As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragons Nest] New Nexon MMO Open Beta starts today!

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Looks fun but UGH Pando!

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Here's a skill planner for anyone else getting close to 15

http://dnarmory.com/skill-calc

It turns out just a couple points in the wrong place can royally fuck you over from the better skills. Whoops!

Good thing you get a respec every time you branch off.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    There is a direct download here if your computer is allergic to pando, like mine.

http://download2.nexon.net/Game/DragonNest/FullVersion/DragonNestSetupV05.exe

• Options
    Scosglen wrote:
    There is a direct download here if your computer is allergic to pando, like mine.

http://download2.nexon.net/Game/DragonNest/FullVersion/DragonNestSetupV05.exe

BAH already started DL, ah well I have removed Pando before can do it again.

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    so the game has suddenly stopped displaying the name of loot overhead of loot when it drops. Is this suppose to happen? Or did I push something I shouldn't have on the keyboard...

edit: nvm, it's back, that was weird...

double edit: now it's gone again! whatever...

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    The alt key toggles nameplates for items on the ground.

• Options
    ZombieSheepZombieSheep Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to keep those low grade ores or other seemly random monster drops? I'm running out of inventory space already.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jenny and that blacksmith guy are the best NPCs ever.

This game is excellent so far. Between this and Rusty Hearts, my free time is now occupied.

EDIT: So here's some random thoughts before I kill this boss.

Reinforce your shit. This has been stated already, but just do it and don't ask questions. All of those set items that they give you for quest rewards at the beginning? Toss that nonsense out of the window and pay Barin or whatever his name is just a handful of coppers to enhance your crap up to at least +6. This will give you stats far and away better than even the set bonuses that you'd get for collecting all of the garbage that they give you for completing quests.

I'm talking enough stats to boost your health and mana into the thousands, plus enough extra weapon attack to double or triple your damage. Get that shit done, bros, and lay waste in the name of Mordor.

The dialogue is great. David kicks Bang Shishigami levels of ass.

Combat is brilliant. I have a Cleric and he's doing a surprising amount of damage with stuns all over the damn place. It's like a mix of Vindictus, regarding the camera angle and unique approach that a 3D battlefield gives you, with some DFO in there as far as skills and abilities go.

There's tons more to talk about, but it's best to just hop in and try this for yourself. There are some typos and really weird Engrish at times, but it was nothing distracting. Despite a few flaws here and there, Dragons Nest possesses an impressive amount of polish. The graphics are charming, the monster designs are often outright horrifying, the combat is incredible, and there's a sense of humor here that will literally make you laugh out loud if you're insane like me.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    Jenny and that blacksmith guy are the best NPCs ever.

This game is excellent so far. Between this and Rusty Hearts, my free time is now occupied.

EDIT: So here's some random thoughts before I kill this boss.

Reinforce your shit. This has been stated already, but just do it and don't ask questions. All of those set items that they give you for quest rewards at the beginning? Toss that nonsense out of the window and pay Barin or whatever his name is just a handful of coppers to enhance your crap up to at least +6. This will give you stats far and away better than even the set bonuses that you'd get for collecting all of the garbage that they give you for completing quests.

I'm talking enough stats to boost your health and mana into the thousands, plus enough extra weapon attack to double or triple your damage. Get that shit done, bros, and lay waste in the name of Mordor.

The dialogue is great. David kicks Bang Shishigami levels of ass.

Combat is brilliant. I have a Cleric and he's doing a surprising amount of damage with stuns all over the damn place. It's like a mix of Vindictus, regarding the camera angle and unique approach that a 3D battlefield gives you, with some DFO in there as far as skills and abilities go.

There's tons more to talk about, but it's best to just hop in and try this for yourself. There are some typos and really weird Engrish at times, but it was nothing distracting. Despite a few flaws here and there, Dragons Nest possesses an impressive amount of polish. The graphics are charming, the monster designs are often outright horrifying, the combat is incredible, and there's a sense of humor here that will literally make you laugh out loud if you're insane like me.

Really? From what I seem of the intro quest line for cleric and sorceress, it's basically incompetence: the game. Side characters seem generally better because they are not invested in the stupid that is the main plot. I assume the Swordman/Archer starting quest line is much better from what I little I get to see so far.

