Options

Old busted Steam thread. Go find the new hotness.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

do I need to play the ass creed games in order? I don't have any right now but was thinking of getting one or more of them.

is dear esther worth grabbing for the price?

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Assassins Creed Revelations: How good is it in comparison to Brotherhood? Worse? I'd be fine even if it was just "more of the same".

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    do I need to play the ass creed games in order? I don't have any right now but was thinking of getting one or more of them.

If you can play them in order you should. But they're good enough on their own merits that you shouldn't sacrifice the later games in an effort to play the first.

Yes on dear esther.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Ended up with an extra copy of this. Starts in about a half hour, ends Wednesday evening.

signature.png

Note this is only restricted to members of the generic Penny Arcade group and not the Adventure Team as many giveaways are, as we seem to have picked up a few fine new members of the community this sale who aren't in the Adventure Team yet and I wanted to give them a chance.

What is the adventure team?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PAGT

The Penny Arcade G&T Adventure Team. Original purpose coordinating multiplayer for games not popular enough to have threads/groups of their own. It's also taken on the secondary purpose of being a somewhat more "exclusive" group to use for Steamgifts giveaways, so that random Russian riff-raff is screened out.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    If it's any consolation, Mirror's Edge is better than BG&E, but the latter has a fair chance of ending up cheaper as well.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So my sale is over since I didn't get the job and said I would stop, figured I might as well tally everything up. Massive thanks for everyone who gifted me games. I managed to get almost

everything I wanted this sale without buying it myself! I mean, I did buy some things I wanted but for others. Its easier I guess lol. Self imposed challenge succeeded!

Gifts Recieved (24):
    Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet @Gear Girl
    Assassins Creed Revelations @Gear Girl
    Gun Runners Arsenal dlc @minor incident
    Tiny and Big's Adventure @envoy
    The Baconing @Antecantelope
    Ys: The Oath in Felghana @viking
    Alan Wake New nightmare @Mindstorm
    Still Life bundle @Kalia
    Rayman Origins @kanden
    World Basketball Manager 2010 @bluedude
    Trine 2 @redlance
    From Dust @ironsizide
    Devil May Cry 4 @Corpekata
    Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition @21st century
    Binary Domain @Decoy
    Analogue A Hate Story @minor Incident
    The Walking Dead @minor incident
    Batman Harley's Revenge DLC @Isorn
    Armed and Dangerous @Arithon32
    Two Worlds II Pirates DLC @DaringDirk
    Witcher 2 @randomhajile
    Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon @slimcea
    Batman Nightwing DLC @BlackbirdSR71C
    Saints row 3 Invincible pack dlc @shiflett
    cubemen @Danweino

Gifts I was sent but had to refuse due to duplicates:

Batman Nightwing DLC @dahkath
    Armed and Dangerous @HiT BiT

Again, thanks so much guys and gals for your generosity, I really appreciate it. If I somehow managed to leave someone out I do apologise but its hard keeping up with this :lol: Keep spreading the cheer <3

Gifts I sent out (34):
    Armed and Dangerous @21st century
    Armed and Dangerous @viking
    Armed and Dangerous @Aerynkelly
    Secret of the Magic Crystal @viking
    Sid Meiers Pirates! @viking
    EYE Divine Cybermancy @bluedude
    EYE Divine Cybermancy @mindstorm
    EYE Divine Cybermancy @kanden
    EYE Divine Cybermancy @blackbirdSR71C
    Hard Reset @ArcSyn
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam DLC @rhan
    Lara Croft: Guardian of Light @ivanissacs
    Hack, Slash, Loot @21st Century
    Max Payne bundle @Arithorn
    Max Payne 3 @Corpekata
    The Darkness II @minor incident
    Bioshock @someomen in the GOTR Chat
    Bioshock 2 @Lord Snot
    Batman Arkham City @Lord snot
    Batman Arkham City @woggle
    Batman Arkham City @curlyhairedboy
    Batman Arkham City @slimcea
    Batman Harley's Revenge DLC @malakaius
    Batman Harley's Revenge DLC @Corkeh
    Renegade Ops @Eraserbrain
    Two Worlds Pirates DLC @idolninja
    Dear Esther @rhan
    Dear Esther @joe blaque
    Dear Esther @Apodionysus
    Dear Esther @diryboy
    Dear Esther @morningstar
    Dear Esther @initialfailure
    Dear Esther @daringdirk
    Dear Esther @chocobolicious
    Prince of Persia 2008 @decoy
    cubemen @decoy
    Skyrim @Gear Girl

