Options

Work appropriate [chat]

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    @feral ur city ok but it is cold here

poo
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Hrm, why is it so hard for me to decide what to do?

You're constantly second-guessing yourself instead of committing to one path?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the change from 2003 to 2007 was almost seven years ago, you know

Core2 Duo E4300 at 1.8GHz and shit

Wristwatch technology

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I wonder how long it'll be before MS makes it so content generated in the new Office suite isn't backwards compatible.

That was so fucking annoying when they did that in 2007. Oh, you have Office 2003? Let me resave this as a .xls instead of a .xlsx and e-mail it to you again. Sure, some features won't work.

Given that the xlsx format is significantly better in myriad ways than the xls format, this was a good thing, even if it caused some slight inconvenience.

They even had a free download that 2003 users could install to open xlsx files.

I just hated this becuase it caused a bunch of mime-typing issues in older webservers because it looked like a zip file (because it was) instead of a word document. We had huge issues with a web-based training system that hosted lots of .docs when all of a sudden people started putting .docxs in them and their students couldn't understand why they were trying to view a document and their browser would download a zip file.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    @desc we should figure out good way to share some pics

all my pics are already on my dropbox

also if you have any lovely pics of me text me i need new fb pics and or i should make a dating profile lelelelelelel

poo
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Unless you want to, like, buy certain games for certain accounts and then one person can only play a few games if another person is playing any of these other games and if you want to play this game you have to make sure he isn't playing that game.

And it sounds like a load of bullshit.

This Steam Share thing sounds more useful for someone like say, me - who gets maybe five hours a week of gaming - than a lot of people on here who spend more time gaming than I do at work. Sure, I'd be happy to let someone play one of my many games when I'm not using them, and odds are there would be very little conflict.

Remember also that Steam isn't doing this just for the gamers. The 'Purchase Now or Quit' push seems to be the main reason for doing this, and the benefit to us incidental.

I can see that, I guess.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I wonder how long it'll be before MS makes it so content generated in the new Office suite isn't backwards compatible.

That was so fucking annoying when they did that in 2007. Oh, you have Office 2003? Let me resave this as a .xls instead of a .xlsx and e-mail it to you again. Sure, some features won't work.

Given that the xlsx format is significantly better in myriad ways than the xls format, this was a good thing, even if it caused some slight inconvenience.

Oh, I agree. It was a significant improvement. Just annoying to deal with, when a significant portion of your clients / co-workers are still on 2003.

If they do a similar change now, it's pretty clear it's designed to break backwards compatibility and force people to upgrade, not so much a functional improvement. And it'll be even more annoying because not only will you have to deal with all the compatibility issues, but it'll cost money.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

perhaps i should third-guess myself more?

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    here's what steam sharing actually means to me

couscous is curious about system shock 2? Here, have access to it for the next 8 hours while I'm at work.

I become convinced and decide to play bioshock infinite? I play while my friend is asleep.

It's the natural successor to the demo. No strange, artificial, restrictions on where I can go or what I can do. Just the game.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    XLSX is literally a collection of XML files contained inside of a ZIP file.

Seriously. Rename the file extension of a file.xlsx to file.zip. You can peek inside. Each sheet is a different XML file.

That means anybody can write software to work with xlsx files without having to suck up to Microsoft.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Wristwatch technology

I work for one of those companies for which XP being end-of-lifed is an upcoming issue.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    watz up u buttz

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    7849_10201002024346284_2046301209_n.jpg

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    watz up u buttz

Many things have changed in your absence, Gooey.

For one, we are now ruled by a race of space ant-people.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Wristwatch technology

I work for one of those companies for which XP being end-of-lifed is an upcoming issue.

Same here. We're about 80% XP.

Core2 Duo E4300 at 1.8Ghz is on the upper end of our hardware spectrum. We still have a lot of 2-3G Pentium-4s in active use.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options

Wristwatch technology

I would, but luckily our computers were so old they all died over the last year or two and were replaced with Windows 7 ones :P

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

I just hated this becuase it caused a bunch of mime-typing issues in older webservers because it looked like a zip file (because it was) instead of a word document. We had huge issues with a web-based training system that hosted lots of .docs when all of a sudden people started putting .docxs in them and their students couldn't understand why they were trying to view a document and their browser would download a zip file.

