Options

Old busted Steam thread. Go find the new hotness.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Made me laugh:
    original.jpg

For their full value?

Man I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Even it it was just for a steam coupon for that dollar amount.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Made me laugh:
    original.jpg

For their full value?

Man I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Even it it was just for a steam coupon for that dollar amount.

Steam coupon for $X amount discount, only applicable to a Valve game?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Jebral wrote: »
    Gut churning decisions :(

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record for $10, but then there are these Ys games... There descriptions on the steam page actually use the word metroidvania..... And that's enticing! So... What are they like? More typical JRPG or does the term metroidvania actually apply to these games? That would be awesome and I would buy them both :)

I don't know why they use the term metroidvania. That's not really what the gameplay is about. It's more of an action rpg, where you cut through hordes of bad guys and fight huge, tough bosses who can kill you pretty easily if you're not careful. You still have free reign to run around wherever you want, but it's not about getting new abilities that let you get to new places.

• Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    As you all may or may not remember @Gaslight ran a contest the Furious Fulminating Frustration Darksiders Giveaway! which I did not win.

However, I seem to have come in second place since he went beyond classy and gifted me with a copy of Hard Reset

And I only thought it would be fair to share my story: (spoilered for long)
    Since you asked for the most frustrated and rage filled that people have been at a video game, so I thought I would share my story.

Please bear with me, this gets a big long.

The time was 1990, I was 14, and our house had just recently been robbed. All of my games, and systems were taken and I was heartbroken not just because of the physical things but because of the hours and hours of game saves gone. Now, instead of playing my favorite games I got to sit and stare at the blank hole where our tv and my games sat.

Fast forward a couple of very long weeks, and our insurance company comes through and gives us a payout. Overjoyed we go on a small shopping spree to replace the stolen items. TV, stereo, cutlery, yes cutlery, the thief took our everyday forks, knives and spoons, as well as several other random odds and ends, which all had to be replaced from what we got from the insurance company.

Finally we get to replacing my NES and games. However, cash is running short, and I get to choose one new game to go with my system.
    What do I choose? Fester's Quest. This turned out to be the low point of my year, and possibly the decade.

Fester's Quest, if you are not familiar with it, is a top down "adventure" game. The goal is to defeat some invading aliens, which makes no sense whatsoever. You're given your trusty gun, also makes no sense, and set off to defeat all the aliens.

The thing about the game is that you had very little life, if I remember correctly, you get two hits, then you die. You will most certainly die in this game, since Fester moves at a crawl. He is so slow, that it was almost impossible to dodge things. The worst part, when you died, you went back to the beginning. Not the beginning of the level, or area, or since your last save. No, you went back to the beginning of the game. You could be 95% through, and bam! two hits, back to the beginning. Start again.

I know what you're thinking, sure, the penalty is tough, and the margin for error low, but you just have to be good at shooting the enemies. This is good thinking, if the gun you were given was worth a damn. The thing didn't shoot from in front of Fester, no it was off to the side. You could upgrade your gun, into things like multi bullet, or spinning bullet, but if they hit a wall, or edge, they'd stop. Also aiming some of the "upgrades" were damn near impossible. They'd wave around enemies, or circle around them, and not hit them and then you were dead. Almost done? Oops you upgraded your weapon to the shitty one, you get to go back to start!

So, there I was, one game, lots of time to play it in, and it's the most god awful piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune of playing. and play it I did. I would start calm, attempting to get just a little bit farther than I had before. Every day, as I played I would get more and more frustrated. First I would grumble under my breath about how the game cheated, which lead shortly to cursing, quietly at first, and then in longer longer strings with more and more volume. It was at that time I was grounded for shouting "You no balled, limp dicked, titty sucking, son of a bitch". Finally it would end with me throwing down my controller in disgust. This was the ultimate for me, because I always treated my controllers and systems well, games went in cases, in their spots on the shelves, controllers were not hurled, dropped or had the cords twisted. But this game, this game made me forget all that. It taunted me. It challenged me. I could almost hear it call out to me, that if I tried, just one more time I could beat it, and then be done with it. For up until that point, I had never left a game, that had an ending, unended.

This went on for almost 2 months. Finally I saved up enough to buy a copy of Super Mario Bros. 3.

I burned that copy of Festers Quest. I was not a joyful moment. It had beaten me, and burning it was the only way I could get just a little even with it.

So, there's my story. I hope it didn't bore you too much, or was too long to read.

