Options

[Video Game Industry Thread] Nobody is Buying Anything.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I honestly think the WiiU will be fine once the big main franchise games are out.

I bought the damn thing for Pikmin 3, and nothing else. As I try new games here and there, and learn about what's out there, it has only gotten better and better for me. ZombiU is the definitive Wii U pickup, more so than Mario (I know its not but it should be.) Zen Pinball is amazing on it. Fun cheap stuff here and there in their shop. I assumed Nintendo Land was free fluff, but when I tried it I was very sorry I didn't play it sooner.

The real test (for me) is if the online play for Smash Brothers works.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I love Nintendo so much, and still remember getting an NES at my grandma's one Christmas Day, but look at the shit Nintendo did during the NES era and it's probably for the best that they got some competition from SEGA and later Sony.

This is true.

When Nintendo ran the world, they treated developers like shit. They were Wal-mart bad in terms of the contracts they forced on other companies. That kind of thing doesn't just wipe off with a moist towelette, and when the Playstation came out and offered an alternative that was cheaper and better contracts all around, just about everybody jumped ship.

Nintendo turned it around, certainly, but they're still kind of rebuilding all those bridges that they electrified and set on fire back in the day.

I want to know more about this.

A lot of it wasn't specifically being dicks or anything, they just got to make the rules. They censored violence and religion in games, they forced you to commit to so many thousand cartridge print runs in bulk, and they limited game companies to putting out no more than 6 titles a year or something like that. Some companies got around that by making a puppet company for their lower-tier games. They had a lock-out chip to prevent unlicensed software from running on the system and got pretty pissed when some companies figured out how to defeat the lock.

Generally things that were good for business and had logical sense behind them, inconvenient for some to be sure but they weren't major assholes for the sake of assholishness.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Their stance on censorship also came to a rather ironic conclusion and started to taper off slightly once a particular court case with them as the defendant culminated in the establishment of the ESRB.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I love Nintendo so much, and still remember getting an NES at my grandma's one Christmas Day, but look at the shit Nintendo did during the NES era and it's probably for the best that they got some competition from SEGA and later Sony.

This is true.

When Nintendo ran the world, they treated developers like shit. They were Wal-mart bad in terms of the contracts they forced on other companies. That kind of thing doesn't just wipe off with a moist towelette, and when the Playstation came out and offered an alternative that was cheaper and better contracts all around, just about everybody jumped ship.

Nintendo turned it around, certainly, but they're still kind of rebuilding all those bridges that they electrified and set on fire back in the day.

Sony ended up being the absolute peak, the unmatched culmination of Nintendo's hubris that ended up biting them in the ass for the next...going on twenty years for now.

I actually have to kind of thank Nintendo for what they did at this point.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

This is true.

A lot of it wasn't specifically being dicks or anything, they just got to make the rules. They censored violence and religion in games, they forced you to commit to so many thousand cartridge print runs in bulk, and they limited game companies to putting out no more than 6 titles a year or something like that. Some companies got around that by making a puppet company for their lower-tier games. They had a lock-out chip to prevent unlicensed software from running on the system and got pretty pissed when some companies figured out how to defeat the lock.

Generally things that were good for business and had logical sense behind them, inconvenient for some to be sure but they weren't major assholes for the sake of assholishness.

Agreed. Nintendo HAD to do something about all the shovelware being developed for the NES. After the industry crashed because there was no quality control, Nintendo had to get tough on developers and demand the standards be raised.

Yes, it bit them in the bottom later on but the alternative could have been another crash that would have ended the video game industry entirely.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I honestly think the WiiU will be fine once the big main franchise games are out.

Yeah. I'll probably buy one once the first party titles roll out(the new Zelda, Smash, hopefully a Metroid that isn't horrible). As it is there isn't anything that interests me in getting one this minute.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Yeah. I'll probably buy one once the first party titles roll out(the new Zelda, Smash, hopefully a Metroid that isn't horrible). As it is there isn't anything that interests me in getting one this minute.

