Options

Mass Effect: Garrus, Liara, Kaiden and Colonel Sanders in ME3

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunately, the original ME's combat is pretty clunky. Things get a bit better as you go on, because you can shoot for longer than 1/2 a second before you overheat and you're as accurate as a storm trooper. By the time you hit level 20, things are about as good as they'll get--which is still not great, but it's at least passable.

You'll certainly learn to do the mass-effect shuffle by the end of it.

But the atmosphere is great and the skyboxes are beautiful and despite the complaints, the Mako does help to grant a real sense of scale in the universe--so I hope you're able to enjoy the game.

Orca on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jazz wrote: »
    The Bioware store website is - for lack of a better description - fucking terrible. I can't even check my point balance. The only reason I have Lair of the Shadow Broker is because I went through the chat tech support, ended up buying $10 in points through EA's store and still couldn't get to the DLC in the BW store. I have never seen a company so dedicated to not taking people's money.

But the chat support people are alright in my experience. If you talk with them they might be able to sort out the problem.

Might have to do that, cheers. I can check my balance (still 0) by going to Profile > Add Bioware Points.

Yes, I get an "It appears you have more than one accounts for this currency. Remove one and try again." I have no idea what that error means, and it is only one of many variants when I visit their "store."

Yeah.. I tried buying points during the weekend when I installed ME2 (After buying it on the December Sale) and failed.. Several times.

Turns out there are like 9 points that explain why you just can't buy points, including having "special characters" on your email to failing to pass an IP check, here they are (Some have fixes, some not so much, hopefully it might help you): HERE

I tried using my USA debit card, I got an "An error has occurred while trying to process your request. Please, try again later." error.

I tried using my Mexican debit card, it wouldn't even let me register is as a valid debit card.

And in order to try to use pay pal, I need to physically deposit on pay pal's mexican bank account (Mostly because my Mexican Bank sucks).

I Also tried using EA Live chat, but "Smith" couldn't help me, he did told me "try later" and that the failed purchases weren't going to be charged (Because there are stories of people getting charged by paypal but receiving no points).

In the mean time, I'm really enjoying the game; while I wait for Bioware to realize they would get more money on STEAM.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Orca wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the original ME's combat is pretty clunky. Things get a bit better as you go on, because you can shoot for longer than 1/2 a second before you overheat and you're as accurate as a storm trooper. By the time you hit level 20, things are about as good as they'll get--which is still not great, but it's at least passable.

You'll certainly learn to do the mass-effect shuffle by the end of it.

But the atmosphere is great and the skyboxes are beautiful and despite the complaints, the Mako does help to grant a real sense of scale in the universe--so I hope you're able to enjoy the game.

Thanks. I had to stop and look at the giant ship take off, let the civilians burn.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    but the bioware site claimed it didnt, weird.

It didn't, and then it did.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just tried to buy points again, and it worked. Of course now there's three transactions in short order on my account from the same vendor for $1 exactly (that initial failure/"authorization charge"), $20 + tax and $5 + tax, so doubtless it's gonna get flagged for fraud - had that happen due to small-ticket Steam purchases before - and I'll have to tell my bank it's cool in the morning. Still, could've been far more hassle than that.

I guess waiting until off-peak hours helped.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    The Bioware store website is - for lack of a better description - fucking terrible. I can't even check my point balance. The only reason I have Lair of the Shadow Broker is because I went through the chat tech support, ended up buying $10 in points through EA's store and still couldn't get to the DLC in the BW store. I have never seen a company so dedicated to not taking people's money.

But the chat support people are alright in my experience. If you talk with them they might be able to sort out the problem.

They had a good thing going with the da:o store integrated into the game, I don't know why they would move away from that model.

In other news, just finished the first mission in the original ME. Liking everything so far except for combat. (I'm not into fps, even if I can pause by holding spacebar). And I keep changing weapons with the mousewheel trying desperately to zoom out.
    Good luck with the 2nd one then. It's significantly more shooty.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

They had a good thing going with the da:o store integrated into the game, I don't know why they would move away from that model.

In other news, just finished the first mission in the original ME. Liking everything so far except for combat. (I'm not into fps, even if I can pause by holding spacebar). And I keep changing weapons with the mousewheel trying desperately to zoom out.
    Good luck with the 2nd one then. It's significantly more shooty.

Better shooty, though.

Much better.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Blimey, Kasumi's a whopper on PC. Almost a gig.

Afraid of how big Shadow Broker's going to be. The PC DLC files seem significantly bigger than their 360 counterparts, which were already pretty massive. Higher-res textures and stuff, I assume.

Edit: So apparently Shadow Broker is marginally smaller on PC. I am confuse.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does the PC version really have better textures? Doesn't seem like it.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Does the PC version really have better textures? Doesn't seem like it.

I dunno, actually. If it does I can't see them anyway because I'm below minimum spec (I think; the min specs for ME2 are a little ambiguous) and had to tweak the shit out of the game to make it playable.

Jazz on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jazz wrote: »

Might have to do that, cheers. I can check my balance (still 0) by going to Profile > Add Bioware Points.

Yes, I get an "It appears you have more than one accounts for this currency. Remove one and try again." I have no idea what that error means, and it is only one of many variants when I visit their "store."

Yeah.. I tried buying points during the weekend when I installed ME2 (After buying it on the December Sale) and failed.. Several times.

Turns out there are like 9 points that explain why you just can't buy points, including having "special characters" on your email to failing to pass an IP check, here they are (Some have fixes, some not so much, hopefully it might help you): HERE

I haven't seen that list before, but even putting information into my EA account profile still gets me errors however I get to the store page. Most of those suggestions deal with actually properly inputting information in the store window.

Which is something I would love to be able to do. I dream of days where I can mistype my credit card information. I yearn for the days when not putting the right postal abbreviation for a billing address is what gives me an error.

As it is, I cannot get to a place that even resembles something that is not an error message. If I go to the store page (e.g. through Games->Mass Efffect 2->Official DLC and clicking Buy Now on one) I am greeted by "An error has occured while trying to process your request. Please try again later."

Apparently 15 months is not "later" enough.

...Never mind that all of their game pages are designed like crap. Seriously, go to http://masseffect.bioware.com/ and tell me where the DLC is. Try it. It takes at least 3 clicks to get to the individual DLC listing. And once you're there you need to create an account, buy points and then you can spend those points on things.

You know, if the store worked.

President Rex on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    and of course we probably wouldn't have this issue if we weren't trying to spend REAL money to buy FAKE money to buy the STUFF WE ACTUALLY WANT

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The entire funbucks concept is basically pure evil.

It's like company scrip that you pay for the privilege of using.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't remember how it works with Bioware funbucks but Microsoft funbucks is built up in a way that you always have a small excess of funbucks laying around that you end up unable to use - unless you buy more funbucks. So in the end they scheme out a tiny percentage of extra money from everyone.

It's a hideous concept and I'm pretty sure MS was supposed to go into court for it in the US.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    At least, from what I've seen the amount of funbucks needed to get the DLC are the same quantity that you can purchase. As opposed to:

DLC cost: 560 BWPs
    Quantity Options: 500 for twice the price, 1500 (save 10%!!!)

Edit: So to speak to Honk's point, you're only (theoretically) spending as much as you need to.

Decoy on
  • Options
    LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bioware's funbucks purchasing system is incompetent, but not necessarily evil. Microsoft's? Yeah that shit's evil.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Btw, if I'm on Steam the game will patch itself, correct? And to get dlc I need to go to the social.bioware site, right?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    I can't remember how it works with Bioware funbucks but Microsoft funbucks is built up in a way that you always have a small excess of funbucks laying around that you end up unable to use - unless you buy more funbucks. So in the end they scheme out a tiny percentage of extra money from everyone.

It's a hideous concept and I'm pretty sure MS was supposed to go into court for it in the US.

That's why you buy points on sale. The amount you save is almost certainly going to be more than the leftover amount in your account. If the cards were in terms of say, $20 credits instead of 1600 points, I don't think they'd be on sale nearly as often.

Arteen on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i would like to scrap the ms points/bw points if it meant that the uk's mighty currency might be leveraged to afford me more DLC for less money

Nuzak on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mass Effect anime movie? Could be decent. At least it shows that EA and BioWare have plans for the Mass Effect universe past ME3.

Arteen on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Summer 2012?

That's well after ME3 is released...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope it's about Zaeed's early years.

It probably won't be, but no harm hoping, right?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope it's about Zaeed's early years.

It probably won't be, but no harm hoping, right?

That could be great.

Zaeed's first "impossible" mission. Him and five improbable anime war story stereotypes.

The pacifist, the angry girl, the shouty guy, you know, all the standards.

As usual, he's the only one to get out alive.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Could be awesome. It'd need some serious work on the plot though. There are holes I tolerate in videogames that I don't in movies...

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Halo anime doesn't exactly fill one with great hopes, mind.

And yeah. Lot of petty, minor things that get plastered over with gunfire and Shepard being a bitch. Hate to think how nasty they could get if unchecked.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I doubt it would be about Shepard at all.

Bioware seems to have this thing about not having Shepard be in any of the non-video game media.

Probably because they don't want to say that any choice made was the definitive choice or some such.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    The Halo anime doesn't exactly fill one with great hopes, mind.

And yeah. Lot of petty, minor things that get plastered over with gunfire and Shepard being a bitch. Hate to think how nasty they could get if unchecked.

Some of the Halo ones were hilarious though - the Akira Toriyama ep was awesome.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    man i dunno about this whole anime dealio

my experiences with animated spinoffs of my favorite IPs don't tend to be very positive.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Btw, if I'm on Steam the game will patch itself, correct? And to get dlc I need to go to the social.bioware site, right?

Found a patch for ME2. I'm assuming Steam will take care of ME1 patching. Registered ME2 on the social.bioware site. Cannot find link there to register ME1. Do now know where to find the promo codes in Steam to get "buy it new" DLC for ME1. Likewise for the EA Download Manager and ME2.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does anyone want my ME2 code?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I haven't been following any ME news lately but this image sparked my interest. It shows a world burning with the reapers closing in. I also remember some video about a sniper in some ruins and I just wanted to ask if it's been confirmed anywhere that we're going to do a lot of urban combat in ME3?

I think I would prefer that over the corridors

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is it possible to fake out the Long service medal achievement in ME2 in order to get the bonus on your first playthrough by downloading savegames?

Vic on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vic wrote: »
    Is it possible to fake out the Long service medal achievement in ME2 in order to get the bonus on your first playthrough by downloading savegames?

probably.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

probably.

My further experiments seem to indicate that it isn't :(

Vic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Found a patch for ME2. I'm assuming Steam will take care of ME1 patching. Registered ME2 on the social.bioware site. Cannot find link there to register ME1. Do now know where to find the promo codes in Steam to get "buy it new" DLC for ME1. Likewise for the EA Download Manager and ME2.

Ended up on the phone with EA support. The guy manually installed remotely Cereberus Network into my ME2 game. Neato. Neither him nor his supervisor could figure out where to register ME1's CD key nor how to go about getting Bring Down the Sky. Pretty funny/sad.

edit: evidently they sent me a $20 coupon as apology. Nice. So basically ME1&2 free. Except I'm buying DLC with the coupon (shadow broker and kasumi). :P

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

probably.

guess its achievement related then? it shouldn't be..

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

probably.

guess its achievement related then? it shouldn't be..

The wiki says it is. That means I guess I would have to find a savegame that has not finished the final fight and go through it to get the achievement, which seems too much of a bother. Guess I will have to play the game for real without tons of free money then :(

Vic on
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Having a problem with ME2(PS3). LotSB.

I'm at the bit about five minutes before the door defence sequence and need to lower the flaps(or whatever they are), but the control panel next to them can't be manipulated. Anyone seen this before?

The sad thing is that this is my second playthrough on PS3 and I had no problem with this first time round.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Neli wrote: »
    I haven't been following any ME news lately but this image sparked my interest. It shows a world burning with the reapers closing in. I also remember some video about a sniper in some ruins and I just wanted to ask if it's been confirmed anywhere that we're going to do a lot of urban combat in ME3?

I think I would prefer that over the corridors

2ii76gx.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhahahahaha sucks to be you cote d'ivoire.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Honk wrote: »

I haven't heard of the court case, but if it exists, Bioware needs to go to court as well, because it's the same model, but manages to be worse--Bioware has fewer sales, far fewer things to buy (MS points go as an additional method of purchase for the Zune Video and Music store, as well as the entirety of Xbox Live, compared to....DLC for a handful of Bioware games), and you can't buy it in increments either.

To make matters worse, as far as I can tell, you can only buy Bioware points from Bioware. I can buy MS points from pretty much any place that sells video games at this point, and the these places have actually heard of the concept of having sales. Can Bioware points be purchased from anywhere but Bioware? And do the prices actually change? To my knowledge, no to both. If you CAN buy them elsewhere, that's a step in the right direction, at least....

Really, MS' system is bad, but Bioware is just fucking evil with theirs. Comparing the two, MS funbucks are an actual exchanged foreign currency, whereas Bioware funbucks are Chuckie Cheese tokens or something.

EDIT: I was about to say "I wish they could adopt Sony's system"--except the Sony store is still pretty unintuitive, and I've heard too many horror stories and warnings to want to give Sony my credit card information, meaning I have to buy Sony funbucks as well. So much for that.

Synthesis on