Options

Strength.Training.Guile. [Mass Effect].The Special Tasks Group needs you.USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Padok Wiks hates Gilbert & Sullivan

this is why Padok Wiks is great

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    I didn't see this posted here from the G&T thread, but it's pretty good stuff
    Neli wrote: »
    Maybe this was posted but a guy over on the SA forums interviewed one of the writers and he clarified a lot of the ending. Spoilers, obviously:
    Possibly interesting new information here!

Okay, here is what I asked Patrick Weekes, and his answers as best as I can remember them. I've paraphrased but I'm doing my best to stick to what he said rather than introduce any interpretation.

THESE ARE NOT DIRECT QUOTES.

-Is there still a setting to explore after the ending? Is everything ruined?

The setting is definitely not ruined. We still have a big, lively galaxy.

-Will long-distance superluminal travel still be possible post-Ending? (will Tali or Wrex or Garrus see their homeworlds again? Will everyone starve?)

Galactic civilization will rebuild. The mass relays were not necessary for interstellar flight. Remember, what does it say in the Codex about the speed of ships? That's right, 12 lightyears per (day? hour? minute?). And that's only the cruising speed, not the maximum speed.

People have never needed to research basic FTL improvements before because they have mass relays. With the relays gone, new technology will increase that speed. Additionally, the element zero cores of the dead/controlled Reapers can be used to improve FTL drives. :siren:Starflight will continue using conventional FTL.:siren:

-Why did Joker leave Shep behind?

Joker would never abandon Shep without a good reason. Hopefully this will be clear in the Expanded Cut.

-Why can EDI survive the Destroy ending?

We argued a lot about this, I said that she was made of Reapertech and should therefore be destroyed, but (unclear, don't remember - wish I'd been able to ask a followup as his response doesn't make much sense)

-Did anyone on the Citadel survive?

Yes. We would never, ever do anything that made the player feel, on replay, that it would be better for everyone on the Citadel if they just died. The Citadel has emergency shelters and kinetic barriers - even if it blows up, millions might survive. :siren: You should assume that everyone plot-important on the Citadel survived. :siren:

-Is it better for Kelly Chambers if we talk her into suicide?

No, see above.

-Who wrote the death of Joker's sister?

I did! We intentionally did not connect the dots. We were very interested to see how fast gamers figured it out.

-Whose idea was it to make the Rayya fall out of the sky if you destroy the Quarian fleet?

Someone in the audio department, it was brilliant.

-Did the mass relays pull an Arrival and go supernova?

No, they didn't. (i'm paraphrasing here, please don't interpret this too hard) They overloaded, they didn't rupture. :siren:We really didn't mean to imply that the whole galaxy had been destroyed. People interpreted the ending in ways we really didn't expect. :siren:

(Mr. Weekes dropped a lot of hints that he really didn't like the ending. He also said something that was almost 100% verbatim from the Penny Arcade Forum post often attributed to him)

-Why did Legion pull a 180 from his Mass Effect 2 philosophy?

He and the Geth were backed into a corner. They'd been made a lot dumber by the attack on the Dyson swarm. There was no other choice for Geth survival.

-What was up with the Rachni story? Why did we get railroaded?

Welcome to game development. In some games (Alpha Protocol) they make a bold choice where some decisions can knock entire missions out of the story. At BioWare, we never want people to be locked out of content due to a decision several games ago. We just didn't have the resources to do an alternate for the Rachni mission, so we decided that the Rachni mission could occur whether or not players saved the Queen.

-Why didn't (X squadmate from ME2) return?

There was a very ugly month of development where we fought out who would return. We knew we had to have a smaller cast so we could fit in more squad banter. Eventually we decided to bring Garrus and Tali back, so they could be squadmates in all three games. We also knew we'd have Vega in order for new players to have someone dumber than they were.

I was very resentful of Vega at first because I thought he was taking a slot that could've gone to a ME2 character, but he grew on me.

-Why did EDI have cameltoe?

