Options

[Steam] The Turkey Coma Dale Fest Party Long Weekend Thing has arrived!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Also out tomorrow, and more worthy of attention:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/295790/

Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna), a game about Alaskan Native folklore, developed with assistance from the actual natives. With two absolutely adorable central characters.

I totally read that in Movie Announcer Voice.

Developed with assistance from THE ACTUAL NATIVES! With two ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE central characters!"

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I think Never Alone might be the work of a forumer. I want to say @Rankenphile‌ but I can't be sure.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    Happy Monday:

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think Never Alone might be the work of a forumer. I want to say @Rankenphile‌ but I can't be sure.

I am the producer on the game, yes, but I am one of many that worked on it.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Oh god Depth.

I am on board with this game.

The game mode is clever.

The presentation as a diver is fantastic.

The weapons are all surprisingly satisfying to use for being under water pew pew things.

This is a good video game. People should definitely buy it.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Depth sounds so awesome, get thee behind me vile temptation!
    I don't need to know how amazing the om nom simulator is.

However I do need to know, is there a perk for your shark so you can have a giant hook sticking out of your mouth?
    LET ME BE HOOK JAW AND I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER DEPTH!!!!:

Hookjaw2.jpg

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

That's so awesome! It looks fantastic! Do we have a price yet?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    ArcSyn wrote: »

That's so awesome! It looks fantastic! Do we have a price yet?

$14.99

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Some new giveaways!
    signature.png
    signature.png

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular

Awesome. Best of luck with it.
    I cannot wait to play it.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Just watching that beautiful trailer, I'm reminded of The Last Guardian.

Which makes me afraid that, like the PA comic of the time suggested ...

558263988_NkyXZ-L-2.jpg

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG Mordheim: City of the Damned is coming to Steam.

Die-die man-thing!

Now I just need Necromunda and Warhammer Quest (with multiplayer, etc etc).

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    dLB1cpg.png
    All images lovingly stolen from Valve because I'm terrible at photoshop

So you own a lot of games. But they're just sitting there in your backlog, doing nothing for you. Do you know what you need?

Steam Trading Cards

So you've got that game that you want to get, but are just a dollar short in your Steam Wallet and can't bring yourself to pull out the credit card. Do you know what you neeD?

Steam Trading Cards

So you like the Steam Community, but think your profile is kinda drab. Do you know what you need?

Steam. Trading. Cards.

About a year and a half ago, Valve introduce this little meta-game into the Steam Community called Steam Trading Cards, which has since been added to Literally thousands of games. In order to get your cards, you need to play your games - crazy concept for people in this thread, I know. As you play the game, cards will periodically appear in your inventory until you've gotten all drops available for that game - always half of a complete set. Free to Play games work a little differently, where you get 1 drop every $9 USD (appx) spent in the game.
    02.png?v=3

So now you've got your cards, the question is what to do with them. Well, there's three main options:
    • Sell them on the market
    • Build a full set of cards
    • Trade/gift them with/to friends

The market works like a stock market - you'll put yours up for sale at whatever price you're looking for, and buyers can list the prices they're interested in buying cards at. There's even historical data for the card available on the card's page if you check before listing, so don't just list it for 3 cents, or whatever the current cheapest one is. Maybe you can make more of a profit!
    kYPGiji.png

d67yQvS.png

If you want to build a full set, you just do the same, but in reverse! Click the buy button, choose the amount you want to pay for the card, and then let the buy order sit until a match can be found. If one already exists, you'll get it immediately, or if you choose a price cheaper than what's listed, you'll get it when someone lists it. Higher prices take priority in the queue, so if you make one for 10 cents, and there's another buy order for 15 cents, if a card is listed for 10 cents, the 15 cent listing will take priority. And obviously, you've got to already have the money in your wallet in order for the order to take place.

Once you've got that set built, you can go and craft a badge. Go to the "Badges" page under your profile dropdown, and you should see something like this:
    EFKnKt9.png

Clicking the "ready" button will cause a silly little animation to play, and you'll be rewarded with a badge. Badges are little bling for your profile to show that you've crafted a badge.
    03.png?v=4

Each badge can be leveled up to level 5 (so 5 complete sets of cards), with the exception of foil badges, which can only be crafted once. Foil badges are crafted from foil cards, which drop in place of normal cards approximately 1% of the time.

