Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Suds wrote: »
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Yep, all of L4D1 is in the sequel now (except for the visible legs! ]:< )

No visible legs? Weren't they visible in L4D1 and 2?
    Visible in L4D1, but not in 2.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    So, the X series is on sale. People who have played them, let's say I'm a blubbering idiot who tried to play an X game once and had no idea what he was meant to do and gave up after twenty minutes of thrashing around space., but I still am honestly feeling tempted because I want some Space, damn it. Which one would you say is more accessible and all-around best entrance point?
    Go for Terran Conflict and grab some mods and scripts, then set yourself up with an hour or two of playtime, activate the cheat script one dude developed and just fuck around. The game's actually not that complicated once you break it down, and the reason it seems to be is just because there's so much stuff. That and some severe gameplay balancing issues with certain value groups like ship speeds and the like, but mods can take care of that (which reminds me that I haven't looked at the Shuffle for at least 6 months, I don't even know if it's compatable at this point).

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    oakke wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking this Grimrock game would be better if it was turn based?
    Probably.

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking this Grimrock game would be better if it was turn based?

I do but I think "This should be turn based" about almost everything.

I'd like to see more turn based games show up in genres that are traditionally realtime.

A turn based racing game based on random dice rolls and a hand of game-specific cards with RPG elements for upgrading your driver/car is the game I would make if I ever became a guy who makes games.

Ever heard of Car Wars?

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    The hell is spacechem? Do I need a degree to play it?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Amazon sale is up.

• Options

Spacechem is a puzzle game that looks like it's chemistry based, but in reality it's actually a fantastic programming and logic puzzle game.

You start off with relatively easy things - split this molecule into two pieces, put one over here, the other over there - and it gets harder and harder as you go on - take two molecules, break them apart, put them back together in a different way, send the outputs to two different reactors where they get further modified, so that you can make a final molecule at a 4th reactor.

It's such a fantastically ... elegant ... game. I'm pretty sure there's a demo somewhere.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

It takes place in a space chemistry plant, but actually it's a programing/automation puzzle game. You create paths that systems executes to break down and combine chemicals. You need know chemistry knowledge, but you do need patience and a very elastic view of your intelligence.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    So, the X series is on sale. People who have played them, let's say I'm a blubbering idiot who tried to play an X game once and had no idea what he was meant to do and gave up after twenty minutes of thrashing around space., but I still am honestly feeling tempted because I want some Space, damn it. Which one would you say is more accessible and all-around best entrance point?

As mentioned above, Terran Conflict is the one you should get. It doesn't have all the features that the latest, Albion Prelude, has, but AP requires TC, anyway, so if you're only getting one, get TC. If you're getting two, get TC and AP.

Then, watch the first couple episodes of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p73C60btBi8&amp;feature=relmfu

Also as mentioned, the problem with the X series isn't so much that they're difficult, as that the UI isn't the best and there's very little guidance included in the game. It's a very self-directed experience, which is great if you know what you're doing and where you want to go, not so much if you're a flailing newbie.

Also, fuck the guy who has you fire real missiles as part of the combat training. That shit ain't cheap!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The Steam thing must be off. I just realized I have nearly 100 hours in Borderlands and it's only showing a few. Also I must have hundreds in L4D 1 and 2, but it's hardly showing any. A lot of those are on the Mac, but that should still be totaled.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thank god for a new thread... I was afraid to click on the old one at work due to the horrible title showing up in the url.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Definitely not. I tend to prefer games either single-character or turn-based. Managing several people real time seems awkward and to involve a lot of clicking, from the trailer.
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Go for Terran Conflict and grab some mods and scripts, then set yourself up with an hour or two of playtime, activate the cheat script one dude developed and just fuck around. The game's actually not that complicated once you break it down, and the reason it seems to be is just because there's so much stuff. That and some severe gameplay balancing issues with certain value groups like ship speeds and the like, but mods can take care of that (which reminds me that I haven't looked at the Shuffle for at least 6 months, I don't even know if it's compatable at this point).

Might as well. Any suggestions for said mods and scripts?

It's not really very chemistry-based. Rather, it's more about programming and logic gates of a sort. It is a wonderful game, very thoughtful, and the feeling you get when you see your circuits finally working after half an hour of brainstorming is the best.

Be warned, however, that chances are that you will break down in front of your screen, screaming "THERE IS JUST NOT ENOUGH SPACE FOR THAT IN THE REACTOR! WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME!? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM MEEEEEEEEEEeeeeee... *sob*" and throttling your monitor, in some of the challenges. Game is pretty hard.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Amazon sale is up.

Buy CK2, buy CK2, buy CK2.

It wont' be this cheap until the summer sale.

BUY IT DAMNIT

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I'd like to see more turn based games show up in genres that are traditionally realtime.

A turn based racing game based on random dice rolls and a hand of game-specific cards with RPG elements for upgrading your driver/car is the game I would make if I ever became a guy who makes games.

Ever heard of Car Wars?

I have never, ever, ever seen a game cause more ruined friendships or table-flipping rage than that game.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Amazon sale is up.

Let's celebrate!