I still think sales may also pick up when the competition reveals the last details of their consoles. People are holding out. Though yeah, Nintendo 1st party stuff will have a bigger impact.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    A lot of their initial prudishness, in particular, was also rooted in the fact that there were no game ratings boards back in the early days of Nintendo in the American marketplace, they were censoring themselves because there was literally noone else to hold them to a ratings standard and they had a mainstream image to uphold.

These days they just don't put in much material that could be considered as offensive because none of their core franchises are built upon premises that wander into the kind of territory where that sort of content is warranted or might arise to become an issue.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hubris is the end-all of game development. Sony's preference of having engineers make products without budget concerns leads to things like the PS3, and Microsoft letting a single man lead the vision of Windows 8 to the detriment of other developments and capitalizing on momentum will probably be theirs.

It doesn't kill companies, just puts them on their heels.

Anecdotally, I tried to buy NSFMW:U ... Really, REALLY tried. But as MH3 and Lego came out that same week, I was trying to do the B2G1 at Target. But Target decided not to ship any to my local store, meaning I'd have to drive 45 minutes away to pick it up.

Yeah.. I ended up buying Fall of Cybertron instead.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Njashi9Njashi9 Registered User regular

This is true.

Here's a youtube series that goes into the history of Nintendo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0gNaUib4UU

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Athenor wrote: »
    Hubris is the end-all of game development. Sony's preference of having engineers make products without budget concerns leads to things like the PS3, and Microsoft letting a single man lead the vision of Windows 8 to the detriment of other developments and capitalizing on momentum will probably be theirs.

Anecdotally, I tried to buy NSFMW:U ... Really, REALLY tried. But as MH3 and Lego came out that same week, I was trying to do the B2G1 at Target. But Target decided not to ship any to my local store, meaning I'd have to drive 45 minutes away to pick it up.

Win 8.1 blue, basically the first service pack for win8 will contain a toggle to boot straight to desktop and possible one for the metro interface to replace it with the normal start screen, so all those people who were afraid of the change and couldn't give it a chance can stop complaining. As the rest of the OS is great and improves on win7 in just about every area.

MS has learned from competitors and it's own past mistakes and is moving to a faster development model, so they can react to customer reactions and new tech faster.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

I probably wouldn't have bought NFSMW:U if EA's own Origin store hadn't done a 50% off sale of the game on its release date.

• Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    Its kinda interesting how Nintendo kept shooting themselves in the same foot over and over. Lost a lot of 3rd party developers and a lot of clout by going with a low memory cartridges during the N64 era. So what do they do next generation? They go with a low capacity CDs, while other systems let developers shoot for the moon in terms of technology.
    It seems that lack of 3rd party support has been hurting them for a while now, and it partially boils down to competitive console specs. Consumers always flocked to high powered systems. NES and SNES were ahead of the curve when they came out, and did great. Following iterations of their consoles fared poorly in comparison. Thats not the only reason, of course, but I cant stop thinking that it is a major contributing factor.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I think the real problem the WiiU has is that third parties have already made the strongest statement they could have on how they feel about it: No Bioshock, no Tomb Raider, no XCOM, no Far Cry 3, EA basically ignoring them and so on. These are all excellent games and the fact there is no WiiU version of any of them is indicating how it is going to go, yet again. Plus with another situation where the WiiU will be left as the underpowered console vs. the oppositions machines (which are even on PC architecture making them easier to develop for) and I think Nintendo will just have to concede the third party race already.

Honestly for me that is basically my decision never to buy a WiiU made. I am no longer enamored with Nintendo franchises like Super Mario. For example, I thought NSMBWiiU was entirely derivative and I didnt feel the touch pad added anything significant to multiplayer. I found ZombieU very disappointing and there is always the possibility of a superior port to another system with that game knowing Ubisoft. Lego City is the only WiiU game I think is genuinely great right now and I really want, but the release schedule I know will be completely barren of things I want to play (or things I would, but would get on my 360 anyway).