Also I find the monster design to be on the cute side so far (I want a plushie of those dog head ball thingy), how far in till you encounter the horrifying stuff?

• Options
    It really is Incompetence: The Game over there. They can't fucking do anything right and the sorceress is a bitch to you 24/7 despite not actually doing anything of worth.

The monster design is largely cute and... anime, y'know? Some of the more demonic creatures and the trolls and stuff looked surprisingly grim for the setting. I suppose "horrifying" isn't the right word to use. Just surprisingly detailed and bad ass. If I wanted nightmarish and creepy, I'd probably play Requiem, but... yeah, it's better if no one plays that.

• Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Eww...Requiem...

I want to put a drill in my head to remove the memory of that game.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well so far the Archer questline has been mostly trying to rescue a damsel in distress, with some help from her scared yet brave love interest. Side quests have involved a Shopkeeper who cannot cook [And nearly kills the smith's pet dogs with her food] that is in love with the local guard captain and just recently I am saving the grandchildren of a Orc.

Also in as Skydancer the Archer on Argenta

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Has anyone taken it upon themselves to get a guild up. If not, do we have a name that we like?

I'd like to get some Abyss difficulty runs going, as the game is pretty damn easy in the normal difficulties, but I have a hard time playing with the random unwashed masses.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    It's a small thing, but I appreciate that they've randomized the atmosphere effects for the dungeons to a degree. When you've got to run them multiple times, seeing the same old sunny sky gets tremendously boring.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Requiem really was just diarrhea chili topped with severed penis heads. I loved the creature design and the idea of cleaving through Clive Barker's notebook doodles, but it really is the worst kind of free MMO experience.

Anyway, my enjoyment of the NPC interaction came from dealing with Jenny, who is so depressed and despondent that she's moments away from murdering everyone, and the blacksmith, who literally is batshit crazy. I had heard that term before, but never truly seen it with my own two eyes. That dude has some serious issues. I think he may just be older than the hills and in a position to do whatever he wants whenever it comes it mind.

Then there's David, who is the best character ever and I haven't even met him, yet. The sorceress girl, Cynthia, is a complete cunt through and through. She has a few moments where that's almost endearing, though.

The cleric trainer I keep taking quests from really is a useless fucking lump. He gives me cool stuff and trains me to slam evil, but I miss the quests in DFO where you run dungeons with an NPC who is literally The Baddest of All Asses, King of Ass Pounder Mountain and Lord of Critical Dick Punches. I want this trainer to accompany me and essentially solo the armies of Heaven by himself. Pull your fucking weight, dude. I don't want to be doing all of this shit on my own, you lazy, goat-buggering eproctophile.

As you can tell, I've played DN for all of about two hours. My impressions may change dramatically, but I'll wait and see.

• Options
    Well on the Archer side, Timothy the guy who has been finding the Damsel in distress [named Rose] for me actually got her out of the hands of a Minotaur before I kicked the Minotaurs ass, Then I have to rescue them both except ...
    Timothy dies saving Rose before she is flown away by big red bird thing that killed Tim, Poor poor Tim. He has been looking for Rose despite his fear since the game began and just after he gets the courage to save the Girl, SPLAT!

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Who-Psyd wrote:
    Well on the Archer side, Timothy the guy who has been finding the Damsel in distress [named Rose] for me actually got her out of the hands of a Minotaur before I kicked the Minotaurs ass, Then I have to rescue them both except ...
    Timothy dies saving Rose before she is flown away by big red bird thing that killed Tim, Poor poor Tim. He has been looking for Rose despite his fear since the game began and just after he gets the courage to save the Girl, SPLAT!

And that is why Swordman/Archer side is better than the Cleric/Sorc side, npc actually try to do something about their problem. Npc on Cleric/Sorc side is just like, we'll hold on to this and keep it safe no worry
    sorry we lost it in the span of 2 second while you were away, better go get it again!
    The leader cleric guy (not trainer) does get one decent line about the dragon cultists if you are a Sorc.

ZombieSheep on
  • Options
    Yeah, just hit 10 on my archer, and the quests are actually pretty fun. the combat is leaps ahead of early game vindictus, which was basically spam left clicking. also, I have onyx fragments coming out of my ass, anyone know when I can use them? also, is there a storage area?

