As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prog and other unlistenable music

• ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    How the fuck do you fall asleep at a concert, much less a metal concert?

Narcolepsy.

Clevinger on
  • RobloRoblo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was just tired :S

and why does the fact his mother suffered after having a stroke make the music 'good'? Yes, its very sad and all that, but i dont see what it really has to do with anything...

Roblo on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    writing a song with a hidden meaning isn't inherently good.

though, I have absolutely no problem with you liking it for that reason.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    damn, more bitches need to get down on their post-modernism

'cause artists' intentions don't mean jack to their art in a post-modern worldview, homeboys

Ironically, I find post-modernism incredibly pretentious.

Yes--pretention is, in many ways, a subjective label.

man, there aren't many things in the world as pretentious as post-modernism

but the great thing is, if someone calls you pretentious for being a post-modernist, you can say

"ahh, but post-modernism is a self-defeating worldview! you can't criticise me for being a post-modernist, because I deny the objective accuracy of a post-modern worldview"

then any pretentiometers in the room explode

Bob The Monkey on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Roblo wrote: »

Well, obviously.

As to why people like Tool? I can’t personally answer for everyone, and I’m hardly someone who’s technically knowledgeable about music. But for me, I just enjoy Maynard’s soft vocals, I like the interesting time signatures, and I love Justin’s bass work. Beyond that I don’t really know, I just like the way they sound.

I’m not an obsessed fan though, I just own a couple of their albums, and I like what I’ve heard.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tool also has one of the best drummers in the world at any given time. He's the stuff legends are made out of.

jungleroomx on
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tool also has one of the best drummers in the world at any given time. He's the stuff legends are made out of.

I see your tool drummer and raise you mastodon's drummer

raaaaaar

Bob The Monkey on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

raaaaaar

I like Mastodons drummer a lot.

But no... Danny Carey is incredible. I can think of like... 2 or 3 drummers that match up to the guy that are still alive, and like 5 of all time.

(Ken Schalk, Tom Zinsor, and Carter Beauford come to mind)

jungleroomx on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As much as I hate progressive music, Carey shits over most of the other dudes because of his feel.

I rate him up there with Martin Lopez with technique and feel. Obviously Lopez had slightly less technique than Carey but his feel was amazing.

Beauford has chops and groove, as good, but a different kettle of fish.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2007
    As much as I hate progressive music, Carey shits over most of the other dudes because of his feel.

I rate him up there with Martin Lopez with technique and feel. Obviously Lopez had slightly less technique than Carey but his feel was amazing.

Beauford has chops and groove, as good, but a different kettle of fish.

I'm just talking in talent for the respective bands they play in. There's obviously a different style to each.

Schalk is a goddamned amazing drummer. He plays for a little band called Candiria that does this thing they call urban fusion. It's like... shit I don't know what. Prog noisecore mixed with hip hop and with interspersed xylophone solos. Anyway, the mans command of the kit is no less impressive than Carey's, but again, with a whole new flavor.

jungleroomx on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Roblo wrote: »

and why does the fact his mother suffered after having a stroke make the music 'good'? Yes, its very sad and all that, but i dont see what it really has to do with anything...

Didn't say it made the music good, that would make no sense whatsoever. It was a response to people saying their lyrics are shallow and mean nothing at all.

Their music is 'good' to me, in my mind, for a multitude of reasons. Agree or not, it hardly matters. But dismissing the entirety of their lyrics as meaningless is something I can argue against, and so I did.

And...Danny Carey...win.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

raaaaaar

But no... Danny Carey is incredible. I can think of like... 2 or 3 drummers that match up to the guy that are still alive, and like 5 of all time.

You forgot Mike Portnoy.

All those names are incredible, though.

One of the biggest problems with "Everyday" was the muted de-emphasis of Beauford.

MikeMan on
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »

raaaaaar

You forgot Mike Portnoy.

Also I still love Neil Pert.

CptKemzik on
    edited July 2007
    And as long as we're going for the best drummers of all time, you have to throw John Bonham in there.

MikeMan on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Didn't say it made the music good, that would make no sense whatsoever. It was a response to people saying their lyrics are shallow and mean nothing at all.

Their music is 'good' to me, in my mind, for a multitude of reasons. Agree or not, it hardly matters. But dismissing the entirety of their lyrics as meaningless is something I can argue against, and so I did.

And...Danny Carey...win.
    Yeah their lyrics are amazing stuff. With some editing their songs could make very worthy poetry collection.
    Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground.
    Silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club,
    And beat their brother down.
    How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
    Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
    To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Hoz on
    edited July 2007
    Hoz wrote: »

And...Danny Carey...win.
    Yeah their lyrics are amazing stuff. With some editing their songs could make very worthy poetry collection.
    Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground.
    Silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club,
    And beat their brother down.
    How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
    Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
    To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

You're an idiot. Comparing lyrics to poetry in a one to one comparison is stupid.

Take the lyrics of Yesterday and write them out and they just don't work. They're too repetitive. But it's a beautiful song. So quit the snarkiness.

MikeMan on
    edited July 2007
    Well, I did say with editing. No, it's not stupid to compare lyrics to poetry. I don't know what Yesterday is. And do you even know the definition of snarky?