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Seriously. Rename the file extension of a file.xlsx to file.zip. You can peek inside. Each sheet is a different XML file.

That means anybody can write software to work with xlsx files without having to suck up to Microsoft.

Didn't they put a load of tags in there like <render this like Office 2000 would> and such?

I remember one of the criticisms being that though the spec was notionally open, successfully implementing it depended on having MS insider knowledge.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    i ran out of ketchup for my chips

kil me pls

I'll kill you for ruining fries with that poison sauce.

shut up pooface i will kil u

Drop that broken promise from a squeeze bottle.
    http://thugkitchen.com/post/52954229114/spread-some-of-this-goodness-on-your-next

That stuff is pretty good.

Thug Kitchen has helped me step my potluck game up like woah

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    watz up u buttz

My ETFs lol wtf fyi hth

so mad I had so much sitting in a dumb checking account so long.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

perhaps i should third-guess myself more?

Choose a course of action and keep doing what you're doing until the task is done, even if a better, more efficient way of accomplishing your goal presents itself.

783.gif

• Options

Didn't they put a load of tags in there like <render this like Office 2000 would> and such?

I remember one of the criticisms being that though the spec was notionally open, successfully implementing it depended on having MS insider knowledge.

Yeah, it was poorly documented.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    watz up u buttz

My ETFs lol wtf fyi hth

so mad I had so much sitting in a dumb checking account so long.

i n v e s t m e n t h u g l i f e

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i miss neville

i miss that fat baby!

here he is eating aaron's thumb. he looks distressed but in reality he FUCKING LOVES eating thumbs. he purrs really loud and gets kind of excited and chomps a little too hard if you let him

n4kINIVh.jpg?1

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    The main difference between this and sharing an account would be the separate social stuff and in-game stats, cheevos, and saved games.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

kil me pls

http://thugkitchen.com/post/52954229114/spread-some-of-this-goodness-on-your-next

i fkin love ketchup

sundried tomato is poop

godbless

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

yeah, anyone can implement basic xlsx support, but I would say that if Google and Apple both still struggle to get 100% matching results with the standard, it is not quite as open as would be liked.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Apple's stock prices are kind of a victim of their own success. nothing they can do at this point will be enough. the new iPhone could give you free blowjobs and people would complain they aren't sloppy enough

Apple stock prices seem to always fall immediately following a product announcement.

Were I a person with lots of liquidity right now, I would buy the shit out of the stock, because come September 20th, it is going to recover all of the losses and post a modest gain. This shit happens every time, and I think lots of people get richer off of the Announcement->Release stock fluctuations.

The new iPhone is the best one they have made yet from a power / performance / feature level, and it is going to be purchased in droves from the 4s and 4 users who have been waiting on an upgrade.

They also just got certification in China to launch on the carriers there, including the largest one in the entire country.

It will be impossible for the iPhone 5s to sell less than prior phones. If anything, sales will probably double this generation, just on the back of China.

Yeah, but a boring, bestselling product that doesn't get much buzz at all is not the one you make while your company is on the rise. It's your Windows XP, your Guitar Hero 3. It's where you cash in on all the work from the previous years. But going forward, people are going to be looking for something that excites them.

I really don't want them to fuck with the iPhone or the iPad at this point.

The fingerprint thing is welcome if it works as well as it seems to, and eventual RFID in the iPhone for purchases would be swell.

How do you feel about NPR's reporting this morning regarding fingerprint ID?

Specifically the issue that courts have ruled the State cannot compel you to give up your passwords (including screen lock) but it can compel you to provide your fingerprint.

Well, your fingerprint alone is essentially useless when it comes to forcing an unlock on the new iPhone.

the way the sensor works involves sub-level readings along with the surface image, so a flat representation of your finger won't do anything.

Also, the data is stored on an encrypted portion of the A7 chip that does not get included in iPhone backups, and is not sent to iCloud or used in any data communication related to the antennas in any way whatsoever.

So unless the police officer / state authority forced you to place your thumb on the scanner and hold it there, having both you and your device in the room at the same time...

honestly, you have much bigger problems on your hands than the unlocking of your phone at that moment.

I mean, no you don't.

