As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Old VIDEO GAME RPG thread is dead. Long live the new VIDEO GAME RPG thread!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    I finally got myself to stop caring about achievements in RPGs. It's not worth it.

I maxed out FFXIII-2 and I have most of the achievements in Blue Dragon.

The Blue Dragon ones took a ridiculously long time.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    When I was five years old my dad borrowed the original final fantasy from one of his friends, and I played the hell out of it. It's the reason I got hooked on rpgs and really gaming in general.

Of course, I accidentally returned the game to them saved in the middle of the ocean, with one guy alive, dying to poison well before he'd ever reach land.

Whoops.

ladies and gentlemen, history's greatest monster

I was 5! Or wait now that I checked release dates probably 6 but who cares!

I'm trying to remember exactly where I was but I think it was right after killing astos.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Lies

Play Star Ocean 3 and 4 instead
    DO NOT PLAY TILL THE END OF TIME

Literally the worst video game I've ever played.

My interest is piqued

Explain

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    It wasn't THAT bad. Just not as good as the second one.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    The Last Hope was way worse than 3.

I was at least able to extract some form of enjoyment from 3. Last Hope was just soul crushing in every way imaginable.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Is Last Hope the 360 one with
    the planet that blows up?

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    neville wrote: »

I think so. I've tried scrubbing my brain of all the details but I sort of remember that.

On occasion I still wake up in a cold sweat screaming 'Kay!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Star Ocean 4 has hands down the worst voice acting in the history of video games

I am not hyperbolizing that

the worst

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    neville wrote: »

I think so. I've tried scrubbing my brain of all the details but I sort of remember that.

On occasion I still wake up in a cold sweat screaming 'Kay!

I'm at like level 50 and stuck at some boss in sand caves.
    Apparently the people I've been using for the last TWENTY LEVELS are bad picks for this boss.
    So the solution? "Level them up past 50"
    really?
    REALLY?

Ugh. :|

So yeah, abandoned it for Eternal Sonata

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Eternal Sonata is a godamn gorgeous game with some also unfortunately voice acting, but not nearly as bad as SO4

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Star Ocean 4 has hands down the worst voice acting in the history of video games

I am not hyperbolizing that

the worst

Coincidentally it was Star Ocean 2 that contributed greatly towards my current practice of always listening to something else on my primary audio source and either playing the game audio also very lowly or just not playing it all, depending on the game.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Eternal Sonata is a godamn gorgeous game with some also unfortunately voice acting, but not nearly as bad as SO4

I have herd way worse

Eternal sonata also happens to make up for it based on the fact that it is great

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    For real, Star Ocean 2's VA is straight terrible

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Eternal Sonata is an excellent game but fuck the new game+ mode.

Shit gets too hard too fast. I couldn't even get past the first boss...granted I didn't try very hard.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Star Ocean 3 just has really bizarre difficulty curves and a bad story that takes a real veer into the "seriously Japan, seriously?" territory towards the end of the game

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I don't know if I ever finished Star Ocean 2. It's been so long...I remember getting to an arena, trying to create some item that gives your character an automatic level increase, and doing that for about about 500 hours nonstop trying to max all of my characters.

Don't think I ever finished it though.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Star Ocean 3 just has really bizarre difficulty curves and a bad story that takes a real veer into the "seriously Japan, seriously?" territory towards the end of the game

Whichever Star Ocean on 360 I played was annoying with the main character.
    NEVER have I had a main char I hated as much as that guy for a while.
    NO I WON'T DO ANYTHING TO INTERFERE.

Shit or get off the pot, you little bitch.
    Seriously, it was painful to listen to that crap for /hours/

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    The Star Ocean 1 and 2 remakes for the PSP improved the voice acting a bit.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Lies

Play Star Ocean 3 and 4 instead
    DO NOT PLAY TILL THE END OF TIME

Literally the worst video game I've ever played.

My interest is piqued

Explain

It's been seven years and I still have yet to encounter a game that disappointed and/or frustrated me so thoroughly. It still felt like a tutorial at a point when even FF13 had opened up.
    I didn't play another jrpg for five years, because it ruined the genre for me by taking every typical flaw found in average jrpgs and magnifying those flaws to the point to the point where, when I did try other jrpgs, I couldn't feel anything but weary of the genre. It's that bad.

• Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    @neville Are you just looking for straight up JRPGs? Because Dragon's Dogma is pretty awesome, but it's a completely open-world action RPG, so it might not be what you're looking for.

