As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The JRPG Thread

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Y'all are mean.

Also go buy Dragon Quest V if you don't own it already. It's been reprinted: http://www.gamestop.com/ds/games/dragon-quest-v-hand-of-the-heavenly-bride/73018

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    But no, seriously

"Other people already resolved this discussion, you're not allowed to participate"

is a dumb thing to say on a discussion thread, and also rude.

(Especially when it's not even true)

There's no need to be like that.

:s

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    stickers_dcffb1567e1fc6c2bab5d0858deffbb6.jpg

aka The Greatest Love Scene of All Time

cloud-and-tifa-get-busy.jpg

Sorry guys but the greatest love scene of all times in jurps is the one between Elle and Fei in Xenogears

• Options
    Peas wrote: »

Sorry guys but the greatest love scene of all times in jurps is the one between Elle and Fei in Xenogears

That was going to be the one I would have named, but I thought we were sticking to FF games.

Tidus/Yuna certainly gets second place in my book, but I posted before why I found Cloud/Tifa more meaningful.

I really could use another FFVII game just to close the book and show that they finally end up happy in the end. Granted you could have gotten that from the end of AC, but something more visually representative would still be appreciated.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    By the way, if you've watched Advent Children but never saw Advent Children Complete, you really should do so. The changes they made to the movie were really smart, not just extended fight sequences. They also touched up existing scenes and dialog that add up to a much better movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBFhmShELs0

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    By the way, if you've watched Advent Children but never saw Advent Children Complete, you really should do so. The changes they made to the movie were really smart, not just extended fight sequences. They also touched up existing scenes and dialog that add up to a much better movie.

wow i'm glad you made this post

i was just today thinking i should see if they have a blu-ray for advent children and decided they probably did but hadn't checked yet

now i know what i'm doing this weekend

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the best love scene was cloud and yuffie in the gondola

• Options
    edited September 2014

wow i'm glad you made this post

i was just today thinking i should see if they have a blu-ray for advent children and decided they probably did but hadn't checked yet

now i know what i'm doing this weekend

It even tells you where Denzel fucking came from!

The new tracks are also great, especially this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvZ6cwBYyz8&list=PL080E88616606073D&index=3

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Y'all are mean.

Also go buy Dragon Quest V if you don't own it already. It's been reprinted: http://www.gamestop.com/ds/games/dragon-quest-v-hand-of-the-heavenly-bride/73018

Well I am going to Game stop later this week

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Hey guys remeber when tidus stepped on a landmine

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    For one briefly sweet moment I had forgotten, so thanks.

I really do wonder what they're doing to do with that story, since they went and referenced it in the FFX HD collection. Are they going to quietly pretend it never happened?

Part of me morbidly wants to see them attempt to salvage that godawful story.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I would prefer if that X-2.5 shit was lost forever to the Mists of Time.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

No.

Because he ran up and kicked it.

Because it looked like a blitzball.

• Options
    I'm liking the snap button I gotta say

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Peas wrote: »

None of this is the love triangle between Locke and Celes and Rachel.

sarukun on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I can't marry forte because it would ruin my fortexleon ship

I was going to marry forte, in spite of the kind of annoying romantic awkwardness

because turns out margaret had some pretty valid reservations

but I ended up letting someone else make that choice and that's who they went with, since illuminata wasn't an option

and now I wish the rest of them were like, hooking up with each other

because I might possibly be feeling guilty about how I was dating five of them at once because I'm going to do like two characters max in this game and I want to see all there is to see, but now I have effectively used and discarded these people like they were so much trash

these fake animé video game people

that I have heartlessly mistreated

and it's like oh god please talk about dylas or something look at him isn't he so pretty

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular

they did make it a better movie

but they did not make it a good movie

• Options
    let's talk about how bitterly disappointed I was when I saw spirits within was on tv but when I actually started watching it there were no sephiroves in evidence

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    the best love scene was cloud and barret in the gondola

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    women-women relationships are definitely portrayed more explicitly than man-man relationships because lesbians are fetishized

"Stop eroticizing lesbians" - ancient Klingon proverb

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Taking what information we currently have as well as speculation from the patents, here's FFXV's theoretical combat in gif form: http://giant.gfycat.com/SelfassuredShinyIlsamochadegu.gif

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The best love scene in a JRPG is set to two tunes:

A Letter to You, Honey

and

A Letter from You, My Sweet

But there's a lot of context to it.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

no, tell me more

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

No.

what the fuck are you talking about

• Options
    ffx only gets crazier the more I hear about it

I'm going to have to fucking play it one day

that's the one with the evil sky whale right

• Options
    yes, although it's not a sky whale specifically, more of a wherever whale. Sky, ocean, dreams, you name it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

No.

