As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Five Star Masterchef - Village wins, Sir Fabulous crowned Five Star Masterchef!

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    TA for not dying when I tried to kill him that time!

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    mill for lying to me last game thus causing me to die.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I always think MrT is village when he's actually mafia

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    MrTLicious

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Day 1, Round 1 results are forthcoming, but I wanted to put up the form for Round 2 as soon as I had forum access again.

~ Day 1, Round 2 ~
    "All right, for this next challenge, you'll be recreating one of the appetizers made famous at my eponymous restaurant Graham Elliot." Graham's stand in stepped aside to reveal a tantalizing dish of delicate pink discs covered in fine black shavings. "This is wild boar, and it's a difficult meat to get right. It's topped with one of those ingredients that you can't use in abundance, or it'll overwhelm a dish: truffle shavings. You'll all get at chance to taste the dish before beginning."

The contestants formed a line, and cut off small bits of the appetizer. After a few minutes, Gordon once again took charge. "All right! You've all had your chance to give it a taste. Pretty good, eh? Well, let's see what you've learned. You have just thirty minutes to replicate that dish in its entirety. At the end of those thirty minutes, we'll give your dishes a taste and see who will be rising to the top... and who will be going home."

Day 1, Round 2 has begun. Round 2 will end at 10:30pm Eastern on Tuesday, September 17th. Please make sure to send in orders. Chefs failing to do will have their cooking attempt entered by the Host, and The Producers value spectacle over all else.

Day 1, Round 2 Order Form

• Options
    ~ Day 1, Round 1 Result ~
    New to the kitchen, it's clear that some contestants were already struggling. Megafrost had a good start, properly cleaning his snail and cooking it in a nice butter and parsley sauce. But that's when everything went south. When smoke started rising from his workstation, Gordon came by to see what was going on.

"I'm sorry!" Megafrost said. "I don't know what's wrong - my mushrooms caught fire and my pasta fell apart in the pot. I have no idea what's wrong, that's never happened to me before!"

Gordon shook his head. "Are you out of your depth here? Is it already time for you to go home?"

Megafrost vigorously shook his head. "No chef! I can do this!"

Elsewhere, things were looking equally as bad for MrTLicious. His mushrooms were cooking nicely, but his snail was still marinated in a glass tray on the table. Joe investigated.

"You know you only have five more minutes to cook that snail, right?" The New York native looked pointed at the clock.

MrTLicious nodded, full of confidence. "It's already cooked. I'm going to serve a snail ceviche. Some lemon, some lime, a little raw onion. It'll be great."

Joe was aghast. "You're going to serve us raw snail?"

"Sure," replied MrTLicious. "Why not?"

As the clock ticked down to zero, premium was having problems of his own. "What's going on, buddy?" asked Graham.

"Well, I ruined both the snail and the mushrooms," replied premium. "So I'm trying to at least make the plate look nice."

"And... time!" Gordon shouted. "Let's take a look at some appetizing dishes, shall we?"

First up was Gandalf_the_Crazed. "Amazing," Gordon said between bites of snail ravioli in mushroom sauce.

"Gordon, you have to try this," Graham interrupted. He was busy tearing into FreeAgent's snail and mushroom lasagna.

Joe shook his head. "You're both wrong. I would gladly serve MrBlarney's mushroom spaghetti carbonara with snail in any of my restaurants."

"Well, those were some amazing dishes. But there can only be one winner. Judges, shall we?"

Several minutes later, the cardboard cut-outs returned to the stage. "Well, that was a tough decision. And in fact - it's a tie. FreeAgent and MrBlarney, well done. You are both safe from elimination tonight."

Gordon's pleased expression turned grim. "Megafrost, MrTLicious, premium. Please step forward." The judges waited as the trio made their way to the front of the room. "Those were some of the worst dishes that we've ever seen. You better figure out how to make it work here, or you'll be going home."

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    So not to sound bitter about my terrible performance, but I think one of the winner's is more than likely to be mafia, since they are the only people that were likely coordinated enough to get a winner.

I'm putting my money on FreeAgent

• Options
    damn that errant apostrophe in a vote post.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Hey at least I plated my burned snail and mangled mushrooms like a pro

premium on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    So not to sound bitter about my terrible performance, but I think one of the winner's is more than likely to be mafia, since they are the only people that were likely coordinated enough to get a winner.

Suh. Suh.

Did you fail to notice that this very evening, they ah protected from ou' wrath? Sweet mothuh of Jefferson Davis, this is a conundrum.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    TA gets my grudge vote for murdering all those adventurers. They had families (maybe)!

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

INQUIRY: WHAT SORT OF COORDINATION WOULD BE POSSIBLE IN THIS SCENARIO?
    OBSERVATION: I WAS NOT MENTIONED. AM GOING TO NEED TO RECALBIRATE FLAVOR MATRIX FOR HUMAN JUDGEMENT

• Options

INQUIRY: WHAT SORT OF COORDINATION WOULD BE POSSIBLE IN THIS SCENARIO?
    OBSERVATION: I WAS NOT MENTIONED. AM GOING TO NEED TO RECALBIRATE FLAVOR MATRIX FOR HUMAN JUDGEMENT

Cheering.

