As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Garrus, Liara, Kaiden and Colonel Sanders in ME3

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There is only one acceptable music response to a Reaper invasion of Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caw2yCcyWGQ

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfLEc09tTjI

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Neli wrote: »
    I haven't been following any ME news lately but this image sparked my interest. It shows a world burning with the reapers closing in. I also remember some video about a sniper in some ruins and I just wanted to ask if it's been confirmed anywhere that we're going to do a lot of urban combat in ME3?

I think I would prefer that over the corridors

shep

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhahahahaha sucks to be you cote d'ivoire.

kinda liking the more global focus on earth's destruction

america has some cool landmarks for aliens to destroy but you can only see a headless lady liberty before you long for a wrecked paris or humbled dubai

Fortunately, Lady Liberty's head is safe with David.

And the Mona Lisa, if Goto is smart, is resting over Shep's booze cabinet.

i forgot about that!

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, I forget: What was the difference between Firewalker and Firepower?

Assuming I'm missing one of them, will downloading the game through the DA2 promotion make that pack available on my Steam copy too?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Firewalker is the vehicle pack that comes free with the Cerberus Network on all copies, Firepower is the 3 weapons for $2 that you only get from buying DA2 from the EA store.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    -Tal wrote: »
    I like to imagine Shepard is just floating in space there

staring angrily at the camera

*gasp for breath*

"not this shit again"

Nuzak on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Invisible wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    I can't remember how it works with Bioware funbucks but Microsoft funbucks is built up in a way that you always have a small excess of funbucks laying around that you end up unable to use - unless you buy more funbucks. So in the end they scheme out a tiny percentage of extra money from everyone.

It's a hideous concept and I'm pretty sure MS was supposed to go into court for it in the US.

I haven't heard of the court case, but if it exists, Bioware needs to go to court as well, because it's the same model, but manages to be worse--Bioware has fewer sales, far fewer things to buy (MS points go as an additional method of purchase for the Zune Video and Music store, as well as the entirety of Xbox Live, compared to....DLC for a handful of Bioware games), and you can't buy it in increments either.

To make matters worse, as far as I can tell, you can only buy Bioware points from Bioware. I can buy MS points from pretty much any place that sells video games at this point, and the these places have actually heard of the concept of having sales. Can Bioware points be purchased from anywhere but Bioware? And do the prices actually change? To my knowledge, no to both. If you CAN buy them elsewhere, that's a step in the right direction, at least....

Really, MS' system is bad, but Bioware is just fucking evil with theirs. Comparing the two, MS funbucks are an actual exchanged foreign currency, whereas Bioware funbucks are Chuckie Cheese tokens or something.

EDIT: I was about to say "I wish they could adopt Sony's system"--except the Sony store is still pretty unintuitive, and I've heard too many horror stories and warnings to want to give Sony my credit card information, meaning I have to buy Sony funbucks as well. So much for that.

Sony's system charges you only what you spend, UNLESS it's <$5. So if you buy $21.79 worth of stuff, that's all they charge you, but if you buy $3.25 they charge you $5. Now that excess amount is put into your wallet, but it's still rather irritating.

That doesn't surprise me. I'd be more inclined to use it personally if it wasn't for the fact that the idea of giving Sony my credit card number rubs me the wrong way. To be fair, I don't want to give Microsoft (or, for the matter, Bioware) my credit card number either if I can help it, but I've dealt with Sony before when my PS2s crapped out. Last thing they need is my credit card information, the one time I bought PSN DLC I purchased a $10 card at a store.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That doesn't surprise me. I'd acknowledge it as superior, if it wasn't for the fact that the idea of giving Sony my credit card number rubs me way the wrong way. To be fair, I don't want to give Microsoft (or, for the matter, Bioware) my credit card number either if I can help it, but I've dealt with Sony before when my PS2s crapped out. Last thing they need is my credit card information, the one time I bought PSN DLC I purchased a $10 card at a store.

There's gotta be more of a story there...

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Jazz wrote: »
    That doesn't surprise me. I'd acknowledge it as superior, if it wasn't for the fact that the idea of giving Sony my credit card number rubs me way the wrong way. To be fair, I don't want to give Microsoft (or, for the matter, Bioware) my credit card number either if I can help it, but I've dealt with Sony before when my PS2s crapped out. Last thing they need is my credit card information, the one time I bought PSN DLC I purchased a $10 card at a store.

