As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dieu et mon Dongs (Now just Paradox discussion)

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I haven't played CK2 in a while, so I decided to play for fun with training wheels as the Earl of Dublin.

I'm now Emperor of Alba.

Now what.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    If you see vassals with high opinions of you joining factions, it might also mean they have been blackmailed by someone's spymaster. It might also be worth pointing out that if you are a vassal yourself, you can do the same thing and blackmail other vassals into joining your faction (and going to war with you).

If you want to enable absolute cognatic succession for all factions, open \decisions\succession_laws.txt in your CK2 directory and remove the Basque culture condition for true cognatic succession. Doing so will however prevent you from earning Steam achievements in Ironman mode.

• Options
    1081 is my favorite starting date, because the Byzantines' power is curbed back a little (though sometimes they recover). I'm also a bit disappointed at how little potential there is in the 867 start for politics to develop along historical lines (although I like the general unpredictability). I think it would be great if there were triggers which would for example cause a partition of Lotharingia under certain circumstances.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    It's hard for me too find a middle ground for historical accuracy in paradox games, between like CK2 and vicky 2. EU3 does a decent job but there are still some things that bother me

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I do love the Pagan mechanics in CK2

but after (finally) playing a Christian character

they definitely need a lot more love

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    and maybe an option to create a female dominated society :D

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Enabling women to lead armies is also an easy modification (you just have to remove the "has to be male" requirement from the marshal position). There's also coded support for stuff like female-preference successions laws.

• Options
    I despise modding in general

it's not something I enjoy

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Like, since Sunset Invasion is a thing

they could totally do something with the amazons

(who likely ended up settling in what is now Ukraine and Southern Russia)

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    After SoA Christians are pretty decently fleshed out

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Dubh wrote: »
    Like, since Sunset Invasion is a thing

they could totally do something with the amazons

(who likely ended up settling in what is now Ukraine and Southern Russia)

Considering how pissed people got about muh aztecs muh history, this is vanishingly unlikely

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    I think Sunset Invasion is fucking awesome

and filled with tasty tasty irony

those people can go fuck themselves with a macuahuitl

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I like it but the Aztecs keep converting to Catholicism within a couple years of landing

• Options
    I gotta do an Aztec run at some point

...and a go with the mongols

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Aztecs just seem to me to be a horde for western Europe to offer some balance to the numerous hordes that invade eastern Europe.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Aztecs just seem to me to be a horde for western Europe to offer some balance to the numerous hordes that invade eastern Europe.

totally was one of the reasons why the DLC exists

devs have said as much

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    So in two games I've played now, the new world separatists, when they gain their freedom, have entered the world at rock-bottom tech levels. The USA just rebelled from Spain in 1757 and have military tech 5.

I'm going to tag-switch and cheat to give them a fighting chance, but I wonder what's happening to cause this in the first place

I'm guessing that they came (at least in part) from one of the native nations and therefore inherited their tech levels.

Kinda-sorta - the most recent time this happened, the USA had Iroquois as primary culture and their founding father was President Teiorhenhsere Awegen, so I assumed the issue was emerging from the USA cores appearing on provinces regardless of who actually owned them, yeah. Except the remaining native American tribes all had tech levels at ~8, while the USA definitely appeared with 5 at the most, which was what really raised my eyebrow.

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    So I did another thing, this time in EUIV

99CIWRdl.jpg

lBdgNG1l.jpg

Imperium sine fine, indeed

• Options
    I think in my next game, I'm going to try forming the Holy Roman Empire as the Duke of Saxony, all within the historical timeframe. But I can see that going very wrong unless I get lucky.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    So, I started an ironman game in EUIV as the Hansa. It's now a little over 1600 and I have a land force limit of over a hundred, a naval force limit of over 250, and I'm making over a hundred gold a month at full army maintenance.(And 80% of my income is from trade.) I was going to collapse into a monarchy so I could form Hannover but, you know what, I value money more than a cool flag. That being said, everyone(Everyone being Austria, Russia, Denmark, Lithuania, Great Britain, most of the little HRE states around me, etc.) is embargoing me which is annoying. Also the Britain keeps fighting me for control of the London trade node, guess I'm gonna have to invade the isles even if it means fighting Austria too.

