Options

The People are Represented by Two Separate yet Equally Important [Chat]s

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    is your store in the city proper? i will come buy an eclair sometime just for this story

We're in Evanston, Davis St. Metra or Purple Line stop, right on the corner.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Nerd is also like... 20 now.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Had a customer call us last Friday, claiming her husband had come in to get some eclairs, that one of our employees had purposefully taken a long time to fill the order, had "mockingly misunderstood" him because he was Asian (later, flat out saying our employee was racist), then had grabbed the product he wanted bare-handed and smashed it around in the box, at which point the customer left. She demanded both the order her husband had come in for, for free, plus $50 in store credit.

Oh and this had happened on Tuesday, with her waiting until Friday to call.

So we were a little shocked.

Then we went to the video. Which showed the customer being helped in under 30 seconds from the time he walked in the door. And the employee indicating the product the customer wanted on the first try. And packing the box correctly. When the employee got it up to the counter it shifted a bit, so she reshuffled everything in the box. Then the customer yells and storms out.

So we called the woman back and told her all this. She of course didn't believe it. She said we wanted to see the video. She said she was coming in on Saturday. So we prepared.

She didn't show. Not on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

She came in today though. Demanded to see it. So we showed it to her. Showed her that every single thing she'd claimed didn't happen. But of course, that didn't matter to her. Her righteous indignation over something that never actually happened was all she needed to still demand free product and store credit. She claimed we had no idea what we were doing, that we didn't know how to pack orders, that our employees grabbed things with their bare hands.

The store manager was kind of out of her element at this point, with the woman getting progressively more upset, so she went and got the owner. He came out and tried to explain it to the woman again, they watched the video, he pointed out that nothing she claimed happened actually happened. She still didn't care. She said he didn't know how to run a business, treating customers this way.

So he went and got an eclair, held it by the wrapper, held it in front of her and asked where his hand was touching it. She said she didn't care, he was still touching it.

He takes it out of the wrapper.

Jams his finger in the end where the custard gets put in.

Digs his fingers into the chocolate icing on the top.

And shakes it in her face.

And says "Lady, I made these eclairs with my bare hands, my hands have been all over them." and slaps it down on the counter.

Then tells her to shop at one of our competitors (who are actually good friends) and tell them we sent her.

Then she went and made a Yelp review, repeating all her lies, and we called her out publicly on it using the business Yelp account.

(I have video of the eclair waving.)

post the video to youtube! link to it in your yelp!

INTERNET JUSTICE

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    you should be ashamed, spool

children read this forum

Nerd isn't here any more.

Burn so sick the CDC got this post locked down

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    po
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    p
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Aren't Korean games really just war simulators to see who will finally rule over the peninsula?
    Hint: It's the Chinese
    op

have you seen that lol map of China's claims to the south China sea? It's incredible. It's just all China. All of it. Even the bits of it in other countries, that's China too.

It's hard to take any Chinese territorial claim seriously when they seem to be operating under the principle that the planet is China, the rest of us just don't know it yet.

This is actually a bit of an oversimplification of the South China Sea disputes and the Senkaku/Diaoyu dispute.

The South China Sea dispute has to be broken down into the Philippines dispute and the Vietnamese dispute.

The Philippines is mostly around the continental self since the islands are so tiny they are mostly rocks. This one is seems like a land grab but is also tied to tons of Chinese energy imports flow through this part of the world.

The Vietnamese dispute is actually based on an agreement between Mao and Ho Chi Min in the 1960s where they drew arbitrary dashes giving Vietnam territory it probably wouldn't of controlled otherwise. This was discovered to contain a good amount of hydrocarbons recently. China pushed for joint exploitation but Vietnam did unilateral exploitation then fucked up its loans and now there isn't much but platforms not producing. China really just wants the rights to tap the oil but is also in the mood to push its neighbors around.

Senkaku/Diaoyu was taken by Japan in the 1895 war with China. It was considered conquered Chinese territory and the US took ownership after WWII. In the lat 1960s a UN geological survey found oil deposits. The US gave the Island back to Japan instead of China in the 1970s. Pissed off China but it was put to the side by Deng Xiaopeng. Has come up recently as the oil deposits can now be tapped and there is an estimated 95-100 billion barrels of oil there. On top of the CCP has built a lot of legitimacy in the last 20 years off anti-Japanese rhetoric and claims on protecting and retaking Chinese land.

Wow this got to huge post size fast.

