As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Priest Talk: I've Tested Positive for Shadow

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    xzzy wrote: »
    Yeah, a good spriest will find a spot in a guild no problem.

There's no shortage of shadow priests right now.. however, a big chunk of them are slobbering retards. Poor damage, too much damage, not listening to instructions.. you name it.

Distinguish yourself as someone with intelligence and you won't have any problems. Shadow priests are in high demand right now.

Yeah. We were actually looking for a shadow priest to raid with us a couple of months ago, and couldn't find one. It was mindboggling. Almost every one of them was wearing low-60 greens. Here we were thinking that all these ex-holy priests would be jumping at the opportunity to pewpew. Apparently they didn't care enough to get off their asses and level tailoring. It really surprised me.

exis on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well I think it's pretty gimpy to demand a class power a tradeskill up to 350 just for a few pieces of armor, no matter how good it is. Running through Karazhan and maybe some arena drops will beef up damage just darn fine, without requiring one to sell their soul.

I'm more worried about what they do on a raid, rather than where they fall on damage meters. If they keep mashing mind flay while gruul rains rocks on them or they get cut in two by leo, show 'em the door.

xzzy on
  • Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A geared, and knowledgable, shadow priest is a real force to be reckoned with as far as raiding goes. Level your ne and put in some time on your gear and such (Lots of great craftables) and you'll have no trouble finding a guild.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well I think it's pretty gimpy to demand a class power a tradeskill up to 350 just for a few pieces of armor, no matter how good it is. Running through Karazhan and maybe some arena drops will beef up damage just darn fine, without requiring one to sell their soul.

I'm more worried about what they do on a raid, rather than where they fall on damage meters. If they keep mashing mind flay while gruul rains rocks on them or they get cut in two by leo, show 'em the door.

Demanding it is terrible. But if there were ever a class to grind a crafting profession, it's them. The tailoring sets are definitely better than Kara gear.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    3-4 points in imp MB is key for proper raid dps. pretty much useless anywhere else.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    3-4 points in imp MB is key for proper raid dps. pretty much useless anywhere else.

I'd really really like to hear your logic behind this. Yes it is a good nuke that can do a lot of damage. But it's also very mana inefficent, which is one of two worries you have as a shadow priest (Mana efficency and aggro).

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Is mana really going to be an issue, with good gear and judgement of wisdom?

Septus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Mana's an issue until you hit 1k damage, or so I've heard.

Even then it's not a sure thing.. that's just when the class matures.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Mana's an issue until you hit 1k damage, or so I've heard.

Even then it's not a sure thing.. that's just when the class matures.

I have much more than 1k damage, it's not an issue like "OH GOD I'M OOM HELP ME" but it is an issue like "I shouldn't waste mana when my dot/mf cycle is keeping me going just fine".

Edit: As for JOW, we have flaky paladins, I reguarly am only getting salv because 1 of our paladins quit recently, the other has been getting his ass kicked at work, and another got a promotion so he spent the past month dealing with that change.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really hate the emphasis on the tailoring for priests, i mean sure the gear is good but it feels more like farming then going into an instance and killing a boss. Most of my gear is alright but as the guild's only spriest, they really love their mana-battery:lol: Mana is not really and issue because I'm in the group with all casters and I find that shaman's totems seem to help the mana issue. Also with two pallies (typically as the healers :|) I get salv and bok and still ok on mana. Its good to be a spriest now.

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's indicative of how much somebody cares about their character. Tailoring is easily levelled, and superior to alternative options from Karazhan. If you're really intent on doing the best you can in a raid, you'll get your tailoring set. If you don't want to do the best you can in a raid, good for you. But why should my guild recruit you?

If they keep mashing mind flay while gruul rains rocks on them, they'll die. Which will reflect on the damage meters. At the end of the day shadow priests are there for 1) mana for their party (which is fairly dependent on)... 2) DPS. Unlike healing/tanking, DPS doesn't really have to do anything to be good. They just need to do good DPS. If they get themselves killed, they do bad DPS. It's alot more cut and dry than say, healers, for which a single meter can't track usefulness to an accurate degree.

exis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    exis wrote: »
    It's indicative of how much somebody cares about their character. Tailoring is easily levelled, and superior to alternative options from Karazhan. If you're really intent on doing the best you can in a raid, you'll get your tailoring set. If you don't want to do the best you can in a raid, good for you. But why should my guild recruit you?

