Options

The [JRPG] thread. Fuck FF7, THERE'S A NEW NIER!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So what's the actual relationship between all these Xeno-thing games? I bought Xenosaga part 1, got about eight hours in, threw it in the trash because the Gamestop trade in value wouldn't have covered the gas to drive it there, and have assumed since then that Xeno-thing fans must be crazy people. But it sounds like that game was an aberration from an otherwise decent series?

xenogears is its own story, but it refers to a lot of stuff that happens within its own universe's past a lot in flashbacks or past lives.

xenosaga is a retelling/reimagining of xenogears, but loosely.

xenoblade is apparently pretty cool as well but I've never played it beyond the first 30 minues

I'd say if you like old school jrpgs check out xenogears as its on psn, and probably xenoblade if you like newer kind of open world psuedo mmo jrpgs.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Causality, Prof, you have it backwards. People who have played the game are dumping on it, and sourcing that wiki entry as an example of why for the people who haven't.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    like i'm not saying "oh you shouldn't use the Christ so callously" i'm saying if you're going to put that in your game you have lost total control of how buttfuck stupid your story is and should go to writing jail

Nah

Just depends on how it is used

I haven't played ep 3 so can't really comment for sure, but I at least appreciate to some extent them just using actual Jesus Christ instead of a heavy handed, ignorantly made stand in.

I've played 3.

It's incredibly dumb.

nah

it's gucci

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Causality, Prof, you have it backwards. People who have played the game are dumping on it, and sourcing that wiki entry as an example of why for the people who haven't.

Fair enough. My apologies for doing the very thing I was accusing people of doing.

I don't think "I hate that they put this thing in it just because they did" is a valid argument, regardless.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    This is what drove me away the most when I played and am wondering if there's any answer for it later on

There's space ghosts that can only be made physical with a special device. An entire fleet of ships is destroyed because they start firing at the space ghosts, which again are intangible. They have interacted with them before which is why a device exists to make them tangible

None of the ships have said device. Nobody thinks to turn it on. Several minutes after the space ghosts appear somebody finally activates the only device in the fleet placed in the body of a combat gynoid

the answer is the writers are criminals and no one in the series behaves like a human being

except the cyborg whom they intentionally portray as attempting to abandon his humanity

the vast majority of characters literally are not human

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I'm not even arguing that the story or usage is any good

Its just this only seems to be a small ping on the jrpg bullshit meter

Not really sure why it is such a big deal

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    This is what drove me away the most when I played and am wondering if there's any answer for it later on

There's space ghosts that can only be made physical with a special device. An entire fleet of ships is destroyed because they start firing at the space ghosts, which again are intangible. They have interacted with them before which is why a device exists to make them tangible

None of the ships have said device. Nobody thinks to turn it on. Several minutes after the space ghosts appear somebody finally activates the only device in the fleet placed in the body of a combat gynoid

the answer is the writers are criminals and no one in the series behaves like a human being

except the cyborg whom they intentionally portray as attempting to abandon his humanity

There is exactly one human in the group (at least in the first game) and even she comes with some tangents.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Xenoblade is a high quality jurp

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Also, plenty of stories are awesome, even in cliff notes form. If the cliff notes of your story is dumb, it's very likely that the story is dumb and is only supported, in-context, by other things.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

if this is like a small blip i honestly don't know why you like this genre

you have been exposed to too much, gone too deep

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Xenoblade is a high quality jurp

It's alright

Ridiculously pretty, for sure

• Options
    I'm gonna cliff notes Xenoblade real quick

A young mechanic with a future-sword seeks revenge on people-eating robots. The robots come from the ROBOT TITAN, while the humans and other species come from the BIOLOGICAL TITAN. The future sword is BAD NEWS.

Yeah all right gimme that Jurp

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

ah good i am sure glad to experience this plot where no one behaves in a manner i find logical or with whom i can identify then

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I'd say if you like old school jrpgs check out xenogears as its on psn, and probably xenoblade if you like newer kind of open world psuedo mmo jrpgs.

I don't even like psudo-mmo jrpgs, for the most part, and I loved Xenoblade.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

if this is like a small blip i honestly don't know why you like this genre

you have been exposed to too much, gone too deep

Again, you're saying you hate that they put this thing in a game even though you're not offended by its inclusion, yet you hate that it's in there anyway for no specific reason other than it being in there.

I just don't

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I like JURPS.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    i hate all of xenosaga

i am singling out jesus christ's inclusion because it to me is a prime example of the incompetence and perceived importance of the writers

their belief that they are telling a story so epic it concerns THE CHRIST HIMSELF (and also mary magdalene and mary magdalene's ~lesbian friend~)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    xenosaga's story is stupid, also every opinion pip has is wrong

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the more that I think the xenoblade combat was hamstrung by having a cooldown bar you had to scroll through with a controller

It works for MMOs because you just assign them each to buttons on a keyboard or mouse

Controllers just make it sort of tedious.

