Options

The Skyrim thread for adventurers who don't think jokes get funnier the more you tell them

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    The whole thing with complaining about how MMOs could be better if they played like action games, is that a lot of people don't necessarily want to play action games in their MMOs.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    The whole thing with complaining about how MMOs could be better if they played like action games, is that a lot of people don't necessarily want to play action games in their MMOs.

But when your entire hook is 'Here is a game based on the series you love', it's a bad move to have it play bugger all like the games your entire market enjoys.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    TESO is pretty dumb, but I was referring more to the complaining about the skill bar last page.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I tend to view people actually liking the way MMOs play as sort of a stockholm syndrome thing

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    yeah it's weird how companies are looking at WoW and going "yeah we can do that"

and totally ignoring how the fifty or so odd clones have all failed

Well, it seems to work out for Bioware.

Yah the Clones have "failed" but the companies that produced many of them are still making money and people are still playing them.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I tend to view people actually liking the way MMOs play as sort of a stockholm syndrome thing

:^:

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    but dichotomy doesn't like anything that other people like

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Don't you tell people to go fuck themselves when they imply playing a renegade Shepard exposes you as a sociopath?

Hobnail on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I was so excited about this, but then hearing things about it.

Sad times.

I have always wanted to play morrowind with other people.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    eh

let's dial it down a bit

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I got the new Game Informer today

yeah, the game looks like an MMO

ahh well

there's still gonna be traditional TES games coming out so I can't say I'm too bothered by it

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I got the new Game Informer today

yeah, the game looks like an MMO

ahh well

there's still gonna be traditional TES games coming out so I can't say I'm too bothered by it

Pretty much. I'll ignore it like I imagine the majority of people will and it will quietly crash and burn and nobody will notice and TES VI will come out and hopefully be awesome.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    yeah i tried to keep my arguments classy except for when i called you all stupid

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    you're stupid

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »

Don't you tell people to go fuck themselves when they imply playing a renegade Shepard exposes you as a sociopath?

no

I say "fuck you", but at no point do I tell people to go fuck themselves
    that's just crass

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    yeah i tried to keep my arguments classy except for when i called you all stupid

Your face is stupid

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    Hey now, WoW got pretty fun with WotLK. They'd gotten it a lot more interactive. Don't know about Cata, I quit playing by that point because I realized much as I enjoy the game, doing the same damn dungeon over and over for two months before you could move on to the next was fucking stupid.

Speaking of, I wonder how awful TES:Os dungeon grinding will be

• Options
    Man TES VI is gonna be years from now. Lots of them.

Excited for DLC stuff as that is usually pretty fantastic

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Cataclysm did bump it up a bit. It was pretty cool.

Still WoW though. Which means I played it for a few weeks before I got bored and quit.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i think a lot of you would probably enjoy wow pvp, but i can completely understand not wanting to level and gear a character to do it

but pvp is pretty much a completely different, way more fun game

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    ur dumb

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    I haven't been able to dedicate myself to an MMO since Ultima Online
    which makes sense because it was actually different from the EQ structure that prevailed and now dominates the entire genre
    also i just can't grindgrindgrind anymore
    i tried TOR, made it maybe a month. I can understand the appeal, any game is fun when played with friends, and mmos you can have some great parties going on. Maybe my problem is that none of my friends have PCs

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    That MMO looks all kinds of mediocre. I can't even fathom why they decided to do this considering every not-WoW MMO released in the last half a decade or longer has failed to meet expectations and most of them barely made enough money to break even.
    People need to stop saying this, because MMOs are basically money making machines with the rise of F2P.

• Options
    The thing that killed WoW for me was that if I wanted to play the game with the SEers, or really do any end-game stuff I would have had to download all this extra junk and play it in a way that exposes all the game mechanics. And you end up playing those mechanics instead of the game.

Basically all of that stuff where you are just messing with numbers and not being involved in a world and story just kills video games for me.

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    That MMO looks all kinds of mediocre. I can't even fathom why they decided to do this considering every not-WoW MMO released in the last half a decade or longer has failed to meet expectations and most of them barely made enough money to break even.
    People need to stop saying this, because MMOs are basically money making machines with the rise of F2P.

Well things are starting to swing a bit, but for a long while there, a bunch of MMOs were launched and failed almost immediately.

Some of them have gone F2P in order to salvage any and all money they could

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Isn't there a large scale lawsuit out right now for a bunch of F2P games? I recall it had something to do with parents getting super mad that their kids had a window of time after purchase where they could rack up bills without any sort of warning.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Isn't that the 'Don't give children your iTunes password you fucking idiots' lawsuit?

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    Hullis wrote: »

Well things are starting to swing a bit, but for a long while there, a bunch of MMOs were launched and failed almost immediately.

Some of them have gone F2P in order to salvage any and all money they could

and it worked better than anyone expected

The best example is LOTRO, one of the first big games to really make the transition

it went F2P in October 2010

by January 2011 the revenue had TRIPLED. And LOTRO was firmly ensconced in the MMO community at the time, even if it didn't have WoW levels of success.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    i think a lot of you would probably enjoy wow pvp, but i can completely understand not wanting to level and gear a character to do it

but pvp is pretty much a completely different, way more fun game

the pvp is what killed it for me, actually

I really liked exploring, seeing the sights, picking up the little bits of lore that are scattered around the world, but ugh people take that shit really fucking seriously and there's not a single level category below the top that isn't chock full of people's twink alts, so there's basically no way to play it unless you've got several characters and you're willing to deal with this problem:
    Artreus wrote: »
    The thing that killed WoW for me was that if I wanted to play the game with the SEers, or really do any end-game stuff I would have had to download all this extra junk and play it in a way that exposes all the game mechanics. And you end up playing those mechanics instead of the game.

Basically all of that stuff where you are just messing with numbers and not being involved in a world and story just kills video games for me.

I am not going to write macros in order to play the game.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    you don't have to do that though
    just... play the game

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    I felt it getting increasingly necessary after around level 35, and increasingly annoying when people playing near/with me would be horrible assholes when they noticed I wasn't using macros for everything or was using a skill wrong or something.

I mean, it's totally fine for people to enjoy it and I did as well for the first couple months.

It's just that the game mechanics got super annoying for me after a while, and got more and more annoying as I got farther and farther in the game. I really want to be forced to aim all my ranged attacks and have a diversity of melee attacks that hit depending on whether my sword makes contact with the enemy rather than whether I am within X range of them and pointed no more than Y degrees away from them.

Clearly that model appeals to millions of people all over the world, so it's not bad, it's just not for me, and it's why I perk up every time I hear about a new MMO and then almost inevitably sit back in my chair and stop caring when I find out it uses the same mechanics.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Dux wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    On the other hand

Enchanting levels really, really quickly now.
    does it now? i was going to write it off entirely this playthrough because grinding that shit was the worst

i'd at least like to get it up to a level that allows for creating serviceable enchantments, if it's less tedious to boost
    I think it does. 25 daggers gave me I think about 50 levels.

That said my memory is pretty bad, but I remember it leveling really quickly.

I think the single most broken thing in Skyrim's crafting system is Banish-enchanted daggers. An iron dagger worth like 10 gold, and a petty soul worth 10 gold (good enough to give a whole whopping 1 banish charge) can create a dagger worth like 1400-1800 gold.

Using petty souls to put waterbreathing on necklaces/rings or muffle on boots is nice too but still nowhere close to banish daggers. I've finished leveling smithing and enchanting a while ago, but I've got a drawer filled with like 180 iron daggers and an assload of gems in case I ever run out of enchanted jewelry to sell. On that point they're worse than rings because almost no one can afford to buy them from you.

• Options
    i don't use a single macro at level 85, on my mage, rogue, or DK
    i guess there's the one that targets the sapper on blackhorn so i can death grip him more easily? but i could just click on him???

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    my most recent skyrim character took advantage of the black briar meadery clerk thing to level speech to 90 so I could sell everything to everyone and didn't have to bother with the thieves guild to fence things

I'd recommend it to everyone

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    i don't use a single macro at level 85, on my mage, rogue, or DK
    i guess there's the one that targets the sapper on blackhorn so i can death grip him more easily? but i could just click on him???

I use macros on any pet based class, but not many

• Options
    Scooter wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    On the other hand

Enchanting levels really, really quickly now.
    does it now? i was going to write it off entirely this playthrough because grinding that shit was the worst

i'd at least like to get it up to a level that allows for creating serviceable enchantments, if it's less tedious to boost
    I think it does. 25 daggers gave me I think about 50 levels.

That said my memory is pretty bad, but I remember it leveling really quickly.

I think the single most broken thing in Skyrim's crafting system is Banish-enchanted daggers. An iron dagger worth like 10 gold, and a petty soul worth 10 gold (good enough to give a whole whopping 1 banish charge) can create a dagger worth like 1400-1800 gold.

Using petty souls to put waterbreathing on necklaces/rings or muffle on boots is nice too but still nowhere close to banish daggers. I've finished leveling smithing and enchanting a while ago, but I've got a drawer filled with like 180 iron daggers and an assload of gems in case I ever run out of enchanted jewelry to sell. On that point they're worse than rings because almost no one can afford to buy them from you.

I was going to say, what the hell good is all this hypothetical money you're making if it's all locked up in a totally illiquid asset?

You know that stream near the forge at the entrance of Whiterun?

There's a fairly substantial pile of Iron daggers down there, poking it's peak out of the river by about half a foot.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    And then the residents of Whiterun all died of metal poisoning.

• Options
    i broke skyrim from modding and so i'm done with skyrim until the dlc

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    This is the first time i'm actually upset by a game announcement
    I mean, i've always seen people cry in horror at game releases set to RUIN THE FRANCHISE
    But I always thought it was insincere/idiocy
    I really don't want them to release a pallid MMO imitation of a series I love that isn't even directed by Howard

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Personface wrote: »
    This is the first time i'm actually upset by a game announcement
    I mean, i've always seen people cry in horror at game releases set to RUIN THE FRANCHISE
    But I always thought it was insincere/idiocy
    I really don't want them to release a pallid MMO imitation of a series I love that isn't even directed by Howard
    If it's any consolation, it's supposed to be set a bit after Daggerfall and won't affect the main series at all.

This discussion has been closed.