As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] WoW Expansion info leaked

FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
I don't even play WoW, but this is still big news.

Apparently it will be called "The Wrath of the Lich King" and will probably feature more stuff in Northrend, and will almost assuredly have two new races and a few more classes.

Picture1-4.png
FirstComradeStalin on

• Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is weird because IGN was reporting a completely different rumor about an expansion titled "Into the Maelstrom" debuting at Blizzcon. I don't know what to think anymore.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Who knows what the hell to expect...apart from high-level raid dungeons.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Uhh, wasn't there some sort of second expansion folder and/or files already found a few patches ago?

The_Dciple on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FireWeasel wrote: »

Seriously, this is the reason i don't play any more... raiding? fuck that noise.

Where is my alternate end game content? *angry face*

noobert on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The_Dciple wrote: »
    Uhh, wasn't there some sort of second expansion folder and/or files already found a few patches ago?

Yeah, the Emerald Dream stuff, but Illidan and Arthas were also in the game waaaay before either of them were officially patched in.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    noobert wrote: »

Seriously, this is the reason i don't play any more... raiding? fuck that noise.

Hi. There has been an alternate to raiding in the game since like.... ever

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Because you obviously can take on those epic'd out guys with your pvp rewards..... You know that isn't a viable end game.

noobert on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

They added in those new factions/quest hubs to do and rep up with.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007

Because you obviously can take on those epic'd out guys with your pvp rewards..... You know that isn't a viable end game.

Actually, yes you can.

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    ValicValic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PVP rewards >>>>>> anything you get from raiding in terms of PVP

Valic on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Faustum wrote: »

Actually, yes you can.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PvPing for end game gear is even less enjoyable than the PvE endgame.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I hope like hell this expansion has reworked 20-60 content and some legit stab at promoting pvp larger than 5v5.

I can't take warcraft lore seriously.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wonder how many people are like me, who will probably bring their mains out of retirement, play for a few months till they hit the new level cap, and then re-park their characters in the shed.

This may turn out to be a pretty viable business model for Blizzard. Crank out a new expansion every year, just to prevent people from totally cancelling their accounts. If it worked for UO, FFXI, and EQ, then why not for WoW?

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PvPing for end game gear is even less enjoyable than the PvE endgame.

Meh, I log in a few times a week, do arena for a few hours with my in game buddies, do well and get points. Beats raiding every day.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    New classes. Right.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    bearsuitbearsuit Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath

It's probably true. Unless Blizzard is doing this on purpose just to fuck with people E:

bearsuit on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's been a while since I've played, but I'd probably pick up the xpac and play for a bit when one comes out.

I do hope they add in some fun soloable 40-60 quests and stuff, but I have a hard time imagining them actually fiddling a lot with existing zones, because it sounds like too many chances to horribly break something.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've tried unsuccessfully to quit WoW a few times now... guess I'll just have to pick this up. New 20-60 content would be a HUGE bonus. Those zones get pretty tiring after you've done them once.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You can't argue with a WoW addict. It's like trying to tell a pothead that marijuana is bad for you.
    Okay bad analogy, but my point is still valid.

urahonky on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't know how to check if something is trademarked, but is Wrath of the Lich King trademarked?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I hope this doesn't come out for a while, once a year level raises is far too much. Level cap needs to stay put.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I hope this doesn't come out for a while, once a year level raises is far too much. Level cap needs to stay put.

I bet you're a raider and say that because you don't want your precious purplez to become trivial.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »

I bet you're a raider and say that because you don't want your precious purplez to become trivial.

If by that, you mean a pvper, who never raids, then yes.

Raising the level cap too quickly means most people don't even get to experience all the game content. I did raid at 60, so I got to experience some stuff that no one else in my current guild even got to do. I.E., naxx, C'thun.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

So what's wrong with raising the level cap then?

Fireflash on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    you don't want your precious purplez to become trivial.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'm not a raider and I don't want any new levels to be added. Non-raid content in TBC progressed very naturally, and there's plenty that I have left to experience at level 70. I'd prefer if they kept the cap at 70, and added some post-Black Temple raiding content for the super hardcore, as well as a new 10 man instance post-Zul Aman. That way people still have new stuff to look forward to, without all their old work being trivialized.

Oh, and new battlegrounds please. I'm so fucking sick of WSG and AV it isn't funny. Just make two or three new areas per ruleset and make it randomly select one.

Edit: A good question is, why should they raise the level cap? All it would do is wipe the slate clean again (which many people would complain about) and add a bunch of new content. They could add the content without increasing the level cap.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Its pointless? It doesn't make you relatively more powerful, and I don't find levelling fun. It just means a couple months having to start from scratch to get geared up for the new level's pvp bracket.

Also, more importantly, it means 10 more levels for any alt you make to get to max level. Its already a ridiculous amount of time to get to 70.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I'm not a raider and I don't want any new levels to be added. Non-raid content in TBC progressed very naturally, and there's plenty that I have left to experience at level 70. I'd prefer if they kept the cap at 70, and added some post-Black Temple raiding content for the super hardcore, as well as a new 10 man instance post-Zul Aman. That way people still have new stuff to look forward to, without all their old work being trivialized.