Eh, like most stories of fear, it's boring, and consists of me freaking out with Sony customer support over the phone. It was in the same period I lost 3 PS2s in 4 years due to various errors.

More relevantly, since I own ME2 on PC, I need to stock up on more Bioware points to get Arrival, but given the response, I don't mind taking my time (by comparison, I got LotSB literally the day it dropped).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Eh, like most stories of fear, it's boring, and consists of me freaking out with Sony customer support over the phone. It was in the same period I lost 3 PS2s in 4 years due to various errors.

More relevantly, since I own ME2 on PC, I need to stock up on more Bioware points to get Arrival, but given the response, I don't mind taking my time (by comparison, I got LotSB literally the day it dropped).

Fair enough. I worked game retail until shortly after the 360 launch. It was astonishing how many dead PS2s I saw. People often dismiss it as anecdotal now since there wasn't anything as iconic as the 360's Red Ring of Death to mark it, but the failure rate - at least on all but the last model of big PS2 - was at least as bad in my experience.

I'll just quickly reiterate the second part of my Bioware point-buying experience: trying it at an off-peak time (11:30pm Mountain time), it worked flawlessly.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUO_5EALZoM

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxqW0Clok7U

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ding ding ding

Jack Pot

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Between the announcement trailer, and the Gameinformer cover, I think it's more like "Do fear the Reapers."

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stolen from gaf who apparentally stole it from Gamefaqs
    Got my new Game Informer, read the ME3 article. Game starts with Shepard on Earth, effectively on trial in regard to the events of Arrival, and in the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade. Prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and off to start finding those allies, fighting Reaper troops (husks of all the different species) the whole way.

Confirmed squadmates: Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if he's alive) and... James Sanders... That must be the guy from the trailer, I don't remember.

Speaking of which, there's a screenshot of Ashley with her hair down, and she actually looks hot. Don't have a scanner, so wait till someone with one turns up.

Confirmed to appear, but not guaranteed as squaddies: Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson. Obviously, if they live.

The game will by default feature a "previously on Mass Effect" comic to make decisions with if starting from scratch.

The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard. Reason why is unknown at this point.

The RPG elements are being beefed up, not going back to ME1, but giving more freedom with the character skills. Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering even more freedom. Weapons are ME2 style, with a set list, but mods make a return, not in the ME1 style, but allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and its appearance.

All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. Only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once. Probably means Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will be limited to two, and Vanguard and Infiltrator will have three.

Also mentioned: The game will have numerous endings, some good, some bad, and who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit can have a drastic effect on which are available.

That's basically the gist of it, except for the sidebars filled with stuff everyone already knows.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing: Confirmed NO MULTIPLAYER. They're talking about future games and/or spinoffs having it, but not this time.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is Sanders a colonel?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HOLY SHIT WANT.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Is Sanders a colonel?

HE BETTER BE

here's the thread on gamefaqs case anyone was wondering

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sounds good so far.

Whelp.

Should probably play the arrival for my other files at some point.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Here's the Ashley pic

Snapshot_20110407_1.jpg

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard. Reason why is unknown at this point.
    Lame. I thought we could still be on good terms with TIM.
    All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. Only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once. Probably means Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will be limited to two, and Vanguard and Infiltrator will have three.
    This sounds great.

Arteen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    When a Thresher Maw comes out of the ground and attacks the Reaper. The Thresher gets the upper hand by coiling itself around the Reaper, then drags it underground. It gets quiet, and seems to be over, then laser fire begins erupting from the ground, and Shepard decides this is a good place not to be. It then trails off into a description of how everything is so much bigger than the previous games.

holy shit

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wonder how Tal is going to feel about Cerberus trying to kill him.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Grr Bioware you teases I shake my fist at you for obvious reasons.

