Options

[Steam] The Turkey Coma Dale Fest Party Long Weekend Thing has arrived!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Oh man I totally forgot that monoprice existed.

They are the best place to get HDMI cables.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Quick procedural question while i've got the time and brain capacity to ask.

If you change your Method of Payment, does the store keep you from doing transactions for a certain point, or something? i feel like something like that came up during the Summer Sale, but i cannae remember off-hand. 's just that J-Steam has added webmoney as an option, and they actually sell cards in convenience stores over here. Not routing everything through my wife's credit card will make both of us feel better, i think.

In gaming-stuffs, i really wanted to put up some kind of review on Super Time Force Ultra, i really did; but i just cannae get away from BoI:R, so that's not going to work out. The quick two-cents 20minutes in version is:

i like it in concept, right now. The art direction is excellent (think a more expressive Risk of Rain, which i also love), the writing is goofy and very 80's-esque. The main conceit of rewinding time and adding in a new character to (f'rex) save someone from getting shot is...cool, but i'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around how to use it well. The game (at least thus far) does not reward playing drunk. Base gameplay is decent enough, Contra-like, not excessively difficult (again, so far) to do, but really tough to do well.

So...i want to say i recommend it, but i haven't really put in the time yet to say it's a must-buy. Still...i mean...they've got a guy named Jef Leppard, how can you turn your nose up at that?

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Chris: waffle king

I think the issue is with Steam market purchases, and not regular Steam purchases, when you switch methods of payment. I've never actually run into the issue, and I've changed between debit and (multiple)* credit cards.

* Thanks, silly-geese-like-Home-Despot-who-keep-getting-their-servers-compromised.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    And now I'm installing Deus Ex. I havn't finished FF VII, or Borderlands 2 I was playing. Why do I need another RPG installed? Thread, you are killing me.

In other news, I'm broke. But my Santee should be happy. I have dropped hints, oh, I want to say so much. Things are ordered. Things are placed on lay away. Everything is in place. Not to wait till after turkey day.

I'm going to play borderlands 2, deus ex isn't installed yet.

Oh, and I vote farming sim. I havn't played it, but from what I have scene it is nice and relaxing for person who wanted an escape.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Dog was limping for the last couple days, found a problematic toe on investigation so took her to the vet, $553 later we know it's not a break or sprain. To justify knocking her out and doing x-rays and such, they've given us anti-inflammatorys and anti-biotics, as well as a foot soak to perform twice daily in a sandwich bag. Should be good times. Will still participate in Winter Dale, people who know you're on target are still on target. I am sick as fuck, have no voice, will spend tomorrow in bed. That is all.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    "Chris: waffle king"

I think the issue is with Steam market purchases, and not regular Steam purchases, when you switch methods of payment. I've never actually run into the issue, and I've changed between debit and (multiple)* credit cards.

* Thanks, silly-geese-like-Home-Despot-who-keep-getting-their-servers-compromised.

Ah, keen beans, danke kindly for the heads up.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Far Cry 3 is a long ass game.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    For the new thread:
    signature.png

One hour remains.

I won! Thanks, @ArcSyn! I'll try just about any adventure game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah I got Aquaria ages ago in a bundle I think. It's neat! It's kind of overshadowed by the sheer number of Metroid-alikes that have come out recently, but it's good and calming.

I used to own it and regardless of the other metroidvanias that I've played it still measures up with its unique style. I just can't find my old code and the antiquated tech support system did not garner any help.

In all honesty, if I didn't know there was a sale impending I'd just grab it. But it would be nice to see if I could get it for slightly cheaper. I'll wait until the Winter Gale and if it's still not on sale I should just grab it, since it sounds like sales for it are rare.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    On a whim I decided to check out how the new Carmageddon game is going in Early Access these days

No content or game-related update since July... Hmm, might hold off this one a while longer :sad:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Yeah I got Aquaria ages ago in a bundle I think. It's neat! It's kind of overshadowed by the sheer number of Metroid-alikes that have come out recently, but it's good and calming.

I used to own it and regardless of the other metroidvanias that I've played it still measures up with its unique style. I just can't find my old code and the antiquated tech support system did not garner any help.