I get that the Chinese feel like they have very compelling reasons for why everyone's base are belong to them, but its still fucking bullshit. Claiming sea hundreds of miles away from your mainland, right up to the coastline of every other nation in the region is bullshit. I don't even mean the senkaku thing that could go either way, but claiming all Vietnam and the Philippines territorial waters is objectively indefenceable.

It would be the same as the UK looking at Norway and saying "well, our military is bigger than theirs and they have lots of oil, fuck it their sea belongs to us now".

The U.K. didn't do it to Norway. They did it to Iceland.

Not really. There's fuck all oil between Iceland and the UK. Also we didn't invade them or threaten to invade them or start sending our navy to sail in threatening circles around Iceland.

Yeah but you did do the whole "hundreds of miles away from you right up to the coastline of somebody else" thing there.

EDIT: also you DID send your navy

Source for the navy part? Not saying you're wrong just I never heard of it.

Also I'm looking at the UK licence holdings right now (I work for a north sea operator) and the UK area between Iceland ends well short of the pharoe islands. In other words almost exactly half way between Iceland and the UK. Not "right up to their coastline".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

it was a p big thing
    We are just comparing apples and oranges now. This started off as "its bullshit to include the coastline of another nation as part of your official territorial waters". Then it moved to "ah but you claimed all of icelands oil" (we didn't and there isn't any anyway). Now its at "you had fishing boats close to Iceland".

See how all these things are massively different in terms of severity?

we never said you claimed their oil. That was just you reading into it. We were always referring to the cod wars, as an example of one country going all NUH UH about another's EEZ.

The difference being the Chinese are ignoring an internationally agreed treaty that they signed up to and are claiming the waters to be physically part of China. The UK didn't do that. We got slightly pissy over fishing rights/a unilateral water grab by Iceland and started throwing potatoes at each other.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    yo nerds can someone tell me why windows server 2008 training is good

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    is your store in the city proper? i will come buy an eclair sometime just for this story

We're in Evanston, Davis St. Metra or Purple Line stop, right on the corner.

ah, ok. ill look for it next time we're visiting friends up in that area.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    man if either of you still have nipples left on your body, your sex is pretty tame

I bet it doesn't even involve butcher knives or meathooks

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I just signed up for weight watchers

jesus christ I get a lot of points to spend every day

eclairs.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Nerd is also like... 20 now.
    He'll always be young to me. He'll appreciate this when he's reaching retirement. And we're in the same old folks home.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Here's why me3 ending sucks.
    because transformers did it like over a decade ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1iTaPHjxuo

I don't see anything under that spoiler Kagera...nope. No video of a show I refuse to believe existed.

It happened. You have to accept that and learn to live with it.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I just signed up for weight watchers

jesus christ I get a lot of points to spend every day

eclairs.

not bad

but he should invest in some chile rellenos

like 25 points a pop

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2013
    I did once get into a conversation about comics with a dude who worked in a post office who told me that he could, if he wanted, write something as good as anything Alan Moore ever did, and have it be a massive success, but he didn't want to.

He was unconvincing, but he seemed pretty sure about it.

Bogart on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    solomaxwell6

solomaxwell6pinkhair.jpg

Too much? :P

Thank you! There's no such thing as too much Minaj.

I don't want to save it to this computer, but I'll add it after work.

Having road-tripped to Florida from Cincinnati (15 hours) in a vehicle that happened to be owned by the biggest, gayest hippie I've ever known

Yes, there is such a thing as too much Minaj. I have seen it empirically demonstrated.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Basically, customers are mostly worthless parasites sucking the lifeblood from your job and leaving you as a desiccated husk

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    But, also, you don't have to be Neil Gaiman to be a decent writer with a career.

Because, really, there is only one Neil Gaiman in human history, and only maybe a few dozen out of billions on that level.

I just finished The Graveyard Book last night. I liked it!

I haven't read that yet but I wanna.

It's the third book of his I read. I don't remember Good Omens very well, and I thought it wasn't as good as American Gods. But it's still a very good read.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Wow, that looks good. I gotta try Five Guys some day.

Dammit, now I might have to get Five Guys for lunch.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    po
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    p
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Aren't Korean games really just war simulators to see who will finally rule over the peninsula?
    Hint: It's the Chinese
    op

have you seen that lol map of China's claims to the south China sea? It's incredible. It's just all China. All of it. Even the bits of it in other countries, that's China too.

It's hard to take any Chinese territorial claim seriously when they seem to be operating under the principle that the planet is China, the rest of us just don't know it yet.