I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    Onyx fragments are used to craft crests (think glyphs from WoW if you played that, stat buff/skill buff slots you unlock as you level) which you'll learn to craft when you get to the next big town.

They're also used to upgrade items past +8, which I heartily recommend trying if you have multiples of the same piece of gear (in case it's destroyed). I managed to get a piece of armor up to +11 earlier today.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    Finally got to Priest and respecced for pure magic.

So much lightning

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Clerics get a pretty baller AOE lightning thing early on that's pretty effective for fucking stuff up. I like the electrocution debuff in this even if it's not the game-breaking powerhouse that it is in DFO. Between the immobilize from my lightning abilities and the stun proc from my mace, instance runs aren't nearly as painful as they could be.

My only gripe so far pertains to the constant loading screens. You get a long one at the beginning, then after you've logged in, you get yet another. Then you fiddle around for under thirty seconds in town, head out for another load screen, reach the field area, run to an instance portal for another load screen, then you're actually killing stuff.

Maybe a minute later, you're looking at a load screen. Then you kill more stuff. Load screen. Boss room. Kill stuff. Slowly wait for the instance to wrap up and give you your rewards Vindictus-style. Back to another load screen as you enter the main town or whatever. Repeat. Again and again.

I wouldn't mind these loads if they didn't take so fucking long. It's not like they're a minute or more, but they're just long enough to piss me off.

• Options
    Oh man, I just found an epic quality earring in an end of level chest that has 34 intellect on it. That's more than the rest of my sorceress' gear combined. Drool.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    I can't believe it took me this long to realize why I liked the poochums so much. They're literally squigs :3

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    OK, I tried a solo abyss run of the Assassin's Den. Was not able to finish.

F87 on
  • Options
    F87 wrote:

Soloing Master is pushing my skills so I would think even trying abyss alone would be suicide.

• Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Anyone else had problems with the control scheme? I got into the first town and couldn't get the controls to a satisfactory position so I just logged out in disgust the other night. Not being able to overwrite keys and having to choose accept after changing tabs every time was annoying. I tried getting my PS3 gamepad configured, but the camera for right analog wouldn't work properly. It kept wanting to look up and to the right into the sky when pressing right.

For the KBM controls I'm not allowed to change the battle shortcuts, or map any of the quickbar buttons to my mouse, and half of the keys I seemed to try were invalid for remapping keys to, etc. And I also like having strafe/turn mapped to both Q/E and A/D like in WoW, as depending on what quickbar buttons I need to press, I end up changing which one I'm using, etc. -- but you can't have it mapped to more than one thing.

Seems very typical that every "free" MMO I've tried has been synonymous with poor half-assed design work. (Just tried Eden Eternal before this one ... shudder...)

• Options
    Is anyone playing on the West Coast server? I'm an alone and guildless level 12 cleric...

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Who-Psyd wrote:
    F87 wrote:

Soloing Master is pushing my skills so I would think even trying abyss alone would be suicide.

Master is a joke with upgraded gear. My lv10 archer has around 2300 hp and only the toughest enemies hit for over 100 at the moment, and that's if they can even get to me. Longbow is broken as hell, free piercing shot every 2-3 shots, makes killing the hordes of mobs so easy. Just got to assasins Den, will maybe try it on abyss tommorow.

Also, my leveling has slowed to a crawl. Maybe it's because I ran out of prw, but it takes sooo long to level now. I just wanna hirry up and hit 15. :(

double also, is mana a joke for anyone else? I have 2k+ mana and my abilities cost...like..nothing. I literally spam them and my bar pretty much never moves. Potions seem pretty pointless, but maybe it's just because I'm still low level. But I don't see ability mana costs shooting up so much that it would be noticeable.

Minerva_SC on
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Spamming abilities as fast as I can ends up burning maybe 1/3 of my mana before the end of a master.

Abyss comes close to chewing it up all by the boss if I don't hold back some.

Archer probably wouldn't have to worry as much though, and from watching some of those endgame korean videos, it looks like mana is never a problem for anybody high enough :P

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Most abilities only draw ~3% of your base mana, and upgraded equipment makes your mana pool damn near quadruple. I think it's a little broken.