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a few people here but eh, I got most of you down :P
    I have spent £152 and all on gifts! I succeeded my challenge. That was fun. And now to hold off buying the other stuff I want that's sure to come up at a dangerously low price. Also, I am pissed I won't be able to gift out Spec Ops or Lego Batman 2. Such good games. All I can do is convince you to buy them because they are both incredible in their own ways.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    So my sale is over since I didn't get the job and said I would stop, figured I might as well tally everything up. Massive thanks for everyone who gifted me games. I managed to get almost

everything I wanted this sale without buying it myself! I mean, I did buy some things I wanted but for others. Its easier I guess lol. Self imposed challenge succeeded!

Gifts Recieved (19):
    Alan Wake New nightmare @Mindstorm
    Still Life bundle @Kalia
    Rayman Origins @kanden
    World Basketball Manager 2010 @bluedude
    Trine 2 @redlance
    From Dust @ironsizide
    Devil May Cry 4 @Corpekata
    Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition @21st century
    Binary Domain @Decoy
    Analogue A Hate Story @minor Incident
    The Walking Dead @minor incident
    Batman Harley's Revenge DLC @Isorn
    Armed and Dangerous @Arithon32
    Two Worlds II Pirates DLC @DaringDirk
    Witcher 2 @randomhajile
    Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon @slimcea
    Batman Nightwing DLC @BlackbirdSR71C
    Saints row 3 Invincible pack dlc @shiflett
    cubemen @Danweino

Gifts I was sent but had to refuse due to duplicates:

Batman Nightwing DLC @dahkath
    Armed and Dangerous @HiT BiT

Again, thanks so much guys and gals for your generosity, I really appreciate it. If I somehow managed to leave someone out I do apologise but its hard keeping up with this :lol: Keep spreading the cheer <3

Gifts I sent out (34):
    Armed and Dangerous @21st century
    Armed and Dangerous @viking
    Armed and Dangerous @Aerynkelly
    Secret of the Magic Crystal @viking
    Sid Meiers Pirates! @viking
    EYE Divine Cybermancy @bluedude
    EYE Divine Cybermancy @mindstorm
    EYE Divine Cybermancy @kanden
    EYE Divine Cybermancy @blackbirdSR71C
    Hard Reset @ArcSyn
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam DLC @rhan
    Lara Croft: Guardian of Light @ivanissacs
    Hack, Slash, Loot @21st Century
    Max Payne bundle @Arithorn
    Max Payne 3 @Corpekata
    The Darkness II @minor incident
    Bioshock @someomen in the GOTR Chat
    Bioshock 2 @Lord Snot
    Batman Arkham City @Lord snot
    Batman Arkham City @woggle
    Batman Arkham City @curlyhairedboy
    Batman Arkham City @slimcea
    Batman Harley's Revenge DLC @malakaius
    Batman Harley's Revenge DLC @Corkeh
    Renegade Ops @Eraserbrain
    Two Worlds Pirates DLC @idolninja
    Dear Esther @rhan
    Dear Esther @joe blaque
    Dear Esther @Apodionysus
    Dear Esther @diryboy
    Dear Esther @morningstar
    Dear Esther @initialfailure
    Dear Esther @daringdirk
    Dear Esther @chocobolicious
    Prince of Persia 2008 @decoy
    cubemen @decoy

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a few people here but eh, I got most of you down :P
    I have spent £126 and all on gifts! I succeeded my challenge. That was fun. And now to hold off buying the other stuff I want that's sure to come up at a dangerously low price. Also, I am pissed I won't be able to gift out Spec Ops or Lego Batman 2. Such good games. All I can do is convince you to buy them because they are both incredible in their own ways.