In all honesty, if I didn't know there was a sale impending I'd just grab it. But it would be nice to see if I could get it for slightly cheaper. I'll wait until the Winter Gale and if it's still not on sale I should just grab it, since it sounds like sales for it are rare.

Aquaria nicely ties in with the soothing game recommendations of the last page too. There is even a wonderful mod where you can simply explore and soak up all the awesomeness of the setting without having to do any fighty/story stuff, @either,or.

Still up there as one of my favourite games. And, oh my, I've said it before, but if anyone ever created a TES-style game in an Aquaria-like vast underwater setting, I'd melt into a puddle of pure joy.

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I think Deus Ex is one of those games that I enjoy more in passing anecdotally from other people than I ever did playing it. But I haven't played much of it.

edit: For example, I think former PCGamer writer Tom Francis (dude made Gunpoint, yall) had a feature where he played Deus Ex without ever killing anyone directly or taking part in physical acts of violence.

He also did a similar feature on Skyrim, wherein he was only allowed to use illusion magic

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Skyrim's illusion magic sucks balls until you get into the college of winterhold.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Skyrim's illusion magic sucks balls until you get into the college of winterhold.

In this case, I think the illusionist magic's ineffectiveness was part of the gag.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Man wut. Deus Ex was the best. I had so much fun in that game. So many different methods of completing objectives. It was great.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Also, that sound you heard was twenty people (including me) re-installing DX. It's so good, even though the farthest I've ever gotten was getting out of UNATCO.

Savage?

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Ah! Has anyone mentioned Battleblock Theatre being the weekend sale? If not, then i'm mentioning it now, i suppose.

Anyhow, it's only something like 5bucks, and is awesome. You should get it now, whilst it's cheap.

i'd do a harder sell, but my honeybunny's waiting with greenbeans, so, we'll leave it at that.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, so I finally moved. I'm now in a flat with access to a fiber connection of 100Mbps!

...except that the router is on the other bloody side of the house and the flat is old and therefore so thick and labyrinthine that even with a wifi repeater I get about 7 Mbps maximum in my own room according to speedtest (which, granted, is still way better than what I had before). Whenever I want to actually download something I'm going to have to go to the family living room with the huge computer, connect everything, and connect directly through ethernet there, with all the accompanying complaining by the family.

So close and yet so far. Wah.

You can find 100ft ethernet cables for like $8-$15 in Ameridollars on Amazon, they shouldn't be too expensive in Europe (which is where I am assuming you live since you said "flat").

Get white ones and run them along your baseboards with cable clips (basically tiny hooks that go into your walls like nails) and you'll hardly even notice it (assuming your walls are white). Alternately you can route it up the wall and have it follow the edge where your ceiling meets the walls, or you can even run it through heating vents if possible (most cat5 cabling is rated for use up to anywhere from 150-200f).

Then you'll get sweet, sweet hardline speeds without having to lug your system around the house whenever you want to download something large.

This is what me and my parents have decided to do after some talking, yeah. It's going to take a bit of doing because there's three doors in the way and two of them need to be close-able, therefore it's going to require making some holes and a LOT of cable clips (we've measured it's going to take like 40m of cables to get to both rooms) and a lot of work, but this is the plan when we have a little free time to work with and some tools.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Man wut. Deus Ex was the best. I had so much fun in that game. So many different methods of completing objectives. It was great.

Have you played it lately? Does it hold up?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I didn't play deus Ex until it was ridiculously old - I think I played it maybe half a year before Human Revolution came out. Well, I had played it before but I quit in frustration at my inability to properly knock people out nonlethally - turned out that while the game said to aim for the head, the baton works properly when you hit a person's spine, and I started the game like four times and quit in irritation at it being "impossible" to knock someone out without getting shot in the process until someone told me that.

Once that hurdle was defeated, I found it to be a pretty good game on its own merits, with literally zero nostalgia for it. .

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

It felt pretty dated to me, certainly not as bad as some but without a nostalgia to keep me going I just lost interest. This is after multiple new games (I would put it down so long I'd just forget where I was and what I was doing) with 12 hours played so I did give it a fair shot.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

It felt pretty dated to me, certainly not as bad as some but without a nostalgia to keep me going I just lost interest. This is after multiple new games (I would put it down so long I'd just forget where I was and what I was doing) with 12 hours played so I did give it a fair shot.

