Options

[Mechwarrior:Online] Missile HSR is in. Mvrck is the happiest person alive.

1939495969799»

• Options
    BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    BillGates wrote: »
    TL;DR If you do something bad

Bad by what objective standard?
    that literally almost everyone hates

Literally almost everyone except the scads of people doing it?

What is your sample for your claim about the opinion of "literally almost everyone"?

Yourself?

People on this forum?

Not even "literally almost everyone" on this forum agrees with you.

You like fighting 6PPC STKS? Honestly, do you?

The standard that makes people hate playing the game with just ONE 4 ER PPC or 6 PPC STK? Do you honestly need me to show it to you? It's...all around you.

Do you think the PA people here like fighting 6 PPC STK's? Everyone that I played with on vent seemed to dread fighting a game with a 6 PPC STK. "Oh god guys, it's a 6 PPC STK". "Shit, it's a hexaPPC". "Fuck, not another one of those things".

Do I really need to show you evidence from the official forums? A quick look should be all you need...

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/122169-forget-heat-penalties-a-comprehensive-balance-solution-to-alphas-convergence-boats-and-clans/

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/122591-actual-heat-scale-and-cap-tested-via-testing-grounds/

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/122388-paul-the-consequence-of-the-heat-solution-inside/

All related to the fixes proposed by PGI for Alpha Builds (Because they know it's broken), The heat system and how it can fix Alpha Builds (Because PPC's are broken), all directly relating to PPC's, because they are broken.

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ...double.

BillGates on
    Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

So our standard for judging people "good" (as opposed to "bad") is that they must use builds we enjoy fighting against?

OK, everybody who uses anything tougher than the Tickle Me Atlas (small pulses, machine guns, and NARCs all the way down) is now "bad."

I have spoken!
    Do I really need to show you evidence from the official forums?

I wouldn't, if I were you. The opinions of official forum denizens are not usually taken very seriously around here.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Bill, the hexaPPC Stalker is about to get hit with the nerfbat.

I am 100% certain that people using that build aren't bad, just using something extremely specialized and wide open to counterplay. Like getting flanked. Stalkers get fucking mulched by anything fast enough to get out of its 60 degree torso twist range.

Usually when I say "Shit a hexaPPC Stalker" or "Boomjager coming in!" over Vent it's because it's a rather large threat unless dealt with quickly. Which, usually, they can be.

Not because it's some dreadful thing that makes me scared. Unless they're already shooting at me.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    One day I hope to hear someone say "OH GOD A POGOSTICK BLACKJACK!"

I don't think that day is coming any time soon though. :(

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Pogostick blackjack sounds like the next killer build. Gonna get in on that

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    So host state rewind isn't working for me anymore... not even lasers...

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    I'm not gonna wish a pox on the 6 ppc stalker I see on the enemy team. I am going to refuse to engage him until my Oosik lancemates can alpha him down with me.

To be honest, 6PPC stalkers are only truly dangerous before they fire and reveal themselves; once you know where they are it's generally possible to plot an indirect path to them that puts you within their minimum range... Then they are totally fucked. Most reasonable pilots know this too and as soon a they seen you coming close to their minimum range they tend to panic and run away (they're slow do that doesn't help) or fire too much and overheat.

Provided you are not the first schmo nuked by him, they are generally one of the easier mechs to kill.

• Options
    edited June 2013

So our standard for judging people "good" (as opposed to "bad") is that they must use builds we enjoy fighting against?

OK, everybody who uses anything tougher than the Tickle Me Atlas (small pulses, machine guns, and NARCs all the way down) is now "bad."

I have spoken!
    Do I really need to show you evidence from the official forums?

I wouldn't, if I were you. The opinions of official forum denizens are not usually taken very seriously around here.

Regardless of how you feel whats broken or not is up to you. But you are not going to tell me the community doesn't hate boating PPC's. Because that has been the reason behind the new heat mechanic by PGI, the AMA's that have numerous people complain and what would be done about it, the community in general hates it, PA is not the only community. Even though I have not talked to a PA person on vent who seems to not mind fighting PPC STK's. Everyone complains about them. Everyone hates fighting them.

