Options

Prison Facts "They" Don't Want You To Know About

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Or do!

Spiders are rad.

Scary looking and gross, but also rad.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Scary looking and gross?

MalePeacockSpider.jpg

Try fabulous.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    seriously please don't post spiders

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Jars on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Pip has arachnobutt.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    5 pages and my beautiful schadenfreude/social justice thread is full of spiders. Goddammit you people.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    all things become spiders, given time

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Lock up the spiders, throw away the key OH GOD THEY'RE CRAWLING THROUGH THE BARS THIS WAS ILL THOUGHT OUT

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

I thought all things became butts?

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    And then all butts become spiders

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

I thought all things became butts?

Asses to asses, butts to butts

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    the scariest thing about America's prison system to me is the fact that i can't see it changing in my life time.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    boy howdy retributive justice suuuuuuuuucccckssssss

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    spiders. somewhat topical, amusing yet apparently horrifying spiders

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Stealth spider thread makes me and my friend happy
    smiling+spider.PNG

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Pip has arachnobutt.

Ain't no cure for arachnobutt.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    From the weird punishments department:

Prisoners 'could serve 1,000 year sentence in eight hours'
    Future biotechnology could be used to trick a prisoner's mind into thinking they have served a 1,000 year sentence, a group of scientists have claimed.

Philosopher Rebecca Roache is in charge of a team of scholars focused upon the ways futuristic technologies might transform punishment. Dr Roache claims the prison sentence of serious criminals could be made worse by extending their lives.

Speaking to Aeon magazine, Dr Roache said drugs could be developed to distort prisoners' minds into thinking time was passing more slowly.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    That lady watched the same episode of bleach that I did

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I recently interwieved a former state prosecutor turned chief military prosecutor and his view on law is that it should be "educating" in the sense that future possible offenders would think twice about breaking the law.

Henrik Stampe, a Danish prime minister and chief general prosecutor in the 18th century who was responsible for a huge reformation in Danish criminal law advocated that offenses that didn't involve bodily harm should bear a lesser punishment, because harsher sentences wouldn't be executed as often and thus lose their preemptive effect.

What I'm trying to say, is the US has their criminal law anchored in the 18th century.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Future biotechnology could be used to trick a prisoner's mind into thinking they have served a 1,000 year sentence, a group of scientists have claimed.

Philosopher Rebecca Roache is in charge of a team of scholars focused upon the ways futuristic technologies might transform punishment. Dr Roache claims the prison sentence of serious criminals could be made worse by extending their lives.

Speaking to Aeon magazine, Dr Roache said drugs could be developed to distort prisoners' minds into thinking time was passing more slowly.

Oh good, people have decided that our justice system isn't retributive enough

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Oh good, people have decided that our justice system isn't retributive enough

How would that not snap a person's mind in half.

1000 years in a single room, moving in super slow motion, with no interaction with other people.

It's 9am and now I need a drink.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That's some brutal nonsense. It' s like the mother of all solitary confinement sentences, which are an extremely bad idea to begin with.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    That's some brutal nonsense. It' s like the mother of all solitary confinement sentences, which are an extremely bad idea to begin with.

The only purpose for that sort of punishment is to hurt someone. It does not rehabilitate, it only harms, all so we can slap each other on the back and be happy we're hurting the bad man.

I'd be 100% against it even if we never once incarcerated an innocent person, but seriously, we incarcerate innocent people all the time. So the idea that we could be imprisoning somebody inside their mind for 1000 years when they didn't do anything is sickening.

It's like nobody has heard the "he who fights monsters" saying before.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    it would be a pretty cool supervillain origin story though

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It's like that episode of Deep Space Nine with O'brien, but even worse!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    but at the end of that sentence they'd be able to play a mean flute

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    1000 years in 8 hours sounds like inflicting literal hell on someone

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    a great movie script would be where they do that to a guy but he's genetically immune to the treatment so he has to pretend they did that to him and he has a parole officer who keeps checking up on him

and he has to be all like "man cars sure haven't gotten very much more advanced in a thousand years"

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    There was an Outer Limits episode about that! But they weren't using it as punishment, more as "look let's just make it FEEL like they did the full sentence so we don't have all these assholes taking up space in our prisons" and then bad stuff happened.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    This kind of thing happens in a Stephen King short story called The Jaunt. Spoiler: it doesn't end well.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    a great movie script would be where they do that to a guy but he's genetically immune to the treatment so he has to pretend they did that to him and he has a parole officer who keeps checking up on him

and he has to be all like "man cars sure haven't gotten very much more advanced in a thousand years"

Cars haven't advanced like, at all in the past 20 years. The differences between the McLaren F1 of 1994 and the fastest supercars we've got now are in single digit percentages.

I mean, yeah, a lot of the gadgets have changed, but the ceiling for car performance seems to be lower than we originally thought.

Also, this thing about serving 1000 years in 8 hours reminds me of that Justice League episode where Vandal Savage destroys the earth and Superman gets shot 50,000 years into the future and they become besties. Vandal Savage basically says he's going to keep on living to "serve his sentence" but wouldn't mind being vindicated. It's a pretty cool episode that sort of outlines the brutal psychological distress you'd actually have if you were functionally (literally) immortal.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    All it reminds me of is the fact that not enough people watched Dredd

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

This is an onion article only real

There are real people really working on this

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

This is an onion article only real

There are real people really working on this

My genuine hope is that there are actual people working on that technology for reasons over than torture.

Then these assholes turned up and are basically making the observation 'hey this incredible set of technological advances that could be used for all manner of things could also be used to torture prisoners to get our justice rocks off'.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

The only purpose for that sort of punishment is to hurt someone. It does not rehabilitate, it only harms, all so we can slap each other on the back and be happy we're hurting the bad man.

I'd be 100% against it even if we never once incarcerated an innocent person, but seriously, we incarcerate innocent people all the time. So the idea that we could be imprisoning somebody inside their mind for 1000 years when they didn't do anything is sickening.

It's like nobody has heard the "he who fights monsters" saying before.

i'm curious how many people wouldn't commit suicide going through this

i'm also curious if a brain can even survive undergoing 1000 years

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    How could they commit suicide

It would be 1000 years in a instant, they wouldn't have the chance

Edit: Reread the article. Woops guess its actually 8 hours.

Yeah there would be a hideously high suicide rate

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    It's all philosophy and theoretical future science right now, but it's beyond stupid that we're already thinking of how such a thing could be used to make the world worse.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Related to the last couple of pages-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/13/colorado-marijuana-convictions_n_4957887.html
    DENVER (AP) — Colorado's second-highest court ruled Thursday that some people convicted of possessing small amounts of marijuana can ask for those convictions to be thrown out under the law that legalized recreational marijuana in the state.

Also I don't smoke weed but I did vote for legalization, but goddamn I'm annoyed with how people are starting to act now. WA already has an indoor smoking ban and supposed to be no smoking within 25 feet of any entrances, but a few days ago when we had our first sunny day over 60 degrees I head out walking and the entire two blocks around my building were basically hotboxed. People were just walking down the street or standing in groups outside coffee shops blazing or hitting vap pens. It was thick, it reeked, and this was also one block from a school.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    the 25 feet rule has always been bullshit

I mean you can't smoke on the sidewalk in most of the city

I will also say that since legalization, drug dealers have gotten way more polite

now when I turn them down, they tell me to have a nice day instead of to go fuck myself

Shorty on