As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bio[Chat]

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I mean, I know people whose entire bookshelves consist of the NPR-approved reading list, plus maybe Bukowski for the drunks and Burroughs for the druggies. No Henry James or Thackeray, no Dashiell Hammett or Agatha Christie, no Yeats or Keats or Eliot, no science or history. These are people who don't love reading, they just love being seen with books. Fuck them.
    Eh I got Henry James, some Yeats, Keats, and Eliot, and I haven't read the James and I hate the poets. Most books and tastes and such are all for show regardless.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    James wrote: »
    You know who I hate

Kant

Funt that guy

hahahaha

He can't faucking write fora shit

not even in his natve language

jesus chrasit paralel structure problemz arrrrrreeeeghhhhhhhhhhh

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Weekend at Nietzsche's. Christ you suck at spelling.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    I mean, I know people whose entire bookshelves consist of the NPR-approved reading list, plus maybe Bukowski for the drunks and Burroughs for the druggies. No Henry James or Thackeray, no Dashiell Hammett or Agatha Christie, no Yeats or Keats or Eliot, no science or history. These are people who don't love reading, they just love being seen with books. Fuck them.

In fairness, Henry James is a fucking chore and there's not a lot of point of reading more than one Agatha Christie book.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Oh continental philosophy you so crazy

you were developed because masturbating into a sock was deemed too useful
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Continental philosophy is a term that originated among English-speaking philosophers to describe various philosophical traditions strongly influenced by certain 19th and 20th century philosophers from mainland Europe. The term is typically used in contrast with analytic philosophy. The traditions comprising continental philosophy include German idealism, phenomenology, existentialism and its antecedents, hermeneutics, structuralism, post-structuralism, French feminism, and the critical theory of the Frankfurt School and some other branches of western Marxism

wut?

Continental philosophy is the philosophy that doesn't do anything. It's kind of, kind of, kind of like history of philosophy. Kind of. It's about doing philosophy.

Analytic philosophy is philosophy of science, logic, etc.

_J_ on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

This is fantastic

Elendil on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Most books and tastes and such are all for show regardless.

Yes, if you're a hipster. Real people read or watch or listen to things they either like or think will improve them in some way.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You know who I hate

Kant

Funt that guy

hahahaha

But he does look like Mr. Burns. You have to give him that!

Kant_2.jpg

James on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    Oh, no, I picked and chose which parts of Nietzsche I liked and said fuck the rest.

Salad bar Nietzschean? :P
    And I didn't justify it with a moral or philosophical framework. I just did and valued what I felt like.

I emulated him, but I didn't take what he said as golden. I was really good at being Nietzschean, actually. Hence my suicidal depression.

Was this during your teenage years?

Because that is a stupid time to try and figure out your values.

Have you looked in to more vanilla ethical egoism at all?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And I'm with Zen, fuck Kant. Or better yet set him up with Nietzsche. Maybe give him a hat so no one gets suspicious.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "Are these the Nazis walter?"
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of. "

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    damn. just when I'm getting to think Mark Mckinney or Bruce Mcullogh (all that is spelled wrong) are my favorites, the fucking hecubus skit comes on. so good.

and then there's scott thompson. GODDAMN IT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.
    I recognize Bruce McCulloch as the true guiding light of the group, although they're all great. That's largely based on his comedy album, and based on interviews and such, with the subsequent watermark of his you can see on the truly brilliant material from the show.

he was the first one I recognized as a true genius. you can feel his effect on shit more than the others.

I'm halfway through season two and I've pretty much dropped the chance of Foley or McDonald to be my favorites. Scott Thompson is sometimes absolutely amazing, but I think his character acting is better than his writing, as far as specifics go.

Then comes McCulloch and McKinney (now spelled correctly!). They are both clearly twisted, just enough to be fantastic skit writers. On top of that, they do damn fine character pieces, and are able to stretch ideas out over entire skits (something I felt was missing from Foley and McDonald's work in the beginning of season 2 at the very least, besides the Hecubus bits).

so it's between them. In the past I always looked down on McKinney because of SNL, but I realize now (10 years after having formed the opinion at far too young an age) that that's not even remotely fair or reasonable.

I could talk about this for hours. I probably should rewatch Mr. Show after I'm done with this season, until I order 3-5.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Eh I got Henry James, some Yeats, Keats, and Eliot, and I haven't read the James and I hate the poets. Most books and tastes and such are all for show regardless.
    Keats is good. Eliot is pretty great. Yeats is hit-or-miss. I guess all three are important. I generally have a hard time enjoying poetry - it's a lot of effort to really get into it, and there's no way of knowing beforehand if there's a payoff or if you're just wasting your time.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Is it still necrophilia if they're both dead?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah! Fuck Kany that fucking cunt.

Adny I maybe had a little too mcuh rum. gotta foxus to read

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh continental philosophy you so crazy

you were developed because masturbating into a sock was deemed too useful
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Continental philosophy is a term that originated among English-speaking philosophers to describe various philosophical traditions strongly influenced by certain 19th and 20th century philosophers from mainland Europe. The term is typically used in contrast with analytic philosophy. The traditions comprising continental philosophy include German idealism, phenomenology, existentialism and its antecedents, hermeneutics, structuralism, post-structuralism, French feminism, and the critical theory of the Frankfurt School and some other branches of western Marxism

wut?

Here's continental philosophy in a nutshell:

Take a logical, well thought argument

Drink tequila until you're blind

take in a donkey show in Mexico

bang a syphilitic transexual while you're there

Starting to see again? Mas tequila, Pedro

Write it all up as a Hunter S Thompson-esque travel memoir

Bang! It's at least as coherent as Hegel

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And I'm with Zen, fuck Kant. Or better yet set him up with Nietzsche. Maybe give him a hat so no one gets suspicious.

Kant is a duche.

Synthetic A Priori Knowledge my ass.

_J_ on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yes, if you're a hipster. Real people read or watch or listen to things they either like or think will improve them in some way.
    Man, Yeats ain't improving no one these days, and "The Wasteland" is just that.

There's plenty of people who are "hipsters" that are good people, have interesting tastes, and are good people to know, but people just judge them on their fashion and the fact that they have an opinion that runs contrary to something they like. That's my fucking take on it.

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

In fairness, Henry James is a fucking chore and there's not a lot of point of reading more than one Agatha Christie book.
    If I die without reading any more James, then I have succeeded in life.

I measure amounts of pain in units known as Daisy Millers. For example, getting kicked in the balls is .13 Daisy Millers.

Elendil on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    suilimeA wrote: »
    Oh, no, I picked and chose which parts of Nietzsche I liked and said fuck the rest.

Salad bar Nietzschean? :P

Yup. I mean, really the only constant in his "philosophy" is to just do as you want to, and tear down everything.

Salad-bar Nietzsche meshes a lot more with his concept of the Free Spirit than biting hook, line, and sinker.
    Was this during your teenage years?

Because that is a stupid time to try and figure out your values.

Have you looked in to more vanilla ethical egoism at all?

Ethical egoism is something I'm only vaguely familiar with, but I'm done with Nietzsche now anyway. I got some useful things out of it, but it sure wasn't worth the price.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah! Fuck Kany that fucking cunt.

Adny I maybe had a little too mcuh rum. gotta foxus to read

But what about Perpetual Peace?

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Seriously.

Fuck A Priori Synthetic Propositions.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeats is better than Elliot

I mean jesus fuck everything is better than Elliot

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is Foucault considered a continental philosopher?
    Because I really like Foucault, too.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Is Foucault considered a continental philosopher?
    Because I really like Foucault, too.

yes'm

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Elendil wrote: »

:(

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    he was the first one I recognized as a true genius. you can feel his effect on shit more than the others.

