Options

Work appropriate [chat]

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

OH SHIIIIII

Fucking A this is great! Basically solves the last problem I had with DLing games.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Holy shit, Steam steppin' up to like the one feature on the XB1 that's interesting. Nice.

What's to stop a family from growing to 200 members? All of [chat] could agree to sign up for a family plan and swap games back and forth willy nilly instead of everyone buying their own copy during a sale.

The limit of 10 people (I think that's what it is), that's what.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

Holy shit, Steam steppin' up to like the one feature on the XB1 that's interesting. Nice.

What's to stop a family from growing to 200 members? All of [chat] could agree to sign up for a family plan and swap games back and forth willy nilly instead of everyone buying their own copy during a sale.

only one user may use a library at a time

I'm playing my brother's copy of Awesome Recent Game? He can't play Another Game

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that there isn't a boxed retail licence for Office anymore, only the subscription thing.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    japan wrote: »
    I was under the impression that there isn't a boxed retail licence for Office anymore, only the subscription thing.
    Office 2013 is still around for companies that want to sink a one-time cost. I think its a 400 dollar license.

365 is what Microsoft WANTS people to buy though.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    TTODewback wrote: »
    You can walk into walmart and purchase the basic version of office for like $90.
    Why would you pay an annual license of $100?

You need outlook, access, publisher and/or visio, and don't want to pay $400 all at once for a piece of software you might end up regularly upgrading(something really only business should even think about doing).

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

The limit of 10 people (I think that's what it is), that's what.

What is this, china?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/familysharing/discussions/0/846964363934331891/
    I want to try this! How can I join the Family Sharing Beta?
    To express interest in beta participation, join the Family Sharing Group on the Steam community. The Family Sharing beta will begin in about a week, when a thousand Steam accounts from this group will be granted access to share their Steam libraries. You’ll know you’ve been selected when you receive an email from Steam inviting you to try out the new feature.

How do I enable Family Sharing on my computer?
    Family Sharing is enabled in one of two ways: You can either locally enable sharing in Account Settings, with Family Sharing & Devices, or remotely respond to a user’s Steam request to share your previously installed games via email.

Is there a limit to the number of devices I can authorize to share my Library?
    Yes. A Steam account may authorize Family Sharing on up to 10 devices at a given time.

Can I share specific games, or do I have to share my whole library?
    Libraries are shared and borrowed in their entirety.

Can all Steam games be shared with friends and family?
    No, due to technical limitations, some Steam games may be unavailable for sharing. For example, titles that require an additional third-party key, account, or subscription in order to play cannot be shared among friends and family.

Can a friend and I share a library and both play at the same time?
    No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

When I authorize a device to lend my library to others, do I limit my own ability to access and play my games?
    As the lender, you may always access and play your games at any time. If you decide to start playing when a friend is already playing one of your games, he/she will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

Sometimes the games I’ve borrowed are unavailable for me to play. Why?
    Borrowed games are only available on computers that have been authorized by the lender. A borrowed game will not be available on a computer running an OS unsupported by that game. Borrowed games may also be unavailable if the lender’s library is currently in use on another computer.

Who owns the DLC and in-game content associated with a borrowed title?
    A borrower will have access to the lender’s DLC, but borrowers may not purchase DLC for a base game they don't own. Any player may purchase, trade, earn, or otherwise acquire in-game content while playing a game, but in-game items cannot be shared between accounts. These items remain associated with the account that purchased or acquired them, whether borrowing or lending the base game.

Can region-restricted content be shared across regions?
    No, any region restrictions will remain in place when borrowing or lending content.

Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?
    Your Family Sharing privileges may be revoked if your library is used by borrowers to conduct cheating or fraud. We recommend you only authorize familiar computers you know to be secure.

• Options

You are incorrect.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    yeah it does not seem amazing

poo
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

I'm playing my brother's copy of Awesome Recent Game? He can't play Another Game

If Cinders is asleep, I can log on late at night and play all her games. If American Tamin is at work during the day, English scheck can log on and play all your games.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I never sleep.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Office 2013 is still around for companies that want to sink a one-time cost. I think its a 400 dollar license.

Jesus jumped up Christ, I knew MS was getting harsher on Office as a product but I didn't know it ran this deep.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

other way around. Your brother can boot you at any time. Because they are his games.

when you are booted a timer will pop up warning you to buy the game, or save and quit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah that seems dumb as hell actually. Whoops.

• Options

If Cinders is asleep, I can log on late at night and play all her games. If American Tamin is at work during the day, English scheck can log on and play all your games.

that is the best-case scenario to avoid buying things

the more everyday scenario is this: I'm at a friend's house, and don't want to log him out? our libraries are shared; we can play one of my games.

• Options

Jesus jumped up Christ, I knew MS was getting harsher on Office as a product but I didn't know it ran this deep.

It's always been this way. Office Pro licenses back in 2003 were nearly 400 bucks a pop, but with OEM volume licensing you could shave a hundred or so off of it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/familysharing/discussions/0/846964363934331891/
    To express interest in beta participation, join the Family Sharing Group on the Steam community. The Family Sharing beta will begin in about a week, when a thousand Steam accounts from this group will be granted access to share their Steam libraries. You’ll know you’ve been selected when you receive an email from Steam inviting you to try out the new feature.