• Options
    @neville Are you just looking for straight up JRPGs? Because Dragon's Dogma is pretty awesome, but it's a completely open-world action RPG, so it might not be what you're looking for.

@Vargas Prime Eh, I mean classic JRPG is my favorite. Traditionally the turn-based systems were done because of technical reasons but I actually enjoy that way more than the action-y ones usually... I don't want to have to be a great fighting game champion just to win battles in my RPG.

That said, I'm okay with some systems (Eternal Sonata's system is pretty awesome so far, imo).

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I ever finished Star Ocean 2. It's been so long...I remember getting to an arena, trying to create some item that gives your character an automatic level increase, and doing that for about about 500 hours nonstop trying to max all of my characters.

I never beat it. I was really, really close and then my memory card wiped.

FUCK YOU, SONY, AND YOUR SHITTY MEMORY CARDS. ESPECIALLY THIRD PARTY ONES, BUT EVEN OFFICIAL ONES WERE LITERALLY DOGSHIT

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    The crafting system in Star Ocean is kinda addicting. I spent more time making counterfeit things and forgeries than getting through the final dungeon.

Also cooking, could never stop cooking.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

I never beat it. I was really, really close and then my memory card wiped.

FUCK YOU, SONY, AND YOUR SHITTY MEMORY CARDS. ESPECIALLY THIRD PARTY ONES, BUT EVEN OFFICIAL ONES WERE LITERALLY DOGSHIT

this is why I've never beaten FFVII

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    The crafting system in Star Ocean is kinda addicting. I spent more time making counterfeit things and forgeries than getting through the final dungeon.

I think of combat in Oblivion and Skyrim as that thing that gets in the way of harvesting and crafting. ;)

Then again, if a crafting system is in-depth enough, it can be more fiddly interesting than, "nuke it with fire" in any game.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I loved breaking the crap out of smithing on my first character in Skyrim

was good, fun times

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Seemed like a good thread to drop this in.

While we're on the subject, there's also

Wasteland 2

Shadowrun Returns

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »

I think of combat in Oblivion and Skyrim as that thing that gets in the way of harvesting and crafting. ;)

Then again, if a crafting system is in-depth enough, it can be more fiddly interesting than, "nuke it with fire" in any game.

Keep crafting, break game.

Star Ocean, 2 and 3, are all designed where you can break the game by abusing the crafting system and the skill system.

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Lufia 2 was the best snes era JRPG

Still remember the main doom isle music, and the moment at the end of the game when you realize you're reenacting the prologue of the first game and what exactly that means

• Options
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Lufia 2 was the best snes era JRPG

Still remember the main doom isle music, and the moment at the end of the game when you realize you're reenacting the prologue of the first game and what exactly that means

I'd say that the Lufia games were some of the best, but not the best.

They do, however, occupy space up near the top of my list of games I would replay, such as Final Fantasy VI, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, to name only RPGs.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Wasteland 2

Shadowrun Returns

I keep forgetting I paid for those games

I'm going to continue forgetting that until a Steam key for each one shows up in my email

Same for Republique and The Banner Saga

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    You jerks are giving me the itch to play SNES era JRPGs again.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Wasteland 2

Shadowrun Returns

I keep forgetting I paid for those games

I'm going to continue forgetting that until a Steam key for each one shows up in my email

Same for Republique and The Banner Saga

wouldn't hold out for The Banner Saga, personally.
    recent article on gamasutra about why kickstarter for video games is becoming horrible
    (in their case, they made a bunch of extra money... and have been working solely on a game NONE of us paid to fund and many of us wouldnt have paid if that was the game promised... the single player game is now likely end of year or sometime 2014.)

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I feel like a new Torment-esque RPG would essentially require Avellone as lead writer for me to have much faith in it doing well as a narrative.

• Options
    You jerks are giving me the itch to play SNES era JRPGs again.

It's gonna be bad for me when they make all of the Wii VC games available on the Wii U with the ability to play them on the tablet.

I'm gonna be glued to the controller.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    so their new kickstarter?

• Options
    I want a Buffyverse RPG

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    What I want to know is, does anyone keep a notebook of all the RPGs they've ever played with the number of times beaten and their own personal score out of 10?

Because if someone did that it would be silly. >.>

• Options
    Schide wrote: »
    What I want to know is, does anyone keep a notebook of all the RPGs they've ever played with the number of times beaten and their own personal score out of 10?

Because if someone did that it would be silly. >.>

An actual notebook no, but if pressed I could probably make one in a day-ish.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    jesus christ nier is making me feel so many feelings

it is fucking soul-crushing