We don't get a lot of feedback from the art department but (unclear, wish I remembered this better :( )

Lots of discussion about how he was uncomfortable doing Pinocchio stories for both Legion and EDI because 'EDI was fine, she was an AI, she was cool - do we really need her to turn into Commander Data? We had seven seasons of Data, that was enough.'

-Why did you write Pinocchio stories for all the synthetic characters?

See above

-What was up with the Human Reaper in ME2? Why did it look so dumb?

We wanted to use the Suicide Mission to show several steps of the Reaper development process, from human reaper embryo all the way to cuttlefish. But the mission grew too complicated so it was cut for time.

Do the Reapers really only generate one capital ship per cycle? How do they ever break even?

Well, we never totally pinned that down. But this cycle was really anomalous. They don't normally take any capital-size Reaper losses at all.

-What was up with Kai Leng? How do you feel about him?

We really wanted to have a recurring antagonist for Shep, a 'Darth Maul' (his words). But I feel like there was some definite conflict between cutscene and gameplay there, and I think it's something we have to work on.

'He was a great antagonist in the books' :lol:

-Why did we only get top and bottom dialogue choices, no middle?

Part of it was resources. Part of it is that Mass Effect 3 is a war story and it's really hard for Shep to feel middling about the Reapers.

-How did YOU feel about the ending?

(I didn't ask this, but he seems to have gone to GREAT lengths to think ways around a lot of stuff the ending implied.)

Why no female (alien X?)

Resource limitations. They have a very strict budget for how many different characters they can use in a given area. Some are basically free - if you have human males you have Batarians because they're humans with funny heads, if you have human females you have asari, etc.

Where was Harbinger? Can we ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL of him?

I definitely want more closure on Harbinger. That'd be hilarious. Stop punching yourself, Harbinger.

How did the Reapers storm the Citadel? Why didn't they shut down the relays as per their original plan once they had control?

Originally we planned to have a cutscene of Reapers taking over, Reaper monsters punching buttons, et cetera. But we cut it, partially for resource reasons and partly because it disrupted the pacing.

The Reapers didn't shut down the mass relays because the Keepers interfered with that. (I wish I could've asked a follow-up here, it doesn't make much sense.)

Why don't Ken and Gabby have more dialogue?

They actually have a bunch more on disk, but we somehow introduced a bug where their dialogue is tied to your approval level with Ash. If Ash has low approval, or isn't present, most of Ken and Gabby's dialogue won't play.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    salarian engineer is super boring when your team isn't huddled in an entrenched position

but when you gotta defend a point it feels so good

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    So many things there make sense but were not shown at all in the game.

Maybe that's why BioWare didn't realize the end sucked so hard, because they knew about the things that got cut and so could piece together the nonsense in a way people who came to it cold could never do.

The fact that taky spending ten minutes explaining things provides more coherent narrative closure than a fucking ten hour third act ever did is pretty damning.

That said, there's an awful lot of hand waving. Just assume everyone's OK. Yeah, I'll get right on that, thanks.

• Options
    I don't know, I just assumed a lot of that stuff, especially re:
    the mass relays

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It's nice to have confirmation though

Also nice to know that it might well be in the Extended Cut.

Aw yeah

Gonna rub that all over myself

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    also that was a pretty shitty interview

either buy a tape recorder or learn to take notes

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Hellbore wrote: »
    I didn't see this posted here from the G&T thread, but it's pretty good stuff
    Neli wrote: »
    Maybe this was posted but a guy over on the SA forums interviewed one of the writers and he clarified a lot of the ending. Spoilers, obviously:
    Possibly interesting new information here!

Okay, here is what I asked Patrick Weekes, and his answers as best as I can remember them. I've paraphrased but I'm doing my best to stick to what he said rather than introduce any interpretation.

THESE ARE NOT DIRECT QUOTES.

-Is there still a setting to explore after the ending? Is everything ruined?

The setting is definitely not ruined. We still have a big, lively galaxy.