This is actually a bit of an oversimplification of the South China Sea disputes and the Senkaku/Diaoyu dispute.

The South China Sea dispute has to be broken down into the Philippines dispute and the Vietnamese dispute.

The Philippines is mostly around the continental self since the islands are so tiny they are mostly rocks. This one is seems like a land grab but is also tied to tons of Chinese energy imports flow through this part of the world.

The Vietnamese dispute is actually based on an agreement between Mao and Ho Chi Min in the 1960s where they drew arbitrary dashes giving Vietnam territory it probably wouldn't of controlled otherwise. This was discovered to contain a good amount of hydrocarbons recently. China pushed for joint exploitation but Vietnam did unilateral exploitation then fucked up its loans and now there isn't much but platforms not producing. China really just wants the rights to tap the oil but is also in the mood to push its neighbors around.

Senkaku/Diaoyu was taken by Japan in the 1895 war with China. It was considered conquered Chinese territory and the US took ownership after WWII. In the lat 1960s a UN geological survey found oil deposits. The US gave the Island back to Japan instead of China in the 1970s. Pissed off China but it was put to the side by Deng Xiaopeng. Has come up recently as the oil deposits can now be tapped and there is an estimated 95-100 billion barrels of oil there. On top of the CCP has built a lot of legitimacy in the last 20 years off anti-Japanese rhetoric and claims on protecting and retaking Chinese land.

Wow this got to huge post size fast.

I get that the Chinese feel like they have very compelling reasons for why everyone's base are belong to them, but its still fucking bullshit. Claiming sea hundreds of miles away from your mainland, right up to the coastline of every other nation in the region is bullshit. I don't even mean the senkaku thing that could go either way, but claiming all Vietnam and the Philippines territorial waters is objectively indefenceable.

It would be the same as the UK looking at Norway and saying "well, our military is bigger than theirs and they have lots of oil, fuck it their sea belongs to us now".

The U.K. didn't do it to Norway. They did it to Iceland.

Not really. There's fuck all oil between Iceland and the UK. Also we didn't invade them or threaten to invade them or start sending our navy to sail in threatening circles around Iceland.

Yeah but you did do the whole "hundreds of miles away from you right up to the coastline of somebody else" thing there.

EDIT: also you DID send your navy

Source for the navy part? Not saying you're wrong just I never heard of it.

Also I'm looking at the UK licence holdings right now (I work for a north sea operator) and the UK area between Iceland ends well short of the pharoe islands. In other words almost exactly half way between Iceland and the UK. Not "right up to their coastline".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

it was a p big thing
    We are just comparing apples and oranges now. This started off as "its bullshit to include the coastline of another nation as part of your official territorial waters". Then it moved to "ah but you claimed all of icelands oil" (we didn't and there isn't any anyway). Now its at "you had fishing boats close to Iceland".

See how all these things are massively different in terms of severity?

we never said you claimed their oil. That was just you reading into it. We were always referring to the cod wars, as an example of one country going all NUH UH about another's EEZ.

The difference being the Chinese are ignoring an internationally agreed treaty that they signed up to and are claiming the waters to be physically part of China. The UK didn't do that. We got slightly pissy over fishing rights/a unilateral water grab by Iceland and started throwing potatoes at each other.

okay?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I think I will start tracking points on Sunday, because we are going out for cocktails on saturday night

so I am going to each like a huge fatty mcfat until then

just stuffing all the lard in my face

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    man if either of you still have nipples left on your body, your sex is pretty tame

I bet it doesn't even involve butcher knives or meathooks
    sometimes i pay a lady to just lie perfectly still

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i have only read gaiman's comic work

it's okay

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Bogart wrote: »
    I did once get into a conversation about comics with a dude who worked in a post office who told me that he could, if he wanted, write something as good as anything Alan Moore ever did, and have it be a masive success, but he didn't want to.

you should hear his idea about a gang of daggers

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I did once get into a conversation about comics with a dude who worked in a post office who told me that he could, if he wanted, write something as good as anything Alan Moore ever did, and have it be a masive success, but he didn't want to.

Some people tend to be pretty sure about a lot of things they've never actually attempted or experienced.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Dawg journalism ain't dead.

Newspapers are (well, will be soon - some of them actually still enjoy a pretty large circulation!). Mainstream media is a joke, but that's only somewhat it's fault - turn thine gaze inward, viewers / listeners.

