As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Armored Core 5 - You got Chromehounds in my AC!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I should have never clicked on this thread. Luckily it's sold out in the non-gamestop stores close to me.

Could order it from Amazon with next day delivery like I just did.

I am weak.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I have been driving all over for work since 5 AM. I'm looking forward to some mech action!
    Also, guys...
    More Teams are wanting to know good conquest times. Give me a heads up on what time period you might be playing on. I can then pick a popular hour and send that info out to them.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I, unfortunately, only play during the day est since I work overnight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i found this for $40 online, of course i had to get slow ass shipping so i'll be getting it a week from now.
    very excited to make my own gundams

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    I'll be playing some tomorrow. Could not get into the mechin' mood today.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'll be on today probably around 4 est. It's been awhile since I've hit the gym, so I'm gonna do that when I get out of work.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I'll probably be on around either 6 central or around midnight. We need to invade!

Story Mission 03 (or is it 02) - the one with the train - was pretty tough. Took a while to beat.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    How many order missions are there?

Pretty much just running through those right now, trying to get the store full.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    I think 81 is the last Order Mission. Or 83. One of those.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    PSN Folks: Sorry I wasn't on last night. Was super tired, had an early evening. I should be good to go tonight though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've realized that I suck at making AC's that use energy weapons.

I do all the things that make sense, but it just never works out well.

Anyway, question:

Are the contents of the shop based entirely on your team rank (+ those gear piles, or whatever, you find), or is it based on team rank + stuff unlocked via completing missions? Do you even unlock gear from just completing story or order missions?

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    How many order missions are there?

Pretty much just running through those right now, trying to get the store full.

00 or 01 to 83 order missions. 00-09 story missions.
    Grislo wrote: »
    I've realized that I suck at making AC's that use energy weapons.

I do all the things that make sense, but it just never works out well.

Anyway, question:

Are the contents of the shop based entirely on your team rank (+ those gear piles, or whatever, you find), or is it based on team rank + stuff unlocked via completing missions? Do you even unlock gear from just completing story or order missions?

I've seen mixed things on this. Almost universally people are saying team level 50 is where parts stop unlocking in the shop.

Collecting scrap in the story missions does unlock parts. I can confirm it does having collected some scrap in a handful of missions and seeing you've gained X part come up. Some places say you eventually get all the remaining parts in the shop by beating all story and order missions though, meaning you can ignore the scrap. I've beat all story and order missions but have yet to check the parts I have unlocked are the same as the scrap parts. Someone linked this a few pages ago; handy guide for finding all scrap piles if you'd rather unlock these parts that way, or if it turns out we must unlock the parts that way.

If beating all the order and story missions truly does give you access to all the parts in the game, then I know there is still one part it does not. The last Ultimate Weapon, the giant missile launcher thing. I have the other four UW's but still lack that one. According to the, very brief, armored core wiki you need to do something in one of the story missions where an optional/hidden boss(es) show up. Something to do with the Zodiac crew from the later order missions. Beat that boss/those bosses, beat all story missions, and beat all order missions to unlock it. If anyone has done this I'd love to know what story mission to play and what the requirements are to do it. I checked over the weekend but couldn't find the missions and requirements to try it. Oh, and if you preordered from gamestop, and redeemed your assault weapon pack, you already have that UW.

• Options
    If anyone needs a mercenary, I'm mercing it up in an effort to regain at least my B rank. Kain3k on the PSN

• Options
    s1ppycups1ppycup Registered User regular
    I got the missile UW in the Heavy Assault Pack day-1 DLC. I didn't preorder, either -- I got it a few days after it came out. I just asked if they could give me a DLC code if I preordered something else (Dragon's Dogma <3) This was at an Electronics Boutique.

GTA V (PSN): chingrimach
    LoL: s1ppycup
    BF3 + 4: Hardon_Edgewise (PC)
    MH3U: s1ppycup (WiiU)
  • Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    Shouldn't have read this thread.

