DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    things AC stealth and MGS stealth have in common:

they're stealth games

[img][/img]

Metal_gear_peace_%288%29.jpg

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    things AC stealth and MGS stealth have in common:

they're stealth games

[img][/img]

Metal_gear_peace_%288%29.jpg

dbaines_ac2_13.jpg

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I never did finish MGS3

BioShock Infinite came out when I was about halfway through, and I never went back

Damn shame. The narrative and character development of Infinite wishes it were as good as MGS3. And I like Infinite's character development. (Of Booker and Elizabeth anyway.)

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    It sucks because I love what AC tries to do but I'm always let down by the execution

That Ground Zeroes demo basically looks like exactly what I wish assassin's creed was

so, you want it to be a metal gear solid game instead of an assassin's creed game?

good news, there's an entire franchise of games almost just like that

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The Giant Bomb community is doing a bracket to determine the Game of the Generation

The current round is

Dark Souls vs. BioShock

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves vs. Red Dead Redemption

Batman: Arkham Asylum vs. Dragon Age: Origins

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots vs. Portal 2

Mass Effect 2 vs. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Super Mario Galaxy vs. Fallout 3

The Walking Dead: Season 1 vs. The Last of Us

and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare vs. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

some hard as hell choices in there

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    hahahaha

skyrim versus cod 4

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Man, a person could justify picking either side in any of those brackets quite easily.

What a great generation we had.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I want someone to figure out how to translate the mechanics of Mark of the Ninja into a 3D game. I don't want scifi ninjas, I just want ninja ninjas.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Bleh

Im not really behind any of those titles as a game of the generation

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I never did finish MGS3

BioShock Infinite came out when I was about halfway through, and I never went back

MGS3 is the best one by far
    You should finish it sometime

The controls are sooooo bad

Also, "press X to ogle dem titties" is super gross

it is super gross
    however
    there's a bit there that's...interesting. as the game goes on, eventually Snake looks at Eva's face when you press x, instead of her chest. It shows that he finally respects her instead of just considering her a sex object. It's the character being a gross perv, and he matures by the end.

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    Skyrim is an incredible game (and better than CoD4 as a game for sure), but in the greater scheme of things CoD4 was hugely important to this generation as basically every other FPS after it was taking themes from it.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    Skyrim is an incredible game (and better than CoD4 as a game for sure), but in the greater scheme of things CoD4 was hugely important to this generation as basically every other FPS after it was taking themes from it.

yeah but that's like saying michael bay is the most important director of the last two decades because he's irrevocably changed what action movies look and sound like

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Some earlier rounds with super tough choices

Red Dead Redemption vs. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Portal 2 vs. Civilization V

Grand Theft Auto V vs. Sleeping Dogs

Super Mario Galaxy vs. Rock Band

The Walking Dead: Season 1 vs. Saints Row the Third

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I think I would pick Uncharted 2 above Red Dead Redemption

A part of me knows

Just knows

That that is the incorrect choice

But I can't help it

• Options

Yeah I wouldn't call that a positive thing.

• Options

I absolutely love Sleeping Dogs way more the GTAV but I feel that vote more than any other got colored by the fact it's the Giant Bomb community with Vinny Quick Looks.

WT83sWz.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

Well

You'd be wrong

Its unfortunate things have been stagnant for a while but a sense of progression and something TANGIBLE from doing well in matches was absolutely necessary for the shooter genre to hold peoples attention

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I'd be cool with Super Mario Galaxy or Portal 2 winning it all, I think

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    call of duty 4 being influential isn't bad, it's no one else being able to really refine or innovate on a meaningful level that's negative

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Well, neither would I. I don't play CoD (or military style FPS's at all really), but when you look back at this generation and are deciding important games that shaped it, CoD4 is absolutely something that will place highly regardless of personal taste.

WT83sWz.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »

yeah but that's like saying michael bay is the most important director of the last two decades because he's irrevocably changed what action movies look and sound like

that is a completely false analogy, and is also not even true of Michael Bay movies so I'm not even sure what you are saying here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

I absolutely love Sleeping Dogs way more the GTAV but I feel that vote more than any other got colored by the fact it's the Giant Bomb community with Vinny Quick Looks.

i don't think it's an exaggeration to say that sleeping dogs is way tighter game both mechanically and technically, although GTA V is much more impressive in scope

also, sleepy dogs isn't overtly offensive to several small but vocal parts of the community

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Well

You'd be wrong

Its unfortunate things have been stagnant for a while but a sense of progression and something TANGIBLE from doing well in matches was absolutely necessary for the shooter genre to hold peoples attention

Oh, I gotcha. I never think about multiplayer in anything, so my mind was in the "strip all exploration and level design out of something and make everything a Michael Bay movie with occasional button presses" place.

I absolutely get why people like the multiplayer though. The 4 hour on-rails campaigns just put a bad taste in my mouth.

Ceno on
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

that is a completely false analogy, and is also not even true of Michael Bay movies so I'm not even sure what you are saying here.

"I don't like Call of Duty"

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I never did finish MGS3

it is super gross
    however
    there's a bit there that's...interesting. as the game goes on, eventually Snake looks at Eva's face when you press x, instead of her chest. It shows that he finally respects her instead of just considering her a sex object. It's the character being a gross perv, and he matures by the end.

"Dude learns that ladies aren't objects" isn't the most compelling character arc I've ever come across

And there's a definite "having cake whilst also eating it" element to ogling titties and then going "it was totally wrong of us to ogle dem titties, and we are all wiser for no longer ogling"

• Options
    like getting down on call of duty 4 is like shit talking super mario world for all the shitty SNES platformers that came out

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    It's not necessarily my favorite game of the generation, but team fortress 2 is probably the game that best exemplifies what games have become over the course of this generation

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

i don't think it's an exaggeration to say that sleeping dogs is way tighter game both mechanically and technically, although GTA V is much more impressive in scope

also, sleepy dogs isn't overtly offensive to several small but vocal parts of the community

Sleeping Dogs had a "press a button to PIT maneuver" feature, which is on its own more fun than a single thing in GTAV

• Options

"I don't like Call of Duty"

i'm saying that recognizing a game for helping start the trend of reducing a genre to a series of number-grind while also having a core concept revolving around gross military worship isn't exactly healthy or beneficial

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I never did finish MGS3

it is super gross
    however

"Dude learns that ladies aren't objects" isn't the most compelling character arc I've ever come across

And there's a definite "having cake whilst also eating it" element to ogling titties and then going "it was totally wrong of us to ogle dem titties, and we are all wiser for no longer ogling"
    yeah there's that
    but i guess i prefer it to just blatant ogling? i dunno

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Hullis wrote: »
    It's not necessarily my favorite game of the generation, but team fortress 2 is probably the game that best exemplifies what games have become over the course of this generation

TF2 was beaten by Red Dead in the first round by over 30%

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

He's saying Call of Duty is bad and does bad things, like Michael Bay

• Options
    yeah all those people play multiplayer shooters only for the sake of seeing their number go up

they derive no enjoyment from the playing of the game itself

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Economic experiments? Hedge funds? Mired in ancillary bullshit like hats?

• Options

As a puppy with narcolepsy, I

• Options

Economic experiments? Hedge funds? Mired in ancillary bullshit like hats?

giant creaky speculative markets, i guess

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

He's saying Call of Duty is bad and does bad things, like Michael Bay

Well he would be wrong then.

Modern Warfare is an excellent game.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

I definitely, as a bias'd party, think TF2 is pretty exemplary pick for just analyzing trends in games over its life

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I loved the shit out of the first Modern Warfare

I have felt no need to play a CoD since then.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.