• Options
    Like I'm not going to go on this crusade to defend Xenosaga's story. It's the weakest of the three Xenos and they fucked up in a lot of areas where it could have been brilliant.

But in the end I still love that they attempted things virtually no other RPG has tried.

It didn't feel to me that they inserted stuff like Jesus Christ and mass genocide and child torture just for the sake of being edgy. It felt like they took those controversial themes and made an earnest attempt to present them as a mature narrative.

Whether they failed or not is up to you, but I'm still glad they gave it a shot.

• Options
    xenosaga's story is stupid, also every opinion pip has is wrong

yeah ok

• Options
    The more I think about it, the more that I think the xenoblade combat was hamstrung by having a cooldown bar you had to scroll through with a controller

It works for MMOs because you just assign them each to buttons on a keyboard or mouse

Controllers just make it sort of tedious.

An option to shortcut your favorite skills Kingdom Hearts style would have really helped, yes.

Maybe they can do something like that with the Wii U gamepad.

Holy shit I want Xenoblade X so bad.

• Options
    i hate all of xenosaga

i am singling out jesus christ's inclusion because it to me is a prime example of the incompetence and perceived importance of the writers

their belief that they are telling a story so epic it concerns THE CHRIST HIMSELF (and also mary magdalene and mary magdalene's ~lesbian friend~)

I suspect that Japanese writers don't put all that much important in Christian figures

Like I really doubt they thought they were writing anything of major significant

Its a dumb bullshit science fiction story, like so very many jrpg dumb.bullshit science fiction stories, except it uses actual Christianity instead of pseudo-Christianity.

• Options
    Still wish they had the chance to make Titus 12.

qwbz.jpg

Fuck those were some cool designs.

• Options
    Also a daily reminder that the person responsible for much of the Xeno games also wrote some of your favorite Final Fantasy characters.

• Options
    i hate all of xenosaga

I suspect that Japanese writers don't put all that much important in Christian figures

Like I really doubt they thought they were writing anything of major significant

Its a dumb bullshit science fiction story, like so very many jrpg dumb.bullshit science fiction stories, except it uses actual Christianity instead of pseudo-Christianity.

I never played Xenosaga, but

The separating of the waters from the waters in Xenoblade is actually really well-done and beautiful and most people odn't even pick up on the Biblical subtext

It's nice

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

qwbz.jpg

Those front two outfits look awful

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    man

chaos isn't even in the top 50 for worst jrpg names

It's barely even bad

Fayt Leingod is my personal favorite.

I laughed forever.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

qwbz.jpg

Those front two outfits look awful

they're all wearing the same thing, save for the two sideguys

they're not terrible but i'd definitely send them back to the drawing board

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    The yellow colored inner thigh bits.......

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    There are not nearly enough bright diagonal lines bringing the viewers eyes to the crotch

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    The yellow colored inner thigh bits.......
    JURP Fashion 101
    Make those boners POP!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Listen I am all for boners popping but that right there is just tacky

• Options
    Seems the characters were going to be mostly androids too.

yqsg.jpg

kfdj.jpg

gerj.jpg

Man, I would've been all over this. Hope they actually get to make this one day.

• Options
    sexy mandroids

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    xenogears is pretty good, disc 2 aside (I liked disc 2 personally). probably should replay it one of these days

my sister got me the ds version of chrono trigger (which I haven't played since the snes release), almost beat everything in a first clear of the game while I was stuck out in texas for a few days. do I bother checking out the DS exclusive stuff or is it not worth the trouble?

The Lost Sanctum is garbage and should be avoided at all costs. The Dimensional Vortex dungeons are okay though, and have some cool boss fights.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I never saw any problem with Xenosaga using actual Christian mythological characters. There's no real difference with that and Valkyrie Profile using a shitload of Norse mythology.

If you have a problem with a work of complete fiction borrowing characters from your religion, then perhaps you're too overzealous or oversensitive.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I never saw any problem with Xenosaga using actual Christian mythological characters. There's no real difference with that and Valkyrie Profile using a shitload of Norse mythology.

If you have a problem with a work of complete fiction borrowing characters from your religion, then perhaps you're too overzealous or oversensitive.

Yikes

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

holy shit you are so metal

• Options
    No one is insulted by xenosaga borrowing religious imagery, they're insulted by hack writers trying to make their nonsensical plot sound deep by attaching it to religious imagery.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.