Does the safety from elimination conferred from winning the first round apply to the red vote, or merely to the cooking challenge?

• Options
    Then my vote stands.

• Options
    Ah well ah must then agree with the city slickah B.A. Baracus.

FreeAgent

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I'm down for a FreeAgent vote

I don't see a mafia that managed to get MrBlarney throwing him in the spotlight before the first day is even over.

• Options
    Any experienced gentleman will know, not another soul alive can best Mistah Blahney wheh gaming a rule system is concuhned.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I don't like the idea of voting out MrBlarney or FreeAgent on day one. Neither one of them barely ever play.

I can't remember FreeAgent ever playing in the entire time I've played phalla and MrBlarney rarely gets to play as well.

So Rawkking Goodguy

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of voting out MrBlarney or FreeAgent on day one. Neither one of them barely ever play.

I can't remember FreeAgent ever playing in the entire time I've played phalla and MrBlarney rarely gets to play as well.

So Rawkking Goodguy

See, my thing is that I can absolutely see a bunch of players Cheering MrB just for the sake of "It's day 1 and I have to do something", whereas I don't really see that happening with FA

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Huh. Didn't see that one coming.

• Options

So by this reasoning, our failed dishes mean we're totally village, right?

• Options
    I can't see the logical path there.

• Options
    Megafrost wrote: »

... No.

It just means you aren't the person the mafia decided to boost.

• Options
    I can't see the logical path there.

Can you see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    We can only use the special actions once. Given that there is a certain level of RNG involved with cooking, utter failure at a dish means jack about whether someone is mafia or village, even really good people can get hosed by RNG.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    We can only use the special actions once. Given that there is a certain level of RNG involved with cooking, utter failure at a dish means jack about whether someone is mafia or village, even really good people can get hosed by RNG.

Do you have a different PM than the rest of us? We can use our special things every single round.

And yes, technically the chances of this working the way we hope are related to how much "slightly" means to jdark. Cheering someone "slightly raises their score". Since we're apparently not getting numbers at all, there's not really any way we can take any of this into account.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013

There's more than a certain level of RNG. A poor level of skill with an ingredient, preparation skill, bad rolling...anyone attempting to use the very first cooking challenge as proof of anything besides "who got kinda lucky" is iffy.

If we see a pattern in the winners after several challenges, then we can talk.

Farangu on
  • Options
    Megafrost wrote: »

Sorry. Maybe I should have made it more clear that I was joking here.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Are we going to be getting the results of our dice rolls, and quality results from cooking + cheering?

If so, can we trust those dice rolls were unaltered by other players' abilities?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

Do you have a different PM than the rest of us? We can use our special things every single round.

And yes, technically the chances of this working the way we hope are related to how much "slightly" means to jdark. Cheering someone "slightly raises their score". Since we're apparently not getting numbers at all, there's not really any way we can take any of this into account.

I believe what Delmain means is that we can only target one person each round, so the mafia, if they coordinated this, were likely to have only helped one of their members and let the others have some randomness.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    Are we going to be getting the results of our dice rolls, and quality results from cooking + cheering?

If so, can we trust those dice rolls were unaltered by other players' abilities?
    Yup. I'll send all of Day 1's out tonight.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Or they can round robin their cheer

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

I didn't, by once I mean for each challenge.
    Farangu wrote: »

There's more than a certain level of RNG. A poor level of skill with an ingredient, preparation skill, bad rolling...anyone attempting to use the very first cooking challenge as proof of anything besides "who got kinda lucky" is iffy.

If we see a pattern in the winners after several challenges, then we can talk.

Skills can help reduce the impact of RNG. Chose of flair can also make RNG less punishing, but it can also make it more punishing. Cheers and jeers can also make it harder to score high. Mechanically, we don't score points unless we hit matches.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that suspects that the people who drew Gordon, Joe and Graham, have a higher level of skill overall, and are less likely to fail. That doesn't mean they can't fail, get enough jeers (one or two might do the trick) and go for a high enough flair in there weaker cooking skills and failure could easily happen. I'm cautioning against writing anyone off that fails as being all but confirmed. Also if this game has the standard number of mafia, there are still three members that we don't have role names for, which means it's possible for any of those three guys to be on par with the rest of us.

Oh, let's also not forget that there could be an SK role.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Whew, I finally got the chance to dig into this game beyond sending cooking orders. I guess I got a little lucky on my round 1 plate; I set my status on Ignore, so nobody could have affected me for the round. I don't have much in terms of vote thoughts at the moment, so I'll just post the current spreadsheet for now.

Current Spreadsheet (up to post 236)

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    funny-owls.jpg

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    vertroue wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    vertroue wrote: »
    I cant grudge the host for last game can I?

If you mean me, bring it. My chef-fu is masterful.

No I mean jdark host for last game getting me killed.
    Jdark didnt get you killed. You got you killed by doing somthing dumb and acting flippant about it.

• Options
    When am I not flippant? That is kinda how I always play.

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    stupidowls.jpg

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire