Options

Trailer for [Dark Souls] sequel shown at VGA, PC and dedicated servers promised. *squeal!*

• Options
    HaleskarthHaleskarth Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Shen wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »
    I have been meaning to ask... when Dark Souls released, STR and DEX stat/weapon builds weren't super viable compared to builds that made use of lightning weapons. Lightning weapons were just basically god tier. Have patches remedied this at all?

Yes. Scaling weapons will be better if you have a high scaling stat now, though Elemental/Chaos still maintains a strong option for Vit-gougers, backup weapons, and low-scaling weapons.

Besides just making scaling better in general, they also made it so weapons with 2 damage types (say, physical and lightning) have to pass through 2 different defenses to do damage. So weapons that have less attack power but of a single type will often do more damage. It's been my experience with magic weapons, anyway. Moonlight Butterfly Horn usually does way more than anything else, because ALL of it's damage is magic, rather than a mix of magic and physical.

This was always the case, it's just that very few weapons had sufficent base damage and scaling to compete with the damage per hit of lightning weapons. Only the Black Knight Greataxe and a few other strength weapons could manage it directly, though ones enchanted with Tin Crystal Weapon absolutely blew lightning weapons out of the water.

Hehe... Hehehe..

+15 Demon Great Machete with Crystal Magic Weapon, I love thee.

Also, the new abyssal magic is disgusting for pvp. Only way people have been able to fight my level 40 that went through the dlc is with a dark wood grain ring. Ain't no blocking this shit, and if people do try to silver pendant your pursuers.. Shoot em in the face.

Edit; Also silence, but nobody rocks it, I've gotta say it's pretty deadly against casters with the increased duration.

Haleskarth on
  • Options
    WalkerWalker BlightyRegistered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Huh, there's another Street Fighter reference in this game

If you do the post-roll attack with the claw, you do Vega's rolling claw attack.

Street Fighter's not the only one, those big cat creatures in the garden make exactly the same roar sound as the mountain lions in Tomb Raider 2, Wonder what else is in there !

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, I got my first invasion. In the Parish, at level 12, a guy with a lightning dagger that caused bleed. He just killed me through my shield with me unable to do a thing.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Blah. I should continue and go for Bed of Chaos. But that fight is such bullshit and it's so annoying to reach there each time that it's taken the desire to play straight out of me.

Like many things a bow makes the bed of chaos fight much more less bullshit. Just shoot the two glowey heart things from a distance and then use the quit and reload trick to get back into position to make a run for the core.

Or, you can run all the way to the fog gate and hope he throws his sack down. Run up and punch it it (no weapon) and he will fall to his death.

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    stigweard wrote: »
    Blah. I should continue and go for Bed of Chaos. But that fight is such bullshit and it's so annoying to reach there each time that it's taken the desire to play straight out of me.

Like many things a bow makes the bed of chaos fight much more less bullshit. Just shoot the two glowey heart things from a distance and then use the quit and reload trick to get back into position to make a run for the core.

Or, you can run all the way to the fog gate and hope he throws his sack down. Run up and punch it it (no weapon) and he will fall to his death.

Preeeetty sure you're talking about the ceaseless discharge, and it doesn't matter whether you have a weapon equipped when you do this.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Also, I think I made a dumb.
    When I freed Lautrec, I got his reward, and then on pure instinct I wailed on him becase fuck you you smug self-centered asshole and fuck your killing of Anastacia. But then I remembered that reviving Anastacia got her her tongue back and got me 20 flasks in Firelink later. Stupid gut.

• Options
    Kainy wrote: »
    stigweard wrote: »

Preeeetty sure you're talking about the ceaseless discharge, and it doesn't matter whether you have a weapon equipped when you do this.

Right... right. Don't mind me - still haven't had my coffee.

• Options
    got my summon sign down in last bonfire in ToG if anyone wants a helping axe against Nito

• Options
    When I freed Lautrec, I got his reward, and then on pure instinct I wailed on him becase fuck you you smug self-centered asshole and fuck your killing of Anastacia. But then I remembered that reviving Anastacia got her her tongue back and got me 20 flasks in Firelink later. Stupid gut.

That doesn't automatically upgrade the fire, you have to kindle it with the rite of kindling just like every other one to get to 20. The first part's right, though.

• Options
    Has faith/ occult scaling been improved at all or is it still terrible? I was thinking about finally trying a faith build and when I looked at the old scaling there were only 8 or 10 weapons that eventually got a scaling and those mostly had poor movesets or required a heavy investment in str / dex. It seems like it would be hard to have a decent damage output without just going elemental

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Dark magic scales with......Strength !!!

Walker on
  • Options
  • Options

That doesn't automatically upgrade the fire, you have to kindle it with the rite of kindling just like every other one to get to 20. The first part's right, though.

Doesn't the rite just get it to 15? Currently I have it at 10, and it says I need the rite of kindling for further kindling already.

• Options
    The rite lets you kindle 3 times, for a maximum of 20. Fires that have a firekeeper that isn't you (firelink shrine and the first one in Anor Londo, for instance) are kindled once already.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Doesn't the rite just get it to 15? Currently I have it at 10, and it says I need the rite of kindling for further kindling already.

I believe that saving Anastacia will cause her to kindle the fire to 20 for you after you have the rite and have claimed at least one lord soul. But you can just sink two humanity into it instead.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Ah, in my game I restored her but haven't gone and gotten a lord soul yet. I'll have to test that, though my plans before I go hunting for one are kind of elaborate.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I started over yesterday. Four or five hours instead of 30-40, and I am back somewhere around where I used to be, with the Gargoyles defeated. I think I spent my time and money a little more wisely this time around-- I upgraded str and dex before vit and end, then spent souls and shards getting the winged spear to +5, and and I have the heater shield up to +2. And I cheap-shotted the bridge dragon until I got the Drake Sword.

I'm holding at level 17, spending souls on upgrades and items so I don't lose them forever when I fight Capra the next time I play.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I might take a leaf out of your book Douglas and do a restart. Gonna pump strength and opt for warrior class.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Restarting is a great way to avoid getting burnt out on this game when you find yourself up against a wall.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    In my experience, END and VIT go a much longer way towards early game ease than str or dex, once you qualify for a good weapon. This means usually 16 strength (enough for the Drake Sword, Claymore, etc.) and something like 14 dex (enough for a Longbow). After that, more END really helps if you're going for a relatively safe (shield-heavy armor) playstyle.

However, do what works for you, and don't be afraid to change it up. Upgrading your gear is incredibly important in this game, especially your weapon/shield. Shield upgrades should almost always be the basic kind (so you don't want a fire shield or anything like that) because that's how you gain the most stability, which is the percentage of damage you block that isn't applied to your stamina, in general terms. So if you block 100 damage and have 70 stability, you lose 30 stamina from your bar. More END gives you a bigger bar to take hits with, and still have something left to counterattack, as well as letting you move faster with heavier armor.

• Options
    I want to hold at 17 so I can find people for JOLLY COOPERATION for Capra and that weird butterfly. I think I was over-leveled with my last character, because I upgraded my stats instead of my equipment. And I am awful at this game, so I spent hours grinding for humanity so I could engage in JOLLY COOPERATION, and then I was too high to summon anyone for either boss.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Wait. Really? Damn. I just killed him outright because it would be a pain in the ass for that fire to go dark. Next time through the game I'll try it.

I just REALLY wish I could ever fucking summon some help. There's probably going to be no point in grinding to SL 90 to be in level range of a friend. I probably won't be able to summon them.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Naw, I was about 30 when I did Capra on this file. The PC version seems to have weird network issues. I can only successfully summon about 50% of the time, and I've heard others having far more trouble :(

I hope summoning help works out for you, though, DD. Capra can be a real cockblock.

• Options
    Wow. Having some help for Capra makes a really fucking huge difference. Like, seriously. Beat first try easy. I baited the dogs while my jolly companion distracted the Capra, and killed them. Then I Soul Arrow'd it to death with ease. I also ran through the Depths without stopping, and beat the Gaping Dragon within half an hour of the Capra - but I think I'll go back. I need to farm green titanite to make my claymore Magical (because when you're a sorcerer, Int scaling is best scaling) and get the Evil Eye ring and kill all the Basilisks because fuck you Basilisks.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Fuck YOU Iron Golem.