Yeah, no sympathy here. If anyone demanded I dropped engineering (which I've invested gazillions of hours into) or mining (my sole source of income), I'd find another guild to associate myself with. I languished under the "mandatory spec" for over a year on my druid, and hell if I'm going to do that again (much less on something that's going to cost me thousands of gold).

It's stupid to demand, because the improvement over alternatives isn't huge in terms of percentage. Most wipes are caused by inattentiveness, not lack of damage, and issuing an edict that all shadow priests must have 375 tailoring is relying on a crutch.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It's a question of what is reasonable. I could say that the "best" thing for every class in the game, is to get all the best crafted items, from expensive or rare recipes from TK or the Black Temple, and also for alchemists to spend vast quantities of gold creating random potions to discover every flask recipe. Hell, you could also do the accepted practice of requiring everyone to raid 7 days a week.

I don't think it's reasonable to require any shadow priest to drop their current profession and all the effort put into it, to go powerlevel tailoring for frozen shadoweave. And I'm not too familiar with tailoring, but is there any indication that it's higher recipes remain better than TK, even Black Temple loot? What if frozen shadoweave ends up being the best gear, relative to when it's available?

Septus on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    I don't think it's reasonable to require any shadow priest to drop their current profession and all the effort put into it, to go powerlevel tailoring for frozen shadoweave. And I'm not too familiar with tailoring, but is there any indication that it's higher recipes remain better than TK, even Black Temple loot? What if frozen shadoweave ends up being the best gear, relative to when it's available?

I wondered that myself until I saw that they were indeed continuing to put crafting patterns in raids. Only tailors can make Boots of Blasting, for example. One of our mages actually resisted the lure of Spellfire tailoring for months only to finally cave and level it up for those boots and other future BoP stuff in future raids. They really do seem to be making an effort to keep crafting viable, whether it's a good idea or not. (I personally like being able to gear up the raid without relying on random drops and raid lockouts, but at the same time, it's obviously way more fun to get gear from killing bosses than from farming mats.)

Also, when he complained about these non-tailoring shadow priests, it wasn't even that they didn't have tailoring, but they didn't have anything really. We weren't demanding 1k+ shadow pre-raid-gear. But more than 400 would be reasonable. People applying to a raiding guild wearing shitty greens and quest items from Hellfire Peninsula is just awesome.

riz on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    riz wrote: »
    We weren't demanding 1k+ shadow pre-raid-gear. But more than 400 would be reasonable. People applying to a raiding guild wearing shitty greens and quest items from Hellfire Peninsula is just awesome.

Ok, and that seems competely unrelated to levelling tailoring for FSW. That's requiring people to give at least one shit, about their gear.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    They really do seem to be making an effort to keep crafting viable, whether it's a good idea or not. (I personally like being able to gear up the raid without relying on random drops and raid lockouts, but at the same time, it's obviously way more fun to get gear from killing bosses than from farming mats.)

Not a single engineering recipe so far. ;) It's like herding cats trying to get Blizzard to pay attention to engineering.

I don't mind terribly much, as long as I can blow shit up with grenades I'm pretty happy with it.

xzzy on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay, need a little help guys: I have a 70 warrior. But, one of my friends has just started playing WoW and is playing a lock. I'm interested in leveling up a priest with him and I am in need of a good Shadow spec.

I was thinking of this. But any recommendations?

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    We weren't demanding 1k+ shadow pre-raid-gear. But more than 400 would be reasonable. People applying to a raiding guild wearing shitty greens and quest items from Hellfire Peninsula is just awesome.

Ok, and that seems competely unrelated to levelling tailoring for FSW. That's requiring people to give at least one shit, about their gear.

Sounds like the "Raid tonight? No? /log off" type of people. We have those, I hope they get weeded out soon as we begin to move into Mag/SSC.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, we've got some people like that, it pisses me off because we can't afford to lose the players.

Septus on
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If anyone knows Warmaul Hill in Nagrand, with the north cave with the elite ogre in it (Cho'War?), I was mining some ore on the backside of the hill, where it drops steeply off like 2000 feet into Zangarmarsh, and this Tauren drops out of the sky and starts pewpewing me. Mending, shield, MC, off the cliff you go. That never gets old.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    If anyone knows Warmaul Hill in Nagrand, with the north cave with the elite ogre in it (Cho'War?), I was mining some ore on the backside of the hill, where it drops steeply off like 2000 feet into Zangarmarsh, and this Tauren drops out of the sky and starts pewpewing me. Mending, shield, MC, off the cliff you go. That never gets old.