You seriously do not want to know.

Turn back now, your life will be happier that way.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    EDIT: oh look I made a reference

Seriously on
  • Options
    ffx made even less sense than these games usually make, and that's saying something

I'm looking at you, mister we all grew up in the same orphanage but forgot for some reason

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

No.

Okay, so, not too long ago, Square released this novels. Final Fantasy X-2.5. And, for days, people assumed that it was a joke or something, because it was SO BAD.

It had crap you'd assume was straight out of a fanfic. Like Sin comes back, and Yuna and Tidus break up and they're all angsty and crap, and there's now Sex Magic. But the kicker is the reveal that the whole mess went down because Tidus died, and Yuna brought him back but there's a Cost and Angst.

How he died?

That's where that story comes in. And I think his head landed right in front of Yuna.

And the writer meant for that to be taken seriously.

You can imagine the amazement when it was confirmed to be a Real Official Product. Interesting times.

• Options

No.

Okay, so, not too long ago, Square released this novels. Final Fantasy X-2.5. And, for days, people assumed that it was a joke or something, because it was SO BAD.

It had crap you'd assume was straight out of a fanfic. Like Sin comes back, and Yuna and Tidus break up and they're all angsty and crap, and there's now Sex Magic. But the kicker is the reveal that the whole mess went down because Tidus died, and Yuna brought him back but there's a Cost and Angst.

How he died?

That's where that story comes in. And I think his head landed right in front of Yuna.

And the writer meant for that to be taken seriously.

You can imagine the amazement when it was confirmed to be a Real Official Product. Interesting times.

Okay so this is going on the list of things I'm not allowed to talk about or whippy gets blackout angry

The list is now basically

1) Spider-Man
    2) whatever the fuck you just said

• Options
    screen-28.jpg

seriously though, this is the best love scene in all of final fantasy

• Options
    edited September 2014
    we can't smooch here, we have space suits on
    let's jetpack over to that conveniently abandoned FUCKIN' RADICAL red space shuttle with the dragon figurehead and then make out

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HERE IS SOMETHING REALLY EMBARRASSING THAT I'VE NEVER TOLD ANYONE EVER I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M ABOUT TO ADMIT TO IT NOW
    I had my first gay sex dream with Squall. I DON'T KNOW WHY. I was playing a lot of VIII at the time! I was in sixth grade! That was quite confusing to wake up to. A lot of, uh, internal discussions and soul searching were had that day.

He had a really nice dick, though.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    None of this is the love triangle between Locke and Celes and Rachel.

Nothing quite makes me go "DAYUM" like when I get to "So am I just a replacement for 'her'?" in FF6.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I am

CERTAIN

the 2.5 thing was proven to be a hoax/fanfiction

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    HERE IS SOMETHING REALLY EMBARRASSING THAT I'VE NEVER TOLD ANYONE EVER I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M ABOUT TO ADMIT TO IT NOW
    I had my first gay sex dream with Squall. I DON'T KNOW WHY. I was playing a lot of VIII at the time! I was in sixth grade! That was quite confusing to wake up to. A lot of, uh, internal discussions and soul searching were had that day.

How big was it

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

I am

CERTAIN

it is extremely real

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Attractive, competent character that you've been spending a ton of time watching, and his "..." schtick probably seemed really cool to a 12 year old.

Seems normal to me.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular

I am

CERTAIN

ha ha ha ha

for those of you who can read Japanese: this is apparently a photo of the pages from the novella in question where Tidus dies because he kicked a bomb that looked like a blitzball

9jXi0H5.jpg
    Tidus looked around in surprise. Before his eyes, there was a ball, rolling slowly. It was the colour of tanned leather, about the same size they use in blitzball matches.

T: "A Blitzball!?"

Tidus started walking toward the ball, looking for it's owner.
    After one step...

As Yuna watched the situation, she was surprised by the tears that suddenly started welling up. Her feelings were greatly shaken, and she couldn't stand. As she crouched on the ground, holding herself with both arms, she was overcome with unbearable sadness.
    Just then, there was a huge sound. Yuna was blown back by a violent explosion, thrown, spinning through the air. Something flew in front of her eyes. It was Tidus' head, fixed in an expression of surprise.

Yuna lost consciousness.

and the Amazon page for said novella is here; note that more than half of the reader reviews give it one star

This discussion has been closed.