Sorry to hear about the job Isy!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    anoffday wrote: »

The 2nd bundle doesn't make any sense. All that CK2 DLC, but not the actual game?
    it's meant to be a compliment to the first bundle. they have a separate $20 bundle that came out a couple weeks after the $12 one, and the smaller bundle was a concession to the early adopters. I listed the 2 small bundles instead of the $20 because they include 2 more games for the same price.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Assassins Creed Revelations: How good is it in comparison to Brotherhood? Worse? I'd be fine even if it was just "more of the same".

Not as good as AssBro. Still the sort of game that you wanna play if you wanna parkour all over the place and stab dudes. They just kind of hit diminishing returns on their "iterate on AC2" idea. It looks like they're pulling out of the rut for AC3, though!

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    AssRev is still really fun and worth it just to complete the story

AssCreed I's gameplay blows donkey dicks compared to the other games

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

They have an overarching story, so if you're into that sort of thing, yeah. However the later games greatly improved on the gameplay, so unless you really want to play the whole series you might as well start with 2.

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    So, what's the general consensus about the F.E.A.R. games? I'm eyeballing the package deal to possibly pick up along with Metro 2033 and maybe Amnesia: The Dark Descent for shooter-y goodness, but I've never played any of them.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    If it's any consolation, Mirror's Edge is better than BG&E, but the latter has a fair chance of ending up cheaper as well.

yeah, that's why I voted ME before I saw people obsessing over BG&E.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Mackenzier wrote: »
    So, what's the general consensus about the F.E.A.R. games? I'm eyeballing the package deal to possibly pick up along with Metro 2033 and maybe Amnesia: The Dark Descent for shooter-y goodness, but I've never played any of them.

Fear and Fear2 i liked a lot.
    Amnesia is the best horror game on the market in my opinion. Or at least the scariest.
    And I just bought metro.

You didn't mean Amnesia for shootery goodness, right? Because if so you're not on the right track.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »

They have an overarching story, so if you're into that sort of thing, yeah. However the later games greatly improved on the gameplay, so unless you really want to play the whole series you might as well start with 2.

Yeah. AC1 is pretty light on story, so I'd recommend wikipediaing up the AC1 story then jump right into AC2.

Now, if you jump into AssBro or AssRev without having played the prior games in that mini-trilogy (AC2/Brotherhood/Revelations are all part of a trilogy within the trilogy that center on Ezio Auditore), you are going to end up pretty confused.

If you decide you'd like to play AC1, then do that first, because it is really really hard to go back to AC1 after playing AC2... the gameplay improves drastically between the two. AC1 is like a few really interesting gameplay ideas that don't quite mesh, while AC2 brings it all together and makes it a great game.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Not as good as AssBro. Still the sort of game that you wanna play if you wanna parkour all over the place and stab dudes. They just kind of hit diminishing returns on their "iterate on AC2" idea. It looks like they're pulling out of the rut for AC3, though!

I'd say it's just as good, it's just that by that time it's become simply "more of the same," without enough new things to entertain me (the tower defence minigame was entertaining, but only for so long) to the point that the story was really the only thing that kept me playing to the end, outside of multiplayer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Thank you, @idx86, for the classy gift of Frozen Synapse. Wasn't expecting to see that in my mailbox.

Now I feel even more guilty for being so terrible at it. :/

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    You jerks convinced me to drop the hammer on New Vegas last night, and you're convincing me to get Walking Dead when I go home this evening. Knock it off!

(Like I needed both STALKER and Fallout. Sheesh...)

By the way, this is still going on:
    signature.png

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

yeah, that's why I voted ME before I saw people obsessing over BG&E.

I would debate this but really they're both such high quality that it would be purely academic.

Remember if you get ME, get it from an Aussie. It's $2.50 down there as opposed to $5 here

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So many Classy folks around, just got home from work to find a copy of Cave Story from @APODionysus, and a copy of Darkness 2 from @Adda just waiting for me in Steam.
    Thanks guys!

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Get it while it's hot.

Or cold.

Or full of bees.

signature.png

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm also still wondering how Revelations Ezio could sneak around with the hook. All I remember is:

Stealthily climb up, ok!