Hoz on
  • Alchemist449Alchemist449 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And as long as we're going for the best drummers of all time, you have to throw John Bonham in there.

My Buddy Rich would like to have a talk with all of you.

Alchemist449 on
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

My Buddy Rich would like to have a talk with all of you.

<3

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well he ain't go nothin' on my boi Mitch Mitchell

CptKemzik on
    edited August 2007
    I'm impressed at the drummer knowledge in here.

That said, Raymond Herrera. That man is a fucking machine, his timing is ridiculous.

jungleroomx on
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Did I hear somebody say...Virgil Donati?

The Cheese on
    edited August 2007
    Well, I did say with editing. No, it's not stupid to compare lyrics to poetry. I don't know what Yesterday is. And do you even know the definition of snarky?

O_o

MikeMan on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm impressed at the drummer knowledge in here.

That said, Raymond Herrera. That man is a fucking machine, his timing is ridiculous.

I've considered him the best drummer ever since Demanufacture came out.

Octoparrot on
    edited August 2007

O_o
    You might be able to shame me with enlightenment, but smiley faces and a poor attitude won't do.

Hoz on
    edited August 2007

O_o
    You might be able to shame me with enlightenment, but smiley faces and a poor attitude won't do.

Yesterday is a Beatles song written by Paul McCartney. It appeared as a single off the album "Help!"

It's the single most covered song in history.

In any event, the working definition of snarky that I am operating under would be "rudely sarcastic." Which is what you were.

MikeMan on
    edited August 2007
    No, I wasn't. I don't know what's so hard to believe about me being a Tool fan. It's consistent with the rest of my posts in the thread.

Hoz on
    edited August 2007
    No, I wasn't. I don't know what's so hard to believe about me being a Tool fan. It's consistent with the rest of my posts in the thread.

Well then accept my apology. I thought you were being dismissive of Tool's lyrics. :(

MikeMan on
    edited August 2007
    Well then accept my apology.
    Apologies make me feel awkward so I feel better just ignoring everything.

Hoz on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's ok. Yesterday is meh.

VishNub on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Yesterday is a Beatles song written by Paul McCartney. It appeared as a single off the album "Help!"

It's the single most covered song in history.

99 Luftballoons is right up there too. Anybody have a list of most covered or anything like that?

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited August 2007
    VishNub wrote: »

Lyrically, it's just good enough to work. Musically, it's beautiful. And you're a communist if you think otherwise. A filthy communist.

MikeMan on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You're an idiot. Comparing lyrics to poetry in a one to one comparison is stupid.

Almost entirely without exception, lyrics are bad poetry. They're supposed to go with music--that's the point.

MrMister on
    edited August 2007
    So you say "almost", fearing the absolute, and call lyrics bad poetry. I don't understand why you limed that.

My point was that Tool's lyrics are good by the standards of poetry, with full understanding that such things aren't common. I don't really care to compare the two mediums in general terms. Anyway, poetry is poetry, it either works as the written word or it doesn't. And most of the normal poetry is bad itself.

Hoz on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Lyrically, it's just good enough to work. Musically, it's beautiful. And you're a communist if you think otherwise. A filthy communist.

Meh. Better red than... liking the Beatles.

Fucking beatles. It's an OK song. Like most of their songs, it's not BAD. It's even pretty good, but it's not the best thing in the history of ever.

Anywho, not a beatles thread. I just can't let that shit go unchallenged.

VishNub on
    edited August 2007

Meh. Better red than... liking the Beatles.

Fucking beatles. It's an OK song. Like most of their songs, it's not BAD. It's even pretty good, but it's not the best thing in the history of ever.

Anywho, not a beatles thread. I just can't let that shit go unchallenged.

no u

MikeMan on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My point was that Tool's lyrics are good by the standards of poetry, with full understanding that such things aren't common.

Well, that exerpt you posted was pretty bad poetry. I suppose we have different standards.

MrMister on
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    My point was that Tool's lyrics are good by the standards of poetry, with full understanding that such things aren't common.

Well, that exerpt you posted was pretty bad poetry. I suppose we have different standards.

Yeah I dunno...I'm pretty sure the standards of poetry like, at an academic level, would tear that apart.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Yeah a lot of poetry is better. Maybe because Tool lyrics are simple in most ways, but they're not bad at all. Coincidentally, I don't see it as a dichotomy (you know, the song is called Right In Two).

Hoz on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

raaaaaar

You forgot Mike Portnoy.

One of the biggest problems with "Everyday" was the muted de-emphasis of Beauford.

I feel that Portnoy lacks in a few areas as a drummer. Most noticeably his feel and groove. The main problem is he seems to lack the ability to do anything in a wierd feel without explicity stating whats going on. When he plays, all I hear is
    HAY GUYS LOOK WERE IN SEVEN, TWO THREE FOUR FIVE SIX SEVEN ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE SIX SEVEN ONE etc etc etc.

Virgil can mess with your mind because he can be seemless with what he's doing alot of the time. Even if I dislike his playing and the music he plays.

And Carey is smooth like butter.

The guy I do like who has chops was the Cynic drummer that played with Death on ... Individual Thought Patterns? Or the album before, he had chops and taste.

But that is just my musical opinion.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png