If the information incriminating you is on your phone, the judge can't make you unlock it but he very well might be able to demand you place your thumb on the scanner. The bigger problem might be inside the phone!

You can simply say no.

So are we talking some dystopian future where an Agent Smith pins you to the table and holds your hand down onto your phone to unlock it? Cause I think the latter option, that being "contempt of court" at worst, is the most likely scenario here.

You can't say no to getting fingerprinted when you're arrested. They absolutely will physically compel you to get your prints taken.

I'm not seeing why this would be different. Your print is your access code, and your print has no legal privacy protections.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

Wristwatch technology

I mean

XP is old as shit.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck i am in san francisco

it is cloudy and grey with a high of 66 and a low of 58, also it is windy
    also there is marijuana everywhere

hm

Sounds about right.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

kil me pls

I should prolly try this. I've been making pesto lately for my sandwiches and it has been helladope.

I just kind of stopped in this cafe near my apartment once and nothing really interested me so I went the safe route and got their special sandwich which was turkey, provolone, pesto on ciabatta and was life-changingly good. I became mildly obsessed with pesto afterwards and I still REALLY like it on turkey sandwiches.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Apple's stock prices are kind of a victim of their own success. nothing they can do at this point will be enough. the new iPhone could give you free blowjobs and people would complain they aren't sloppy enough

Apple stock prices seem to always fall immediately following a product announcement.

Were I a person with lots of liquidity right now, I would buy the shit out of the stock, because come September 20th, it is going to recover all of the losses and post a modest gain. This shit happens every time, and I think lots of people get richer off of the Announcement->Release stock fluctuations.

The new iPhone is the best one they have made yet from a power / performance / feature level, and it is going to be purchased in droves from the 4s and 4 users who have been waiting on an upgrade.

They also just got certification in China to launch on the carriers there, including the largest one in the entire country.

It will be impossible for the iPhone 5s to sell less than prior phones. If anything, sales will probably double this generation, just on the back of China.

Yeah, but a boring, bestselling product that doesn't get much buzz at all is not the one you make while your company is on the rise. It's your Windows XP, your Guitar Hero 3. It's where you cash in on all the work from the previous years. But going forward, people are going to be looking for something that excites them.

The fingerprint thing is welcome if it works as well as it seems to, and eventual RFID in the iPhone for purchases would be swell.

Specifically the issue that courts have ruled the State cannot compel you to give up your passwords (including screen lock) but it can compel you to provide your fingerprint.

Well, your fingerprint alone is essentially useless when it comes to forcing an unlock on the new iPhone.

the way the sensor works involves sub-level readings along with the surface image, so a flat representation of your finger won't do anything.

Also, the data is stored on an encrypted portion of the A7 chip that does not get included in iPhone backups, and is not sent to iCloud or used in any data communication related to the antennas in any way whatsoever.

So unless the police officer / state authority forced you to place your thumb on the scanner and hold it there, having both you and your device in the room at the same time...

honestly, you have much bigger problems on your hands than the unlocking of your phone at that moment.

I mean, no you don't.

If the information incriminating you is on your phone, the judge can't make you unlock it but he very well might be able to demand you place your thumb on the scanner. The bigger problem might be inside the phone!

You can simply say no.

So are we talking some dystopian future where an Agent Smith pins you to the table and holds your hand down onto your phone to unlock it? Cause I think the latter option, that being "contempt of court" at worst, is the most likely scenario here.

You can't say no to getting fingerprinted when you're arrested. They absolutely will physically compel you to get your prints taken.

I'm not seeing why this would be different. Your print is your access code, and your print has no legal privacy protections.

The fingerprint security isn't the only option though afaik.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I mean, no you don't.

You can simply say no.

Taking your fingerprint on a sheet of paper as a part of an arrest proceeding is vastly different from coercing you to unlock your device with your physical finger.

Saying no would allow you to take the challenge through the court system, and I cannot help but feel that the courts would side with you, the guy who did not want to incriminate himself.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

what are sub-level readings, and would they be fooled by a either a semi conductive ink on an nonconductive sheet of paper, or something 3d printed(at a slightly higher level of resolution than is probably easily available right now)?