I honestly don't see anything changing for the WiiU and unless Nintendo do something genuinely amazing with say, Zelda or similar I am not going to buy the system at all.

Now the 3DS on the other hand, now that I really do want.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

Win 8.1 blue, basically the first service pack for win8 will contain a toggle to boot straight to desktop and possible one for the metro interface to replace it with the normal start screen, so all those people who were afraid of the change and couldn't give it a chance can stop complaining. As the rest of the OS is great and improves on win7 in just about every area.

MS has learned from competitors and it's own past mistakes and is moving to a faster development model, so they can react to customer reactions and new tech faster.

Having no interest in a massive-tile-based interface that's great for touch screens and ass compared to being able to have virtually every program you want accessible through clickable icons is hardly being "afraid of change". Making that the standard interface was a massive fuck-up on Microsoft's part, simply because there no damn good reason to take something that works great and everybody recognizes and throw it out the window for something that's good for a very, very specific type of hardware.

I'm genuinely considering a Windows 8 touchscreen system for my next portable system, but that interface is awful for standard PC. Why would I ever bother upgrading to something that is less useful and convenient than what I already have?

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    muninn wrote: »
    Consumers always flocked to high powered systems.

No they don't. Historically the most powerful system is rarely the sales leader.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular

If you are even the most minor Transformers fan, that was the right choice. It's not the ULTIMATE ultimate action game but I'll happily put it up there with the likes of Arkham Asylum as "Franchise games done right".

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    WiiU will probably end up just a 1st and 2nd party machine, which will still make Nintendo money in the long run.

I'll echo the sentiment that the next system will probably be a handheld that streams to the TV with the almost zero lag of the WiiU, although Nintendo would still want to have a focus on multiplayer couch gaming, since that has always been their bag.
    muninn wrote: »
    Consumers always flocked to high powered systems.

No they don't. Historically the most powerful system is rarely the sales leader.

Haven't you heard? The Wii and PS2 totally don't count because reasons.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's more like people are idiots and think that the popular system must be the most powerful. Get Gamefaqs to do a survey asking to rank last generations systems in order of power, and the majority will go PS2 > Xbox> Gamecube. When the reality is the exact opposite.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the gamecube out-powered the Xbox?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's more like people are idiots and think that the popular system must be the most powerful. Get Gamefaqs to do a survey asking to rank last generations systems in order of power, and the majority will go PS2 > Xbox> Gamecube. When the reality is the exact opposite.

I thought the Xbox was more powerful than the Gamecube?

• Options
    Hmm, at least I'm fairly sure it was, if only by a hair. If I'm wrong, I'm happy to eat my own foot. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i'm pretty sure a big deal was made over the Gamecube being the underpowered cousin with its proprietary 1.5gb mini DVD etc

• Options
    Yeah, I think you might be right. IGNORE ME!

Though the ultimate point is that it did beat the pants off the PS2. And yet people will say it was weaker than it.

• Options
    seems you are almost right, the Xbox was only a shade more powerful than the Gamecube, and both were significantly ahead of the PS2

I think that people who say the PS2 was more powerful are letting their impressions of the PS3 colour their memories.

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    The xbox was more powerful but I think a lot of people would agree that the gamecube pushed graphical boundaries more that generation with games like Zelda, Metroid, and REmake.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    even rogue leader was revolutionary when it came out. i remember drooling over the explosions trailer for that game a year before the GCN even came out.

i wonder if it still looks as good comparitively.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I do think E3 will be interesting for the other consoles. The WiiU does have a year head start, even if it's primary focus is Nintendo games. There's nothing I've heard from either Sony or Microsoft regarding launch-day games for their next consoles, and they'll have to start building up the hype after E3 if there's going to be anything different on their end.

The game I'm most excited for is Dark Souls 2, which is a PS3/this gen game.