It's been since PS2 Armored Core 2(?) that I've played this series. Appears that everyone is won over almost immediately regardless of experience.

Might be seeing other PS3ers soon... just jump in head first online or do a tutorial?

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options
    Cincitucky wrote: »
    Shouldn't have read this thread.

It's been since PS2 Armored Core 2(?) that I've played this series. Appears that everyone is won over almost immediately regardless of experience.

Might be seeing other PS3ers soon... just jump in head first online or do a tutorial?

There isn't much of a tutorial, nor is it all that helpful. You might want to do a few story missions and a few dozen order missions before trying the online aspects, but you'd want to do so after joining a PA Team just to give them some team points, I'd think.

I hope more and more people get this, though, as the population being so low really does make it hard to get into stronghold missions. Has anyone noticed much of a trend in when the primetime for battles is? My team has four territories, but can't ever seem to get into stronghold missions because we're rarely on together, and don't really know when invasion primetime is.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I should have never clicked on this thread. Luckily it's sold out in the non-gamestop stores close to me.

I am weak.

But then the receipt would be in my wife's targeting reticle.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

I am weak.

But then the receipt would be in my wife's targeting reticle.

That's what visual chaff is for, duh

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I picked this up last night and I'm down for some PA team action. I definitely thought this game was Front Mission, not Armored Core - that is, I got them confused. Regardless, robot combat with online play is awesome so I'm stoked.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ok, so I noticed parts have conditions, maybe someone can give some clarification?

You start off with Junk, which I'm sure just mean its stats are lower than standard

but when I was looking in the shop, all the body parts were labelled as Repaired, is that the standard? Are these the only two conditions for body parts?

And then weapons have Performance, which I'm guessing increases over time as you keep using that particular weapon? Can armor get a Performance rating?

And I guess that's the bad thing about the GameStop pre-order pack, all the weapons are labeled as Add-on, so they can't actually gain performance, meaning eventually if you like a weapon, you need to actually buy it to make it better

so even though I have the Mass Blade from the DLC code, hopefully I can still unlock the legit one

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Surashu_SpectreSurashu_Spectre Registered User new member
    Signed up with the PSN group under the pilot name Zetta. My number is 07 apparently! Was with a random group previously but I'd like to play with you guys. I have a mic but no clue why it's screwing up on me so I'm currently without voice. Willing to do anything but OP

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Oh man, I want to buy this now. I remember how badly Chromehounds tanked in the end though. This makes me wary.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
    I normally don't play with you folks because, well I am a loner. :(

But man, oh man, does this thread ever make me want to bring my ball to the playground and play!!

Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158
  • Options
    Ok, so I noticed parts have conditions, maybe someone can give some clarification?

You start off with Junk, which I'm sure just mean its stats are lower than standard

but when I was looking in the shop, all the body parts were labelled as Repaired, is that the standard? Are these the only two conditions for body parts?

And then weapons have Performance, which I'm guessing increases over time as you keep using that particular weapon? Can armor get a Performance rating?

And I guess that's the bad thing about the GameStop pre-order pack, all the weapons are labeled as Add-on, so they can't actually gain performance, meaning eventually if you like a weapon, you need to actually buy it to make it better

so even though I have the Mass Blade from the DLC code, hopefully I can still unlock the legit one

Repaired is just another part grade, above junk.

Performance is related to the weapon specialization you choose when buying a part (Power, Accuracy, Rapid Fire, etc.) and the bar fills as you use a part that you bought. The exact increases are random, so leveling several of the same part can be advantageous. Weapons need not be used or even equipped to gain "experience," they just need to be on your AC for the mission (IE you can assign a part to a bay and never swap to it).

Only weapons have performance bars, though, and then only R/L weapons, not shoulder or overed weapons.

• Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote: »

Performance is related to the weapon specialization you choose when buying a part (Power, Accuracy, Rapid Fire, etc.) and the bar fills as you use a part that you bought. The exact increases are random, so leveling several of the same part can be advantageous. Weapons need not be used or even equipped to gain "experience," they just need to be on your AC for the mission (IE you can assign a part to a bay and never swap to it).