Oh, and new battlegrounds please. I'm so fucking sick of WSG and AV it isn't funny. Just make two or three new areas per ruleset and make it randomly select one.

See, even you as a player call it that, and that's what I don't like. Probably why I gave up on WoW too. A game shouldn't be work. What you do as you progress should be enjoyement not "work" to get to a goal that gets ever pushed higher as content is released.

Fireflash on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Its pointless? It doesn't make you relatively more powerful, and I don't find levelling fun. It just means a couple months having to start from scratch to get geared up for the new level's pvp bracket.

Also, more importantly, it means 10 more levels for any alt you make to get to max level. Its already a ridiculous amount of time to get to 70.

From that point of view I agree. BUt I'll say that the new level cap is what got me to buy Burning Crusade, even tho I gave up and cancelled my subscription a bit after I reached lvl 68.

Fireflash on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I don't really find the Arena to be "work", sure, its unbalanced which causes frustration, but its not the ridiculous grind of the raiding that made me have to quit wow last year. I play alot now, because I don't have school yet, but when it starts, it won't require playing all afternoon every day to make my player better.

If only they'd make the arena more fun, it'd be perfect.

Oh well, WAR is coming out soon anyway.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    See, even you as a player call it that, and that's what I don't like. Probably why I gave up on WoW too. A game shouldn't be work. What you do as you progress should be enjoyement not "work" to get to a goal that gets ever pushed higher as content is released.

Err, what? That was merely a choice of words, I didn't mean to infer that anything I did at 70 was a chore. I enjoy PvP, and the new 5 man instances were well designed and fun to do. I really liked the epic quest lines available, though there were few of them. If the level cap were to be raised, I would feel the same way as I would if I lost a game save with 50 or more hours on it, at least in part. While it was fun getting there, it would be painful to see it all go to waste.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I had full tier 2 when the expansion came out and I welcomed it. I only raided to pvp at 60, they actually made pvp a viable endgame now.

I'm just saying, it was 2 years before the first expansion, 1 year expansions is pretty quick, considering how long it takes most players to get into the content.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I played WoW pretty religiously when it first came out. Then about 4 months in I got to a point where I'd play for about 10minutes - 1 hour, log off... Do something else... Come back play again.

So I quit when I finally hit 60, then BC came out. I reactivated my account, played for 1 month... got bored, and quit again.

The game feels like a chore to play, to me at least. I hate raids, and PvP gets lame because you need gear to PvP... and to get gear you have to raid, and to raid you have to have about 2-3 hours of time dedicated to the game.

Unfortunately with a full-time job, and school that wasn't working.

(Ironically I'm finding time with City of Heroes/Villains)

urahonky on
  • Options
    soapofdurdensoapofdurden Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blizzard DID say they're shooting for an expansion a year.

soapofdurden on
    Xbox Live: soapofdurden, Twitter!
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I know how to balance the levels easily. Level cap stays to 70, but exp gained turns into points for AA points ala what Everquest did. And the AA points would be used in a new mini tree for each class called the HERO TREE. Where you would work up your points to progress for extra skills/talents in said Hero tree.

That allows the new content to just be new content, makes it so outlands doesn't become what Azeroth is now. And it let's us "pretend" we got the hero classes we were promised at the start of the game.

Camui on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Camui wrote: »
    I know how to balance the levels easily. Level cap stays to 70, but exp gained turns into points for AA points ala what Everquest did. And the AA points would be used in a new mini tree for each class called the HERO TREE. Where you would work up your points to progress for extra skills/talents in said Hero tree.

That allows the new content to just be new content, makes it so outlands doesn't become what Azeroth is now. And it let's us "pretend" we got the hero classes we were promised at the start of the game.

I could go along with this, so long as they avoided some of the mistakes that Everquest did with it's AA system. First of all, getting improved abilities through it would be fine, but absolutely essential class defining abilities only obtainable through tons of grinding is not. I'm talking about things like Mass Group Buff and Pet Discipline, which were required to raid. Also, you should most definitely get "hero experience" through PvP as well. It'd also be nice if your "hero tree" didn't correspond to your talent trees.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    You all want to have a serious conversation about the ins and outs of World of Warcraft take it the the subforum.

I tried to like this game, and I really did like it, but it was so vapid and repetitive.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Ironically I'm finding time with City of Heroes/Villains

Nothing ironic about that. It's pretty well-designed for casual players.

<3 Sidekick system.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    They desparately need to put in new 20-60 content. I know the argument is that if you put too much lower level stuff in you'll spread the playerbase too thin, but as it is now there's really just not enough to do around 35-60 especially and the game starts to drag horribly.

They also need to release heroic/level 70 versions of the old world instances and raids.

The absolute last thing WOW needs is a level cap increase. What they should do is make the majority of Northrend 20-60, with a few high end level 70 instances and raids scattered about.

Jealous Deva on