It feels dated to me as well. I was more into Half-Life and CS 1.4 back then, so I never got around to playing Deus Ex. I tried a couple years ago, and I could certainly see the charm. Unfortunately, it had a bug that would randomly increase or decrease play speed every time I started the game. Sometimes I'd be playing in slow motion, sometimes ridiculously fast motion. It became unwieldy, so I just quit.

I can definitely see why it has a huge following, but I don't see that I'll be able to finish it without some sort of modernization.

At the same time, I could easily see someone saying the same thing about Half-Life.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Very interesting article from the Defender's Quest guys about how the new Steam frontpage layout and Discovery Queue and whatnot affected traffic to their game page and game sales.

They also mention how some devs have reported that sales for their game went down after the steam update. Guessing that is the user review system biting them in the ass.

Isorn on
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Whoa! These thread pages fly like no tomorrow. I feel like I am missing out... :(

C'mon Firebird! Don't let yourself get distracted! Surely you can find the time to-
    *Sees 3DS store with Smash Bros*

WEEELL FUCK!!
    _____

I don't think I will participate in the Winter Sales as much as I did last year. Since I am trying to monitor my budget more closely.
    But I will at least give to Let's Play when December holiday rolls around.

Not to mention I will commit to my annual [at least a once a day] rhyming comment spree when the winter sales hit.

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Does anyone want one of my Insurgency copies? PM me!

Steam: offday
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I recommend playing through Deus Ex using the greatest walkthrough in the existence of video games.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I've redeemed two! insurgency keys, and it's not in my account, what is this madness.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Grats @Talus‌ !
    signature.png
    No more giveaways at the moment, I had major scooter problems past few days which has sucked me dry. There's no way I'll be able to resist the craziness next week though so should have some more giveaways after Thanksgiving ;D

• Options
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I've redeemed two! insurgency keys, and it's not in my account, what is this madness.

Wanna try a third time? :wink:

• Options
    I'm afraid it'd just be wasting the key at this point

• Options
    edited November 2014

Well, if no one else wants it, I have no problem throwing it at you. :biggrin:

Edit: make sure you aren't just looking at your installed games, though. Common mistake.

Kalnaur on
  • Options

Edit: make sure you aren't just looking at your installed games, though. Common mistake.

Even on the store page it says "buy this game" instead of "already in your library". But thanks for the offer!

• Options
    subisubi Registered User regular
    Your game is locked on steam ? try contact HB support or steam.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Even on the store page it says "buy this game" instead of "already in your library". But thanks for the offer!

Errr, just one thing, because this happened to me like a week ago.

When you clicked "redeem to my account" (or whatever, on HB), did you make sure it said "redeemed!" or something?
    Because that happened to me, just that instead of redeemed it was something like "can't redeem" or something because the SteamID link to my HB account had expired and it asked me to login again through Steam.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    subi wrote: »
    Your game is locked on steam ? try contact HB support or steam.

I'd try HB support first, even if they just tell you to contact steam you'll get a response within a couple of days as opposed to a couple of months.

• Options
    I think steam support is faster than HB ,but both of them gave their best to solve problems :)

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

I didn't play deus Ex until it was ridiculously old - I think I played it maybe half a year before Human Revolution came out. Well, I had played it before but I quit in frustration at my inability to properly knock people out nonlethally - turned out that while the game said to aim for the head, the baton works properly when you hit a person's spine, and I started the game like four times and quit in irritation at it being "impossible" to knock someone out without getting shot in the process until someone told me that.

Once that hurdle was defeated, I found it to be a pretty good game on its own merits, with literally zero nostalgia for it. .

Headshots in Deus Ex's implementation of the Unreal Engine are bugged. One of the mods fixes it I guess (or, "fixes it" as best it can within the limitations of the engine). I don't remember what it's called, but I held on to this info should I ever decide to play through Deus Ex and get farther than shattering my legbones during the tutorial and laughing.

y6NLwMX.png

Kq0gQgl.png

• Options
    I had to reconnect my steam account it looks like. Got it now.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

Visually probably not but the mechanics are solid. They've been done better and the animation might throw you off a bit but it is still, very much playable.

• Options
    Looks like Gravi is getting some fix now .I just hear that from producer ;)

This discussion has been closed.