In addition to your badges, you'll get emoticons, coupons, and profile backgrounds for the game in question.
    07.png?v=306.png?v=2

Truthfully, emoticons are mostly useless because the messenger window is so tiny, although there's a few which are worthwhile. Coupons can be hit or miss - their value varies from 25% or so at the low end to as much as 90% (although those are obviously more rare), but tend to be on the sorts of games which are on the weeklong deals. It's rare to get a coupon for a real AAA game. That being said, they are discounts, and discounts are always nice. Backgrounds, on the other hand, can be applied to your profile, and some of those are simply excellent artwork.
    52b78da6ab5602292e43928bb3822d892c7c7c0a.jpg

39390fed1f87c46ae85017ffbcd13ab8fa4af6f6.jpg

b9c7941bb2fbfc64937d46842796d1281455e692.jpg

Also, each card (if you click on them) has much more detailed artwork themselves, and once you've crafted a badge, you can access that artwork regardless of whether or not you have the card. Some of these are super nice!
    7d60caf3b9e443ee8459e3f1a38cdb894be8d9d6.jpg

218a3d636ae52473b61bde10d0c2c2766d6fc35e.jpg

tBRr69D.jpg

In addition to this, you get 100 XP. That's right, Steam itself is a game now! As you gain experience points, your Steam account will level up. Levels 0-10 cost 100XP per level, 11-20 cost 200XP, and so on and so forth. Every 10 levels, you get 5 more spots on your friends list added, and the ability to add new sections to your profile.
    09.png?v=210.png?v=2

And finally, being higher level increases your chances of getting booster packs. Once you've gotten all card drops for a given game, any time anyone crafts a badge, a booster pack is generated and given to someone, somewhere in the world who is eligible for that game. Booster packs can be sold like items, or opened to get 3 cards (which could include foils, but once more only 1% odds). At level 10 you get a 20% boost to your chances, level 20 a 40% boost, and so on and so forth. So as you level up, you'll get booster packs much more frequently.

Now, buying cards isn't the only way to get cards. You can trade them, too!

If you go to the badge page for a badge you're looking for, and scroll below the cards, there will be a listing of people on your friends list who have the cards you're missing.
    qMDt60c.png

You can then submit a trade or send a message to any of them to see what they'd want. And if none of your friends have cards, there's a number of places you can go to try to find trades, which will save you money in the long run, since Valve and the developer don't take their cut of the transaction of buying a card.
    But what about special sales?

2013-12-19_18-45-06.jpg

Well, it will change from sale to sale, so I'll refrain from giving specific advice. However, the following rules seem to be the standards anymore
    • There will be special badges for the sale, with 10 cards per level
    • The badge can be leveled up infinitely, including the foil badge. Some of these go up STUPID high. For example, here is the Holiday Sale 2013 badge for level 2000+: e041163b0c4d5cba61fb54612973612636cdd970.png
    • You will get one card for every set of other cards you craft, in place of coupons
    • You will get one card for every $10 you spend in the store.
    • You will get one card for every 3 times you vote in the User Choice poll (every 8 hours, so one per day).
    • Cards will expire one day after the sale ends, so they must be sold or crafted by then, or they will disappear.
    • You will get some bonus item for a free to play game which can be redeemed for your account or sold if you craft a sale badge, 3 items if it's a foil.

This past summer summer, there was another metagame where everyone was split into teams, so it was potentially better to hold onto your cards. Last holiday, there was just items and some of them were quire rare and valuable, so crafting as soon as possible was the best option. I'd recommend taking a stance of "wait and see," particularly for the first morning of the sale - Steam gets hammered at the start of the sale, and it's not uncommon for item drops to get screwed up if you craft around update (10am PST). Either commit to being early, or wait until the rush has passed.

So that's the long and short of it. If you've got any questions, feel free to PM me. Some other resources for you to check out:

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Let me know if there's anything you guys think I missed. There's a lot of stuff to cover, but I think I got all of it.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Oh god Depth.

I am on board with this game.

The game mode is clever.

The presentation as a diver is fantastic.

The weapons are all surprisingly satisfying to use for being under water pew pew things.

This is a good video game. People should definitely buy it.

It's been on my list since I saw the first video. Looks super fun and super tense.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    ^ Also there's a lot of weird indie games that have Steam trading cards that go for a lot, I felt weird playing Vanguard Princess, a game that forces you to pick an Elin-esque character, but couldn't complain making $0.80 off a regular trading card from it ;D (it's also a really good fighting game despite the elins, and the bundle it's currently in also has some other good indie games as well)

Also, this list has a nice compilation of games available in bundles that have trading cards, you can sometimes spend $1-3 on a bundle that yields way more than that in Steam trading cards

Zavian on
  • Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    ^ Also there's a lot of weird indie games that have Steam trading cards that go for a lot, I felt weird playing Vanguard Princess, a game that forces you to pick an Elin-esque character, but couldn't complain making $0.80 off a regular trading card from it ;D

Also, this list has a nice compilation of games available in bundles that have trading cards, you can sometimes spend $1-3 on a bundle that yields way more than that in Steam trading cards

Added.

