Options

The Raid 2 and other, inferior, [MOVIES]

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The barrel-ride in the second made me laugh harder than any scene in any movie in recent memory.

Not laughing at how bad it was, or anything, either. It was glorious start to finish.

Aistan on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That Hobbit trailer is the most Lord of the Rings-y one we've had yet which I think is a good thing

Peter Jackson does big sweeping epic battles and heroic defiance and so on better than he does interpersonal drama

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    the lack of much interpersonal anything is a large part of what's made the hobbit movies so bleh for me

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    To be honest most of the flaws with The Hobbit can be laid at the feet of it being far too stretched out

doesn't need to be a trilogy, Pete

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    To be honest most of the flaws with The Hobbit can be laid at the feet of it being far too stretched out

doesn't need to be a trilogy, Pete

Blame New Line, they made him stretch it out.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60EUG-CDC_k
    Here is the trailer for Kevin Smith's horror movie about a mad scientist who turns a man into a walrus

100% of those words were accurate

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So that's going to have a lot of body horror going on in it, I think

• Options
    The most objectionable part is the usage of the word "podcast"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    This is the first Kevin Smith film I've been interested in in...15 years maybe? Dogma was good. Hopefully this is too.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    can't watch another kevin smith flick or even look at him at all after this

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Kevin smith makes me super embarrassed to have ever liked Kevin Smith like once every few months

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Good fucking lord

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    The most objectionable part is that mustache

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Thank you for sharing that crwth that is a valuable piece of knowledge that dosn't make me want to barf from all my holes

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    So, someone made a sequel to Jarhead ... and it's an action movie this time instead of being a social commentary ... and it's got Cole Hauser in it and the dickhead general from Avatar.

I think the rough equivalent here is making a sequel to Brokeback Mountain but making sure it's a modernized western and the two main characters peck on the cheek once.

What a supremely bad idea this was, I cannot believe this shit was funded and actually got off the ground; did no one stop and say 'hey, let's take stock of this situation before we go full-on-head-up-ass?'

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Why is the part that bothers me most the part where he says pOwns

that makes no sense

its owns or pwns

what are you doing kevin

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Why is the part that bothers me most the part where he says pOwns

that makes no sense

its owns or pwns

what are you doing kevin

I think it was a trick because without that I wouldn't have paused to decipher what the fuck it meant and I wouldn't now know what I know

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    just watching the trailer for the hobbit is reminding me how I feel no connection to any of the somber faces it's flashing on screen even after almost 6 hours

• Options
    look if i had to read that tweet then you all have to

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    A movie about the last ten pages of the book

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    If you guys hated invented subplots in second movie uhh, I don't foresee this being any better

• Options
    Everything Kevin Smith has said about his wife unintentionally makes her out to be a thoroughly unpleasant person

He tried to watch The Avengers with her and within 5 minutes of it starting she laughed uproariously and declared it the dumbest movie she's ever seen and left

And now on the latest SModcast he talks about trying to watch Game of Thrones with her and the very first time there was a sex scene she declared the entire show sexist trash and left

It makes me really uncomfortable because he's acting like he's just telling funny stories and it just sounds like the description of a relationship where the two people have nothing in common

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Well that second one...

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    So, someone made a sequel to Jarhead ... and it's an action movie this time instead of being a social commentary ... and it's got Cole Hauser in it and the dickhead general from Avatar.

I think the rough equivalent here is making a sequel to Brokeback Mountain but making sure it's a modernized western and the two main characters peck on the cheek once.

What a supremely bad idea this was, I cannot believe this shit was funded and actually got off the ground; did no one stop and say 'hey, let's take stock of this situation before we go full-on-head-up-ass?'

Oh hey, Jarhead. That's a movie I should watch again.

I am currently watching Ghost Ship, a film from 2002 with Karl Urban and Gabriel Byrne that I had never heard of before now. About 20 minutes in and its shaping up pretty B movie.

• Options
    crwth wrote: »
    look if i had to read that tweet then you all have to

It was from 2009. You could have forgot about it by now or just thought we all already saw it!