Family Sharing is enabled in one of two ways: You can either locally enable sharing in Account Settings, with Family Sharing & Devices, or remotely respond to a user’s Steam request to share your previously installed games via email.

Yes. A Steam account may authorize Family Sharing on up to 10 devices at a given time.

No, due to technical limitations, some Steam games may be unavailable for sharing. For example, titles that require an additional third-party key, account, or subscription in order to play cannot be shared among friends and family.

When I authorize a device to lend my library to others, do I limit my own ability to access and play my games?
    As the lender, you may always access and play your games at any time. If you decide to start playing when a friend is already playing one of your games, he/she will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

Borrowed games are only available on computers that have been authorized by the lender. A borrowed game will not be available on a computer running an OS unsupported by that game. Borrowed games may also be unavailable if the lender’s library is currently in use on another computer.

A borrower will have access to the lender’s DLC, but borrowers may not purchase DLC for a base game they don't own. Any player may purchase, trade, earn, or otherwise acquire in-game content while playing a game, but in-game items cannot be shared between accounts. These items remain associated with the account that purchased or acquired them, whether borrowing or lending the base game.

No, any region restrictions will remain in place when borrowing or lending content.

Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?
    Your Family Sharing privileges may be revoked if your library is used by borrowers to conduct cheating or fraud. We recommend you only authorize familiar computers you know to be secure.

This doesn't really sound different than two people using the same account currently.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

other way around. Your brother can boot you at any time. Because they are his games.

when you are booted a timer will pop up warning you to buy the game, or save and quit.

yeah, I'll get booted. I'm assuming he doesn't want to boot me off :P

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

This doesn't really sound different than two people using the same account currently.

It's useful for like, having seperate friends lists and stuff, pretty much ideal for Spools situation I think, where there's a family computer and everyone wants to have seperate accounts but share games.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Kagera wrote: »

You are incorrect.

Well then.

It's mostly because I didn't realise Office 2013 was also a retail product, as opposed to the corporate version of 365.

• Options
    redx wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    You can walk into walmart and purchase the basic version of office for like $90.
    Why would you pay an annual license of $100?

You need outlook, access, publisher and/or visio, and don't want to pay $400 all at once for a piece of software you might end up regularly upgrading(something really only business should even think about doing).

Also comes with online storage and 60 minutes of Skype calls per month.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Apple's stock prices are kind of a victim of their own success. nothing they can do at this point will be enough. the new iPhone could give you free blowjobs and people would complain they aren't sloppy enough

Apple stock prices seem to always fall immediately following a product announcement.

Were I a person with lots of liquidity right now, I would buy the shit out of the stock, because come September 20th, it is going to recover all of the losses and post a modest gain. This shit happens every time, and I think lots of people get richer off of the Announcement->Release stock fluctuations.

The new iPhone is the best one they have made yet from a power / performance / feature level, and it is going to be purchased in droves from the 4s and 4 users who have been waiting on an upgrade.

They also just got certification in China to launch on the carriers there, including the largest one in the entire country.

It will be impossible for the iPhone 5s to sell less than prior phones. If anything, sales will probably double this generation, just on the back of China.

Yeah, but a boring, bestselling product that doesn't get much buzz at all is not the one you make while your company is on the rise. It's your Windows XP, your Guitar Hero 3. It's where you cash in on all the work from the previous years. But going forward, people are going to be looking for something that excites them.

I really don't want them to fuck with the iPhone or the iPad at this point.

The fingerprint thing is welcome if it works as well as it seems to, and eventual RFID in the iPhone for purchases would be swell.

How do you feel about NPR's reporting this morning regarding fingerprint ID?

Specifically the issue that courts have ruled the State cannot compel you to give up your passwords (including screen lock) but it can compel you to provide your fingerprint.

Well, your fingerprint alone is essentially useless when it comes to forcing an unlock on the new iPhone.

the way the sensor works involves sub-level readings along with the surface image, so a flat representation of your finger won't do anything.

Also, the data is stored on an encrypted portion of the A7 chip that does not get included in iPhone backups, and is not sent to iCloud or used in any data communication related to the antennas in any way whatsoever.

So unless the police officer / state authority forced you to place your thumb on the scanner and hold it there, having both you and your device in the room at the same time...

honestly, you have much bigger problems on your hands than the unlocking of your phone at that moment.

I mean, no you don't.

If the information incriminating you is on your phone, the judge can't make you unlock it but he very well might be able to demand you place your thumb on the scanner. The bigger problem might be inside the phone!

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I wonder how long it'll be before MS makes it so content generated in the new Office suite isn't backwards compatible.

That was so fucking annoying when they did that in 2007. Oh, you have Office 2003? Let me resave this as a .xls instead of a .xlsx and e-mail it to you again. Sure, some features won't work.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

It's useful for like, having seperate friends lists and stuff, pretty much ideal for Spools situation I think, where there's a family computer and everyone wants to have seperate accounts but share games.

I guess... but only one person can access the entire library at a time.