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Note: Codes are for sale to US only. They should activate for anyone. My apologies in advance if a non-US PAer wins and is unable to activate. I'll have to re-roll.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    I really want to pick up L.A. Noire during the Amazon sale, but the quality of the port concerns me. I've heard horrible things. How bad is it, really?

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The Steam thing must be off. I just realized I have nearly 100 hours in Borderlands and it's only showing a few. Also I must have hundreds in L4D 1 and 2, but it's hardly showing any. A lot of those are on the Mac, but that should still be totaled.

the total played time stat didn't show up till after l4d1 at least had been out for a while. i don't know exactly when it did show up but I know that's why steam thinks I've barely played L4D or earlier games like HL2

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular

Ever heard of Car Wars?

I have never, ever, ever seen a game cause more ruined friendships or table-flipping rage than that game.

edit: Well, Starfleet Battles was intense at times too; but we've since burned all our CW books and pledged never to speak of it again.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lord_Snot wrote: »
    Amazon sale is up.

BUY IT DAMNIT

My standard Curse you regional pricing is a bit louder than usual, alongisde the usual "Curse you, Amazon regional downloads!"
    That actually looks quite fun. And I'm on a bit of a medieval warfare kick at the moment, so the timing is apropos.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Is DoW Retribution in the sale?

I didn't pick it up in the last sale when it was the only time it went below £30.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Amazon sale is up.

BUY IT DAMNIT

My standard Curse you regional pricing is a bit louder than usual, alongisde the usual "Curse you, Amazon regional downloads!"
    That actually looks quite fun. And I'm on a bit of a medieval warfare kick at the moment, so the timing is apropos.

Actually, if you make an account saying you're from the USA with a USA address and everything, they let you buy the regional downloads. I'm from Europe, made an account to get Civ V for a pittance last huge sale, and it worked. You could try that. Might take a bit of fiddling around to make it stick, but it definitely works.

Drascin on
  • Options

Ever heard of Car Wars?

Good lord, I love Car Wars. :D

I ... fishtail turn ... which lines up my autocannon ... and ... yep, your car explodes. Nice game!

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Ahhhh, CK2 for $18 is soooooo tempting.

• Options

Dooo eeeeeet!

I'm buying a couple copies for the giftings.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Iolo wrote: »
    Amazon sale is up.

Let's celebrate!

signature.png

Note: Codes are for sale to US only. They should activate for anyone. My apologies in advance if a non-US PAer wins and is unable to activate. I'll have to re-roll.

Excellent! Definitely gonna enter this one, I keep hearing about how fantastic it is from a coworker. Thanks!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Excellent! Definitely gonna enter this one, I keep hearing about how fantastic it is from a coworker. Thanks!

I've been playing it lately myself. It's basically Zelda as seen by the character designers of Warhammer, with a very slight sprinkling of DMC in the combat.

And more Zelda style games are never bad.

EDIT: Also, does CK2 activate on Steam?

Drascin on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Couldn't you see Ellis' legs and stuff in L4D2?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular

Buy it.

I'm gonna go ahead and post my recommendation from Steam.
    Have you always wanted to play Medieval Total War, but with more depth? Then buy this game. With this, you can wage huge wars, assassinate rivals, rebel against your liege, create titles, and most importantly, weave a soap opera around your characters.

The characters and dynasties this game creates, are very detailed, and hugely fun to play. Just an excellent game, and one of my favourite games so far this year.

Also, don't be intimidated by it being a Paradox game, they've really scaled back the stats in this game, so it no longer seems like you're playing Microsoft Excel. If you can handle a Total War game, you can handle this.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

AAaaaah.... fuck you Amazon for regional restrictions!

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Yeah, I probably will buy it. I'm a huge medieval history fan, so this sounds like more or less the perfect game for me. Is is Steam-activated?

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Amazon sale is up.

BUY IT DAMNIT

Actually, if you make an account saying you're from the USA with a USA address and everything, they let you buy the regional downloads. I'm from Europe, made an account to get Civ V for a pittance last huge sale, and it worked. You could try that. Might take a bit of fiddling around to make it stick, but it definitely works.

I tried it a couple of sales back, and in order:
    1. Amazon wouldn't let me buy it
    2. My bank rang to say that they'd blocked my card, because it seemed to be tied to a US billing address, and could I please confirm who i was?
    3. Amazon sent me a slightly ticked off email telling me (I paraphrase) not to be naughty.

This, and the refusal of some game codes from Amazon not being activatable on Steam outside the US, have made me a bit risk-averse.
    Maybe if someone's up for a bit of data smuggling. ;-)

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    To the best of my knowledge, only Civ V didn't activate outside the US.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Yes, CK2 is Steamworks.

• Options
    PluffPluff BrazilRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nicely done, @Iolo.

Pluff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Has the Classy Crab disappeared from the OP or is it just me that can't see it?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Let's celebrate!

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Oooh, that's very nice of you.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Has the Classy Crab disappeared from the OP or is it just me that can't see it?

Still there for me!

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Ctrl-F5 saves the day!

Got worried for a moment there.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Docken wrote: »
    Happy Easter everybody!

signature.png

signature.png

EDIT: Hmm I managed to create it such that it doesn't begin in 4 hours... damnit!

Ok mine can be entered now!

• Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    Hey, could someone invite me to the steam group? For some reason I thought I was in it already.

This discussion has been closed.