-Will long-distance superluminal travel still be possible post-Ending? (will Tali or Wrex or Garrus see their homeworlds again? Will everyone starve?)

Galactic civilization will rebuild. The mass relays were not necessary for interstellar flight. Remember, what does it say in the Codex about the speed of ships? That's right, 12 lightyears per (day? hour? minute?). And that's only the cruising speed, not the maximum speed.

People have never needed to research basic FTL improvements before because they have mass relays. With the relays gone, new technology will increase that speed. Additionally, the element zero cores of the dead/controlled Reapers can be used to improve FTL drives. :siren:Starflight will continue using conventional FTL.:siren:

-Why did Joker leave Shep behind?

Joker would never abandon Shep without a good reason. Hopefully this will be clear in the Expanded Cut.

-Why can EDI survive the Destroy ending?

We argued a lot about this, I said that she was made of Reapertech and should therefore be destroyed, but (unclear, don't remember - wish I'd been able to ask a followup as his response doesn't make much sense)

-Did anyone on the Citadel survive?

Yes. We would never, ever do anything that made the player feel, on replay, that it would be better for everyone on the Citadel if they just died. The Citadel has emergency shelters and kinetic barriers - even if it blows up, millions might survive. :siren: You should assume that everyone plot-important on the Citadel survived. :siren:

-Is it better for Kelly Chambers if we talk her into suicide?

No, see above.

-Who wrote the death of Joker's sister?

I did! We intentionally did not connect the dots. We were very interested to see how fast gamers figured it out.

-Whose idea was it to make the Rayya fall out of the sky if you destroy the Quarian fleet?

Someone in the audio department, it was brilliant.

-Did the mass relays pull an Arrival and go supernova?

No, they didn't. (i'm paraphrasing here, please don't interpret this too hard) They overloaded, they didn't rupture. :siren:We really didn't mean to imply that the whole galaxy had been destroyed. People interpreted the ending in ways we really didn't expect. :siren:

(Mr. Weekes dropped a lot of hints that he really didn't like the ending. He also said something that was almost 100% verbatim from the Penny Arcade Forum post often attributed to him)

-Why did Legion pull a 180 from his Mass Effect 2 philosophy?

He and the Geth were backed into a corner. They'd been made a lot dumber by the attack on the Dyson swarm. There was no other choice for Geth survival.

-What was up with the Rachni story? Why did we get railroaded?

Welcome to game development. In some games (Alpha Protocol) they make a bold choice where some decisions can knock entire missions out of the story. At BioWare, we never want people to be locked out of content due to a decision several games ago. We just didn't have the resources to do an alternate for the Rachni mission, so we decided that the Rachni mission could occur whether or not players saved the Queen.

-Why didn't (X squadmate from ME2) return?

There was a very ugly month of development where we fought out who would return. We knew we had to have a smaller cast so we could fit in more squad banter. Eventually we decided to bring Garrus and Tali back, so they could be squadmates in all three games. We also knew we'd have Vega in order for new players to have someone dumber than they were.

I was very resentful of Vega at first because I thought he was taking a slot that could've gone to a ME2 character, but he grew on me.

-Why did EDI have cameltoe?

We don't get a lot of feedback from the art department but (unclear, wish I remembered this better :( )

Lots of discussion about how he was uncomfortable doing Pinocchio stories for both Legion and EDI because 'EDI was fine, she was an AI, she was cool - do we really need her to turn into Commander Data? We had seven seasons of Data, that was enough.'

-Why did you write Pinocchio stories for all the synthetic characters?

See above

-What was up with the Human Reaper in ME2? Why did it look so dumb?

We wanted to use the Suicide Mission to show several steps of the Reaper development process, from human reaper embryo all the way to cuttlefish. But the mission grew too complicated so it was cut for time.

Do the Reapers really only generate one capital ship per cycle? How do they ever break even?

Well, we never totally pinned that down. But this cycle was really anomalous. They don't normally take any capital-size Reaper losses at all.