I think I'm going to track down a copy of Fester's Quest. I still have my old NES. I wonder if I can beat it now. I think I may have to find out.

Krummith on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Rain-Slick 3 Steam codes! Enjoy!

3Z7ZM-JGMFJ-A2KLE
    HA0EV-WMFF8-B92Y6
    FCPHZ-2V32G-RGV39

Urrrghhhh, the one time I step away from the keyboard...

Are you going to do more of these? Perhaps offer an estimated timeframe to be ready?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    It won't end D:
    @Viking just ninja-gifted me Ys: The Oath in Felghana out of the blue! He's a Viking, ninja and classy crab all in one!

You should play it and tell me how it is. I've been looking at it all sale =p

http://zcint.co.uk/article/ys-the-oath-in-felghana-review

• Options
    RanCiel810RanCiel810 Registered User regular
    Has anyone done the "Voted 15 Times" achievement yet? I feel like I've been voting forever but don't have it yet.

OUlH7J8.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Wow. Steam Cleaner just got me back close to 10GB.

Wow.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    @Drake Buddy you forgot one of the biggest selling points (not that I needed anymore). In coop you can combine ships! I think that is all that needed to be said.

Now to wait out for sale price or buy at 40% off.
    Igel wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Alright, I need a recommendation for a Strategy/RPG/Builder/Trader (with action)/4X games. Something that isn't a huge clickfest (moderate ones okay!)

I like:
    Terraria
    MineCraft
    Command and Conquer/Company of Heroes/Dawn of War
    X3
    Star Ruler

Any Suggestions? It needs some action.

ETA: @Broncbuster , because fast thread is fast.

Now I want Evochron, which isn't helping.
    From a strategy point of view, you may like Sword of the Stars/Endless Space.
    Slightly more actiony (but still a 4x) is Sins of a Solar Empire.
    I'd also like to take a moment to recommend Nexus: The Jupiter incident, which only I appear to have ever played (except people I've given it to). It might float your Strategy/Action boat, and its..er..£2.

Thanks, I own the first Sword of the Stars, but for some reason it didn't grab me.

I'm curious about Endless Space, and Nexus. I'll have to do some research.

I can vouch for Endless Space, I've had fun with it and find it very well done.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. I didn't see much involved combat it it though or did I just get a bad impression?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Erryone should vote for DE: HR.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder
    minirhyder wrote: »
    fzsT8.pngContest TimetErbf.png

I have Metro 2033 to give away to a classy lady or gent who can help me out.
    This saturday I will be in Madrid for a 10 hour layover on the way to Malaga. I sure as hell will not be spending those 10 hours at the airport. I'd like to explore the city!
    Problem is I don't quite know what to do or where to go. Or how to maximize my 8-10 hours there.
    So just shoot your suggestions over to me, and the one that tickles my fancy the most gets the prize.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »
    As you all may or may not remember @Gaslight ran a contest the Furious Fulminating Frustration Darksiders Giveaway! which I did not win.

However, I seem to have come in second place since he went beyond classy and gifted me with a copy of Hard Reset

And I only thought it would be fair to share my story: (spoilered for long)
    Since you asked for the most frustrated and rage filled that people have been at a video game, so I thought I would share my story.

Please bear with me, this gets a big long.

The time was 1990, I was 14, and our house had just recently been robbed. All of my games, and systems were taken and I was heartbroken not just because of the physical things but because of the hours and hours of game saves gone. Now, instead of playing my favorite games I got to sit and stare at the blank hole where our tv and my games sat.

Fast forward a couple of very long weeks, and our insurance company comes through and gives us a payout. Overjoyed we go on a small shopping spree to replace the stolen items. TV, stereo, cutlery, yes cutlery, the thief took our everyday forks, knives and spoons, as well as several other random odds and ends, which all had to be replaced from what we got from the insurance company.

Finally we get to replacing my NES and games. However, cash is running short, and I get to choose one new game to go with my system.
    What do I choose? Fester's Quest. This turned out to be the low point of my year, and possibly the decade.

Fester's Quest, if you are not familiar with it, is a top down "adventure" game. The goal is to defeat some invading aliens, which makes no sense whatsoever. You're given your trusty gun, also makes no sense, and set off to defeat all the aliens.

The thing about the game is that you had very little life, if I remember correctly, you get two hits, then you die. You will most certainly die in this game, since Fester moves at a crawl. He is so slow, that it was almost impossible to dodge things. The worst part, when you died, you went back to the beginning. Not the beginning of the level, or area, or since your last save. No, you went back to the beginning of the game. You could be 95% through, and bam! two hits, back to the beginning. Start again.

