Options

[chat] is what happens when you meet a man in the alps

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    ON SHAVING:

shaving can be real pleasant if you get the fancy brush and the not-disposable razor and the fancy soap! it is no longer something that i spend too much time of my day thinking about because it is fun and relaxing now

sig.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    its nasty to take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from religion

What? Why?

Implied dismissal of the value of religion and condescending sense of the person coming to the "right" answer about a major personal life decision.

Condescension and being personal stuff aside, dismissal of the value of religion is an opinion I don't think anyone has a right to get offended by

people with different views than you kinda by definition don't have a reverence for yours

I find the bolded weird because the conversation, until it got skfm'd, was all about whether it's cruel or rude to say it's "hilarious" that someone built their life around something "inherently irrational" before that ground fell out from under them.

I... what's weird about it? I'm saying "I'm responding to the bit of your sentence that was before the "and" "

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    no, you're pretty insufferable

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Seems 7 is the highest that size can go.

no one really has more than 7 it's just camera tricks and lighting and stuff

Everyone knows the moon landing was faked.

At the CIA Soundstage on Mars.

That would be a good prog rock band name.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @Atomika omg more important news in that article
    USA recently ordered a pilot for "Shooter," based on the Mark Wahlberg film.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fox are also making Minority Report into a TV show. Hmmm. Not sure the premise can stand the weight of a full season of TV.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    kk gotta run / later homps

in parting: one time, I had a religious student in my class who struggled with their religious doctrines throughout. Each unit (personal identity, mind-body problem) they knew what they were supposed to say: we have indestructible immaterial souls, and these, in conjunction with God's activity, explain the relevant phenomena. But they were also smart and paying attention, so they were themselves deeply dissatisfied with these answers. Basically they could perceive how dumb they were. But they were supposed to say them! They'd even say things in class like "well, functionalism is obviously the right position, but I'm Christian so..." By the end, I think they eventually gave up the ghost (get it?)

Anyway, I found it hilarious. Lil guy struggling against the inevitable. To borrow an analogy that people here might relate to: it was like watching someone who was into Gamergate, but then they keep reading about it, and they start getting freaked out, and eventually they're like--man, I guess it isn't about ethics in games journalism...

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I don't really agree that faith and politics are the same thing.

when it comes to how entitled to respect they are, they're the same thing to me.

I find politics to be for more ephemeral and less deserving of respect than religion, personally. I also say this as someone who is not and has never been religious.

politics are assuredly not deserving of as much respect as religion. Politics is concerned with the distribution of rights, resources and justice on earth. Religions are concerned with the metaphysical and heavenly. It's when religion dons a political face or tries to justify political action with religious dogma that the respect I have for a person's personal faith dwindles significantly.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    a

What? Why?

There are so many reasons, but a lesser one is it could be seen as essentially laughing at someone for failing to commit. It's also gossip(granted, we do a lot of this, its [chat]), and the person isnt here to talk about it.

It's being a silly goose. I don't like organized religion, but I wouldnt laugh/make fun about something like that, its a stressful experience making a solid decision about what beliefs to follow. Weather you are going in, or leaving. That person needs support and people to talk to, not people pointing fingers.

Now! On the otherhand if she treated it just as a lighthearted, its completely appropriate. But I think theres enough context here.

Eh I don't know the person we're talking about but I took P10s statement to be in general rather than specific to a person.

Which is why I questioned it. There are certainly times when it's more than appropriate to take pleasure in someone turning away from religion. The most obvious example is someone leaving a cult.

I think the distinction is the difference between taking pleasure and being a smug jerk.

I can't imagine being a smug jerk about someone who had been taken advantage of by a cult.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    dk have you encountered that every german speaks english and wants to 'practice' their english with you

I get to enjoy the opposite. I look sufficiently German and my last name is v German, so they all speak to me in German. I pretend to understand and keep up the charade as long as I can. When they switch to English, I lose. I kept a man on the train going for a solid hour.

this happened to me in Iceland a lot

people just assumed i was also Icelandic

because i am fucking gorgeous i guess

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    dk have you encountered that every german speaks english and wants to 'practice' their english with you

I get to enjoy the opposite. I look sufficiently German and my last name is v German, so they all speak to me in German. I pretend to understand and keep up the charade as long as I can. When they switch to English, I lose. I kept a man on the train going for a solid hour.
    got that nod and smile game on lock

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

when it comes to how entitled to respect they are, they're the same thing to me.

I find politics to be for more ephemeral and less deserving of respect than religion, personally. I also say this as someone who is not and has never been religious.

as a tendency, sure. But not like, inherently.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

politics are assuredly not deserving of as much respect as religion. Politics is concerned with the distribution of rights, resources and justice on earth. Religions are concerned with the metaphysical and heavenly. It's when religion dons a political face or tries to justify political action with religious dogma that the respect I have for a person's personal faith dwindles significantly.

ding ding ding

we have a winner

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    v german is not a deutsche name at all

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Fox are also making Minority Report into a TV show. Hmmm. Not sure the premise can stand the weight of a full season of TV.

It'll probably be like that tv show where a guy got the following day's newspaper and used it to stop disasters and accidents.

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »

What? Why?

It's kinda nasty to take pleasure in anything with a sort of "I told you so" kind of manner, is more how I read that.

No one gets their tailfeathers ruffled when someone says they take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from right-wing politics.

My heart is warmed when someone loses the faith in much the same way I imagine a religious person's heart is warmed when they see someone find religion.

I personally think it is presumptuous to hold my view on matters like religion as the one true and correct view point and to think all others are wrong, in much the same way that I loathe it when someone tries to proselytize to me. I think that religion is a deeply personal matter and that everyone is entitled to have whatever they believe respected and not looked down on. The only exception is where someone is being harmed by a view (like parents that won't give their children medicine).