I think I've died 30 times on this guy and every time it's been to being knocked off the platform.

Oh well, at least I'm not taking a lot of durability damage.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I want to hold at 17 so I can find people for JOLLY COOPERATION for Capra and that weird butterfly. I think I was over-leveled with my last character, because I upgraded my stats instead of my equipment. And I am awful at this game, so I spent hours grinding for humanity so I could engage in JOLLY COOPERATION, and then I was too high to summon anyone for either boss.

There's an NPC to summon for the butterfly under a stairwell near its grey smoke door. Even without the NPC it's just of matter of dodging and waiting for it to lodge onto the walkway and then you just wail on it (I managed to kill it before it does its AoE).

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I summoned a bro and we beat Capra, then I died in Darkroot because my summoned bro woke up all the golems. Then I tried to help a guy, but he had no health. I did show him where the fire was in darkroot, by the door. He had a lightning uchi that did 250-200 damage, and the wolf ring, but didn't know where the fire was! Geez.

I will summon that phantom npc when I try again in a little while. Thank you.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Fuck YOU Iron Golem.

I think I've died 30 times on this guy and every time it's been to being knocked off the platform.

You found the
    shortcut to the bottom of the fortress,

right?

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Jolly cooperation, with your boyfriend while he's in the same room is awesome. He was going up against spider bitch, and wanted some help, so I threw down a summon sign and waited for him. He tried to summon me 7 times before finally getting me. I actually got summoned twice by other players and he got invaded once before it actually worked. But when it did...

sunbros.png

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Fuck YOU Iron Golem.

If you've got humanity, there's an NPC phantom who will straight up solo that boss for you. Honestly, I love that there are summons for half of the 20-odd bosses in the main game.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Fuck YOU Iron Golem.

Across the bridge to the right of the Iron Golem is an NPC summon sign for Iron Tarkus. He's a beastly tank and will stand toe to toe with the Golem no problem, if you want to human up and summon him!

• Options
    Tarkus is easy mode for the Iron Golem fight.

That's not a bad thing. Many things in this game have a hidden easy/cheap as all hell mode.

• Options
    Also, you can try and stay in the middle of the arena, and then just roll between it's legs. That's how I do it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Iron Tarkus is the most threatening entity in that world. No boss has shit on that guy. Want a good laugh? summon him for the golem fight, then just go stand there. Honestly: just stand back and watch Iron Tarkus take that thing apart like a force of nature.

My first time on the golem was with Tarkus, by the time I'd mustered up the courage to take a swing at the golem he was already on half health from Tarkus. My presence there was not required.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Iron Tarkus is the most threatening entity in that world. No boss has shit on that guy. Want a good laugh? summon him for the golem fight, then just go stand there. Honestly: just stand back and watch Iron Tarkus take that thing apart like a force of nature.

My first time on the golem was with Tarkus, by the time I'd mustered up the courage to take a swing at the golem he was already on half health from Tarkus. My presence there was not required.

If I could have one thing in Dark Souls it would be a boss rush mode where you can choose your NPC companion.

• Options
    Haha that would be great.

Iron Tarkus is a man's man, and I am proud to be wearing a couple pieces of his armor.

P.S., fuck hosts who never use Estus to heal their summoned bros. Fuck hosts who die immediately when you back off to burn a humanity to heal yourself twice. In the butt.

• Options
    Haha that would be great.

Iron Tarkus is a man's man, and I am proud to be wearing a couple pieces of his armor.

P.S., fuck hosts who never use Estus to heal their summoned bros. Fuck hosts who die immediately when you back off to burn a humanity to heal yourself twice. In the butt.
    Maybe they're new, and don't actually KNOW you can heal them with Estus.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    How does that work? If you heal with Estus near a summon, you heal him too, or what?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    How does that work? If you heal with Estus near a summon, you heal him too, or what?

Don't think it has to be near. But yeah.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Yeah. Summons can only heal themselves through other items (humanities, divines) or miracles, so keep an eye on their health.

This discussion has been closed.