own, even if it doesn't tie quite as tightly to the latter established conventions of the Discworld from the later books. It's not the same, but it is still excellent.

On the other hand, because I started reading back when the series was in single digits, it seemed to make sense to start at the beginning, so it was my first book in the series. Still one I reread , though, unlike about half of the others.

Personally, I don't care for the witches as much; I kinda feel like I've read as much about them as I care to, and while I enjoyed the first few after a point I didn't feel like I was treading any new ground I cared about.

On the other hand, I can devour City Watch novels with ease, and Moist and the Wizards (wizzards?) are still quite enjoyable to me. I never tire of Death's cameos, but I do think some of his and Susan's stories are uneven.

I have fond memories of color of magic too having read it a long, long time before i was a discerning reader, but it really doesn't hold up

queuewindow on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    it doesn't hold up to his later books

it's still a good read

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    queuewindowqueuewindow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yep yep

queuewindow on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didn't really enjoy reading Color of Magic 6 years ago but recently listened to it on audio book and it was much more enjoyable. Several of his books are better when you read them a second time. I really disliked Carpe Jugulum the first time around, especially the ending, but appreciated it much more several years later.

And as for infallible characters, Death is arguably one of most fallible of the lot. He's actually a more human character than many of the actual humans.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I didn't really enjoy reading Color of Magic 6 years ago but recently listened to it on audio book and it was much more enjoyable. Several of his books are better when you read them a second time. I really disliked Carpe Jugulum the first time around, especially the ending, but appreciated it much more several years later.

And as for infallible characters, Death is arguably one of most fallible of the lot. He's actually a more human character than many of the actual humans.

not

really?

he kinda wants to be, but the entire point is that he isn't human

also, even when did become human, he was still essentially "himself"

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Human in that he has faults, he gets depressed, struggles to understand himself. As opposed to some of the actual human characters who have no obvious faults, rarely if ever make mistakes and are generally two dimensional. Death is a reflection of the creatures that made him, that's the point.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I actually think a TV series has way more potential than another straight-up adaptation of his work. Because his books tend to have climaxes that are incredibly surreal, which works on the page, but can be nigh impossible to get across on screen. Shit like unseen colors and imagined universes and complex logical paradoxes and decaying realities.

A series that can take the characters, settings, and all that cool shit, but packaged into storylines you can actually, y'know, film? That sounds pretty badass.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    uh

he existed before humans

well before humans

and he doesn't get depressed, just bored

also he understands himself completely (at least after reaper man)

also also, every single character has some defining character flaw

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    He's an anthropomorphic personification, by his own definition. He didn't exist until the idea of him as an actual entity was there.

And he was pretty damn depressed in Soul Music.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    no seriously

he existed well before humans, just like the auditors

although he likes cats, so that's character flaw

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I need to re-read Reaper Man. Went straight from Mort to Soul Music in my recent re-read for some reason, so it has been a few years. You're probably right about him existing before humans, but I definitely know he was down in Soul Music. Thief of Time also touches on him and the other Horsemen gaining human qualities as well.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    E FlatE Flat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thief of Time also touches on him and the other Horsemen gaining human qualities as well.
    I love War's bitter old house wife.

E Flat on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The four horsemen in Theif of Time made me want to read Good Omens again. The four horsemen were probably my second favorite part of that book besides Crowley and the Angel.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    eeeeee <3 the nightwatch

skettios on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My first was The Lost Continent and it was glorious. God I love Rincewind

Hobnail on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sourcery Rincewind is still my favorite Rincewind. I like him when he defends his wizzardness, despite being less magical than a soggy boot.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also half brick in a sock.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good Omens was so good

Discworld is so good

I like things