So, spool can't be playing My Little Pony Friendship Adventure in one room while his daughter plays Surgeon Simulator in the other.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    cloud licensing is the way of the future anyway. The new office functionality is deeply tied up in 365 cloud services and such. the days of buying software in a box is coming to an end

• Options
    Apple's stock prices are kind of a victim of their own success. nothing they can do at this point will be enough. the new iPhone could give you free blowjobs and people would complain they aren't sloppy enough

Apple stock prices seem to always fall immediately following a product announcement.

Were I a person with lots of liquidity right now, I would buy the shit out of the stock, because come September 20th, it is going to recover all of the losses and post a modest gain. This shit happens every time, and I think lots of people get richer off of the Announcement->Release stock fluctuations.

The new iPhone is the best one they have made yet from a power / performance / feature level, and it is going to be purchased in droves from the 4s and 4 users who have been waiting on an upgrade.

They also just got certification in China to launch on the carriers there, including the largest one in the entire country.

It will be impossible for the iPhone 5s to sell less than prior phones. If anything, sales will probably double this generation, just on the back of China.

Yeah, but a boring, bestselling product that doesn't get much buzz at all is not the one you make while your company is on the rise. It's your Windows XP, your Guitar Hero 3. It's where you cash in on all the work from the previous years. But going forward, people are going to be looking for something that excites them.

I really don't want them to fuck with the iPhone or the iPad at this point.

The fingerprint thing is welcome if it works as well as it seems to, and eventual RFID in the iPhone for purchases would be swell.

How do you feel about NPR's reporting this morning regarding fingerprint ID?

Specifically the issue that courts have ruled the State cannot compel you to give up your passwords (including screen lock) but it can compel you to provide your fingerprint.

Well, your fingerprint alone is essentially useless when it comes to forcing an unlock on the new iPhone.

the way the sensor works involves sub-level readings along with the surface image, so a flat representation of your finger won't do anything.

Also, the data is stored on an encrypted portion of the A7 chip that does not get included in iPhone backups, and is not sent to iCloud or used in any data communication related to the antennas in any way whatsoever.

So unless the police officer / state authority forced you to place your thumb on the scanner and hold it there, having both you and your device in the room at the same time...

honestly, you have much bigger problems on your hands than the unlocking of your phone at that moment.

I mean, no you don't.

If the information incriminating you is on your phone, the judge can't make you unlock it but he very well might be able to demand you place your thumb on the scanner. The bigger problem might be inside the phone!

You can simply say no.

So are we talking some dystopian future where an Agent Smith pins you to the table and holds your hand down onto your phone to unlock it? Cause I think the latter option, that being "contempt of court" at worst, is the most likely scenario here.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Unless you want to, like, buy certain games for certain accounts and then one person can only play a few games if another person is playing any of these other games and if you want to play this game you have to make sure he isn't playing that game.

And it sounds like a load of bullshit.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    aren't lots of the big companies like ppl making CAD and stuff going towards software subscription models

poo
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I wonder how long it'll be before MS makes it so content generated in the new Office suite isn't backwards compatible.

That was so fucking annoying when they did that in 2007. Oh, you have Office 2003? Let me resave this as a .xls instead of a .xlsx and e-mail it to you again. Sure, some features won't work.

Given that the xlsx format is significantly better in myriad ways than the xls format, this was a good thing, even if it caused some slight inconvenience.

They even had a free download that 2003 users could install to open xlsx files.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hrm, why is it so hard for me to decide what to do?

• Options
    cloud licensing is the way of the future anyway. The new office functionality is deeply tied up in 365 cloud services and such. the days of buying software in a box is coming to an end

No. Gonna print out the code, put it in a box, then sell it to myself.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »

Given that the xlsx format is significantly better in myriad ways than the xls format, this was a good thing, even if it caused some slight inconvenience.

They even had a free download that 2003 users could install to open xlsx files.

As someone still using 2003 I can comment that it does not do so gracefully.

• Options
    Hrm, why is it so hard for me to decide what to do?

choice paralysis

• Options
    File size alone is a massive improvement with xlsx

Like, shit is cut by two thirds or more.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Unless you want to, like, buy certain games for certain accounts and then one person can only play a few games if another person is playing any of these other games and if you want to play this game you have to make sure he isn't playing that game.

And it sounds like a load of bullshit.

This Steam Share thing sounds more useful for someone like say, me - who gets maybe five hours a week of gaming - than a lot of people on here who spend more time gaming than I do at work. Sure, I'd be happy to let someone play one of my many games when I'm not using them, and odds are there would be very little conflict.

Remember also that Steam isn't doing this just for the gamers. The 'Purchase Now or Quit' push seems to be the main reason for doing this, and the benefit to us incidental.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I wonder when Office: Balmer's Ferrari edition comes out?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I never sleep.

'Cause sleep is the cousin of death?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    i ran out of ketchup for my chips

kil me pls

I'll kill you for ruining fries with that poison sauce.

shut up pooface i will kil u

Drop that broken promise from a squeeze bottle.
    http://thugkitchen.com/post/52954229114/spread-some-of-this-goodness-on-your-next

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.