People may be entitled to certain forms of politeness and social decency (including, e.g., crystal healing types), but I don't think there's any sense in which that extends to having their beliefs (e.g., their belief that crystals heal) respected. Some beliefs, including almost all religious ones, are pretty poor, even if ordinary social norms instruct us not to go around making a big deal out of it in mixed company.

i hereby request said politeness and social decency with reference to chat and big deals being made

I agree with this post, and am going to bow out of the discussion on religion, especially since I have not been substantively defending the merits of belief, just that it is not right to be dismissive of people's deeply held personal beliefs. Put another way, all I have really been saying on this topic is "think what you think, but don't be a dick to people that disagree just because they disagree with you."

No you did say we have to respect them for their views. Which is not the lack of being a dick. It's respect.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

the v stands for von so it's a little deutsche

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

What? Why?

Implied dismissal of the value of religion and condescending sense of the person coming to the "right" answer about a major personal life decision.

Condescension and being personal stuff aside, dismissal of the value of religion is an opinion I don't think anyone has a right to get offended by

people with different views than you kinda by definition don't have a reverence for yours

I find the bolded weird because the conversation, until it got skfm'd, was all about whether it's cruel or rude to say it's "hilarious" that someone built their life around something "inherently irrational" before that ground fell out from under them.

Oh come on let's not go there with this.

Seriously people. I like to think we're mature enough to not do this shit. We get spoken to more often then we should about not shitting up the [chat] thread about things like this.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    can we talk about butts instead

think we can all agree on those

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    All that new agey healing stuff is hilarious. Except when it gets really depressing like that lady who died of cancer recently after pushing that stuff for years. And it was totally understandable why she went down that route because the cancer was high enough up in her arm that the only thing that could have saved her was a really brutal amputation. Like removing the entire shoulder brutal.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    that's a very secular way to consider it

religion as an organizing force in family norms of justice and obligations is pretty central for most people alive on the planet today

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    no, you're pretty insufferable
    ^me?

But, that is what my post said was the general consensus, you cannot affirm AND start that affirmation with "no".

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

What? Why?

It's kinda nasty to take pleasure in anything with a sort of "I told you so" kind of manner, is more how I read that.

No one gets their tailfeathers ruffled when someone says they take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from right-wing politics.

My heart is warmed when someone loses the faith in much the same way I imagine a religious person's heart is warmed when they see someone find religion.

I personally think it is presumptuous to hold my view on matters like religion as the one true and correct view point and to think all others are wrong, in much the same way that I loathe it when someone tries to proselytize to me. I think that religion is a deeply personal matter and that everyone is entitled to have whatever they believe respected and not looked down on. The only exception is where someone is being harmed by a view (like parents that won't give their children medicine).

I totally disagree

nobody's free from being looked down on and no point of view is ever entitled respect divorced from its merits

I look down on people who think vaccination causes autism and that ghosts are real

and I don't respect it because what's there to respect?

Your own limitations as a human being.

Abdhyius, looking back on human history, there is almost near certainty that there are beliefs that you and I hold to be totally and utterly true that are just completely false. The truth is that everyone is easily capable of being wrong, no matter how smart they are, no matter how educated they are. I think you can offer that level respect to anyone's position; "I could be wrong". I feel like that should be the basis of any interaction you have with another person.

You can afford someone that politeness. You don't have to bend to their beliefs or act on them in any way, you just have to acknowledge the chance that they may legitimately have information that you do not have.

Because there is not one human being I have ever met who was as smart as they thought they were (myself highly among them).

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    that's a very secular way to consider it

religion as an organizing force in family norms of justice and obligations is pretty central for most people alive on the planet today

k

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

When I mixed in a sufficiently accent neutral "danke" I brought it to the next level.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

boobs are nothing more than fake asses . jpg

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I hope danke means thank you. I probably should have learned a few German words first.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Gonmun wrote: »

What? Why?

Oh come on let's not go there with this.

Seriously people. I like to think we're mature enough to not do this shit. We get spoken to more often then we should about not shitting up the [chat] thread about things like this.

he entered the conversation and therefore skfm'd it

it's kind of like czar'd i think

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

ding ding ding

we have a winner

omg what do i win

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »

the v stands for von so it's a little deutsche

ahhhhh that makes more sense

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Sorry.

Breast man.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

When I mixed in a sufficiently accent neutral "danke" I brought it to the next level.

Danke Kang

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Guys, the world is evil. Everything is wrong. All respect is misguided. Let's just set it on fire.

• Options

just tell people "ich liebe dich" if you agree with them and "ich liebe dich nicht" if you disagree

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I hope danke means thank you. I probably should have learned a few German words first.

It means thank you only if you pronounce it like "Donkey".

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    dCyBLYy.gif

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    danke / danke schön
    ja
    nein
    Wo ist mein Handy? Ich habe mein Handy verloren

P10 on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    as I have remarked before, it is the true form of rendering the personal as the political

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

It'll probably be like that tv show where a guy got the following day's newspaper and used it to stop disasters and accidents.

new edition or daily edition or something like that.
    i liked that show.
    there was one where a plane crashed because of geeseon the runway and also a child getting hit by a car and dying
    the guy is like I must save the 100 people on the plane! but he fails to make it to the airport. he's like im such a failure
    but he saves the childs life
    and it turns out the child's father is on the plane or is the pilot or something
    so the flight gets delayed after they call about the child
    and he winds up saving everyone and the lesson is something something sometimes the smallest actions can effect the larger things something something

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ass men don't got no drink!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.