I'm halfway through season two and I've pretty much dropped the chance of Foley or McDonald to be my favorites. Scott Thompson is sometimes absolutely amazing, but I think his character acting is better than his writing, as far as specifics go.

Then comes McCulloch and McKinney (now spelled correctly!). They are both clearly twisted, just enough to be fantastic skit writers. On top of that, they do damn fine character pieces, and are able to stretch ideas out over entire skits (something I felt was missing from Foley and McDonald's work in the beginning of season 2 at the very least, besides the Hecubus bits).

so it's between them. In the past I always looked down on McKinney because of SNL, but I realize now (10 years after having formed the opinion at far too young an age) that that's not even remotely fair or reasonable.

I could talk about this for hours. I probably should rewatch Mr. Show after I'm done with this season, until I order 3-5.
    Bruce was esoteric to the point that at times his comedy became indecipherable, but when he's on? It's absurdist genius with just enough edge to really cut into a meaty little bit of society.

Scott's hilarious, but his major contribution is gaying the show up at a time that wasn't so accepted in comedy, and being far and away the best actor in the troupe.

Mark I like, he's solid, but I couldn't recognize the sketches that belonged to him. Before they were ever picked up, wasn't it Mark and Bruce that were briefly hired as SNL writers?

Dave is just the ultimate straight man, and Kevin is the physical embodiment of "funny," but they weren't the idea geniuses that stirred the drink.

• Options
    edited October 2007
    I knew a guy named Elliot. He drove a DeLorean with a Chevy 4.3L V6 in it.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Elendil wrote: »

:(
    Fuck

Now to jump off a bridge

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Man, Yeats ain't improving no one these days, and "The Wasteland" is just that.

There's plenty of people who are "hipsters" that are good people, have interesting tastes, and are good people to know, but people just judge them on their fashion and the fact that they have an opinion that runs contrary to something they like. That's my fucking take on it.
    I've known a good number of hipsters that I liked a lot, and some that I thought were poseurs or dickheads or douchebags. I guess it's pretty much that way with any "kind" of people, though it does kind of seem like hipsters are a little more up-front with whatever traits they have that might piss you off.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fuck damn it. I have to work tomorrow.
    FUCK DAMN IT.

Night.

_J_ on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I think Keats is overrated. I mean, I like him and all, I just don't think he deserves all the hype he gets. Agatha Christie is fun, but I wouldn't consider her an essential component of any thinking person's library.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I knew a guy named Elliot. He drove a DeLorean with a Chevy 4.3L V6 in it.

That was him.
    He threw a flux capacitor in that shit, warped back to 1927, moved to England, and wrote Four Quartets.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    WQAI t

WAIT EAIT WAIT

JENNIFER LOZPES IS PRDUCING A MOVIE

WHAT THE SHIT

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And just for the record the only poet I care for is WH Auden, the rest are all just hacks*.

*not really, but I don't really like them, either.

• Options
    edited October 2007
    I want sleep.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    god damnit inuzxfya get the fuck off cartoon netwoerkt

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeats is better than Elliot

I mean jesus fuck everything is better than Elliot

At his best, Yeats was really good.

But mostly he just wanted to write about snuggly kittens and the leaves turning color at Autumn and a nice fire in the fireplace.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Foucault

do not get me started on fucking foucault

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Bruce was esoteric to the point that at times his comedy became indecipherable, but when he's on? It's absurdist genius with just enough edge to really cut into a meaty little bit of society.

Scott's hilarious, but his major contribution is gaying the show up at a time that wasn't so accepted in comedy, and being far and away the best actor in the troupe.

Mark I like, he's solid, but I couldn't recognize the sketches that belonged to him. Before they were ever picked up, wasn't it Mark and Bruce that were briefly hired as SNL writers?

Dave is just the ultimate straight man, and Kevin is the physical embodiment of "funny," but they weren't the idea geniuses that stirred the drink.

yeah I'd pretty much say you hit the nail on the head there.

I'd really, really like to be a comedy writer. If I haven't made that abundantly clear (and I don't mean by being funny).

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.