Options

The Raid 2 and other, inferior, [MOVIES]

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Well Game of Thrones is kind of sexist. Or at least... sexploitative.

How is it either? It still has far more violence than sex, and even if it didn't, we live in a culture that glorifies violence and sees it as more acceptable than sex. GoT is bucking the trend, and that's pretty awesome in my book.

What trend is it bucking?

GoT may be the most violent show I've ever seen, the end of The Mountain and the Viper haunted my goddamn thoughts for like a week after it aired

And there's a bunch of naked women everywhere, just like a bunch of other HBO shows, and hardly any male nudity. Most of the female nudity is also incredibly pointless

Like it is very much continuing the trend of glorifying violence and making sex acceptable, as long as "sex" is "just a bunch of nude women everywhere"

I like the show a whole bunch but these are issues that it absolutely has

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Also I don't see how someone not enjoying The Avengers and Game of Thrones makes them an unpleasant person

No, but being completely unable to even tolerate something that's essentially the person you're married to's childhood dream coming true kinda does

It's just something that's kinda been built up over years of listen to some of Kevin Smith's various shows and needs context for

She doesn't enjoy anything he enjoys and is super rude about it when she doesn't like it

My girlfriend completely hates video games and reads several books a month. I read maybe one book every two months and play way too many games. It works out great, I actually wouldn't want to date a girl as obsessed with video games as I am as this way I'm actually encouraged to play less of them and read more.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm not looking to get into a debate about it. And I like Thrones, I'm not attacking it. But there are a lot of gratuitous tits and rapey business. And the argument of "it's historically accurate to the medieval period" is fine if that's what you feel but it's a show with dragons and warlocks and ice zombies so leaning on the "realism" defense is being pretty selective.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It's kind of like Saving Private Ryan, where the beach landing is a cinematic tour de force but also horrific and terrifying which is what it should be.

I was going to use Uber in this example, because it is my favourite example of such media, but then I remembered that nobody reads Uber.

• Options

How is it either? It still has far more violence than sex, and even if it didn't, we live in a culture that glorifies violence and sees it as more acceptable than sex. GoT is bucking the trend, and that's pretty awesome in my book.

GoT may be the most violent show I've ever seen, the end of The Mountain and the Viper haunted my goddamn thoughts for like a week after it aired

And there's a bunch of naked women everywhere, just like a bunch of other HBO shows, and hardly any male nudity. Most of the female nudity is also incredibly pointless

Like it is very much continuing the trend of glorifying violence and making sex acceptable, as long as "sex" is "just a bunch of nude women everywhere"

The violence is horrifying, as violence should be, not glorified as it is in blockbusters and too many other films to count. The sex and nudity is abundant and seen as normal within the show's context, which is not a typical thing at all. Films are terrified of showing sex, it's only recently that TV has started to feature a lot of it.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I read Uber!
    I've also fallen wayyyyyy behind on it

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I think I personally have more an issue with the sexual violence than anything else

I also have an issue with the view that GoT is somehow "true" to any specific historical background, I accept it as a deconstruction of otherwise mostly idealized fantasy worlds though

• Options
    I recently finished the first book of ASOIAF and was surprised to see how tame the book was compared to the show

Like they really HBOed it up

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I read Uber!
    I've also fallen wayyyyyy behind on it

Catch up because holy shit it is getting even better every issue (loss of pacing in the Stephanie backstory issue aside)

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I recently finished the first book of ASOIAF and was surprised to see how tame the book was compared to the show

What did you expect every other page to have "oh and by the way there are a few topless chicks with rockin' tits hanging around in the background."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

The violence is horrifying, as violence should be, not glorified as it is in blockbusters and too many other films to count. The sex and nudity is abundant and seen as normal within the show's context, which is not a typical thing at all. Films are terrified of showing sex, it's only recently that TV has started to feature a lot of it.

What about when that dude throws a knife right into a horse's fucking face and decapitates the rider and takes a huge piss and everyone is stoked, I don't think that is supposed to be like the horrors of war

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »

What did you expect every other page to have "oh and by the way there are a few topless chicks with rockin' tits hanging around in the background."

Well

Kinda, yeah, after seeing the show

• Options

Get back to me once you've read DwD.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

"with capon grease dribbling down their chins"

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    the topless chicks are just a translation of all the food

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »

What about when that dude throws a knife right into a horse's fucking face and decapitates the rider and takes a huge piss and everyone is stoked, I don't think that is supposed to be like the horrors of war

Hobnail, please teach me how to post

• Options

It was shot with the same immediacy as every violent scene in the show.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    My favorite line from the GoT book, "Sansa did not like being interrupted, but she had to admit, lemon cakes sounded more interesting than most of what had gone on in the throne room."

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

if the sex and violence is tangential to the plot and is not meant to titillate

naked women for no reason and completely graphic violence JUST BECAUSE are kinda a huge problem with anything hbo

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I

Uh

Buh?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Ghost Ship was ultimately very mediocre. I found it amusing in places but probably not in the way that the makers intended.

It was kind of like Event Horizon but with sea ships instead of space ships, and not actually being scary, and with no Sam Neill or Lawrence Fishbourne and much more nu-metal.

Actually I did genuinely enjoy the nu-metal mass murder montage near the end.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    About halfway through the last page I just skipped to the end of this one, is it safe in here yet

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I think it's safe!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Is it secret? Is it safe?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    oh my god

i just read the most amazing spoiler about the new Hercules movie and i can't stop laughing

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

That scene did in fact get me incredibly stoked.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Just bam right in your face horse

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    About halfway through the last page I just skipped to the end of this one, is it safe in here yet

I did the same thing, for probably the same reason!

It seems alright now, yeah

Movie talk: I tried to make my sister watch Glengarry Glen Ross last night, which was a hilariously bad idea.

I realized how badly I miscalculated when it took her fifteen minutes to ask what "leads" are

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

No. It's not safe, it's... very dangerous, be careful.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

No. It's not safe, it's... very dangerous, be careful.

I once had a dentist ask me "Is it safe?" before

I instantly liked him

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So I'm watching Cuban Fury with some friends

It is pretty dang good! Just a fun little comedy with a great cast and a pretty solid sense of humor throughout

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    oh my god

i just read the most amazing spoiler about the new Hercules movie and i can't stop laughing

if only science had invented a way to post spoilers such that only people who were interested could read them

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    oh my god

if only science had invented a way to post spoilers such that only people who were interested could read them

If only science could fix nested spoilers.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    oh my god

Well, can your "science" explain why it rains?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Game of thrones definitely at times has issues with short cutting to show people are evil by having them needlessly rape and torture women.

And at other times the violence is overly gratuitous.

And to be fair, I had the same problems with the first book which I never finished, but at least with the tv show you can check Facebook or something when something you don't particularly appreciate is happening. With the book (for me) it's kinda hard for me to do that, as I tend to zone out and re read paragraphs.

And as much as I am being negative right now. There are Good Strong Female characters (and the story is legitimately good also). It's just at times there is a lot of bullshit to slog through.

Sometimes I just wish they'd aim for a lower rating.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    oh my god

Blasphemy! burn the witch

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    oh my god

The scientific consensus is that it rains 'cause you're really lame.

• Options
    oh my god

The scientific consensus is that it rains 'cause you're really lame.

...The math checks out.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    well I saw Lucy today and that's the most disappointed I've been in a theater since the Star Wars prequels

This discussion has been closed.