I know what you're thinking, sure, the penalty is tough, and the margin for error low, but you just have to be good at shooting the enemies. This is good thinking, if the gun you were given was worth a damn. The thing didn't shoot from in front of Fester, no it was off to the side. You could upgrade your gun, into things like multi bullet, or spinning bullet, but if they hit a wall, or edge, they'd stop. Also aiming some of the "upgrades" were damn near impossible. They'd wave around enemies, or circle around them, and not hit them and then you were dead. Almost done? Oops you upgraded your weapon to the shitty one, you get to go back to start!

So, there I was, one game, lots of time to play it in, and it's the most god awful piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune of playing. and play it I did. I would start calm, attempting to get just a little bit farther than I had before. Every day, as I played I would get more and more frustrated. First I would grumble under my breath about how the game cheated, which lead shortly to cursing, quietly at first, and then in longer longer strings with more and more volume. It was at that time I was grounded for shouting "You no balled, limp dicked, titty sucking, son of a bitch". Finally it would end with me throwing down my controller in disgust. This was the ultimate for me, because I always treated my controllers and systems well, games went in cases, in their spots on the shelves, controllers were not hurled, dropped or had the cords twisted. But this game, this game made me forget all that. It taunted me. It challenged me. I could almost hear it call out to me, that if I tried, just one more time I could beat it, and then be done with it. For up until that point, I had never left a game, that had an ending, unended.

This went on for almost 2 months. Finally I saved up enough to buy a copy of Super Mario Bros. 3.

I burned that copy of Festers Quest. I was not a joyful moment. It had beaten me, and burning it was the only way I could get just a little even with it.

So, there's my story. I hope it didn't bore you too much, or was too long to read.

I think I'm going to track down a copy of Fester's Quest. I still have my old NES. I wonder if I can beat it now. I think I may have to find out.

TheAustinBound's story had to be the winner for depicting sheer unbounded rage over vidya, but this story moved me. To have only one game to play, and to have it be a terrible one...truly a gamer's nightmare, a gamer's Hades in fact. Sadly I didn't have a second copy of Darksiders to give away for this worthy submission, but I felt it was deserving of something.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    RanCiel810 wrote: »
    Has anyone done the "Voted 15 Times" achievement yet? I feel like I've been voting forever but don't have it yet.

Its been about 3 votes a day right? New contest every 8 hours.

15 should be the last vote today it you've voted everytime I guess.

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    RanCiel810 wrote: »

Should see it with tomorrow morning's vote if you've voted every single time. I'm assuming that the first vote started at 10:00 am PST last Thursday, I was at work.

Mackenzier on
    Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Erryone should vote for DE: HR.

I did. I figure Skyrim hits the sale page pretty often, and Deus Ex was a really great game that I'll bet a good chunk of folks passed on.

I don't enjoy Call of Duty type games enough to buy them, so that's not really in the running for my vote.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    @Drake Buddy you forgot one of the biggest selling points (not that I needed anymore). In coop you can combine ships! I think that is all that needed to be said.

Alright, I need a recommendation for a Strategy/RPG/Builder/Trader (with action)/4X games. Something that isn't a huge clickfest (moderate ones okay!)

I like:
    Terraria
    MineCraft
    X3
    Star Ruler

I'd also like to take a moment to recommend Nexus: The Jupiter incident, which only I appear to have ever played (except people I've given it to). It might float your Strategy/Action boat, and its..er..£2.

Thanks, I own the first Sword of the Stars, but for some reason it didn't grab me.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. I didn't see much involved combat it it though or did I just get a bad impression?

No, you're right, the combat isn't that involved. Still a great game, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

You talking about Evochron? Because if you were to get stranded in your singleplayer game without fuel. You can have a buddy come into your game and rescue you. I was gonna help out @Lord snot when he ran out of fuel but he just restarted when I told him. Probably because I'm an accident waiting to happen and would've rammed straight through his ship :lol:

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    I dont know what happened in the trailer for Dear Esther I just watched. It was rather captivating however.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

I like:
    Terraria
    MineCraft
    X3
    Star Ruler

Endless Space does have combat but it's not real time, more like an odd hybrid of turn based combat and card game combat.