But inaccurate tweeting will only get us so far when we want to know what actually happened. And we'll always want to know what happened!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Sounds like the East Belfast guy who is dead certain Sinn Fein want to strip every British and/or Royal sounding name from public property they can get their hands on.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i have only read gaiman's comic work

it's okay

His short story and novel work is better imo

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    desc wrote: »
    Basically, customers are mostly worthless parasites sucking the lifeblood from your job and leaving you as a desiccated husk

They provide whine by the pallet.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    It is definitely cool to create something and have it last. It's also nice when folks later recognize your accomplishment.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

There are very few things that can make my boss mad, telling him he doesn't know how to run the business that he's been doing since he could walk basically is on top of the list though.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Of course, easier said than done, which is why I don't do anything.

Goddamn, I fucking hear that.

Amen brother. I've been spending a lot of time the last few years contemplating the vicious cycle I'm in of getting no real fulfillment from my job, then being so mentally exhausted by the end of the day that when I do have free time, I often choose to spend it consuming media as a method of escapism and mental disconnection, only to then later feel guilt about wasting my time, as the only times I truly am happy are when I'm engaged in some act of creation, be it as mundane as writing a forum post or discussing a process change at work, or as significant and tangible as building my arcade stick.

I want that feeling. I want to pour my energy into making something, anything, via words or wood or code, so long as I can sit back at the end of the day and say, "Yes, I fucking made that. I accomplished something."

But, even recognizing this pattern I'm in, I lack the willpower to generally do anything about it.

This is hard and absolutely soul-crushing, but you have to make the effort. You have to fail. You have to be okay with that failure. And you have to recognize what works and then use that in the next thing you do, which will also probably fail. Keep doing this until you do something that doesn't fail. Eventually, it won't be the final product that gets your wheels spinning, but the love for the process.

Oh, I'm totally comfortable with failure. I'm one of those guys that just sits down, takes a moment to assess my mistakes, then vow to correct them in the future. Failure doesn't really phase me, I learned to take criticism long ago.

It's initiative I lack. Like, yesterday I was all "fuck it I'm making a game" and then last night instead of doing anything remotely related to that I took my car to the shop, helped my wife make dinner, and watched TV with my kids until they went to bed, then watched TV with my wife until we went to bed.

That's the trap. It's so easy to just say, "Fuck it, I'm done today, brain's off the clock."

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    aaron made a sex at me last night too

it was pretty good, i enjoyed the sex he made in my vagina

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular

It's probably the most-often-deployed Microsoft server version at this time. Does the training fit into MS's certification program in a specific way? That's a selling point for sure if it does. You could also mention whether it targets 2003 admins looking to learn the new features, or if it's for current admins looking for advanced training, or if it's aimed at desktop techs looking to move up in IT.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

What does that even entail?

• Options

It's probably the most-often-deployed Microsoft server version at this time. Does the training fit into MS's certification program in a specific way? That's a selling point for sure if it does. You could also mention whether it targets 2003 admins looking to learn the new features, or if it's for current admins looking for advanced training, or if it's aimed at desktop techs looking to move up in IT.

awesome this is great thanks

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My association with shakes as having low blood sugar and being at risk of hypoglycemia was accurate: Blood sugar of 3.4! (4 is bottom of healthy range)

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Wow, that looks good. I gotta try Five Guys some day.

Dammit, now I might have to get Five Guys for lunch.

Don't forget to get the burgers and fries too lolorgyjoke.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Dawg journalism ain't dead.

Newspapers are (well, will be soon - some of them actually still enjoy a pretty large circulation!). Mainstream media is a joke, but that's only somewhat it's fault - turn thine gaze inward, viewers / listeners.

But inaccurate tweeting will only get us so far when we want to know what actually happened. And we'll always want to know what happened!

and yet CNN let go of all their investigative journalists

the Times has no more environmental desk (lol global warming wut)

twitter doesn't pay journalists, so while we know the old style of media is dying, there's nowhere for professionals to go right now

• Options
    My association with shakes as having low blood sugar and being at risk of hypoglycemia was accurate: Blood sugar of 3.4! (4 is bottom of healthy range)

Stop that!

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I've been published. And now I've been cited too.

I'm a big fucking deal.

My brother has an actual book though. So he's winning right now. Even if my parents have bought more copies than the rest of the world combined.

I should really buy a copy of your brothers book or at the very least have a flick through it and see what it's like.

sig.gif
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool is into some kinky shit yo

i would describe his sex life as. . .(wait for it). . .liberal

ooooooooh

hahahaaha :)

This discussion has been closed.