*grab*

*CLANK!!!*

*grab*

*CLANK!!*

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Little did you know that Constantinople was the steampunk capital of the world during the Middle Ages. Hagia Sophia? Giant automaton. Janissaries? Clockwork hats. One little clank is like a child's whisper in that hellhole.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Good morning Steam thread, I bring you an offering

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    What an offer

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    MW3 for 50% off
    Deus Ex HR for 75%
    Skyrim for 50%

These have all been dailies at some point or another but my vote's going towards Deus Ex.

Seriously, it is so good.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Alright, I need a recommendation for a Strategy/RPG/Builder/Trader (with action)/4X games. Something that isn't a huge clickfest (moderate ones okay!)

I like:
    Terraria
    MineCraft
    Command and Conquer/Company of Heroes/Dawn of War
    X3
    Star Ruler

Any Suggestions? It needs some action.

ETA: @Broncbuster , because fast thread is fast.

Now I want Evochron, which isn't helping.
    From a strategy point of view, you may like Sword of the Stars/Endless Space.
    Slightly more actiony (but still a 4x) is Sins of a Solar Empire.
    I'd also like to take a moment to recommend Nexus: The Jupiter incident, which only I appear to have ever played (except people I've given it to). It might float your Strategy/Action boat, and its..er..£2.

Thanks, I own the first Sword of the Stars, but for some reason it didn't grab me.

I'm curious about Endless Space, and Nexus. I'll have to do some research.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    So, if like me you already owned Audiosurf, bought Ys, Oath of Felgana when the other one was on sale but are still interested in Gemini Rue from today's Indie bundle (I've heard only good things) GoG has it for $5 instead of Steam's $10.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular

Revelations is definitely the worst game of the bunch, it's not bad by any means but it doesn't come close to the heights hit by ACII or AC:Bro. Basically it's good but not great.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Free. Seriously. I feel bad having perfectly good games sitting unused in my inventory, help me get rid of them! PM Me or msg in steam. I'll be home in an hour or so.

1x HalfLife2
    2x RenegadeOps pack (RO, coldstrike, and reinforcements)
    3x RenegadeOps (base game only)
    1x Silent Hill Homecoming
    1x Portal 2

Aaaaaand everyone wants Silent Hill lol.

Based on first come:
    @Noizlanif gets the coveted SH
    @Zebukiel gets Portal2
    @BigDes and @Excision get the RO pack
    @Sumani gets the regular RO.

Still available:
    1x HL2
    2x RengadeOps (base game only)

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Thanks so much to Minor Incident for the gift of Renegade Ops! Classy gentlemen!

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Dead Rising 2: Off the Record is 10$ now as the flash sale.

I'm not sure if I want to get it, but it's Frank Mutha-fuckin West. Going to have to think about this...

• Options
    Dead Rising 2: Off the Record for $10. Worth it if I've not played Dead Rising 2?

• Options
    RetroGamer42RetroGamer42 Registered User regular
    Dead Rising 2: Off the Record for $10. Worth it if I've not played Dead Rising 2?

Is Dead Rising 2 a hidden flash sale as well? That's about the only thing that would tempt me into putting more money in my wallet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I am going to preemptively alert people, should a flash or daily deal come up and you find yourself hesitating before clicking buy: Bulletstorm is fucking awesome, buy it or I will kill your dick.

Oh yeah? Well....I'll kill your dick!

....what does that even mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEM7M9DzkE

♪ She keeps threatening to murder my manly bits - Lady, what the hell is wrong with you? ♪

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Dead Rising 2: Off the Record is 10$ now as the flash sale.

I'm not sure if I want to get it, but it's Frank Mutha-fuckin West. Going to have to think about this...

Never got Dead Rising 2 so this is an obvious buy for me.

• Options

Is Dead Rising 2 a hidden flash sale as well? That's about the only thing that would tempt me into putting more money in my wallet.

It is not. Only 50% off at $15.

• Options
    Regular Dead Rising 2 is just 50% off, $15.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Posting this again before bed

signature.png

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular

In my opinion the quality of the series proceeds in this order:

AC2>ACR>AC>ACB

Even with the added multiplayer in Brotherhood and Revelations, AC2 shits all over the rest of the series from a great height.

This discussion has been closed.