• Options
    Addendum to earlier:

Just finished a run of assassin's camp now that I'm 15 and never dropped below 90% of either, so yeah, mana stays a joke once your not 5 levels below the recommended lol.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Seconding the "Sorceresses and Clerics are incompetent" thing. At least it's a bit cathartic since for all their assholeishness, it's obvious they're not nearly as good as they think they are. A small army of sorceresses get their asses kicked by goblins. And the clerics spend the introduction sequence taking red shirt levels of casualties.

Also, there's some genuinely funny dialogue options you can choose, where you slyly call them on their bullshit.

I like the Cleric trainer though. Leonard, or whatever his name is. He sounds so bored and uninterested in what's going on, like he's above all this crap.

"PEACE BE WITH YOU, WALK WITH BLAH BLAH BLAH."

Archonex on
  • Options
    JediNight wrote:
    Anyone else had problems with the control scheme? I got into the first town and couldn't get the controls to a satisfactory position so I just logged out in disgust the other night. Not being able to overwrite keys and having to choose accept after changing tabs every time was annoying. I tried getting my PS3 gamepad configured, but the camera for right analog wouldn't work properly. It kept wanting to look up and to the right into the sky when pressing right.

For the KBM controls I'm not allowed to change the battle shortcuts, or map any of the quickbar buttons to my mouse, and half of the keys I seemed to try were invalid for remapping keys to, etc. And I also like having strafe/turn mapped to both Q/E and A/D like in WoW, as depending on what quickbar buttons I need to press, I end up changing which one I'm using, etc. -- but you can't have it mapped to more than one thing.

Seems very typical that every "free" MMO I've tried has been synonymous with poor half-assed design work. (Just tried Eden Eternal before this one ... shudder...)

The control rebinding system is pretty shitty. I'll definitely give you that. I almost gave up on the game from the beginning after trying to rebind everything, but if you can tough it out past that there's a great game waiting.

What helped me was taking a chunk of buttons I wanted to rebind, and binding them to the insert/home/pageup and so on keys, then using the keys you just freed up to bind other stuff, and so on, rotating around until you have everything on the key you want it. It still doesn't recognize extra mouse buttons, but it's better than nothing.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    Anyone from Europe managed (or failed) to play?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Use a 3rd party key binding program like Joy2Key or something if you really demand extra mouse button functionality. Personally I find the default control scheme works fine. The only issue I have is reaching to hotbar keys further away than 5, which is where I simply put my support abilities/items, keeping my combat abilities in 1-5.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    After about five hours straight, I can say this game is pretty fun. The combat is no Vindictus, mind, but its engaging enough that I just sat here for five hours. So I can't complain. I'm just really bummed I missed out on the permanent dragon wings because I couldnt play the first day due to work.

My only complaint is having no idea how to build my character. Skill points seem very limited and it seems like I'm apt to somehow screw myself out of a proper build with even one or two mistakes.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Yeah, the 360 controller is great at default settings. Everything works fun, maybe a bit clunky but I'm used to it.

And I hit level 10 on my warrior, Equiped the full set of gear I found, enhanced every piece to +6 and pretty much doubled my HP to 3200. @_@

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    9 1/2 archer, have a full set of the thin leather gear waiting for me when I hit 10. SO EXCITE.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Minerva_SC wrote:
    Who-Psyd wrote:
    F87 wrote:

Master is a joke with upgraded gear. My lv10 archer has around 2300 hp and only the toughest enemies hit for over 100 at the moment, and that's if they can even get to me. Longbow is broken as hell, free piercing shot every 2-3 shots, makes killing the hordes of mobs so easy. Just got to assasins Den, will maybe try it on abyss tommorow.

Also, my leveling has slowed to a crawl. Maybe it's because I ran out of prw, but it takes sooo long to level now. I just wanna hirry up and hit 15. :(

double also, is mana a joke for anyone else? I have 2k+ mana and my abilities cost...like..nothing. I literally spam them and my bar pretty much never moves. Potions seem pretty pointless, but maybe it's just because I'm still low level. But I don't see ability mana costs shooting up so much that it would be noticeable.
    My first Master Run was actually unupgraded gear, the crap from Quests mostly. That took a bit though my combos were silly high.

Anyone else finding it easier to get a better grade on levels the higher the difficulty is set? I do not think I have gotten less then SSS on a Master run yet.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    combo probably plays into rank, and you get better combos when there's more things to hit that can take more hits

jCyyTSo.png