-What was up with Kai Leng? How do you feel about him?

We really wanted to have a recurring antagonist for Shep, a 'Darth Maul' (his words). But I feel like there was some definite conflict between cutscene and gameplay there, and I think it's something we have to work on.

'He was a great antagonist in the books' :lol:

-Why did we only get top and bottom dialogue choices, no middle?

Part of it was resources. Part of it is that Mass Effect 3 is a war story and it's really hard for Shep to feel middling about the Reapers.

-How did YOU feel about the ending?

(I didn't ask this, but he seems to have gone to GREAT lengths to think ways around a lot of stuff the ending implied.)

Why no female (alien X?)

Resource limitations. They have a very strict budget for how many different characters they can use in a given area. Some are basically free - if you have human males you have Batarians because they're humans with funny heads, if you have human females you have asari, etc.

Where was Harbinger? Can we ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL of him?

I definitely want more closure on Harbinger. That'd be hilarious. Stop punching yourself, Harbinger.

How did the Reapers storm the Citadel? Why didn't they shut down the relays as per their original plan once they had control?

Originally we planned to have a cutscene of Reapers taking over, Reaper monsters punching buttons, et cetera. But we cut it, partially for resource reasons and partly because it disrupted the pacing.

The Reapers didn't shut down the mass relays because the Keepers interfered with that. (I wish I could've asked a follow-up here, it doesn't make much sense.)

Why don't Ken and Gabby have more dialogue?

They actually have a bunch more on disk, but we somehow introduced a bug where their dialogue is tied to your approval level with Ash. If Ash has low approval, or isn't present, most of Ken and Gabby's dialogue won't play.

well that explains why I never heard anything from ken and gabby

• Options
    also Taky should've punched that guy

all good interviews end in violence

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Graal Spike Thrower VI
    Geth Plasma Shotgun VIII
    Turian Soldier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

fuck you I don't even have one Graal

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    So hey, anyone up for some origin asskicking? Pub groups seem to be full of terrrrible people today(like every day)

• Options
    I wish you could craft weapons

oh and also hats

and then I want to paint the hats

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I really, really wish you could trade weapons

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    No dude, my Widow is worth at least a Carnifex II and a Locust III

• Options
    If you give me your Valiant I can paint gold
    trust me

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    RE: That interview (ending stuff)
    There were dots to connect to Joker's sister being dead? Last I remember he was hopeful because she was a teenager and the survivors from Tiptree didn't include adults

• Options
    There were dots to connect to Joker's sister being dead? Last I remember he was hopeful because she was a teenager and the survivors from Tiptree didn't include adults

The PTSD Asari in Huerta Memorial talks about it
    and then taky straight up said it in a post a while ago

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I think I missed this part entirely

anyone mind elaborating?

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    PTSD Asari in Huerta Memorial. She's got a great ambient to listen to.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    interview talk (warning shoe: includes talking about the ending!!)
    that was pretty disappointing

a lot of just kinda glossing over things, handwaving stuff away

like everyone actually survived the citadel getting attacked and exploding after all? really?

I mean it's not his fault, god damn I would hate to be put on damage control for that ending

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

ambient dialogue spoiler
    the PTSD asari in the hospital killed his sister

the asari only names her once or twice and it may have been deep in the conversation line but i dont remember

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I think I missed this part entirely

anyone mind elaborating?
    The PTSD Asari mentions murdering a teenage farmgirl on Tiptree so a banshee wouldn't find them.

The girl's name was Hilary. She wanted to be a pilot.

• Options
    You know, I think a lot of people don't pay attention to the ambient conversations

and it's a shame, because they're some of the best in the game

Can't believe how many people missed
    Conrad Verner's talks about thermal clips and conversation trees

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    You know, I think a lot of people don't pay attention to the ambient conversations

and it's a shame, because they're some of the best in the game

Can't believe how many people missed
    Conrad Verner's talks about thermal clips and conversation trees

I think its a bug that he wont show up at all / if you do a batarian fetch quest too quickly

I think

but yeah the ambient dialogue is amazing, there was one I couldn't listen to though
    the old lady in I think the first or second act trying to find out about her son and she can't remember that she's already asked like a million times and her son is super dead

because mental illness scares the shit outta me

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

ambient dialogue spoiler

the asari only names her once or twice and it may have been deep in the conversation line but i dont remember
    Oh fuck.