And yeah, for whatever reason we're not going to bother commenting on, anime cards always seem to go for higher.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    @Shade felt I needed more anime boobs in my life, thanks for Sakura Spirit

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    ^ Also there's a lot of weird indie games that have Steam trading cards that go for a lot, I felt weird playing Vanguard Princess, a game that forces you to pick an Elin-esque character, but couldn't complain making $0.80 off a regular trading card from it ;D

Added.

And yeah, for whatever reason we're not going to bother commenting on, anime cards always seem to go for higher.

The most valuable item of all though is that marijuana leaf emoticon from Port Royale III, I think.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Not just anime. Female anatomy often commands a premium.

Awesome card write-up. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

Added.

The most valuable item of all though is that marijuana leaf emoticon from Port Royale III, I think.

Nah. It's definitely up there at over $9, but the truly stupid expensive ones are rare ones few people have. Like this one.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Oh great SteamThread, weird question time.

So...When i load up Steam it always, always opens up to Knightmare Tower (a game i havenae played at all for some time now). i can't understand why it does that, or what option i could click to make it stop? It'd be nice if it just went to last game played, really.

Also, @Jragghen‌ , that is a sweet-ass SteamCards write-up. Well done.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Wow @Jragghen , that is a way more comprehensive write-up than any I've ever seen on cards. Well done!

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

That is fucking awesome.

Is it the tender story of an Inuit boy and his trusty dog crossing the continent in search of the famed hookers and blow of Delaware? ;)
    For reals awesome, though.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    @akajaybay‌ - My Dragon Age Inquisition is arriving tomorrow (physical copy, yo!). Feel free to add me on Origin: I'm Luchaire there. (and anyone else diving into awesome Dragon Age goodness)

Added, although I know not when I'll be able to grab Inquisition. But it will happen.

Anyone else, please feel free to add me on Origin also for Inquisition or Mass Effect 3 purposes. I'm JazzMX5 there, same as Steam.

Jazz on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    First world problems.
    ea5q6.jpg

• Options
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    subi wrote: »
    I have lot of room space for more friends :)Let's make big party :D

One time I was in Germany, and me and a couple of friends were accosted on a night out by this incredibly camp German couple. And one of them kept inviting us to this party they were going to, the highlight of it all was him swinging his shirt around his head while yelling "LET'S MAKE PARTY! COME UP TO MY TREEHOUSE WE CAN MAKE PARTY!" over and over.

In other news I bought a new GPU and was going to celebrate with a steam shopping trip, but it doesn't work out with my mobo so now I must drop more monies on the computron. Let this be a lesson kids, don't be half a simpleton when it comes to upgrading your rig!
    (I hate my life)

LET'S MAKE PARTY GUYS!

Totally unrelated but that made me think of...

LET'S FIGHTING LOVE!

(NSFW lyrics if anyone's unfamiliar with it)

• Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    So...boobs. Thanks @an_alt.
    8G9RLQO.jpg

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/214730/

Space Rangers 2: HD: Electric Boogaloo is only five or so bux right now!

This is a re-release of one of my favorite games ever ever ever! Grab a copy! Be a space pirate! Be a space ranger! Play or ignore a somewhat crap rts battle mode! Enjoy arcade dogfights! Enjoy turn based dog fights! Play in concerts! Go to prison! Whatever! Its awesome!

I played the original half to death, but I think I'll have anuvver go with this version.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks to our new (?) chum @subi for Legend of Dungeon! Very classy of you. :)

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So I'm trapped at work due to a major outage while my wife is at home not feeling well. Did my best to catch up on the thread in the downtime between conversations on the call. Now I'm posting from my phone.

I could be home playing Diablo 3 or Binding of Isaac or any number of games but instead I'm stuck here. Someone save me!

EDIT: Obviously games would happen AFTER I make sure my wife is in a blanket cocoon on the couch with anything she needs within reach.

Mudzgut on
    steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    Gear Girl wrote: »

This is the new Bad Rats, huh?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

But apparently its good!

A better comparison to Bad Rats would probably be Vanguard Princess with its "fanservice DLC."

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    So I'm trapped at work due to a major outage while my wife is at home not feeling well. Did my best to catch up on the thread in the downtime between conversations on the call. Now I'm posting from my phone.

I could be home playing Diablo 3 or Binding of Isaac or any number of games but instead I'm stuck here. Someone save me!

EDIT: Obviously games would happen AFTER I make sure my wife is in a blanket cocoon on the couch with anything she needs within reach.

I'm just going to assume you're LARPing This War of Mine.

Only hopefully with fewer bullets. And that sort of thing.