Only weapons have performance bars, though, and then only R/L weapons, not shoulder or overed weapons.

From what I've been hearing, weapons reach full experience after 7-9 missions, with potentially 10 different growth rates for each stat affected. Basically, some people have been buying multiple versions of the same weapon, with the same specialization on each one, attempting to get a 9 mission version with the best growth rate in their chosen stats, then selling everything that has gained too much experience from the first mission.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    Kainy wrote: »

From what I've been hearing, weapons reach full experience after 7-9 missions, with potentially 10 different growth rates for each stat affected. Basically, some people have been buying multiple versions of the same weapon, with the same specialization on each one, attempting to get a 9 mission version with the best growth rate in their chosen stats, then selling everything that has gained too much experience from the first mission.

Yeah part growing... part gardening? Whatever, seems like a kind of long-term goal. Kind of nice to have those in a game like this where it's largely the same stuff over and over in between capture/defense missions.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I understand that you get more parts available as your team levels up, but how can you tell which was unlocked? Our team is 100+ and I cannot tell which stuff was unlocked during level 10, 20, etc. I figured I'd have to do more single player missions to get to higher tier stuff, but that might not seem the case. Hopefully that makes sense.

• Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Shit I totally missed out on this release. Picked it up for ps3 and loading it up now. Looking forward to smashing robot dudes with you gents.

Edit: And I can't seem to find the team in the search list. Welp.

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    I understand that you get more parts available as your team levels up, but how can you tell which was unlocked? Our team is 100+ and I cannot tell which stuff was unlocked during level 10, 20, etc. I figured I'd have to do more single player missions to get to higher tier stuff, but that might not seem the case. Hopefully that makes sense.

You should have access to everything in the store. Usually there are 2-3 parts per subtype per generation - IE two or three first generation gatling guns, and then 2-3 more second generation. There really are only two "tiers" of parts, for the most part, AFAIK. Then there are the parts you find in missions, which are usually pretty good, stat-wise.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Selecta wrote: »
    Shit I totally missed out on this release. Picked it up for ps3 and loading it up now. Looking forward to smashing robot dudes with you gents.

Search for "mechanic" and you'll find it.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    Soooo, I picked it up for 360. Digitalwolfe.

• Options
    Oh my god I've done everything wrong. Accidentally skipped the intro mission, joined WANG 2 and it looks like I skipped my opportunity to understand ANYTHING AT ALL.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Na, when you go to the map, on one of the territories there's a tutorial mission you can select

also as you do the first few Order missions, they give you little tutorials on things

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Shaftoe47Shaftoe47 Registered User regular
    We are getting attacked rt now and I can't join to defend our terry cuz the server is fubar. Fuuuuggggddzzzz

• Options
    ad hominidad hominid Registered User regular
    Hey all, long time AC fan and I do love me some penny arcade. Can I join WANG 2 on 360? Some of my bros are kind of dropping the ball on making a team with me on this game and I figured a forum lurker should ask permission.

• Options
    Ah, Armored Core, you assume I am Japanese and genetically hardwired to know how to operate robots.

• Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    skyknyt wrote: »
    Selecta wrote: »

Search for "mechanic" and you'll find it.

Ah there it is, thank you. Enlisted! :)

MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    Really didn't see a difference in maneuverability moving from medium to heavy legs but I got a higher load limit and way more AP, seems like a no brainer.

Also Blitz I should be on more over the weekend, hopefully get some co-op missions going. Work presentations being all time consuming right now.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    Noticed during mission completions, there is a section marking the number of sub-missions completed. The first couple I've done, I keep missing the objects of the sub-missions. Is there a trick to this? Don't notice anything while in scan mode.

Good thing the first couple of missions give assistance on the controls. Finally understand how to swap weapons.

Looking forward to teaming up with other but I definitely need to run through more solos first to get a handle on what the hell I'm doing.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options
    Most of the order sub missions are to complete within a certain time and below a certain damage threshold.