With every new patch it becomes more and more a part of history though.

A 4 second cast with ~30 yard range on a spell that is just as likely to leave your victim floating in the air as they are to fall? Not even worth having on the hotkeys.

Now it's getting a 10 second limit on duration.. so long MC, we'll miss you.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'd really really like to hear your logic behind this. Yes it is a good nuke that can do a lot of damage. But it's also very mana inefficent, which is one of two worries you have as a shadow priest (Mana efficency and aggro).

It's really simple... you're either mind blasting every cooldown, or you're doing less than optimal damage. 3-4 points into the talent (depending on average latency experienced) makes it fit about as well as you'll get into optimal priority cycles -- such that you'd get two flays between a blast if you had no other priority spells to cast.

Mana is a huge issue for me, of course. It should be, because I'm using everything I have available for me every boss fight. What do I do about it? I potion every (EVERY) cooldown, I maximise my shadowfiends, and I curb my DPS if and only if that won't be enough. Dropping down to dots and mind flay exclusively is what you do when you've got nothing left, not what you do all the time. Unless I do something seriously wrong then I can last eight to ten minutes off that, more with group support like an elemental shaman or people running spellsurge.

Unless your tanks are horrible, your only concern should be mana management. There's only one boss fight I've come across where my aggro is a concern -- Void Reaver. I deal with that fight by not casting VE. If the rest of the DPS is spending as much effort as I do on DPS, then I won't be in danger of hitting the aggro threshold until ~10%.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bikkstah wrote: »

With every new patch it becomes more and more a part of history though.

A 4 second cast with ~30 yard range on a spell that is just as likely to leave your victim floating in the air as they are to fall? Not even worth having on the hotkeys.

Now it's getting a 10 second limit on duration.. so long MC, we'll miss you.

I used to be infamous for throwing people off of the Arathi Basin mill cliff on Lightninghoof. That stopped being possible long ago, thanks to that "freeze in the air" bug. Mind Control is honestly one of the main reasons I play a Priest (if Druids had it, I'd have stopped playing priest long ago), so it really bothers me to see it ignored/nerfed time and again. At this point, the spell may as well not exist in PvP. Fortunately, it's still handy in PvE.

If any of you ever played DAoC, try to remember the Mentalist class. That is what I wish Priests were like, albeit leaning a bit more toward healing.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Unless your tanks are horrible, your only concern should be mana management. There's only one boss fight I've come across where my aggro is a concern -- Void Reaver.

Have you ever done prince? I know it's not on the cutting edge or what not, but there are aggro-control fights in this game.

And the mind blast rotations are great damage, but you can't do damage when you're oom.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Unless your tanks are horrible, your only concern should be mana management. There's only one boss fight I've come across where my aggro is a concern -- Void Reaver.

Have you ever done prince? I know it's not on the cutting edge or what not, but there are aggro-control fights in this game.

And the mind blast rotations are great damage, but you can't do damage when you're oom.

Yes, I've done prince (and furthermore, all of karazhan). Never pulled aggro off the tanks on a boss fight.

Done all of Gruul's Lair, Mag, half of SSC too. Aggro is not a concern on bosses there either.

As I said, I use full consumables on all boss fights, and as many mana potions as the duration of the fight will allow (8 minutes = 3-4 potions, etc.). OOMing is not a problem until the fight drags on past ten minutes, unless it hits 13 minutes for a third shadowfiend. The fights where this will realistically occur in 25-mans are not top DPS races -- like Magtheridon after the channelers are down, so curbing around ten minutes in isn't a problem

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    BlueBaronBlueBaron regular
    edited July 2007
    saeris, who was your character on lightninghoof, I also had a priest on it.

BlueBaron on
  • Options
    BlueBaronBlueBaron regular
    edited July 2007
    I also recently got tired of raiding on my rogue, and I have farmed up all the frozen shadoweave/spellstrike gear. Goin into end game raiding, whats generally regarded as a good cycle for shadow dps. always have vamp touch up, ve if the fight isnt threat sensitive? mind blast every cooldown and mind flay elsewise...seems like Im going to have to use a ton of mana pots.

BlueBaron on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    BlueBaron wrote: »
    saeris, who was your character on lightninghoof, I also had a priest on it.