But I'm not at all interested in the games coming out for WiiU. Everything I'm hearing seems to be from fans of previous Nintendo games hoping that the Wii U version "does it right this time." Cantido at the top of page 93 says that he hopes Smash Bros online play works. That's a pretty low bar, to be honest, yet there's no guarantee that Nintendo will accomplish that. Something as simple as online play?!

The real advantage for 3rd parties developing for your system in such quantity is that they help carry the torch, even if they're releasing multi-platform games. When a 3rd party developer releases the first big Xbox720/PS4 game, it will help push people over the edge on the system they prefer. With the Wii so underpowered and different compared to them, though, I still don't see how Nintendo is going to get developers to release these same-day. I mean, I don't think Microsoft and Sony do much as it is, since it's in a company's best interest to release a game at the same time for all systems (if they're going to, that is) in order to maximize cross-platform sales.

The saving grace for the Wii U may lie in the fact that, like most of the recent Nintendo systems, it gets unique, interesting games that can only be played effectively on the Wii U. It's early days, so who knows, but I do think it's sad that I firmly believe such a game would not come from Nintendo themselves.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    The real problem with the Wii U is that it's a Gamecube HD. They ignored everything that made the Wii successful and are instead falling back into the old rut of making things based on what Miyamoto, Aonuma, and Sakamoto want to make, no matter how weird or off-putting they are, and thinking that everyone has deep-running nostalgia for 1997.

Since they announced this think and Nintendoland, I have been wondering who the heck this thing is for. Graphically, it's a sideways step from current-gen systems, so it's not for people who own those. It's got the largest, most complex pack-in controller in console history, and the motion controller has been demoted to a mere peripheral, so it's not for people who don't like traditional consoles. It was being marketed with a Nintendo mascot nostalgia-fest that had the visual aesthetic of a toddler theme park, so it's not for the people drawn to Wii Fit and Wii Sports.

Unsurprisingly, a console that's not really for anyone is not being purchased by anyone except the Nintendo hardcore, who decline in number every generation.

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Options
    i dont really know what nintendo could have done differently with the wii U.

microsoft already has better motion control tech and nintendo has never liked competing on the power console front

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i dont really know what nintendo could have done differently with the wii U.

Wii HD with further improved motion controls.

and/or

Drop the stupid tablet.

and/or

Release it five years earlier.

or

Release it one year later with significantly beefier stats.

• Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    Nintendo let themselves get in a place where the timing of all their big software releases are dictated entirely by development times. What I mean is, they did Mario Galaxy 2, two years later they released 3D Land, and now the two-year development time for the next title means it'll come out about a year after the Wii U launched. They released Mario Kart 7 at the same time as 3D Land and now the two-year development time for that means that the Wii U version will come out about a year after the console launched too. Same with Zelda: Skyward Sword came out around the same time as Galaxy 2 and MK7, leaving them no chance of getting a Zelda out during the first year. I mean a world without Galaxy 2 would be a poorer place but it would be a world where the 3DS and Wii U could have launched with a 3D Mario game.

They launched with NSMBU, but I don't think the 2D Mario series is the console-selling uber-tentpole they seemed to think it is.

Gone.
  • Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Kinect is not better than the Wii. Buttons are actually pretty handy, and you can't play 4-player games. Here's what they could have done:

1. Improve the WiiM+ controller. Maybe replace the solitary B button with several buttons. Whatever you do, base it on actual research with customers like when you made it initially, not based on what Miyamoto thinks is cool. Make this the pack-in controller.
    2. Tell Miyamoto to shut the fuck up; GC-GBA connectivity failed, and he doesn't get to try again by making it a pack-in.
    3. Tell him to shut the fuck up again; Nintendo nostalgia does not sell consoles and he needs to make a better Wii Sports, not Santa's Workshop: Nintendo Edition. And no one cares about WuuHuu Island; they just want to play some fucking tennis.
    4. Tell him no one fucking cares if he likes making 3D Mario more. People like playing and buying 2D Mario more, so that game's going to get the bigger budget, the bigger staff, and the better production values. If he wants to recycle textures and music for 3D Mario, fine, but 2D Mario is the flagship series from now on, and that shit won't fly.
    5. Hey look, since your controller isn't huge and stupid now, you have 2GB for games now instead of 1!
    6. Fire Sakamoto.
    7. All that money they're saving by not putting big-ass tablet in the box? Put a decent hard drive in the system.
    8. Virtual Console is fucking critical you fucking fucktards, not Nintendo Twitter or Miiverse.
    9. Hey, now that you don't have Nintendo Twitter or Miiverse or a tablet, your dash doesn't take six days to load!
    10. Launch with the best goddamned 2D Mario since Mario 3.
    11. Fire Aonuma.
    12. Hey, I heard THQ's having a fire sale! Head on down to Bob's IP & Live Bait and buy yourself a fresh batch of Saint's Row and Darksiders! I heard there are some talented people out of work; time to form a second American studio stateside to fill in the critical gaps in your first-party library.
    13. Online fucking matters in this day and age. Why doesn't someone in your company buy an Xbox and a PS3 and figure out what the people who have been doing it for almost ten years now are doing right?

Just a few ideas.

fearsomepirate on
    Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Options
    SichoSicho Wellenstein, Luxembourg, EuropeRegistered User regular
    Nintendo don't NEED to compete with Sony and Microsoft. Sony and Microsoft compete in the video game market. Nintendo is a market of its own.
    As long as they are making money, they are fine. They don't need to be "number one".

And I personally think, like the Wii, the Wii U is the perfect console to have next to a PC and/or a Sony or MS console. They don't need to convince customers, to buy a Wii U INSTEAD of a PS4 or a Xbox, they need to convince to buy a Wii U IN ADDITION to a PS4 or an Xbox. And they will do so by releasing games, that "everyone" wants to play but that aren't available elsewhere. Don't underestimate the power of Mario Kart!

And surely don't underestimate the power of kids, when the Pokémon Skylanders thing will come out ...

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Sicho wrote: »
    Nintendo don't NEED to compete with Sony and Microsoft. Sony and Microsoft compete in the video game market. Nintendo is a market of its own.

I know Nintendo fans like to say this, but it just aint true. Nintendo makes video games and video game hardware, Sony and Microsoft make video games and video game hardware, they all compete with each other. Hell, they also have to compete with Apple who strictly speaking aren't making video games or video game hardware, but they all exist on the same general entertainment market and therefore are in competition with one another.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    "Nintendo is a market of its own. "

Which is? Because I look at how the Wii U is selling and their market seems a bit too small for their own good. Remember, so far the Wii U is their worst selling console since the fucking Virtual Boy.

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    The tablet controller is the best idea in a long time and I'm going to me massively disappointed it isn't adopted more. So many games are blatantly designed around the limited interface of what normal buttons provide. In other words I'm goddamn sick of every game limiting access to 4 of whatever they use because that's what they can map to the d-pad. Or dealing with stuff like RE6's horrible interface.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Dac Vin wrote: »

Which is? Because I look at how the Wii U is selling and their market seems a bit too small for their own good. Remember, so far the Wii U is their worst selling console since the fucking Virtual Boy.

Yeah, "I have no competitors" is something a business never wants to say. It implies there is no market for what you're selling.

EDIT - And the fact that I just really want SSB with working online play is pretty miserable come to think of it. Don't tell me "oh, it's meant for local," I'm far away from my family and can't do that anymore. I want fucking online.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SichoSicho Wellenstein, Luxembourg, EuropeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Dac Vin wrote: »

which won't matter as soon as a Mario Kart or a Pokémon etc. comes out.
    Hell Mario Kart Wii sold what .. 32 Mio. units?
    If only 10% of those who bought Mario Kart Wii would consider buying a Wii U for a new Mario Kart, and if of those 10% only half would actually do it, it would still equal 1.6 million sales!
    and that's just one game of many bestselling series Nintendo could (and will) release in the future.

Sicho on
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    With the current Wii U trends, 10% is incredibly optimistic.

This discussion has been closed.