I went all the way through that ambient dialogue because a friend pointed out how good it was, but I had long forgotten the details of the farm girl.

Goddamn.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Maybe that's why BioWare didn't realize the end sucked so hard, because they knew about the things that got cut and so could piece together the nonsense in a way people who came to it cold could never do.

The fact that taky spending ten minutes explaining things provides more coherent narrative closure than a fucking ten hour third act ever did is pretty damning.

That said, there's an awful lot of hand waving. Just assume everyone's OK. Yeah, I'll get right on that, thanks.

Yeah, uh, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that everyone is dead, because that is what the game shows

Sorry Taky, that shit just don't fly

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

like everyone actually survived the citadel getting attacked and exploding after all? really?

I mean it's not his fault, god damn I would hate to be put on damage control for that ending

In fairness
    there's no indication the Citadel was ever actually attacked - just closed up and carried off. We're given no sign that Reaper ground forces have stormed the Citadel

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Taky's explanation is what I'd already worked out the first time I saw the ending

the dumb Endor Holocaust crap is just an excuse to nitpick it beyond the point where it needs to be complained about

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

ambient dialogue spoiler

Oh fuck.

I went all the way through that ambient dialogue because a friend pointed out how good it was, but I had long forgotten the details of the farm girl.

Goddamn.

Yeah I didn't catch it the first time through either, if I would have felt really bad for a bit

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

In fairness
    there's no indication the Citadel was ever actually attacked - just closed up and carried off. We're given no sign that Reaper ground forces have stormed the Citadel

except for
    the dead bodies all over the place when you get up there

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Man if y'all want to bitch about your degrees, I've got one in culinary arts

It's just about the most useful education you can have

And it pays for shit. Even with job experience.

So now I'm going back to school for something else, blaaah.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

In fairness
    I'm pretty sure there's a shot of a pile of dead folks towards the end though

still, no reason to assume it's ALL the people on the citadel

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Yeah, uh, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that everyone is dead, because that is what the game shows

Sorry Taky, that shit just don't fly
    Exactly. If everyone is actually not dead, then that big explosion was just for effect. It was the shallowest kind of spectacle, with zero emotional weight. An excuse to show off some nice particle effects. That makes it worse.

It's absolutely a retcon. I mean, aside from Mac Walters literally saying 'nah, everyone's dead' on twitter like a day after launch, there's no way they intended that to be the case.

The_Scarab on
  • Options

In fairness

did you miss the part in the ending where
    you walk through a hallway literally piled with corpses? I thought it was fair to assume that almost every corridor was similar to the one I walking through

but I guess not

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Anyone who wants to play MP on PSN today @Kochikens me thanksthanks

• Options
    Whoa holy shit what is that huge fucking spoiler in the post above me
    Thanks.
    I havent beat the game yet.

SO.
    Thanks.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Taky's explanation is what I'd already worked out the first time I saw the ending

the dumb Endor Holocaust crap is just an excuse to nitpick it beyond the point where it needs to be complained about

There's the immediate 'Endor holocaust' worry, which I never really bought into

But I did pretty much immediately start to wonder
    about everyone starving to death in orbit without enough fuel to get home and Earth to wrecked to provide meaningful infrastructure

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    huh, yeah

what the fuck are you guys doing

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    seriously fuck you guys right now
    fuck

• Options
    tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular
    ending discussion
    Its not a stretch to assume that there are survivors on the citadel, killing everyone in a city that size would take far more time than the reapers had.

nothing terribly surprising in that interview, mostly confirming what I already though.

This discussion has been closed.