- - - - -

Seriously, hope you and Mrs Gut are alright out there. Stay safe and well. <3

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    There is a lot I'm liking about Saints Row 4, but some stuff just makes me not want to play it. I hate the fraud missions. They are hard and not fun (or just can't figure out how to do them properly). I also can't stand that chasing a ball around is the only way to to stop enemies from constantly spawning around you. There's nothing that makes me more angry than never ending spawns and bullets flying at you from everywhere. Lastly, the city is just not very interesting. Every place feels the same, and there doesn't feel like there is any reason to explore. I'm going to just stick to main missions now I think and see if that can keep me interested, but I'm sad this game isn't sucking me in like that first hour made me think it would.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fraud is the best activity, what are you talking about? Oh, you haven't figured out the trick.

The trick is, you start super-sprinting then jump in the air and then ragdoll while in midair and go flying across the city and bounce about ten times before coming to a stop.

And if you don't feel like chasing the golden orb around, you can just keep fucking dudes up until a warden shows up. Kill him and no more enemies.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    f3rret wrote: »
    So I picked up This War Of Mine and I like it. Some people claim it's too easy, but they must be superhuman or I'm too picky. I keep starting over thinking that I can do things better, so I haven't played past day 8 or so. It looks a lot like Deadlight, but is completely different. You mouseclick to tell people where to move and what to do, so I can see why they didn't put controller support in. There are some random parts to the game, so there should be a decent amount of replay value. You always start with the same two survivors, but the third one is random. The locations you can explore are randomly revealed to you, but the maps are static. For example, you may not always get the Supermarket, but if you do, the Supermarket always looks the same. The loot you find is random, and there are also random events and people on the maps. So even though you've been the the Supermarket in a previous playthrough, it may be a completely different situation this time.

Apropos of nothing.... does anyone know what the going rate for selling blood is?

I got to play a little of it over the weekend too. I only had time to do one play through where I died after fifteen days, mostly down to starvation but I wasn't going to let them die of that so in my delirious induced hunger state I sent them off to fight armed guards with their fists and a shovel. Who knew bullets would do more damage?

If I was to describe the game after my short time with it I'd say it's a lot like a 2D point-and-click version of State of Decay. Replace the zombies with bandits and you have a lot of similarities.

You need to manage and scavenge for food, parts, ammo and herbs for medicine. You can use the parts to upgrade your base to build more things or make them more efficient, thus reducing resources.
    You can make make cigarettes from the herbal bench to use for trades with other people, or medicine to treat sickness.
    The people you manage will have different attributes. For my play through one was a fast runner so he was useful in scavenge situations where I needed to bail quickly.
    Another guy was a good cook so he'd use less resources when cooking food compared to others doing the same job.
    The female in my base was a good negotiator which helped for doing trades.

During the day you are back at base where it allows you to scavenge the areas you haven't already, rest up your people if they are tired, wounded or sick.
    Upgrade your base, cook food or do trades with strangers that come knocking on your door.

Once 8PM hits your can go scavenge. During this time you get to choose who you want to send on the scavenge run and what you want to do with the remaining people you have at base.
    You can let them sleep or be on guard duty. Guard duty helps to protect your base from other bandits robbing you while you're out on a scavenge run.
    You have until about 6AM or 7AM to complete your scavenge. If you don't get out before then, your character has to risk returning do base during daylight where I suspect anything can happen. Death, or battle wounds maybe.

I know others have said maybe wait for a sale if you're on the fence about it. Overall I enjoyed what I played of it.
    It's the kind of game I like to sit down with over a cup of coffee and think about what I'm going to do.
    While it is a mouse driven game, I get the feeling this is the kind of game that may show up on Tablets down the line as context buttons and the way other things are laid out on screen lends itself to being touch friendly for a mobile device.

So something other than State of Decay, the Rebuild series, and the Last Stand series, and neo scavenger to scratch that survival itch. But like the first 3 of that list, this has character management.

Wishlisted

Oh, and there's a rumor going around that they gave away free cd keys on some torrenting sites to spread good will.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Not at all.

Sakura Spirit is actually good (despite the blatant fanservice). The story is interesting throughout, the characters amusing, the ending worthwhile.

Also, the cards sell for $lewt.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

Not at all.

Sakura Spirit is actually good (despite the blatant fanservice). The story is interesting throughout, the characters amusing, the ending worthwhile.

Also, the cards sell for $lewt.

I look at the store page and cringe, then the thread says it's good and I get confused, then I see it's $3.39 for the next 42 hours.

Nnnnnrrrughhhh.

Fine, I'm buying it, but I'm getting two other games to stick it between so the guy at the register doesn't look at me funny.

I hate you all.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Thanks to our new (?) chum @subi for Legend of Dungeon! Very classy of you. :)

...and Thief Gold (which I sadly already had on GOG), and Zero Gear, and Rochard!?!?!

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.