Edit - Missed a part.

The links i have posted are not QQ'ing or people simply screaming nerf. They are clear concise reasons as to why PPC's are the way they are, how they can be boated to abused, and some suggest ways to correct them. Some of the general forums are actually useful.

MechMantis wrote: »
    Bill, the hexaPPC Stalker is about to get hit with the nerfbat.

I am 100% certain that people using that build aren't bad, just using something extremely specialized and wide open to counterplay. Like getting flanked. Stalkers get fucking mulched by anything fast enough to get out of its 60 degree torso twist range.

Usually when I say "Shit a hexaPPC Stalker" or "Boomjager coming in!" over Vent it's because it's a rather large threat unless dealt with quickly. Which, usually, they can be.

Not because it's some dreadful thing that makes me scared. Unless they're already shooting at me.

Outside of tournament play, there is no reason to go down to that level. They are broken, they have been broken for a while, this is nothing new. The Devs agree, the community agrees, they are to strong. If you feel you need to try that hard in a normal game, then I don't really know what to say to you.

You want to play that way, go ahead. No one can stop you. But if you think people aren't going to criticize you for doing such a (IMO) piss poor cheesy build, then you are sadly mistaken. You probably won't get flack from PA people, but you will most certainly from pubs and from organized clans who pride in killing people who ruin the game. Yes, running a boating mech ruins the game, you are making the meta stale and abusing something that is clearly broken. A majority of the time a Hexa PPC or Quad ER PPC dies or even anything thats boating dies they always get mocked and taunted for having the "OP build destroyed". This doesn't really apply to launchers, since they are now mostly fixed with the exception of SSRMS. And SRM's could use a slight buff.

Does that make you a bad player? No probably not. The players in question are probably decent at the game. Will the community in general think you are bad? Yes.

BillGates on
  • Options
    Outside of tournament play, there is no reason to go down to that level.

What level, playing intelligently to counter the enemy's builds and tactics?

May your goosery die with this old and busted thread.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Except there is every reason to "go down to that level"

Because he might find it fun to have an instagib rifle. I know I probably would if I ran Stalkers. Is it cheesy? Yeah, kinda. Is it beatable? Oh hell yes.

Also, I love fighting standard PPC Stalkers. Get right up in his face and laugh and laugh and laugh.

ERPPC Stalkers require more care to deal with. But if they miss that one shot, they're plain fucked.

EDIT: whoops didn't realize this was the old thread

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Playing intelligently? You're telling me throwing 6 PPC's and as much heat sinks you can on a STK is...intelligent?

And it counters everything. It's good against, everything.

May your logic die in this thread.
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Except there is every reason to "go down to that level"

Because he might find it fun to have an instagib rifle. I know I probably would if I ran Stalkers. Is it cheesy? Yeah, kinda. Is it beatable? Oh hell yes.

Also, I love fighting standard PPC Stalkers. Get right up in his face and laugh and laugh and laugh.

ERPPC Stalkers require more care to deal with. But if they miss that one shot, they're plain fucked.

So be it, let he/she have their fun. I don't have a problem with them having fun. But when that said "fun" ruins it for everyone else on the enemy team, don't expect them to take it nicely.

BillGates on
  • Options
    Now now everyone, go dance the dance of the dakka in the shiny new thread. <3

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Playing intelligently? You're telling me throwing 6 PPC's and as much heat sinks you can on a STK is...intelligent?

No, I'm saying countering the hexaPPC Stalker by exploiting its manifest weaknesses as Mantis suggested is playing intelligently. But apparently to you that much effort is not worth it outside "tournament level play."
    May your logic die in this thread.

So it won't be there to make you look silly in the next one? I'm sure you'd like that.

But there would still be plenty of other people around to burst your bubble every time you start holding forth, if the past is any guide.

Gaslight on