Gundi on
  • Options
    I'm so bad at this game - all I want to do is iterate on the same old scenario. It has been helpful learning how to expand quickly though, even if I'm starting out with the entirety of Europe firmly in my control. Yay 20 years to core each province

• Options
    onv6.jpg

Things looking surprisingly normal in 1024.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    that pomerania though

also there's no way for andalusia to collapse into a bunch of emirates, is there

once the title is created you're kinda stuck with it

• Options
    you can destroy titles at will, I think it costs prestige

Of course I think you'd still be the ruler of it all? unless it was your only Sultanate title

idk what the point of destroying titles is, but I assume it removes the opinion penalty from vassals desiring ones you hold

Otherwise Andalusia could collapse if its vassals all declared independence, or a foreigner usurped the title or something. Probably get conquered pretty fast by the Christians though.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Destorying titles gives a -50 opinion modifier to its de jure vassals, but once the king who destroyed it dies they won't wish they had it. Also they won't hate you for holding too many.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    I actually saw the Empire of Carpathia form and collapse again in this game, but something like that happens once in a blue moon. Once a title is created, you're usually stuck with it.

ldo8.jpg

Some more facts about my current game: the Karlings are actually down to three families (the reigning families of West Francia/Aquitaine, my own and the line of the dukes of Anjou which is funnily also descended from the kings of Nubia). West Francia and Aquitaine have been united for over a hundred years under primogeniture. England was united by the House of Mercia which is also something I hadn't seen happen yet.

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I've been playing a bit of EU4 and I'm finally getting the hang of it. My first game was as the Ottomans and whilst I did ok I never really did anything in fear of rebels, coalitions and alliances.

I tried a couple of other countries inbetween (with varying success) before returning to the Ottomans. This time I've done so much better - much more confidence in declaring wars, more knowledge of traditions, making vassals instead of coring everything. I control most of the middle east, most of eastern Europe, half of Austria, have a personal union with the Timurids and I'm integrating Persia and Algeria. It's much more fun when you know what you're doing, though I think it's become a little easy now.

I think for my next country I'll probably pick England as I fancy a bit of colonising/trade domination!

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    A small piece of advice about England. Don't try to win the 100 years war, unless you really know what you're doing. It's possible, (I've done it) but you have to get some timings and troop movements perfect, and even then there's a bit of luck.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I love this game (ck2) my only issue is that after forming an empire, last couple times it's been Hispania, I just seem to lose speed.
    Actually what I did today was start at 867 and then set it to observe mode and just see what silly stuff the AI gets up to

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I love this game (ck2) my only issue is that after forming an empire, last couple times it's been Hispania, I just seem to lose speed.
    Actually what I did today was start at 867 and then set it to observe mode and just see what silly stuff the AI gets up to
    I've done this a bunch, it's sort of fun and relaxing.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    So, I've founded the Wendish Empire. Are there ways to finagle my way to more land other than just throwing mans at the issue?

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Man but did Conquest of Paradise make No Trail of Tears easier. Not only did I have all of the 13 Colonies as a fully westernized Cherokee, but not one damn foreigner put their filthy boots on North America, I had the coast line in check by the time I was even able to reform my government. Which I had to do via South America, because ports don't count as 'adjacent' for westernization. I was probably 6 years away from beating Russia in score by the time 1820 rolled around.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    So, I've founded the Wendish Empire. Are there ways to finagle my way to more land other than just throwing mans at the issue?

It has become a lot easier to take over countries by strategic marriages now that the AI will always honor the original type of betrothal.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Syphyre wrote: »
    A small piece of advice about England. Don't try to win the 100 years war, unless you really know what you're doing. It's possible, (I've done it) but you have to get some timings and troop movements perfect, and even then there's a bit of luck.

There's actually a way to win the hundred years war fairly easily and completely, but it's pretty complicated and super gamey. I'll just give a hint: it involves making some super quick alliances that quickly become unavailable and exploiting the very little known fact that if you can convince a AI nation to join one war you're in, they get called into all of them.

Edit: Also Rajas of India sounds cool even though I haven't heard any details yet. It'd be cool to get a new/expanded map.

Gundi on
  • Options
    destroying titles is useful if you have two elective titles and don't want to have to dick about with both of them

last game i had both francia and the holy roman empire, and destroyed the later because it's not like you need both

and also because fuck the holy roman empire

• Options
    So... playing as the Count of Nantes in the Old Gods start and then conquering Venezia, declaring yourself king of Venice, and raiding and seizing ports along the Mediterranean is... nice.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAH4t6jPrvE

Dongfacts: The little thread of land connecting Sri Lanka to the subcontinent is apparently a real thing that existed until 1450

• Options
    So is it just me or are republics a lot funner to play as than feudal nations? Like, I'm playing as Amalfi and I'm glad I don't have to execute like two thirds of my family every few decades.

• Options
    THEY'RE ADDING INDIA

WHAT

WHAAAT

shit i have to buy a laptop that will actually run this game

• Options
    Oh no

Oh no no no
    Yes yes yes yes yesssss