Want more info NAOW

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    When a Thresher Maw comes out of the ground and attacks the Reaper. The Thresher gets the upper hand by coiling itself around the Reaper, then drags it underground. It gets quiet, and seems to be over, then laser fire begins erupting from the ground, and Shepard decides this is a good place not to be. It then trails off into a description of how everything is so much bigger than the previous games.

holy shit

That is like...Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus level crazy.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ...that must be one fucking enormous Thresher Maw, or one pussy of a Reaper. Seriously, a moderately-well armed attack vehicle, or three people on foot, can wipe out one.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stolen from gaf who apparentally stole it from Gamefaqs
    Got my new Game Informer, read the ME3 article. Game starts with Shepard on Earth, effectively on trial in regard to the events of Arrival, and in the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade. Prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and off to start finding those allies, fighting Reaper troops (husks of all the different species) the whole way.

Confirmed squadmates: Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if he's alive) and... James Sanders... That must be the guy from the trailer, I don't remember.

Speaking of which, there's a screenshot of Ashley with her hair down, and she actually looks hot. Don't have a scanner, so wait till someone with one turns up.

Confirmed to appear, but not guaranteed as squaddies: Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson. Obviously, if they live.

The game will by default feature a "previously on Mass Effect" comic to make decisions with if starting from scratch.

The RPG elements are being beefed up, not going back to ME1, but giving more freedom with the character skills. Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering even more freedom. Weapons are ME2 style, with a set list, but mods make a return, not in the ME1 style, but allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and its appearance.

Also mentioned: The game will have numerous endings, some good, some bad, and who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit can have a drastic effect on which are available.

That's basically the gist of it, except for the sidebars filled with stuff everyone already knows.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing: Confirmed NO MULTIPLAYER. They're talking about future games and/or spinoffs having it, but not this time.

I have only one thing to say.

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Also, hooray for the return of Ashely and the other squadmates!

Ad astra on
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ...that must be one fucking enormous Thresher Maw, or one pussy of a Reaper. Seriously, a moderately-well armed attack vehicle, or three people on foot, can wipe out one.

Get the fuck out of here with your logic and facts.

Emporium on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ad astra wrote: »
    I have only one thing to say.

shutupandtakemymoneylim.jpg

Also, hooray for the return of Ashely and the other squadmates!

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think thresher maws are allergic to Shepard

Sole Survivor background

String of dead ones in ME1
    (Kahoku's team got owned by one)

Grunts mission

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I wonder how -Tal is going to try to justify TIM continuing to attack humans while the reapers are attacking?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Emporium wrote: »

My work here is done.

As for TIM, this is actually the least surprising thing--ME2 did a great job setting him up as a potential bastard arch-nemesis, in addition to just a general bastard who was bankrolling you. A perfect preview, really.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm giddy, I'm honestly giddy, it's like everything I wanted for ME3 is coming true. The return of old squadmates, beefed up RPG elements, weapon customization! I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it!

Ad astra on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is it November yet?

I'll have to take the week off when ME3 is released.

Orca on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

My work here is done.

As for TIM, this is actually the least surprising thing--ME2 did a great job setting him up as a potential bastard arch-nemesis, in addition to just a general bastard who was bankrolling you. A perfect preview, really.

I know that I was definitely ready to do something to him, after railroaded into being his bi- lapdog

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That all sounds fucking amazing, just one minor point.

WHY IS TALI NOT MENTIONED GODDAMNIT.

I swear if she is relegated to an email I'ma kneecap someone. I don't care what you guys think, Tali is the best. THE BEST.
    I WAS FAITHFUL, DAMNIT!
    at least in my first playthrough

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

My work here is done.

I know that I was definitely ready to do something to him, after railroaded into being his bi- lapdog

He made you into a bisexual pet?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cyphr wrote: »

I swear if she is relegated to an email I'ma kneecap someone. I don't care what you guys think, Tali is the best. THE BEST.
    I WAS FAITHFUL, DAMNIT!

I imagine the official Bioware forums are going to be even more of a cesspool than usual until some clarification about her status is released.

Emporium on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I WAS FAITHFUL, DAMNIT!

Hence my comment earlier.

They'll keep her under wraps for as long as possible just to make the fanbase squirm. Announcing Garrus at this point is just a further tease.

Jazz on
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I WAS FAITHFUL, DAMNIT!

Hence my comment earlier.

They'll keep her under wraps for as long as possible just to make the fanbase squirm. Announcing Garrus at this point is just a further tease.
    I like the cut of your jib.
    what's a jib

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png