Like, I don't get how it functions.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @desc we should figure out good way to share some pics

all my pics are already on my dropbox

also if you have any lovely pics of me text me i need new fb pics and or i should make a dating profile lelelelelelel

Most of mine didn't turn out great / too drunk / etc but yeah

Can I post this picture of you doing your drunk finger point at Ren Faire

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    jesus fucking christ, I go to lunch and find out my extra copies of portal and episode 2 are somehow, worth even less

THEY'RE THE GODDAMNED TRIBBLE OF STEAM

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

kil me pls

I should prolly try this. I've been making pesto lately for my sandwiches and it has been helladope.

I just kind of stopped in this cafe near my apartment once and nothing really interested me so I went the safe route and got their special sandwich which was turkey, provolone, pesto on ciabatta and was life-changingly good. I became mildly obsessed with pesto afterwards and I still REALLY like it on turkey sandwiches.

There's a pizza place near me that does pesto crust

I was like no wayyyyy

• Options
    Our Barracuda web filter has died, I think.

Bleh.

That was not a good investment.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/familysharing/discussions/0/846964363934331891/
    I want to try this! How can I join the Family Sharing Beta?
    To express interest in beta participation, join the Family Sharing Group on the Steam community. The Family Sharing beta will begin in about a week, when a thousand Steam accounts from this group will be granted access to share their Steam libraries. You’ll know you’ve been selected when you receive an email from Steam inviting you to try out the new feature.

How do I enable Family Sharing on my computer?
    Family Sharing is enabled in one of two ways: You can either locally enable sharing in Account Settings, with Family Sharing & Devices, or remotely respond to a user’s Steam request to share your previously installed games via email.

Is there a limit to the number of devices I can authorize to share my Library?
    Yes. A Steam account may authorize Family Sharing on up to 10 devices at a given time.

Can I share specific games, or do I have to share my whole library?
    Libraries are shared and borrowed in their entirety.

Can all Steam games be shared with friends and family?
    No, due to technical limitations, some Steam games may be unavailable for sharing. For example, titles that require an additional third-party key, account, or subscription in order to play cannot be shared among friends and family.

Can a friend and I share a library and both play at the same time?
    No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

When I authorize a device to lend my library to others, do I limit my own ability to access and play my games?
    As the lender, you may always access and play your games at any time. If you decide to start playing when a friend is already playing one of your games, he/she will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

Sometimes the games I’ve borrowed are unavailable for me to play. Why?
    Borrowed games are only available on computers that have been authorized by the lender. A borrowed game will not be available on a computer running an OS unsupported by that game. Borrowed games may also be unavailable if the lender’s library is currently in use on another computer.

Who owns the DLC and in-game content associated with a borrowed title?
    A borrower will have access to the lender’s DLC, but borrowers may not purchase DLC for a base game they don't own. Any player may purchase, trade, earn, or otherwise acquire in-game content while playing a game, but in-game items cannot be shared between accounts. These items remain associated with the account that purchased or acquired them, whether borrowing or lending the base game.

Can region-restricted content be shared across regions?
    No, any region restrictions will remain in place when borrowing or lending content.

Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?
    Your Family Sharing privileges may be revoked if your library is used by borrowers to conduct cheating or fraud. We recommend you only authorize familiar computers you know to be secure.

This doesn't really sound different than two people using the same account currently.

It's useful for like, having seperate friends lists and stuff, pretty much ideal for Spools situation I think, where there's a family computer and everyone wants to have seperate accounts but share games.

I guess... but only one person can access the entire library at a time.

So, spool can't be playing My Little Pony Friendship Adventure in one room while his daughter plays Surgeon Simulator in the other.

Excuse me but no one gifted me My Little Pony (or even Bad Rats) during the last sale.

yeah this isn't as excellent as I wanted it to be, but it does resolve a number of issues I have with maintaining 5 separate Steam accounts across two computers. I can just buy things to my account now and lend them to everyone else, and that's p convenient for about 60% of the cases where we have issues.

Hopefully we get the other 40% as well.

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    jesus fucking christ, I go to lunch and find out my extra copies of portal and episode 2 are somehow, worth even less

THEY'RE THE GODDAMNED TRIBBLE OF STEAM

you think that's bad?

i still have 70 copies of Dota 2.

This discussion has been closed.