Each battle has three main combat phases (long range, medium range, and close range), and during each phase you can pick from your available combat abilities. Each of these abilities gives you a combat boost of some kind, and some counter-act enemy abilities to give you an even greater advantage.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Voting for Skyrim. Judging from the way it jumped to the top of the sales chart during its daily, there are still plenty of people who don't have it. Plus I remember a number of people here agonizing over it during the daily and I want to torture them break down their will and help them experience an amazing game. :twisted: 8->

DXHR goes on sale quite a bit. And fuck MW3.

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    It won't end D:
    @Viking just ninja-gifted me Ys: The Oath in Felghana out of the blue! He's a Viking, ninja and classy crab all in one!

You should play it and tell me how it is. I've been looking at it all sale =p

http://zcint.co.uk/article/ys-the-oath-in-felghana-review

"For anyone looking for a solid RPG offering that’s half the length but twice as deadly".

Well that sold me on it. Assuming I have money left in my wallet at the end of sale, I shall be picking that up. Thanks for the link!

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Haha @alabasterslim is awesome <3

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I just noticed a spare Bit Trip Beat in my inventory. Does anyone want it?

(note: I will be afk for a few hours, but pm me and it's yours when I get back.)

• Options
    I'm sure Skyrim will be the winner. And yes, fuck MW3.

sig.gif

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Thanks to the generous gift of KOTOR from @Jman711, for your potential entertainment we now have this 5-minute concept sketch of a classy Jedi Crab.
    Jedi_Crab_Small.jpg

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So, the 75% off (almost) everything Civilization deal is back again as a 6-hour flash deal, as is the 25% off Gods And Kings deal.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Hrmmm dare I resist Gods and Kings again in hope of a daily? Hrmmmmmmm.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »

You dare to defy Gods & Kings? They demand your woship and your fealty! (And your steambucks!)

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Considering how new it is, I doubt it will go much cheaper this sale. Especially if the rest of the series is 75% off. This is as low as it's gonna get.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    RetroGamer42RetroGamer42 Registered User regular
    @Reynolds is the Classiest of the Classy! He just gifted me Mirror's Edge! This will not go unanswered, sir!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    @Bullhead just hooked me up with a copy of Renegade Ops. Can't wait to check it out, I hear great things about it from you folks. Thank you awesome sir!

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Mirror's Edge won over Beyond Good and Evil, seriously? Bluhhhh stupid Steam Community.

I love both games but I voted for Mirror's Edge because I think Mirror's Edge 2 is more likely than BG&E2 and if some additional sales of ME is what it takes to go from "more likely" to "is actually happening" so be it.

• Options
    DudeMaYnDudeMaYn Registered User regular
    I come home from work and what do I see?
    A gift of Cave Story! From APOD
    Such joy as I fist pump, quite manly in the air
    And such softness as I slump down in my chair

Thanks very much to @APODionysius for the gift of Cave Story! I shall burn/save many mimigas in your honor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiddershinzWiddershinz Registered User regular
    What are the odds of the Game of Thrones RPG going on daily/flash? That and Kingdoms of Amalamadingdong are all I'm hoping for tbh. And that is apparently stuck in a Rhode Island gulag. Everything else is gravy.

Steam ID widdershinsaus
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Considering how new it is, I doubt it will go much cheaper this sale. Especially if the rest of the series is 75% off. This is as low as it's gonna get.

I caved. All serve the Newell.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I love both games but I voted for Mirror's Edge because I think Mirror's Edge 2 is more likely than BG&E2 and if some additional sales of ME is what it takes to go from "more likely" to "is actually happening" so be it.

I just read an article a few days ago where an EA guy once again teased ME2.
    "We have nothing to announce," said Gibeau speaking in the latest issue of Game Informer. "We love Faith. We love the property. It's really about how and when do you bring it back? It's on the list. It's just about looking at what teams are available, who's got the right quality approach to it, and who understands it."

Personally I suspect they'll both get sequels, it'll just take DNF time.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    I missed the Civ 5 G&K supersale while on my 3 day fishing trip

Bleh, whatever, who needs religions anyway

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Rain-Slick 3 Steam codes! Enjoy!

3Z7ZM-JGMFJ-A2KLE
    HA0EV-WMFF8-B92Y6
    FCPHZ-2V32G-RGV39

Urrrghhhh, the one time I step away from the keyboard...

Are you going to do more of these? Perhaps offer an estimated timeframe to be ready?

No definite plans to do more; I just thought it would be fun to give away a few during the sale since the game isn't on sale (since it just came out last month).

• Options
    Can I ask a Civ question without fear of being ninja gIfted?

sig.gif

This discussion has been closed.