• Options
    sure i could have

i also could have never registered here in the first place but we all have to live with my bad decisions now

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    list of reasons I don't use twitter, +1

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

I am currently watching Ghost Ship, a film from 2002 with Karl Urban and Gabriel Byrne that I had never heard of before now. About 20 minutes in and its shaping up pretty B movie.

Was this the movie with the cruise liner on the poster that also had a giant skull on it?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Was this the movie with the cruise liner on the poster that also had a giant skull on it?

Yep. Sucks how the best scene (in my opinion) was the opening scene though.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Wait, they changed the title of The Hobbit?

Wasn't the last movie supposed to be There and Back Again?

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Everything Kevin Smith has said about his wife unintentionally makes her out to be a thoroughly unpleasant person

He tried to watch The Avengers with her and within 5 minutes of it starting she laughed uproariously and declared it the dumbest movie she's ever seen and left

And now on the latest SModcast he talks about trying to watch Game of Thrones with her and the very first time there was a sex scene she declared the entire show sexist trash and left

It makes me really uncomfortable because he's acting like he's just telling funny stories and it just sounds like the description of a relationship where the two people have nothing in common

I know a lot of people who love comic book films like TDK and Blade but find most Marvel studios offerings totally stupid and boring, so the first part isn't a stretch. The second is dumb though.

Bubby on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Also I don't see how someone not enjoying The Avengers and Game of Thrones makes them an unpleasant person

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait, they changed the title of The Hobbit?

Wasn't the last movie supposed to be There and Back Again?

Yes, which was much better
    Now it's Battle of the Five Armies which is dumb

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well Game of Thrones is kind of sexist. Or at least... sexploitative.

• Options

How is it either? It still has far more violence than sex, and even if it didn't, we live in a culture that glorifies violence and sees it as more acceptable than sex. GoT is bucking the trend, and that's pretty awesome in my book.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I kinda don't wanna start that discussion, but...

I guess I don't wanna start that discussion!

(I still think it's a well-produced show and a series of well-written books behind it.)

• Options
    Also I don't see how someone not enjoying The Avengers and Game of Thrones makes them an unpleasant person

No, but being completely unable to even tolerate something that's essentially the person you're married to's childhood dream coming true kinda does

It's just something that's kinda been built up over years of listen to some of Kevin Smith's various shows and needs context for

She doesn't enjoy anything he enjoys and is super rude about it when she doesn't like it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

How is it either? It still has far more violence than sex, and even if it didn't, we live in a culture that glorifies violence and sees it as more acceptable than sex. GoT is bucking the trend, and that's pretty awesome in my book.

GoT has a lot of good female characters (some of the best on TV currently IMO) that interact with/are affected by the sexism in their world in vastly different ways.

There are also a lot of naked women randomly in the background.

For me the former definitely outweighs the latter, but I see how someone could feel differently.

• Options
    Game of Thrones the book series is an interesting exploration of the idea that in a properly faux-medieval fantasy world, women would be property, war would swallow up and chew out the best of a generation, being poor is awful and people regularly die of horrible diseases, starvation and brutal oppression. The exploitation, violence and general unpleasantness of the world is kind of the point of the deconstruction.

Game of Thrones the tv series is that by association but I feel it is more caught up in the heady heights of it's own blood and tits based success, though it does have moments of "haha yeah boobies in the brothel! Oh look that one girl got shot to death by a sadist with a crossbow and nobody gives a shit because she's a prostitute!" which kind of drive home the point a bit.

So yeah Game of Thrones is horrible but as long as it shows that all this is actually vile then I am okay with that.

• Options
    Thorn413 wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »

GoT has a lot of good female characters (some of the best on TV currently IMO) that interact with/are affected by the sexism in their world in vastly different ways.

There are also a lot of naked women randomly in the background.

For me the former definitely outweighs the latter, but I see how someone could feel differently.

Both are fairly true to the medieval period, which the series is heavily inspired from.

This discussion has been closed.