Sidely, dwarf. Almost always with Korvos (human Paladin) and Munkus (dwarf Warrior).

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It's a question of what is reasonable. I could say that the "best" thing for every class in the game, is to get all the best crafted items, from expensive or rare recipes from TK or the Black Temple, and also for alchemists to spend vast quantities of gold creating random potions to discover every flask recipe. Hell, you could also do the accepted practice of requiring everyone to raid 7 days a week.

Well we never told anyone they had to level tailoring. But if they're sitting at +600 shadow, and they want to join our guild, they should level tailoring. Yeah, they don't have to, that's fine. But nor do we have to recruit people that are knowingly performing worse than they could because levelling tailoring requires them doing something themselves for their epics.

exis on
  • Options
    emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Spellsurge on Light's Justice. Yay/Nay? Discuss.

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the general consensus is that spellsurge is only worth it when you have a bunch of people with it in your caster group, as it's not very much mp5 (even when you use every GCD)

I'd probably just go for 81 heals for omg hueg 460 +healing on a mace

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'll probably get spellsurge on my next staff.

Have a paladin with it on whatever weapon he has, and the buff is up almost full time. Mana is mana, dont' care where it comes from or how fast. +healing though, I got more than enough of that these days.

xzzy on
  • Options
    emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yeah, i can totally see it for a paladin with all the fast heals they do. one of our enchanters finally got the recipe off the AH for 200g (!!!). I'm currently sitting around 1700 healing and 160ish mp5 with self buffs so neither are really a huge bonus to me. I wanna be a 200mp5 whore tho, so I'm leaning for spellsurge.

hopefully more guildies get it so we can have 3 of 5 in a healing group to proc like mad

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yes, get it. It's incredible. It's better with more people, but it's awesome even with only one. I enchanted over my +81 healing on my Shard, and it was well worth it. I read some theorycraft asserting it's more effective than +healing when you consider the amount of mana returned to your party and the standard weightings for mana/5 and +healing. I can't seem to find it right now though :(

And somebody has to be the first person to get it. If everybody said "well I'm not getting it because nobody else has it" you're all going to miss out in the long run.

edit: I hit just under 1900 healing, then realised that while it was handy, it wasn't needed at all, what I did need was better regen. I replaced +healing with spellsurge, and replaced my +18 healing gems with +9/2mp5's. So now I'm down to about 1750 raid buffed, with a PvP-based spec (28/33), but my regen is way up. I'm really happy with the trade-off.

exis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Here's a question for those of you who enjoy crunching numbers.

Is it possible to get 250/100 MP5 and 9000 HP, both unbuffed, without any raid or arena gear? Normal PvP gear is fine, although probably pointless since it has no MP5 or even just spirit.

I spent about an hour looking through items on Wowhead, and came to the conclusion that it's not possible. However, I may have overlooked something, and so I ask here.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Have a paladin with it on whatever weapon he has, and the buff is up almost full time. Mana is mana, dont' care where it comes from or how fast. +healing though, I got more than enough of that these days.

The buff has a hidden cooldown. I think the best a pally might do is once every 50 seconds, maybe 45. The numbers I've seen touted generally put it close to once per minute, but it's still pretty good.

Septus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The buff has a hidden cooldown. I think the best a pally might do is once every 50 seconds, maybe 45. The numbers I've seen touted generally put it close to once per minute, but it's still pretty good.

It's a thirty second cooldown with a 15% proc chance. So a Paladin could get it going twice a minute.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well it sure feels like it's up all the time. I guess I don't have time to faithfully keep track of my buffs when trying to keep a raid alive. ;)

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The internal cooldown was nerfed to 50 seconds a few patches ago. It's still a fantastic enchant, though.

There are addons that will swap your weapon between spellsurge and +81 healing, to weave the internal cooldown in/out.

And actually, the effectiveness of Spellsurge is completely unlinked from whoever else in your party has the enchant -- the buff stacks with itself but without any specific added benefit to each buff for each buff stacked. One person having spellsurge is good, five people in a group having spellsurge is five times as good. But the same could be said for +81 healing.

In the end, both are fantastic healing enchants and personal preference is very much involved in choosing which to use.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Every time I get an upgrade, my overheal climbs a little bit more.

I'm really down on +heal enchants these days, it's a bit of a shame that some slots don't really have any viable options that aren't +heal.

xzzy on
This discussion has been closed.